Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Rolling Stones -Future
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:16

God knows what they'll do. Without a radical change in the setlist I think a lot of hard core fans have faded away. I guess they'll do what they think they can get away with. I assume stadiums produce the most income, which seems to be their biggest concern at this point. Not that they've given up on providing a good show for those that are still sentimental about them. Hell, I used to go see Bobby Blue Bland long after his voice was gone. Whatever floats your proverbial boat.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 24, 2017 08:39

They can set up a permanent stage in my back yard any day ...
Heck I'd even cover the power bill ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 24, 2017 09:55

bv
Bjorn
Retire.

That is the same as saying to your wife "go get lost" because she is getting older and she does look as great as the hot chicks on TV. So while the kids might enjoy their rap music or synth pop or whatever new there is we do still have the one and only STONES.

Exactly!
But to add to that, concerning these 'kids': I've never seen so much twentysomethingers ànd teenagers even, on this tour, than on the 8, 9 previous ones I attended. Being there unacompanied and 100% out of their own free will, I should add. It really is one of the most hearthwarming aspects of this NO FILTER thingie to me. I'm sure the Stones don't (yet...? smoking smiley ) pose any real commercial threat to any of the Spice Kelley Cents Master Blasters around in the hitparades of today; but the Stones are sure as hell getting massively (re-)discovered,these days. At least: definitely over here in Europe.

Date: October 24, 2017 10:00

RoughJusticeOnYa
bv
Bjorn
Retire.

That is the same as saying to your wife "go get lost" because she is getting older and she does look as great as the hot chicks on TV. So while the kids might enjoy their rap music or synth pop or whatever new there is we do still have the one and only STONES.

Exactly!
But to add to that, concerning these 'kids': I've never seen so much twentysomethingers ànd teenagers even, on this tour, than on the 8, 9 previous ones I attended. Being there unacompanied and 100% out of their own free will, I should add. It really is one of the most hearthwarming aspects of this NO FILTER thingie to me. I'm sure the Stones don't (yet...? smoking smiley ) pose any real commercial threat to any of the Spice Kelley Cents Master Blasters around in the hitparades of today; but the Stones are sure as hell getting massively (re-)discovered,these days. At least: definitely over here in Europe.

Those 20 somethings are the kids of the first-timers from the VL-tour smoking smiley

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 24, 2017 10:39

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa
bv
Bjorn
Retire.

Exactly!

Those 20 somethings are the kids of the first-timers from the VL-tour smoking smiley

Most probably - and rightfuly so (that was a killer tour, by all means... smoking smiley)
But again, they don't seem to be 'forced' by their 'overindulgent' parents or anything... -
I'm guessing their festival stints on the "14 on Fire" has something to do with it (also).

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 24, 2017 11:52

Well, who knows.
But the current tour is succesful in every thinkable way and those who attended were
very pleased with what they've gotten so far. And the tour is not over yet!
Let's enjoy it, as long as we can.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 24, 2017 12:07

Guess they will take some holidays after Oct 25.then they will look into the new album around March 2018. Guess they will release it with lots of promo activities and hit the UK road somewhere in July.
After that??? A few scattered gigs the years after but no more tours after the 2018 UK tour.
Jeroen

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 24, 2017 12:33

As Neil Peart, drummer in Rush, said about future activities: "Making plans? I don´t even buy green bananas".

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 24, 2017 15:59

Svartmer
As Neil Peart, drummer in Rush, said about future activities: "Making plans? I don´t even buy green bananas".

If he said that he pinched it from a quote by British actress Maggie Smith in 'The Best Marigold Hotel' film.
I'm sure fan sites for Artists such as Macca, Roger Waters, Rod Stewart don't obsess about the next few years as much as this Forum?

'Life is what happens to us whilst we are making other plans'

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: October 24, 2017 17:16

As long as there still here doing something is fine with me we sure are lucky..

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 24, 2017 17:20

They should take the new power, spirit and flow directly into the studio.
And do holidays after the recording is finished.

Or get locked in that kitchen...where´s Andrew Loog Oldham when you need him??

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 25, 2017 07:22

Pukkelpop (Belgium)

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: October 25, 2017 10:14

bv
Bjorn
Retire.

Each time you'll see a kid at their show, it will be the sign they can go on, pfff! Bjornulf I think music is not now your priority watching them, you are just in love with them.
When they play bad, you say it's was the best show ever. I think they missed the moment to retire with elegancy. The last time was perhaps O2 in 2012.
There nothing new in their discography, just the circus making dollars with the same war horses. The blues lp doesn't count, they could record that every week. Anyway, I will be at the show tonight, the last one in France of their life.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 25, 2017 10:24

I think at this stage its not so much about a different future...

It's more is about how long the present can last.

Date: October 25, 2017 12:25

IMO do whatever it takes for Jagger to actually get into delivering a song again. On those huge stadium stages he has to consider so much with each syllable, that it has over taken everything else. Especially with these new songs that we all celebrate; "Oh they did 'Sway'!" But in truth 'Sway' consists of him basically talk-singing some core words for 3 minutes; eyes on the monitor.
It would be interesting to watch the band, esp. Jagger do only small clubs; do some sets w/o any warhorses. Jagger always says that it is the audience that needs the hits; but maybe it is he who relies on them. Look at Keith (and Ron too); he did two whole tours on new albums, new band; packed the places, got better and better. I saw a clip of V Bockris talking, and it's the one time he got something right. He said that it is odd that out of WW3, and all the solo albums and touring, the one person who learned the LEAST was Jagger.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 25, 2017 17:20

The Stones do what they do on No Filter. That set list represents their best known body of work. I caught the first two in France and they were great. As good or better than anything since 50 and counting started. While highly unscientific, I met more people that hadn’t seen the Stones before at these shows as I met hard core fans such as myself. They have the greatest catalogue on the planet and they play their “hits” and if they can still do it at 75 and beyond there is no reason to stop. The Stones were what, 3 times the age of the guys in that opening band “Cage the Elephant” who were absolutely horrid. If people willingly go see that crap they are better off going to see the Stones when Keith is 105......it will still be better and it will still be rock and roll.

hot smileyRe: Rolling Stones -Future
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: October 25, 2017 21:35

I would go and see them often and we are all getting older but nothing makes me happier than watching my favorite band ply their trade period .It makes me crazy with sheer adrenaline like the best drug

Re: hot smileyRe: Rolling Stones -Future
Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 25, 2017 22:01

TheGreek
I would go and see them often and we are all getting older but nothing makes me happier than watching my favorite band ply their trade period .It makes me crazy with sheer adrenaline like the best drug

Stones were and always will be better than good sex !!
Jeroen

Posted by: wopperla ()
Date: October 26, 2017 01:54

Totally disagree. Paris on 10/19 they were on fire! I have seen many shows goig back to 1975. The first three shows I saw - 75, 78 (twice) they were TERRIBLE! Then in 1981 they werw golden. Every time I have seen them from 1981 on they have always benn GOOD. The nights that they have been GREAT are the nights when Keith is on fire. I can usually tell wiuthin the first song based on how intensely/actively he is playing. The first Paris show he was definitely On.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: October 26, 2017 05:03

RoughJusticeOnYa
bv
Bjorn
Retire.

Exactly!

If that be the case, ( I am myself unaware whether it is), the Stones may finally once again have managed to renew their fan base. In that case, the renewed fan base may deserve to have one studio album of theirs as their own. If possible, also experience several songs from their period's studio album live in concert. A perspective for the band to take delight in. If it may be, achieve something like that one more time.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: October 26, 2017 10:06

corriecas
TheGreek

Jeroen

You're not doing it right

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: October 26, 2017 10:16

mailexile67
2018 - UK and Ireland plus new studio album
2019 - Asia and Australia in feb. and USA and Canada in the fall
2020 - Europe and BAL N.2 or a Rock'n roll cover album in the fall
2022 - Greatest Hits with 3/4 new tunes and residency Tour 6+6 LA and NYC
2023 - Residency Tour 6+6 Paris ans London

Thanks for not counting South America, very nice from you! thumbs down

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 26, 2017 10:53

Nate
People still listen to Mozart and the Stones are equally important so their future is assured people will be listening and talking about them in 500 years

Nate

Mozart didn't make second rate symphonies when he got older, and if his concerts had been played with too many errors, he wouldn't have gotten anywhere.
On the other hand, Mozart died poor.
Seems that either you make a lot of money but have little artistic value, or the other way around.
It's sad that the Stones are blemishing the artistic credibility they built up in the first 20 years of their existence.

What the Stones should do, is what they should have done 25 years ago. Stop pretending to be a band, and do their solo-acts. I don't think Keith is able to tour world-wide with the Winos anymore, but I'm sure he could find some local bars ready to have him play some of his solo-stuff once a month. That way, he might stil be remembered as the artist that he still is and used to be and not as an extra in a band past its prime. Same goes for Jagger, let him finally do what he really wants to do, no idea what it is, but go for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-26 10:57 by matxil.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 26, 2017 12:10

matxil
Mozart didn't make second rate symphonies when he got older

Mozart was 35 when he died

matxil
It's sad that the Stones are blemishing the artistic credibility

B&L is "blemishing the artistic credibility"? Or are you talking about live performanes? How many times did you see them on the No Filter tour? I mean in person.

matxil
What the Stones should do, is what they should have done 25 years ago. Stop pretending to be a band, and do their solo-acts. I don't think Keith is able to tour world-wide with the Winos anymore, but I'm sure he could find some local bars ready to have him play some of his solo-stuff once a month. That way, he might stil be remembered as the artist that he still is and used to be and not as an extra in a band past its prime. Same goes for Jagger, let him finally do what he really wants to do, no idea what it is, but go for it.

Yes, millions of people know exactly how to take something extra special and turn it into something absolutely ordinary, thinking that more successful people should listen to their "advices"

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: October 26, 2017 12:13

corriecas
TheGreek

Jeroen

You don't know what is good sex.
Ask to Jagger, he loves good sex but never seen a rolling stones show!

Date: October 26, 2017 12:41

Rockman

I think I'd try to get the band to kick in maybe $20 towards some beer or something; just for the fun of haggling with Jagger.smileys with beer

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 26, 2017 12:49

Happy24
matxil

Yes, but that's besides the point. The point is that an artist should be judged by his work, not his age. So when comparing Mozart to the Stones, one can say that Mozart kept on writing good material until the end and hence, is still respected.

Happy24
matxil

B&L is "blemishing the artistic credibility"? Or are you talking about live performanes? How many times did you see them on the No Filter tour? I mean in person.

I saw them in 2007 and I promised myself that I'd never go again because it was a disgrace. I'd already seen them about 10 times before, since the 90s, and always enjoyed the atmosphere and the party (especially in Spain where the audience is much more alive) but clearly was not overwhelmed with the musical qualities. As a matter of fact, only when I heard some recordings, later, I could see that some of it was rather good. But not in 2007.
(And as far as age is concerned, I've seen the Skatalites and Toots & The Maytals live various times, and they have comparable ages, and they always were fantastic.)
I was doubting to go this time, despite 2007, if only because my current girlfriend never has seen them, but then I saw the price for a place in the back of the field, and said: no way. The clips I have seen from this year confirm that I made the right decision.

And B&L is nice, but not an artistic highpoint. Not by any means. My post was a reaction to someone comparing the Stones to Mozart. You think Mozart at 35 or any age would have gotten away with rewriting some of his old work and present it as "something new"?

Happy24
matxil

Yes, millions of people know exactly how to take something extra special and turn it into something absolutely ordinary, thinking that more successful people should listen to their "advices"

I don't think they should listen to my advices, and I am sure they wont. They should do whatever they want to do. But as far as artistic credibility goes, they will never be mentioned in the same way as Mozart. If it's any consolation, very few pop and rock n roll stars will.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: October 26, 2017 14:58

matxil
Happy24
matxil

Yes, but that's besides the point. The point is that an artist should be judged by his work, not his age. So when comparing Mozart to the Stones, one can say that Mozart kept on writing good material until the end and hence, is still respected.

Is it fair to compare a 35 year old Mozart with 75 year old Stones? How do you KNOW Mozart would not be utter crap at 75? If we should speak about 35 year old Stones, then that was the age when they release Some Girls. Is that "second rate"? Or is the pure fact that Mozart wrote good untill the end what matters? So dying at 35 is an advantage? Sorry, I see no logic in your argument anyway I try to look at it.

And speaking about Mozart, whom I like a lot by the way, he was a pure genius, even his own work differs in quallity. I know, it is highly subjective and it is nothing but my personal opinion, but if I put Requiem or Don Giovanni side by side with say Die Entführung aus dem Serail or even Die Zauberflöte, the difference is huge. I will go as far as calling Die Entführung aus dem Serail a second rate opera. Not expecting everyone to agree of course.

matxil
Happy24
matxil

I saw them in 2007 and I promised myself that I'd never go again because it was a disgrace. I'd already seen them about 10 times before, since the 90s, and always enjoyed the atmosphere and the party (especially in Spain where the audience is much more alive) but clearly was not overwhelmed with the musical qualities. As a matter of fact, only when I heard some recordings, later, I could see that some of it was rather good. But not in 2007.
(And as far as age is concerned, I've seen the Skatalites and Toots & The Maytals live various times, and they have comparable ages, and they always were fantastic.)
I was doubting to go this time, despite 2007, if only because my current girlfriend never has seen them, but then I saw the price for a place in the back of the field, and said: no way. The clips I have seen from this year confirm that I made the right decision.

And B&L is nice, but not an artistic highpoint. Not by any means. My post was a reaction to someone comparing the Stones to Mozart. You think Mozart at 35 or any age would have gotten away with rewriting some of his old work and present it as "something new"?

Okay, so you say they are "blemishing the artistic credibility." You also say that "B&L is nice, but not an artistic highpoint" and as for live performances you admit you haven't seen anything else than YouTube clips in 10 years. So do I understand it correctly that an album, which is "nice, but not an artistic highpoint" is "blemishing the artistic credibility"? About YouTube... I am just tryin to imagine the outrageus "fan" discussions concerning cell phone clips of a 75 year old Mozart...smiling smiley

matxil
Happy24
matxil

I don't think they should listen to my advices, and I am sure they wont. They should do whatever they want to do. But as far as artistic credibility goes, they will never be mentioned in the same way as Mozart. If it's any consolation, very few pop and rock n roll stars will.

Never? Okay, I get it, that is your personal opinion, fair enough, I have no problem with that. But there are about 7 billion different people, not necessarily all sharing your point of view. The majority has never heard of The Rolling Stones and/or Mozart anyway smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-26 15:06 by Happy24.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: October 26, 2017 15:21

Rockman

My backyard is also available...... though rather small.... :-)

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 26, 2017 16:24

Nate
People still listen to Mozart and the Stones are equally important so their future is assured people will be listening and talking about them in 500 years

Nate

Massive statement ...but you are right, I think.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home