Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Noel Gallagher interview
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 19, 2017 22:35

Always interesting. Music and politics.

video: [youtu.be]

I believe in ROCK N ROLL.

Thank you Mr. Gallagher.

Re: OT: Noel Gallagher interview
Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 19, 2017 23:51

Noel Gallagher is a giant of rock and roll. He never sold well here in the US, but Oasis was as good as the 90s ever got for new and fresh rock and roll.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Date: October 21, 2017 02:12

Great reactions... Interesting.

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-21 02:15 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 22, 2017 00:29

noel gallagher disappeared up his own backside about 20 years ago.

ive never known a band to talk themselves up so much the way oasis did, and they were in the big scheme of things an average band at best.

arrogant sods they were.

they could have learned a thing or 2 about humility by listening to charlie watts being interviewed.

Date: October 22, 2017 03:21

Humility...

Well Well.

LONG LIVE CHARLIE WATTS for playing the drums as a part of THE ROLLING STONES.

Edit:

By the way... did you actually watch the interview and the people starting to sing?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-22 03:32 by RipThisBone.

Date: October 22, 2017 14:05

stonesstein
Noel Gallagher is a giant of rock and roll. He never sold well here in the US, but Oasis was as good as the 90s ever got for new and fresh rock and roll.

Er, he played - and still plays - pop music.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 22, 2017 17:12

stonesstein

He sure aint no giant. He THINKS he is.
he is a boring arrogant little boy. and he sure dont play rock n roll.
jeroen

Date: October 23, 2017 01:22

Only reactions until now are directed at Noel Gallagher as a person, not to what he says.

Well, well...

Interesting.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: October 23, 2017 01:39

corriecas
stonesstein

jeroen
An opinion. Certainly not mine and millions of others though. Oasis defined an era in the UK and I for one would go back to those times in a heartbeat. Liam and Noel bring colour to the music world and even estranged they are making some really good music.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: October 23, 2017 02:02

Listen to Oasis' cover of Street Fighting Man. It's fantastic.

Also, that band was incredible live. I saw them 2x in 1996 (the last 2 US shows before their massive Maine Road shows) and once again in 2002, and they absolutely rocked the doors off the joints.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 23, 2017 03:47

Talking shit is part of rock n roll
Noel is a giant standing on shoulders of giants...his songs are fantastic and he knows where the inspirations came from. Hope to see him again soon.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 23, 2017 11:47

Although Oasis gained global success, I do think it can be difficult for a non-Brit to really grasp just how big they were in the U.K. circa 1994-97. Even after their star faded a little post-Brit Pop, they were still hugely popular. Their influence and cultural significance cannot be denied. Noel
Gallagher is the greatest British songwriter since Paul Weller and the Morrissey and Marr partnership.

Date: October 23, 2017 11:51

buttons67

ive never known a band to talk themselves up so much the way oasis did, and they were in the big scheme of things an average band at best.

arrogant sods they were.

they could have learned a thing or 2 about humility by listening to charlie watts being interviewed.

Well I'd personally put Definitely Maybe up there with any of the best British albums ever made.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 23, 2017 13:19

Big Al
Although Oasis gained global success, I do think it can be difficult for a non-Brit to really grasp just how big they were in the U.K. circa 1994-97. Even after their star faded a little post-Brit Pop, they were still hugely popular. Their influence and cultural significance cannot be denied.

Wasn't that part of the problem? Musically they were pretty bland (a band ripping off the Beatles at every occasion). Like you said their influence was mainly cultural = they gave Britain a sense of "feelgood" as they brought it back to the beloved 1960's.

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: October 23, 2017 13:25

scoreboardpaddock
buttons67

arrogant sods they were.

Well I'd personally put Definitely Maybe up there with any of the best British albums ever made.
FOR SURE! I enjoy their interviews, always a funny line or two.

Date: October 23, 2017 14:22

dcba
Big Al
Although Oasis gained global success, I do think it can be difficult for a non-Brit to really grasp just how big they were in the U.K. circa 1994-97. Even after their star faded a little post-Brit Pop, they were still hugely popular. Their influence and cultural significance cannot be denied.

Wasn't that part of the problem? Musically they were pretty bland (a band ripping off the Beatles at every occasion). Like you said their influence was mainly cultural = they gave Britain a sense of "feelgood" as they brought it back to the beloved 1960's.

I'm not a musician but I've never really seen the whole Beatles rip off thing, especially with their most successful songs.

Always thought they're more Slade / Sex Pistols / Stones myself.

Date: October 23, 2017 14:22

stonerolling
scoreboardpaddock
buttons67

arrogant sods they were.

FOR SURE! I enjoy their interviews, always a funny line or two.

Absolutely. Both Liam and Noel provide some of the funniest interviews going, in their own completely different styles.

Date: October 23, 2017 14:28

scoreboardpaddock
dcba
Big Al

I'm not a musician but I've never really seen the whole Beatles rip off thing, especially with their most successful songs.

Musically, they were definitely more inspired by the Beatles. Culture-wise, I'd say they took after the mods. I wouldn't call it «rip-off», though.

A good band, but they weren't really a rock band. Brit-pop is a suitable label, methinks. Not all of their music stood the test of time, imo.

I liked their attitude, and brit-pop was huge in Norway as well.

But musically, Oasis is nowhere near being among the best british acts of all time, like mentioned above.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 23, 2017 14:31

Like Liam said, and he’s right: Oasis were not Britpop.

Bands like Blur & Pulp were. Really poppy bands.
Oasis were very much a rock band. Riffs, many layers of guitars, attitude vocals.

Date: October 23, 2017 14:39

Show me the rock, show me the roll, show me the layers...

Nice Beatles-esque pop music, though.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 23, 2017 14:39

DandelionPowderman
scoreboardpaddock
dcba
Big Al

Musically, they were definitely more inspired by the Beatles. Culture-wise, I'd say they took after the mods. I wouldn't call it «rip-off», though.

A good band, but they weren't really a rock band. Brit-pop is a suitable label, methinks. Not all of their music stood the test of time, imo.

I liked their attitude, and brit-pop was huge in Norway as well.

But musically, Oasis is nowhere near being among the best british acts of all time, like mentioned above.

I disagree to be honest. I think they personified British rock n roll down to a tee.

Date: October 23, 2017 14:44

That’s a power ballad. And yes a rock ballad.

Check out Supersonic, Rock and Roll Star, Cigarettes and Alcohol, entire Definitely Maybe.

Some Might Say, Champagne Supernova, D’you know what I mean,...

You want some guitar layers: Be Here Now. That has more guitar layers than the entire career of certain bands.

Date: October 23, 2017 14:57

BowieStone

Check out Supersonic, Rock and Roll Star, Cigarettes and Alcohol, entire Definitely Maybe.

You want some guitar layers: Be Here Now. That has more guitar layers than the entire career of certain bands.

I know all of those tunes. But the singles illustrated who they were and what they were influenced of. The songs were they kicked their distortion pedals, not so much, imo.

BTW, Don't Look Back In Anger is neither a ballad, a rock ballad or a power ballad. It's faster, and it's a typical Oasis brit pop-track.

PS: It won't automatically become rock'n'roll just because you push a distortion pedal and play full barre chord.

PS II: I never said Oasis were bad. Only that they won't be remembered as a rock'n'roll band. I like some of their stuff. But it was only their attitude that was rock'n'roll - I liked their attitude smoking smiley

Date: October 23, 2017 15:25

No, that’s true, it has nothing to do with pedals.

All those tracks I mentioned were singles. I think their first album defines them. If you think that’s a pop record: fine. It’s not really about labels. But in that case Bowies glam-phase, T rex, Slade,... are also pop.

Date: October 23, 2017 15:37

DandelionPowderman
BowieStone

I know all of those tunes. But the singles illustrated who they were and what they were influenced of. The songs were they kicked their distortion pedals, not so much, imo.

BTW, Don't Look Back In Anger is neither a ballad, a rock ballad or a power ballad. It's faster, and it's a typical Oasis brit pop-track.

PS: It won't automatically become rock'n'roll just because you push a distortion pedal and play full barre chord.

PS II: I never said Oasis were bad. Only that they won't be remembered as a rock'n'roll band. I like some of their stuff. But it was only their attitude that was rock'n'roll - I liked their attitude smoking smiley

I think you'll be in the minority there to be honest.

Most people, at least in the UK, record them as a rock n roll band.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 23, 2017 16:27

BowieStone
Like Liam said, and he’s right: Oasis were not Britpop.

Bands like Blur & Pulp were. Really poppy bands.
Oasis were very much a rock band. Riffs, many layers of guitars, attitude vocals.

I kind of like Oasis, at least their first 2 albums. I kind of like Noel too in his interviews and I think Liam had a nice voice for a while (but not varied enough to keep me interested for more than 2 albums) but hardly ever managed to seem more than a complete idiot.
However, be that as it may be, they definitely are not rock n roll as far as I am concerned. Bashing 6-string chords with distortion is no rock n roll, and I never noticed anything like a real riff in their songs. They were a pop-band: clever chord structures and harmonies with sing-a-long melodies on top, almost the definition of pop music.

Date: October 23, 2017 16:32

scoreboardpaddock
DandelionPowderman
BowieStone

Most people? I have never heard people in the UK describe them as a rock'n'ROLL-act. Rock, maybe – and a solid dose of pop.

I'm attaching a pretty standard description of rock'n'roll, as a musical genre, for you, and then I'm out of this discussion:

«Rock and Roll (often written as rock & roll or rock 'n' roll) is a genre of popular music that originated and evolved in the United States during the late 1940s and early 1950s, from African American musical styles such as gospel, jump blues, jazz, boogie woogie, and rhythm and blues, along with country music. While elements of rock and roll can be heard in blues records from the 1920s and in country records of the 1930s, the genre did not acquire its name until 1954.

According to Greg Kot, "rock and roll" refers to a style of popular music originating in the U.S. in the 1950s prior to its development by the mid-1960s into "the more encompassing international style known as rock music, though the latter also continued to be known as rock and roll." For the purpose of differentiation, this article deals with the first definition.

In the earliest rock and roll styles of the late 1940s and early 1950s, either the piano or saxophone was often the lead instrument, but these were generally replaced or supplemented by guitar in the middle to late 1950s. The beat is essentially a blues rhythm with an accentuated backbeat, the latter almost always provided by a snare drum. Classic rock and roll is usually played with one or two electric guitars (one lead, one rhythm), a double bass or string bass or (after the mid-1950s) an electric bass guitar, and a drum kit».

Date: October 23, 2017 16:57

I wouldn’t call them rock and roll indeed. But who plays rock and roll these days? I think The Black Crowes are the last major rock and roll band. Blackberry Smoke does a fine job these days.

But a rock band? Yes, to me they are. Not really a compliment as I dislike most ‘rock’, but they are an exception.

Date: October 23, 2017 17:06

DandelionPowderman
scoreboardpaddock
DandelionPowderman
BowieStone

Most people? I have never heard people in the UK describe them as a rock'n'ROLL-act. Rock, maybe – and a solid dose of pop.

I'm attaching a pretty standard description of rock'n'roll, as a musical genre, for you, and then I'm out of this discussion:

«Rock and Roll (often written as rock & roll or rock 'n' roll) is a genre of popular music that originated and evolved in the United States during the late 1940s and early 1950s, from African American musical styles such as gospel, jump blues, jazz, boogie woogie, and rhythm and blues, along with country music. While elements of rock and roll can be heard in blues records from the 1920s and in country records of the 1930s, the genre did not acquire its name until 1954.

According to Greg Kot, "rock and roll" refers to a style of popular music originating in the U.S. in the 1950s prior to its development by the mid-1960s into "the more encompassing international style known as rock music, though the latter also continued to be known as rock and roll." For the purpose of differentiation, this article deals with the first definition.

In the earliest rock and roll styles of the late 1940s and early 1950s, either the piano or saxophone was often the lead instrument, but these were generally replaced or supplemented by guitar in the middle to late 1950s. The beat is essentially a blues rhythm with an accentuated backbeat, the latter almost always provided by a snare drum. Classic rock and roll is usually played with one or two electric guitars (one lead, one rhythm), a double bass or string bass or (after the mid-1950s) an electric bass guitar, and a drum kit».

That's getting far too pedantic. How old are you out of interest? I don't think you'll get many people under probably 45 regard it as anything else.

If you stuck to the traditional definition of rock n roll then it well and truly died about 40 years ago.

Liam certainly doesn't regard his music as anything else:

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 23, 2017 19:09

Liam probably thinks "rock n roll" means getting drunk, taking loads of drugs, and calling everybody a f------ this or that.

[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2198
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home