Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 49
OT: Neil Young stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 18, 2022 23:03

"Chevrolet" - Neil & The Horse in full gallop.

Re: OT: Neil Young stuff
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 18, 2022 23:28

bam
Nils Lofgren had an interview in Rolling Stone saying that his tour schedule with Springsteen is interfering with Young going on tour with Crazy Horse. Lofgren added that he may be replaced if Young goes on tour.
[www.rollingstone.com]

I really like Nils but he mentioned Micah Nelson as a replacement. That'll work. I just saw Micah (Particle Kid) open for the Flaming Lips 2 days ago. He also came out & did a blistering solo with the Lips. He's fantastic. Lukas Nelson is good too but I prefer Micah's stuff. An awesome talent!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: November 19, 2022 16:55

Can't say I'm too impressed with the new album.

Nothing says Crazy Horse like laid back whistle-y tunes and accordion.confused smiley

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: November 19, 2022 21:17

mosthigh
Can't say I'm too impressed with the new album.

Nothing says Crazy Horse like laid back whistle-y tunes and accordion.confused smiley

I agree, thought it would be more heavier rock an roll. There's a couple of really good rockers there though

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 21, 2022 21:07

I also am unimpressed with the new album. Listened to the whole thing on the way home from dropping off my boys last night. He has a channel on Sirius this week, until Thanksgiving day, to promote the new album.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: November 22, 2022 01:55

Another plodding mid-tempo tune, and I love Neil.
Something is not quite the same with the Horse.

T@3

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 22, 2022 02:53

I liked the Toast album (recorded 2000-01, released 2022). Sounds like this one isn’t getting much love, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-22 02:55 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: December 1, 2022 22:04

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Neil Young admits that he might slow down one day, but for now he’s doubling down on the idea of creating a sustainable tour.

Retirement “doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility,” Young, 77, tells the New Yorker. “That could happen. You get to a point in life where things are happening everywhere around you, and your friends are going away and not coming back. Things change.”

In the meantime, he's released two new albums, Barn and then World Record, during the past 12 months alone. He prefers producing them on vinyl, but has been frustrated by manufacturing delays.

“We finished recording [World Record] toward the end of May. That’s six months ago. That’s a long time for me to wait. I’ve never waited that long to put out a record,” he said. “Because the record companies in their ultimate wisdom, seeing what a great thing digital was, they sold all the places where they made records. Now people want records and they haven’t got a facility to make them in, so it takes months and months and months to get vinyl.”

He hasn't played a public concert since September 2019. Should Young return to the road, he says he still intends to avoid playing venues that offer factory-farmed food to attendees. “This is something that’s very important to me, if I’m ever going to go out again … and I’m not sure I want to,” he said. “I’m still feeling that out, but if I’m ever going to do it, I want to make sure that everything is clean.

“What was the last thing you remember eating at a show, and how good was it?” Young added. “Was it from a farm-made, homegrown village? I don’t think so. It was from a factory farm that’s killing us. I’ve been working on this idea of bringing the food and the drink and the merch into the realm where it’s all clean. I will make sure that the food comes from real farmers.”

In the end, he'd like to create an approach that other acts could adopt as their own. “Once it’s up and going, and I’m finished with my part of the tour, there’s no reason why the tour has to stop,” Young said. “The tour can keep on going with another headliner. It’s about sustainability and renewability in the future, loving Earth for what it is. We want to do the right thing. That’s kind of the idea.”

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: December 1, 2022 23:26

BeastyBurdeny
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Neil Young admits that he might slow down one day, but for now he’s doubling down on the idea of creating a sustainable tour.

Retirement “doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility,” Young, 77, tells the New Yorker. “That could happen. You get to a point in life where things are happening everywhere around you, and your friends are going away and not coming back. Things change.”

In the meantime, he's released two new albums, Barn and then World Record, during the past 12 months alone. He prefers producing them on vinyl, but has been frustrated by manufacturing delays.

“We finished recording [World Record] toward the end of May. That’s six months ago. That’s a long time for me to wait. I’ve never waited that long to put out a record,” he said. “Because the record companies in their ultimate wisdom, seeing what a great thing digital was, they sold all the places where they made records. Now people want records and they haven’t got a facility to make them in, so it takes months and months and months to get vinyl.”

He hasn't played a public concert since September 2019. Should Young return to the road, he says he still intends to avoid playing venues that offer factory-farmed food to attendees. “This is something that’s very important to me, if I’m ever going to go out again … and I’m not sure I want to,” he said. “I’m still feeling that out, but if I’m ever going to do it, I want to make sure that everything is clean.

“What was the last thing you remember eating at a show, and how good was it?” Young added. “Was it from a farm-made, homegrown village? I don’t think so. It was from a factory farm that’s killing us. I’ve been working on this idea of bringing the food and the drink and the merch into the realm where it’s all clean. I will make sure that the food comes from real farmers.”

In the end, he'd like to create an approach that other acts could adopt as their own. “Once it’s up and going, and I’m finished with my part of the tour, there’s no reason why the tour has to stop,” Young said. “The tour can keep on going with another headliner. It’s about sustainability and renewability in the future, loving Earth for what it is. We want to do the right thing. That’s kind of the idea.”

Sounds like he's done touring, to me. How realistic is it that he can actually make this happen any time soon?

Thank god I saw him live already. Elite show!

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: December 2, 2022 00:23

Tonight at the movies
Harvest film

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 2, 2022 03:24

I'm going Dec. 4th.

Let us know how you liked it, kkhoranstoned.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: December 2, 2022 04:38

Lots of jamming
Very cool remember the 70 s
So rolling stones mobile for London symphony
Interesting vocal overdubs.
I just left the theater
So I love watching the song come together. Helped being on a large screen.need sleep off to art basel in a.m.

Posted by: automaticchanger ()
Date: December 2, 2022 05:24

I just saw it and enjoyed it a lot more than I anticipated, just due to being an obsessive and knowing the footage from Journey Through the Past and the Archives site. He went for alternate scene edits almost the whole way through, and even entire scenes that he never released before, which was great. Our pal Stu is visible for a second with Glyn in the main studio with the Orchestra, plus two scenes in the Mobile.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: December 2, 2022 10:30

That footage is pure gold, although I've seen parts of it from bootlegs, et al.

The barn, and CSNY (in various configurations) doing vocals in the studio were the best parts imo, and the talk was overall pretty interesting.

In true Neil fashion, he ad-libbed (with a few edits) a new intro, which was amusing and a nice touch.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 2, 2022 12:02

Neil is one of those guys who shaped my life. Between age 13 and 39, I’ve seen him in 5 countries and a few of them back to back gigs each time. I liked him in 93, but really I was going because Pearl Jam were supporting. They were great, but Neil was a tour de force in different way and on another level. Howling shrieking guitar. I got addicted to that sound only he can produce. Same with the solo Neil, it’s a pleasure to be in his presence and hear him sing his songs. The ones HE wants to sing. I saw him back to back nights in 2019, Neil, his guitars, his harmonica, his pianos, and organs. He was walking around between the keys and picking out different guitars according to whatever mood struck him. It’s a privilege to watch that. Same with 2 of the Vicar Street gigs back in the 2000s, mesmerizing.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 2, 2022 12:45

I might go and see it on Sunday. I'm guessing this was shot around the same time as the Journey Thru The Past movie, but focuses more on the making of his masterpiece, and less on his weirdnesses and eccentricities?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 2, 2022 19:32

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 3, 2022 07:31

Paddy
I saw him back to back nights in 2019, Neil, his guitars, his harmonica, his pianos, and organs. He was walking around between the keys and picking out different guitars according to whatever mood struck him. It’s a privilege to watch that.
I saw him at the Tower Theater 2 back to back nights and it was literally exactly what you described and I couldn't stop telling people about it afterwards. You were in the presence of a legend just walking around the stage, picking up a guitar and playing classic after classic. The greatest thing was he played like 10 straight acoustic classics in a row, each better than the last. Then the lights went down, he picked up an electric guitar and just blasted out Ohio. I have NEVER heard a reaction like that from an audience and honestly, it had only been half an hour but the show could have ended there. It was the true definition of "epic" and I feel so incredibly honored to have been in the audience for those shows. Neil is an absolutely master and that was a master of his craft OWNING that stage like a legend.

Date: December 4, 2022 04:04

RollingFreak
Paddy
I saw him back to back nights in 2019, Neil, his guitars, his harmonica, his pianos, and organs. He was walking around between the keys and picking out different guitars according to whatever mood struck him. It’s a privilege to watch that.
I saw him at the Tower Theater 2 back to back nights and it was literally exactly what you described and I couldn't stop telling people about it afterwards. You were in the presence of a legend just walking around the stage, picking up a guitar and playing classic after classic. The greatest thing was he played like 10 straight acoustic classics in a row, each better than the last. Then the lights went down, he picked up an electric guitar and just blasted out Ohio. I have NEVER heard a reaction like that from an audience and honestly, it had only been half an hour but the show could have ended there. It was the true definition of "epic" and I feel so incredibly honored to have been in the audience for those shows. Neil is an absolutely master and that was a master of his craft OWNING that stage like a legend.

Honoured is the word I would also use. It was like watching a great painter create a work in front of you over 90 minutes. A shade of the piano, a touch of guitar, a dab of harmonica, etc. He sort of prowled the stage but completely at ease, like a man engrossed in his work, at ease on the stage, but picking up different tools. IF they were the last Neil gigs I’ll get to see, they were great ones to finish with.

I’m sure he referenced it in the gig you saw also, but in Vancouver he mentioned he had the actual piano he wrote some of the Harvest stuff on. I can’t remember exactly what song he mentioned it before. I just couldn’t believe I was watching the guy play the song at the piano he wrote it on. (Heart of gold is the song in my head, but I can’t be sure, I’d smoked a bit before I went in each night)
He did Ohio in Vancouver also, a green Gretch I think it was he played.

I’ve seen Neil 14/15 times, but those 2019 gigs are in the top five I’ve seen. 1996 indoors in Dublin will always be the best Neil gig I’ve seen. There was something in the air that night. There’s a pretty good boot of it on YouTube.

[m.youtube.com]

Date: February 9, 2023 03:06

Just gonna leave this here for Hairball smileys with beer

In an interview with Austin Lifestyle magazine Micah Nelson said:

"I might be going on tour with Neil Young and Crazy Horse this summer."

https://citylifestyle.com/austin/issues/2023-02

Nothing else in the interview about the prospective tour, aside from that one line.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 9, 2023 03:28

BeastyBurdeny

Nothing else in the interview about the prospective tour, aside from that one line.

Cheers for that news BeastyBurdeny. smileys with beer
Micah Nelson would be a perfect fit to fill the void of Nils Lofgren whose touring with the Boss, and also Poncho Sampedro whose basically been out of comission. Bring in the young gun, and get the cannons firing!
With the prospect that Neil might really perform live and in the flesh again at the upcoming Willie Nelson 90 shindig, things are looking brighter for good old Neil and his fans...I was beginning to have some doubts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-09 03:29 by Hairball.

Date: February 9, 2023 03:40

Hairball
BeastyBurdeny

Micah Nelson would be a perfect fit to fill the void of Nils Lofgren whose touring with the Boss, and also Poncho Sampedro whose basically been out of comission. Bring in the young gun, and get the cannons firing!
With the prospect that Neil might really perform live and in the flesh again at the upcoming Willie Nelson 90 shindig, things are looking brighter for good old Neil and his fans...I was beginning to have some doubts.

Hot damn! I called that one. Poncho is retired & doing well in Hawaii by all accounts. Micah is a perfect replacement. I saw him open for the Flaming Lips recently & he was outstanding. He came back out with the Lips & did a blistering solo on one song. Hope the tour happens & it comes near me.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 9, 2023 03:52

crholmstrom
Hairball
BeastyBurdeny

Hot damn! I called that one. Poncho is retired & doing well in Hawaii by all accounts. Micah is a perfect replacement. I saw him open for the Flaming Lips recently & he was outstanding. He came back out with the Lips & did a blistering solo on one song. Hope the tour happens & it comes near me.

Of all the times I saw Promise of the Real backing Neil, it was Micah and Neil who gelled the most...you could sense a mutual appreciation between the two much more so than Neil with Lukas Nelson.
Perhaps it was the experimental expertise that the younger Micah exhibited, and his willingness to go off the deep end...he's way more skilled and accomplished than Lukas imo

Date: February 9, 2023 05:56

Hairball
crholmstrom
Hairball
BeastyBurdeny

Of all the times I saw Promise of the Real backing Neil, it was Micah and Neil who gelled the most...you could sense a mutual appreciation between the two much more so than Neil with Lukas Nelson.
Perhaps it was the experimental expertise that the younger Micah exhibited, and his willingness to go off the deep end...he's way more skilled and accomplished than Lukas imo

Micah is an artist & Lukas wants to be a rock star. I'm a huge fan of Micah. Particle Kid "Time Capsule" was my favorite album of 2022. Fantastic stuff!

Date: February 9, 2023 06:31

BeastyBurdeny

I really hope this comes through town….

Date: February 9, 2023 22:04

Paddy
BeastyBurdeny

No doubt, I hope he finds his way back to YVR or Seattle...

Date: February 9, 2023 22:49

BeastyBurdeny
Paddy
BeastyBurdeny

I discovered the Hayden Home Amphitheater in Bend OR last summer. I went to Nine Inch Nails there. It's a long drive from Seattle but worth it. Capacity 8000. It was the best summer shed venue I've ever been to. Great sight lines & sound, super well organized, easy parking. I was really impressed. It would be a good venue for the Horse.

Date: February 9, 2023 23:28

I’d really like to catch him once more, last time was something special, but the Horse conjures a different Neil and that’s the Neil I’d love to see again.

Date: February 9, 2023 23:44

crholmstrom
BeastyBurdeny
Paddy
BeastyBurdeny

I discovered the Hayden Home Amphitheater in Bend OR last summer. I went to Nine Inch Nails there. It's a long drive from Seattle but worth it. Capacity 8000. It was the best summer shed venue I've ever been to. Great sight lines & sound, super well organized, easy parking. I was really impressed. It would be a good venue for the Horse.

Sounds great! I'll probably catch as many PNW shows as I can, as who knows how many more tours will follow.

Date: February 9, 2023 23:45

Paddy
I’d really like to catch him once more, last time was something special, but the Horse conjures a different Neil and that’s the Neil I’d love to see again.

Absolutely smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3637383940414243444546...LastNext
Current Page: 41 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home