Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young stuff
Posted by: bam ()
Date: April 24, 2023 00:45

It was a very good show. The top moments for me were Willie’s set, Wooden Ships, Mr. Soul, and Long May You Run.

But a very special moment was Steven Stills getting ready to start Helplessly Hoping, looking over at the empty stage left, and saying “Where’s Neil?” For whatever reason, Neil was taking a break. Joe Walsh came out, and Stills went ahead with the song, missing some harmony on “three together and for each other.”

“Where’s Neil” might sum up their entire 60-year relationship.

McCartney was in attendance, but didn’t come onstage.

A few reviews:
[www.latimes.com]
[variety.com]
[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-24 02:40 by bam.

Posted by: Iguanamom ()
Date: April 24, 2023 05:07

Hairballyc
Would have been a great show to be at!
The weather was warm, an intimate setting in the Hollywood Hills- you could feel history being made in the moment. A favorite part was the video with Graham Nash & David Crosby being supported by Wynton Marsalis playing Guinevere. Communion & celebration all around!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2023 06:14

Iguanamom
Hairballyc
The weather was warm, an intimate setting in the Hollywood Hills- you could feel history being made in the moment. A favorite part was the video with Graham Nash & David Crosby being supported by Wynton Marsalis playing Guinevere. Communion & celebration all around!

Hope this event will help persuade Neil to start thinking about the possibility for his own tour, if he hasn't already started making plans.
And then next week...more live Neil at the Hollywood Bowl with many other great musicians in celebration of Wille Nelson's 90th Birthday!!!
More history in the making in Southern California... thumbs up

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: April 24, 2023 23:19

Hairball
Iguanamom
Hairballyc

Hope this event will help persuade Neil to start thinking about the possibility for his own tour, if he hasn't already started making plans.
And then next week...more live Neil at the Hollywood Bowl with many other great musicians in celebration of Wille Nelson's 90th Birthday!!!
More history in the making in Southern California... thumbs up

I'm a little nervous about it, given that Micah just booked a big chunk of September and October today with Willie expanding his Outlaw Festival.

The timing seems odd to tack on the additional dates given that Micah was rumored for summer with the Horse.

Makes it highly unlikely that Neil will be doing a Horse tour that leads up to Farm Aid (Noblesville).

Billy made a comment in an interview that he thought maybe next year so it's possible that he's decided to wait to do it with Nils once Bruce's tour wraps in mid 2024 (could likely head out in Fall 2024)

[consequence.net]

Date: April 25, 2023 01:40

Might be a good time for another solo acoustic tour. thumbs up

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 25, 2023 07:20

Hairball

It was....

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 25, 2023 07:20

Neil had a lot of fun playing live but his comments about touring did seem troublesome. I hope he does tour but its in the same realm as a Stones tour. Just hoping.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-25 07:22 by daspyknows.

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: April 25, 2023 07:30

daspyknows
Hairball

It was....

if you taped it can i ask if you plan on sharing it?

i understand your reasons for not sharing stones shows anymore but would they apply to this show as well?

love to hear it if you do decide to share

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-25 07:33 by ProfessorWolf.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 26, 2023 01:24

Hairball
Might be a good time for another solo acoustic tour. thumbs up

The last one was magic, but I’m itching for Old Black this time.
I will take what I get and be happy with it however!

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: June 5, 2023 23:24

Neil Young has teased an upcoming tour on his instagram.

"tour dates coming to you soon..."

Date: June 5, 2023 23:58

BeastyBurdeny

Hooray!

Date: June 6, 2023 00:26

BeastyBurdeny

Fingers crossed for a gig in this part of the world!
Fingers crossed it’s with the Horse..

Date: June 6, 2023 04:04

Paddy
BeastyBurdeny

All fingers and toes are currently crossed and currently turning purple.

Date: June 8, 2023 10:27

BeastyBurdeny
Paddy
BeastyBurdeny

All fingers and toes are currently crossed and currently turning purple.

From Thrasherswheat: [neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org]

“ He said his next tour would start in July on the West Coast in a very small venue next to a larger more famous venue and would be announced on the NYA site this week. He said 80 percent of the songs played would be ones he has recorded but not played live. He specifically mentioned Prime Of Life (which of course was played in Arizona in 1994, not sure how many other times.) Also If You Got Love. He said he has been rehearsing 16 or 17 of these types of songs. Tour will be solo acoustic”

So.. What are odds? cool smiley
I’m gonna renew my subscription to NYA to hedge my bets. It’s worth it either way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-08 10:29 by Paddy.

Date: June 8, 2023 23:31

Wow, interesting news for sure. Exciting about the deep cuts. Hopefully he plays Borrowed Tune.

Date: June 9, 2023 06:48

The story is making headlines in many publications...including Rolling Stone, Spin, UltimateClassicRock, and this from Variety:

Neil Young to Play Deep Cuts on First Solo Tour in Four Years

The tour is said to kickstart with a four or five-night residency at a “tiny, little unknown theater that’s close to one of the most well-known theaters in the world” on the West Coast

NEIL

Neil Young is set to go on his first solo tour since pre-pandemic times, hitting intimate theaters across the West Coast with a setlist of songs he’s never played live. Dates and venues for the special showings have not yet been revealed — and are expected to be officially announced June 9 — but the 77-year-old shared other details on a Zoom for paid Patron subscribers to the Neil Young Archives.

“I don’t want to come back and do the same songs again,” Young said, according to a report by Rolling Stone. “I’ll feel like I was on some sort of carnival ride. I’d rather be doing these others songs I haven’t done…I won’t have to compare how I’m doing ‘Heart of Gold’ to [how I played it in] 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010, 2020…”

Young has prepared a setlist of roughly 15 rarities comprised of songs that he says “apply to my life right now,” including the 1982 “Trans” outtake “If You Got Love,” “Prime of Life” from 1994’s “Sleeps With Angels,” and “Song X” from his 1995 Pearl Jam collaboration “Mirror Ball.”

Fans can still expect to hear Young play his most beloved, well-known hits though he estimates that 80% of the performance will be dedicated to his die-hard fans. “They’re not new songs,” he said. “They’re old songs. But I wake up with them in my head every morning. They are songs that apply to my life right now and apply to everyone’s lives in this era that we’re in. Some of them were written 10, 20, 30, 40 years ago, but never really played live.”

The tour is said to kickstart with a four or five-night residency at a “tiny, little unknown theater that’s close to one of the most well-known theaters in the world” on the West Coast, with the official locations to be confirmed tomorrow.

Young’s last public performance before this year was at Farm Aid in September 2019. After the pandemic halted all live performances, the singer-songwriter did not budge over safety concerns regarding the virus and actively fought against misinformation and inaccuracies surrounding vaccinations — even going so far as having his music removed from Spotify in a boycott against Joe Rogan’s podcast.

Elsewhere, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer has announced “Official Release Series Volume 5,” the fifth installment of his remastered albums series, will be dropping July 14 via Warner Music. The box set features albums “Freedom,” “Ragged Glory”, “Weld,” and “ARC,” and will be released as numbered vinyl and CD box sets.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 9, 2023 19:19

It is now the 12 year anniversary of Buffalo Springfield performing at the Bonnaroo Festival, in 2011. Absolutely one of the best concert experiences of my life, and, maybe, the last time this lineup will play live?

Check it out:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: June 9, 2023 19:26

Neil Young tour announced: https://pitchfork.com/news/neil-young-announces-first-tour-since-2019/

Neil Young:

07-01 Los Angeles, CA - John Anson Ford
07-02 Los Angeles, CA - John Anson Ford
07-04 Los Angeles, CA - John Anson Ford
07-05 Los Angeles, CA - John Anson Ford
07-07 Santa Barbara, CA - Santa Barbara Bowl
07-08 Paso Robles, CA - Vina Robles Amphitheatre
07-11 San Diego, CA - The Shell
07-13 Los Angeles, CA - The Greek Theatre
07-15 Berkeley, CA - The Greek
07-17 Bend, OR - Hayden Homes Amphitheater
07-18 Ridgefield, WA - RV Inn Style Resorts Amphitheater
07-20 Auburn, WA - White River Amphitheatre
07-23 Napa, CA - Oxbow RiverStage

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 9, 2023 20:24

I can't even imagine what a painful and frustrating experience trying to enjoy an acoustic set at the Greek would be

Date: June 9, 2023 20:32

Dan
I can't even imagine what a painful and frustrating experience trying to enjoy an acoustic set at the Greek would be

He's saying he's been misquoted and it's not an 'acoustic' tour, but a 'solo' tour... so will likely have electric guitars + acoustic + organ and possibly a full band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-09 20:32 by BeastyBurdeny.

Date: June 9, 2023 20:33

A four night stand at the John Anson Ford Theater...amazing... and then another show at the nearby Santa Barbara Bowl...interesting...all on such a short notice...
Probably can't make any of those unfortunately due to tentative travel plans w/my wife (viva Las Vegas), so might have to wait it out until the inevitable Crazy Horse tour comes around...or Promise of the Real...

That being said, happy to know that Neil is heading back out on the road! thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-09 20:52 by Hairball.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: June 9, 2023 21:03

BeastyBurdeny
Dan

He's saying he's been misquoted and it's not an 'acoustic' tour, but a 'solo' tour... so will likely have electric guitars + acoustic + organ and possibly a full band.

Hmmmm, maybe I will wait til after the first show to make up my mind.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: June 10, 2023 00:29

White River Amphitheatre in WA has notorious traffic gridlock for shows, not to mention Neil 'solo' in a venue that large, might not be the best idea. Probably going to pass.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 10, 2023 00:30

I hope tours with the bands are "inevitable," Hairball. I have to skip this round also.

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: June 10, 2023 00:34

Hopefully this solo run is a warming up and blowing off of cobwebs before a tour with the Horse or POTR.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: June 10, 2023 03:16

Solo acoustic would be a dream!!!

Date: June 10, 2023 03:20

I'm thinking about going to the two Washington shows but am on the fence. Really wish he threw Van/Vic a bone here. Hopefully this is just a warm-up for more things to come.

Date: June 10, 2023 03:46

BeastyBurdeny
I'm thinking about going to the two Washington shows but am on the fence. Really wish he threw Van/Vic a bone here. Hopefully this is just a warm-up for more things to come.

I was concerned there’d be no Van/Vic gig as the last run he did, even though it was 2019, he did those two nights here in Van. I won’t be travelling to catch anything on this run, I’ll wait patiently in hope that we get something this fall or winter.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: June 10, 2023 11:57

mosthigh
White River Amphitheatre in WA has notorious traffic gridlock for shows, not to mention Neil 'solo' in a venue that large, might not be the best idea. Probably going to pass.

I'd go if it were at the Paramount or similar. Hard pass on White River for a solo show. White River is nice enough but the traffic is so horrible I won't go there. You could almost go to Portland with less hassle.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: June 10, 2023 13:18

I wouldn’t hold my breath about a full tour with Crazy Horse or POTR. Isn’t one of the biggest reasons that Neil hasn’t toured is because he wants to make it environmentally sustainable? Could be the reason for this simple, stripped-down tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-10 13:20 by NashvilleBlues.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3839404142434445464748...LastNext
Current Page: 43 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home