Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The end of bootlegs?
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: October 20, 2017 18:12

I guess we'll all have to go to the back end of the record store again to find these. Oh, wait...there aren't record stores to explore anymore. I still have a copy of Great White Wonder on vinyl along with some other early Dylan boots. I may also have a vinyl copy of the Stones Live'r Than You'll Ever Be, if I am remembering the title right, and boots of a number of other artists from the late 1960s through 1970s. Thinking back, lordy, many of those albums were terrible sounding, but, like discovered treasure at the same time.

[theconversation.com]

Re: OT: The end of bootlegs?
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 20, 2017 18:24

God, don't say that. I'm hoping my Knebworth is still in production...

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: October 20, 2017 18:32

Tosh.

Better quality (for the main) means less boots but better experience for the few that do get released. Traders looking to hold on to their bounty (still!) for oodles of cash is the problem. Sure, the market means that that press of 1,000 copies is unlikely but that press of 500 will still sell through and people will pay more money on eBay for the pieces that they missed out on.

Torrents feed silvers, silvers feed torrents .. The bootleg is still among us .. It's just a shady as ever ..

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 23, 2017 16:19

I have the feeling there have never been so many Stones bootlegs released as during the last years. And mainly good stuff. I still remember the trash CD era until VGP appeared. Where shit like an incomplete Atlanta 89a in poor quality was issued or Vienna 73 partly together with Brussels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-24 08:07 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: October 23, 2017 18:56

dmay
Thinking back, lordy, many of those albums were terrible sounding, but, like discovered treasure at the same time.

Sure, but NASTY MUSIC and GARDEN STATE 1978 by far surpassed the official releases! NASTY MUSIC was the best Stones live recording you could ever get (except for the four tzracks from New York 1972). It blew your socks off!

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 23, 2017 19:15

No no. The market maybe smaller now, but now and then I want to hold something in my hand. And it can be nice to look at! Great cover art etc.

Posted by: boogaloojef ()
Date: October 23, 2017 19:35

Now you can get at least an audience recording of almost every recent show.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 25, 2017 19:42

The Bootleg market is still alive and well as there are a number of quality boot labels and vendors, mainly from Japan, who are issuing excellent quality silver bootleg titles for those of us who still enjoy physical product.

I have collected bootlegs since the 70's white cover vinyl days and rather than killing the silver disc bootleg collectors market the torrents have actually fed this market with high quality recordings that boot labels are pressing onto silver discs.

While you can still get poor sounding titles on silver disc the quality of the recordings has increased substantially due to the sharing of ROIO recordings on the torrents.

Bootleg labels have the luxury of cherry picking what recordings they want to press onto silver discs now so the chances of getting stuck with a poor recording these days is much less then pre-internet days.

There are also numerous resources on the internet where you can find bootleg reviews like this website

[www.collectorsmusicreviews.com]

and also website resources that let you hear clips of the bootlegs before spend your hard earned money like gigijapan

[www.giginjapan.com]

JMO but there has never been a better time to collect silver disc bootlegs then now with the quality of the recordings and resources we have at our finger tips.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 25, 2017 19:46

oldschool
The Bootleg market is still alive and well

Crystal Cat is about to release the two shows Dylan played in Stockholm this year. The packaging will be lavish.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: October 25, 2017 20:46

dcba
oldschool
The Bootleg market is still alive and well

Crystal Cat is about to release the two shows Dylan played in Stockholm this year. The packaging will be lavish.

Crystal Cat has always been a quality label IMHO and all the titles I ever bought of theirs had excellent sound quality.

But your post brought up a thought in that the availability of inexpensive, relatively speaking of course, digital hand held recorders like the ZOOM or Tascam products makes it affordable for concert attendees to record concerts and share them on the torrents. It not unusual these days to have more than a half a dozen different complete recordings sources of a concert a person attended available for downloading in most cases in excellent sound quality.

Concert recordings have come a long way from the days when "Dub" Taylor from Trademark of Quality had to lug and sneak into the concert his Sennheiser shotgun microphone and a Uher "Report 4000" reel-to-reel tape recorder that he used to record the legendary "Live'r Than You'll Ever Be" vinyl bootleg.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home