Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18
Re: Paris show-2 France 22-Oct-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: leftbank ()
Date: October 25, 2017 03:06

My only show this tour. Seattle is a long flight. Had Lower level, poor view side seat in 117, moved to a vacant open one after first song. No real seat checking by staff except at outside entry doors.
Pleased with a redone set list positions. Liked the 2 blues numbers. It seems that no C Berry numbers are ever done, a treat would be Around and Around, Carol, or Let it Rock. Most older fans know these! Perhaps too fast or difficult for Keith and Ronnie? Gimmie Shelter seemed to lack the more detailed riffs.
Mick a great performer! And finally some fun on stage.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: October 25, 2017 06:11

leftbank:

They did "Around and Around" in Newark 1 (by request, they said) in 50 and Counting, great to hear.

Yeah, I should have changed my spot, jumped the fence, haha, heard of someone who did it, Didn't want to leave my friend.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: rlstone ()
Date: October 25, 2017 09:26

A little bit late, my experience from last Sunday:

We were able to score pit tickets a couple of days before the show thanks to the seller and of course this forum (thanks BV!)

We arrived at the arena at 17:50 only to be directed to gate 14 by several different security staff. Eventually we talked our way into the gate 33 area to find thousands of fans all lines up for gate 32 and 33. Both Fosse, Fosse Or and pit ticket holders were lined up in one big area. At this point it was already 17:50. We had no luck walking up directly to the pit line as it didn't seem to exist. Also here security staff had no clue about the pit tickets. At 18:05 or so the doors opened and we queued up but of course the line was moving very very slow because of the individual security checks performed at the doors. We decided to have a drink in one of the bars surrounding the venue and returned at 19:00 to find the same mess. At this point I was starting to get upset and I pushed myself towards the area far left of gate 33. Much to my surprise the security standing next to the fences there immediately let us in. @ U Arena, a sign over there would be helpful next time! Fans with pit tickets should go straight to the fences on the left side of gate 33 instead of waiting in the general fosse/fosse or lines. You needed to enter the pit through Ronnie's side which was almost empty when we arrived. We proceeded to Keith's side using the walkway underneath the stage. We ended up being 5 rows from the stage and perhaps 3 rows from the walkway which for me was a great spot. It gave us a great overview of what was going on at the stage.

About the concert: first pit experience for me and I absolutely loved it. What a way to experience a concert, and so great to see the band from such a close distance. No pushing around in the pit although I have to say we suffered a bit from the echo, but that is a small price to pay.

After the opening act lots of people decided to use the toilets before the stones came up. As a result of this, it was nearly impossible to get back to the pit (keith's side). There was one small walkway to this side which also needed to be used by fans with fosse or tickets. Lots of pushing around and lots of angry fans. Because of these problems people were forced to pee in cups and bottles in the pit area because they did not want to miss the beginning of the show.

Then the show itself, agree with most comments posted in this thread. I think the show was very entertaining with lots of goofing around on stage. The band was in great spirit. Keith seemed to be a little bit laid back on some of the songs, but it did not bother me at all. Highlights for me were JJF, MR and MrD. I think the Amsterdam show from a technical perspective may a have been a bit better, but Paris 2 for me was even better (also thanks to the great tickets of course).

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 25, 2017 11:01

rlstone

Because of these problems people were forced to pee in cups and bottles in the pit area because they did not want to miss the beginning of the show.

!!!!!

C

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: October 25, 2017 13:09

"We piss anywhere, man" winking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 25, 2017 13:40

Photo credits: Edmond Sadaka

[www.rfi.fr]

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: October 25, 2017 14:36

Trying to get an answer to this: is it an advantage to get there early and if so, by what time and at what gate or gates?

plexi

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 25, 2017 16:15

Wow. I cannot imagine if I woulda been standing in the pit, and a few people around me decided they were going to urinate in their beverage.
Did I mention U Arena had not 1 garbage can and we were told by staff to throw all our trash, including leftover food, right on the new floor?
Mixed well with fresh piss I’m sure.
You have got to have an extra layer of FU to be a RS fan.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 25, 2017 16:42

[Twitter.com] · [www.Instagram.com] · Large picture

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-25 16:45 by Irix.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 25, 2017 20:26

HMN

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 26, 2017 02:02

Best show of tour?

For a variety of reasons I would say yes, but the main reason would be the camaraderie amongst the band members throughout the show.
Looked like they were having so much fun, and that was reflected in the overall vibe and performance of the show itself.
And based on the overwhelming positive reviews from those who were there, seems the obvious choice.

Looking forward to the next round of shows! thumbs up

Date: October 26, 2017 18:22

HMN

Posted by: Janneman ()
Date: October 27, 2017 03:43

Finaly at home after the amazing last 2 shows in Paris.
Here my movie of Jumping Jack Flash, filmed from the pit Keith side.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 27, 2017 03:53

Honestman

Yes. Yes.
My left hand is there somewhere, I wore my best watch to France- a Rolex, bought when I used to have some money. Coulda come in handy as bail, just in case.
I’m not thinking clearly LOL

Date: October 27, 2017 03:56

Janneman

[www.youtube.com]

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

I’m dying, this is right where I was, he commands, I’m following Hand claps,
He is sooo fvckingg good

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-27 04:02 by 35love.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 27, 2017 04:26

Janneman

[www.youtube.com]

Oh my God that is such a great way to open a Stones show - really the only way to open a Stones show.
Like watching and hearing a freight train roaring towards you, and then you somehow jump on for the incredible non-stop two hour+ journey for the remainder of the show.
A few rapid twists and turns, some slow moments on the uphill climb, then meandering through the wilderness to finally reach the destination - exhausted and satisfied.

Date: October 27, 2017 05:02

35love
Janneman

[www.youtube.com]

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

I’m dying, this is right where I was, he commands, I’m following Hand claps,
He is sooo fvckingg good

OMG LOVE THIS CLIP
LOVE THIS BAND

Rolling Stones 22nd October 2017 show - U Arena - Paris
Posted by: The98Dude ()
Date: October 29, 2017 16:13

Howdy Stoners,

I am now 60 years old, discovered the Stones in 1971 with “Sticky Fingers”, been hooked since then, and saw them 16 times.
I will not write about other personal details and will go straight to the point. Suffice is to say that, globally, I thoroughly enjoyed the show and I am still amazed by their energy and professionalism. After having seen them for the first time in 1976 in Paris Abattoirs, I would have never bet that they would still be rolling like this 41 years later.

1st part : Cage the Elephant. I was seated on the yellow area, left of the stage. Their sound was horrible and the volume deafening. Bass and drums were pounding in my chest. Luckily I had ear plugs but my neighbours did not and had to use their fingers ! Hence cannot judge their music. All I can say for their frontman is that a stripper does not make a good singer and that, for stage moves, he has a lot to learn from Jagger. Awful and ridiculous. This part made me worry about the Stones sound to come, but I was relieved at the first chords of Jumping Jack Flash. It just goes to show that the opening acts never benefit from the main act amps and sound check.

The Stones show

Highlights
• Hate to see you go + Ride’em on down : The Stones could play these old blues in their sleep and Mick’s harp is a delight.
• Dancing with Mr D : a very hypnotic, menacing groove that worked well.
• Angie : that was not my vote (I chose Dead Flowers) but I knew Paris would choose this. A welcome ballad after the rockers and a perfect, heartfelt vocal performance from Mick, with clean acoustic arpeggios from Keith.
• You can’t always get what you want : the perfect mid-tempo crowd pleaser. Mick on top of it, effortlessly.
• Miss you : not my favourite song, but well performed with great bass from Darryl and good horns.
• Midnight Rambler : the first peak moment of the show. No problem with Keith on those riffs and great harp by Mick. The perfect mixture of blues and rock.
• Street Fighting Man : the second peak for me. I love that number, be it done on electro-acoustic like on “Stripped” or built on the guitars wall of sound we had on this night. Absolutely awesome.

Misses
• Paint I Black : a miss for me because Keith ruined the intro (he did it better on acoustic in other shows) and despite the fact that Mick and Charlie put it back on track after it.
• Honky Tonk Women : another miss due to Keith sloppy riff who ruined the intro for what should have been a joyful crowd pleaser. The song was merely expedited.
• Happy : a complete disaster. Keith played and sang poorly and out of sync. Ron wood and Chuck Leavell who did a great catch up job must have been suffering to see and hear this. You do not expect him to play it as rapidly as in “Ladies and Gentlemen” back in 1972 (they were on cocaine..) but he should at least keep the tempo for God’s sake ! I know he has arthritic fingers but the problem is more serious. Is this a consequence of his trepanation ? Very sad as “Happy” is his signature number.
• Sympathy for the devil : I suffered again through that one as Keith is unable to play the very simple, genius licks of that song. He poses in front of the audience, and then plays licks out of sync, out of tune and with too much bending. Very sad again, and this erratic playing is now a repeat with him.
• Brown Sugar : my favourite Stones song, horribly savaged by Keith again who completely destroyed the fabulous riffs of the intro. From where I was, I could see the reprobation on Mick’s face.

Good ones
• Jumping Jack Flash : the surprise opener. Everybody was ready to “Ooo” “Ooo” Sympathy for the devil but the Stones decided to switch those songs.
• It’s only RnR + Tumbling dice : good warm up, mid-tempo rockers. Keith was OK on these ones.
• Slipping away : after his “Happy” disaster, Keith performed OK on this slow number. He now seems to be more at ease on ballads than on rockers, which was also obvious on their last recordings as he now sings more ballads than rocks. Age has sure taken his toll on him.
• Start me up : they can’t miss that one. Simple riffs, square tempo. Their last hit rocker (1981).
• Gimme Shelter : good overall, despite another sloppy intro by Keith unfortunately. Sasha was a bit too much in the “Merry Clayton” part in my opinion
• Satisfaction : a good – and famous - easy closer. Nothing to complain about.

CONCLUSION

Jagger is simply AWESOME at 74. He is OUT OF THIS WORLD. He sings better than ever, never out of breath, never out of tune (and more naturally, less through the nose than on some records).
I was - again - disappointed by Keith who can really destroy the best jewels of the Stones catalogue. At moments, he can really become a liability for the band. Lucky for him to have good old Ron backing him up with the right chords and slide.
Come on ! Do you expect the “Human Riff”, the “Riff Meister”, the “Obergruppenführer” not to play correctly the chords or the licks of “Brown Sugar”, “Happy” or “Sympathy for the Devil” ?
Charlie was his usual self, keeping the beat like clockwork.
Keith has a lot of support from the crowd because of his past as co-composer with Jagger, “most elegantly wasted human being”, “junkie”, “outlaw” etc. etc. His drug addiction almost destroyed the Stones in the seventies, and now I fear that, if the Stones stop touring, it will be because he cannot play correctly any longer.
I would like to be backstage and hear what Mick and Chuck (the “musical director”) have to say about this. They obviously have to put up with his sloppiness as you cannot imagine the Stones without Keith, but it must be tough on their ears sometimes. One thing for certain, he should stick to the rythms/riffs and forget about solos. They are painful to hear now. Leave them to Ronnie’s slide please.

Don’t get me wrong : I enjoyed the show, I love them all dearly as they have been the soundtrack of my life. But, even as a fan, I can also be objective.

Come on Keith ! Get a grip ! Less posing and more riffing ! (Like on Street Fighting Man that gave me goose bumps).

Bye. I hope again this is not going to be “The Last time”. Everytime I see them, I am afraid that it may be “The last time”.

Yves

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 29, 2017 21:20

Dear Yves, I thoroughly enjoyed your review, which I also find very well written. Thanks for sharing!
In the fosse area the sound was very good also during the Cage The Elephant set, which I think was great.

Posted by: damnation ()
Date: October 29, 2017 22:49

deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-29 22:50 by damnation.

Date: October 29, 2017 22:50

Honestman
Hey Honestman! Any idea during which song this was? Tumbling Dice? Trying to find this shot in a youtube video......

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 30, 2017 12:20

damnation

Any idea during which song this was? Tumbling Dice? Trying to find this shot in a youtube video......

Tim Ries is on Keyboards (beside Chuck Leavell) - looks like: 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'. List of Videos: [iorr.org] .

Re: Rolling Stones 22nd October 2017 show - U Arena - Paris
Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 30, 2017 13:02

The98Dude
Howdy Stoners,

I am now 60 years old, discovered the Stones in 1971 with “Sticky Fingers”, been hooked since then, and saw them 16 times.
I will not write about other personal details and will go straight to the point. Suffice is to say that, globally, I thoroughly enjoyed the show and I am still amazed by their energy and professionalism. After having seen them for the first time in 1976 in Paris Abattoirs, I would have never bet that they would still be rolling like this 41 years later.

1st part : Cage the Elephant. I was seated on the yellow area, left of the stage. Their sound was horrible and the volume deafening. Bass and drums were pounding in my chest. Luckily I had ear plugs but my neighbours did not and had to use their fingers ! Hence cannot judge their music. All I can say for their frontman is that a stripper does not make a good singer and that, for stage moves, he has a lot to learn from Jagger. Awful and ridiculous. This part made me worry about the Stones sound to come, but I was relieved at the first chords of Jumping Jack Flash. It just goes to show that the opening acts never benefit from the main act amps and sound check.

The Stones show

Highlights
• Hate to see you go + Ride’em on down : The Stones could play these old blues in their sleep and Mick’s harp is a delight.
• Dancing with Mr D : a very hypnotic, menacing groove that worked well.
• Angie : that was not my vote (I chose Dead Flowers) but I knew Paris would choose this. A welcome ballad after the rockers and a perfect, heartfelt vocal performance from Mick, with clean acoustic arpeggios from Keith.
• You can’t always get what you want : the perfect mid-tempo crowd pleaser. Mick on top of it, effortlessly.
• Miss you : not my favourite song, but well performed with great bass from Darryl and good horns.
• Midnight Rambler : the first peak moment of the show. No problem with Keith on those riffs and great harp by Mick. The perfect mixture of blues and rock.
• Street Fighting Man : the second peak for me. I love that number, be it done on electro-acoustic like on “Stripped” or built on the guitars wall of sound we had on this night. Absolutely awesome.

Misses
• Paint I Black : a miss for me because Keith ruined the intro (he did it better on acoustic in other shows) and despite the fact that Mick and Charlie put it back on track after it.
• Honky Tonk Women : another miss due to Keith sloppy riff who ruined the intro for what should have been a joyful crowd pleaser. The song was merely expedited.
• Happy : a complete disaster. Keith played and sang poorly and out of sync. Ron wood and Chuck Leavell who did a great catch up job must have been suffering to see and hear this. You do not expect him to play it as rapidly as in “Ladies and Gentlemen” back in 1972 (they were on cocaine..) but he should at least keep the tempo for God’s sake ! I know he has arthritic fingers but the problem is more serious. Is this a consequence of his trepanation ? Very sad as “Happy” is his signature number.
• Sympathy for the devil : I suffered again through that one as Keith is unable to play the very simple, genius licks of that song. He poses in front of the audience, and then plays licks out of sync, out of tune and with too much bending. Very sad again, and this erratic playing is now a repeat with him.
• Brown Sugar : my favourite Stones song, horribly savaged by Keith again who completely destroyed the fabulous riffs of the intro. From where I was, I could see the reprobation on Mick’s face.

Good ones
• Jumping Jack Flash : the surprise opener. Everybody was ready to “Ooo” “Ooo” Sympathy for the devil but the Stones decided to switch those songs.
• It’s only RnR + Tumbling dice : good warm up, mid-tempo rockers. Keith was OK on these ones.
• Slipping away : after his “Happy” disaster, Keith performed OK on this slow number. He now seems to be more at ease on ballads than on rockers, which was also obvious on their last recordings as he now sings more ballads than rocks. Age has sure taken his toll on him.
• Start me up : they can’t miss that one. Simple riffs, square tempo. Their last hit rocker (1981).
• Gimme Shelter : good overall, despite another sloppy intro by Keith unfortunately. Sasha was a bit too much in the “Merry Clayton” part in my opinion
• Satisfaction : a good – and famous - easy closer. Nothing to complain about.

CONCLUSION

Jagger is simply AWESOME at 74. He is OUT OF THIS WORLD. He sings better than ever, never out of breath, never out of tune (and more naturally, less through the nose than on some records).
I was - again - disappointed by Keith who can really destroy the best jewels of the Stones catalogue. At moments, he can really become a liability for the band. Lucky for him to have good old Ron backing him up with the right chords and slide.
Come on ! Do you expect the “Human Riff”, the “Riff Meister”, the “Obergruppenführer” not to play correctly the chords or the licks of “Brown Sugar”, “Happy” or “Sympathy for the Devil” ?
Charlie was his usual self, keeping the beat like clockwork.
Keith has a lot of support from the crowd because of his past as co-composer with Jagger, “most elegantly wasted human being”, “junkie”, “outlaw” etc. etc. His drug addiction almost destroyed the Stones in the seventies, and now I fear that, if the Stones stop touring, it will be because he cannot play correctly any longer.
I would like to be backstage and hear what Mick and Chuck (the “musical director”) have to say about this. They obviously have to put up with his sloppiness as you cannot imagine the Stones without Keith, but it must be tough on their ears sometimes. One thing for certain, he should stick to the rythms/riffs and forget about solos. They are painful to hear now. Leave them to Ronnie’s slide please.

Don’t get me wrong : I enjoyed the show, I love them all dearly as they have been the soundtrack of my life. But, even as a fan, I can also be objective.

Come on Keith ! Get a grip ! Less posing and more riffing ! (Like on Street Fighting Man that gave me goose bumps).

Bye. I hope again this is not going to be “The Last time”. Everytime I see them, I am afraid that it may be “The last time”.

Yves

Very nice and fair review, thank you.

I was also in the yellow seating area (Keith side) and I completely agree with your assessment of Cage the Elephant. Awful.

Date: October 30, 2017 14:29

Irix
damnation

Any idea during which song this was? Tumbling Dice? Trying to find this shot in a youtube video......

Tim Ries is on Keyboards (beside Chuck Leavell) - looks like: 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'. List of Videos: [iorr.org] .

U were right! thanks Irix smiling smiley

Date: October 30, 2017 16:17

@damnation
It's a shot I took, and yes it's during YCAGWYW.winking smiley

HMN

Date: October 30, 2017 19:06

thanks a lot HMN! Finally I have a picture with Mick and Ronnie and myself in it grinning smiley

Date: November 1, 2017 23:11

Rolling Stones Backline Soundcheck, 22 October 2017

"I was invited to photograph The Rolling Stones backline crew's soundcheck prior to the band arriving. This is rarely photographed or recorded in any way. This is an insight into what happens as the crew prepares for the band to take the stage. Paris Deux. 22 October 2017. Sorry for the shaky video, I was using two cameras simultaneously."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-04 14:42 by Cristiano Radtke.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718
Current Page: 18 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1735
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home