Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What is your favorite Stones-year and why?
Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 19, 2017 22:00

Posted by: Virgin Priest ()
Date: October 19, 2017 22:11

I became a fan!

Young Stones and Pathé Marconi Stones!

Tattoo You!

Waiting On A Friend Video

Keith!!!

Priest

Date: October 19, 2017 22:11

Easily 1978, hands down. Following a killer album where they tackled disco ('Miss You'), country ('Far Away Eyes'), punk ('When The Whip Comes Down'), and obviously rock, they embarked on an electrifying tour. I love the recordings from this tour. The sloppy guitars, the sharp drums, Jagger going out of his mind jumping around the stage... I love it all.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 19, 2017 23:49

1972: kick-ass US tour & Exile.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 20, 2017 02:11

1978. It wasn't necessarily their best year, but it was my best Stones year. I saw them for the first time, and my fanaticism for the band was at its peak.

Date: October 20, 2017 03:14

1978 by a mile. It was the only time I myself experienced the Stones when they were a vital force. 68-73 was before my time.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: October 20, 2017 03:49

Really fond of 1995 and 2003.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 20, 2017 05:44

1968 The "New New" Stones! That set everything after that.

1981 For me, the last year that there was a really big personal and cultural "Stones buzz" in the air.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: October 20, 2017 06:55

2018 because of the high expextations of the UK tour!

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 20, 2017 19:44

let it bleed
Hyde park
Brian - mick t.
Tour 69
Trident sessions - brown sugar, wild horses uvm.
Performance
Altamont

Did I forget anything?

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: October 20, 2017 22:00

two concerts in my hometown, Bern, Switzerland; first time live at age 19.

how could it have been any better before (followed all their recording output since 1964, and tried to read as much as possible, eg in french Rock et Folk) and after (almost all concerts in Switzerland, all vinyls and discs, many books and papers, and then the internet...) ?

The first (Live) cut is the deepest ...

resotele

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 20, 2017 22:20

deardoctor

let it bleed
Hyde park
Brian - mick t.
Tour 69
Performance
Altamont

Did I forget anything?

NED KELLY!!....oh no, perhaps not.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 20, 2017 22:59

2017!

The boys are still rockin' the house down!

New studio LP in 2018 hopefully.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 21, 2017 00:34

65 get off me cloud and Chrissie shrimpton

Date: October 21, 2017 02:23

Mick Jagger's vocals were at there absolute best, Mick Taylor was uncapped and he performed better than he ever had before, and Goats Head Soup was put out that year.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 21, 2017 03:18

'66 and '69, for the reasons so well stated in the above posts.

'77-'78 was sort of a long 'year,' from Keith getting busted, to Some Girls coming out, to the 1978 tour and then back into the studio. The band could have ended during this stretch for any number of reasons but Keith didn't go to jail, got on the road to kicking heroin, I think left Anita, Ronnie was integrated into the band, the band recorded a great album and went on tour and turned on a whole bunch of new fans and proved they could rock Generation X.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 21, 2017 03:36

tie ... 1969 / 1972

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 21, 2017 12:43

wonderboy
'66 and '69, for the reasons so well stated in the above posts.

'77-'78 was sort of a long 'year,' from Keith getting busted, to Some Girls coming out, to the 1978 tour and then back into the studio. The band could have ended during this stretch for any number of reasons but Keith didn't go to jail, got on the road to kicking heroin, I think left Anita, Ronnie was integrated into the band, the band recorded a great album and went on tour and turned on a whole bunch of new fans and proved they could rock Generation X.

Both happened two-three years later but yes, the process started in 1978. Keith slowly changed into 80s Keith when he hit the mainstream.

Posted by: vinckske ()
Date: October 21, 2017 13:29

1977 Became a fan
1982 First live show , Rotterdam
2003 11 liveshows , including 3 club shows (Paris , Stockholm & Utrecht)
2007 Got a Beggars Banquet sleeve signed by Mick Jagger at the Vilvoorde rehearsals.
2014 First live show for, at that moment, 11 year old son , front of stage (what we now call "pit" smiling smiley )

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 21, 2017 13:59

Hard to select... or not?

My answer is 2017. Because in 2017 my son, 8 years old, attended a Stones gig (Barcelona). I'm sure he will never forget the experience.

Posted by: keith56 ()
Date: October 21, 2017 14:49

deardoctor

let it bleed
Hyde park
Brian - mick t.
Tour 69
Performance
Altamont

Did I forget anything?

No, just four shows i dream to have in sounboard, Saville theatre/ London december 14 th 1969 ( 2 shows ) and Lyceum / London December 21 th 1969 ( 2 shows) smiling smiley

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 21, 2017 14:50

geordiestone
I feel you, id throw 1975 in there. Overall i prefer the Darryl Jones era, thats the stones i grew up to,
1995 was excellent, totally stripped box set proves that, its also the year i was born.

2003 was my first Stones gig, all 3 shows from 2003 Four Flicks movie are honestly among of the greatest gigs ive seen from them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-21 14:51 by rebelhipi.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: October 21, 2017 14:52

rebelhipi
geordiestone
I feel you, id throw 1975 in there. Overall i prefer the Darryl Jones era, thats the stones i grew up to,
1995 was excellent, totally stripped box set proves that, its also the year i was born.

2003 was my first Stones gig, all 3 shows from the Four Flicks movie are honestly among of the greatest gigs ive seen from them.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 4, 2017 19:18

Probably 1965, my first Stones concert, ticket price 10/-, = one weeks pocket money. And hearing for the the first time, new releases The Last Time and Satisfaction; realising there were some great 'B' sides: eg Play with Fire, The Spider and the Fly, The Singer not the Song, all for 6/8d so two weeks pocket money meant three new records

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 4, 2017 19:51

1969. That's when they became the fully realized Rolling Stones. The Brian Jones Era, a great era, was primarily a fantastic pop era. But 1969 was when they became a juggernaut. Beggar's Banquet had moments, and of course Jumping Jack Flash announced their 'return' as much as 'Not Fade Away' announced their arrival. But 1969 was complete. Let It Bleed was complex, dark, funky, and Honky Tonk Women was sleazy. The tour was the first modern arena tour, and unfortunately the Stones brought the 60s to its end with Altamont. And of course every rock band since has copied Keith's gypsy look of 1969.

Posted by: guezeg ()
Date: November 5, 2017 02:10

Recording Sticky Fingers and many songs for Exile and the following albums. Their creative peak...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 5, 2017 02:38

2062, when they celebrate their centennial year as a band with a world wide tour.

By 2028 Google has predicted that lifespan will begin to be extended by nano-technology injected into the blood which will proactively look for and eliminate disease. I think they also expect by 2045 people will no longer die of old age.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: November 5, 2017 03:35

1969 my favorite Stones tour. First US tour since 1966 and tour with with Mick Taylor. As 24FPS stated it was the tour where the band graduated from pop stars to a serious rock band. The band was hungry and not yet jaded and the setlist was amazing and the band was not yet tired of playing the hits so the tempo was perfect. If I could go back in time this is the tour I would want to go to every show.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 5, 2017 12:29

1969 of course!

They proved they could work as a quatuor sans BJ then they they proved they could channel MT's guitar skills into their sound. They released or recorded some of their best songs ever (Shelter or YCAGWYW... among others).

Then they embarked on the tour that gave them the "rock gods" status. Before that live they were more like "teens idols".

That's quite a lot for a single year, innit? smileys with beer

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: November 5, 2017 13:10

1988 - i became a fan, helped myself to a London CD of Between The Buttons, purchased a CBS CD of It's Only Rock'n'Roll, and also adored Talk Is Cheap, a great album that I still love.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home