Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young stuff
Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: March 18, 2022 21:46

Thats of course his right and thats to be respected. It seems a bit exagerated though. Hope he will find it doable soon!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2022 22:19

Probably just a matter time before he gets the itch to get back on the road, but he sounds quite adamant about his stance, and in a way it's quite noble - a bit stubborn maybe, but he's always done things his way.
While it seems the pandemic is easing up, there's now reports in increases in cases and deaths in even the most vaccinated countries in the world. Can't let the guard down fully just yet, and gotta keep up hope.thumbs up

In the meantime, an interesting article from FaroutMagazineUK.

The two artists Neil Young said were "way beyond" everybody else

Neil

Neil Young might have a modern-day reputation of being a bit of a prickly idealist, but the truth is that Young is as giving and generous as an artist can be. As the appointed “Godfather of Grunge”, Young personally helped Pearl Jam make it out of their lowest point by recruiting the group as his backing band for the Mirror Ball album. Similarly, Young might enjoy dalliances with other groups, but he’s beyond loyal to his original band, Crazy Horse. He’s one of the rare figures who holds his personal morals and relationships with those he cares about above any monetary incentives.

He’s also badass enough to lead tributes to Jimi Hendrix and jam on stage with Led Zeppelin on separate occasions. Whether it’s strumming out heartbreaking acoustic songs or lighting up on fiery electric hard rock tunes, Young always delivers the goods. That’s why he’s the perfect figure to lead the charge against Spotify: few figures in music history are as respected or revered as Young, and he often is looked to for leadership.

But who does Young look to for inspiration? Musically, he’s an amalgamation of influences and genres: folk, garage rock, psychedelic rock, and even jazz would filter through his compositions. In order to connect with Young, an artist has to be at the very top of their game. So it’s no surprise which two artists Young pointed to in a 1979 Rolling Stone interview with Cameron Crowe.

“I never forgot that every time a new Beatles or Dylan album came out, you knew they were way beyond it,” Young recalled. “They were always doing something else, always moving down the line.” That constant forward motion has served Young well: he’s never made the same album twice, and he’s been unafraid to lean into genres that weren’t necessarily in his wheelhouse. It’s not hard to see how The Beatles and Bob Dylan would be catalysts for that.

In an earlier 1975 Rolling Stone interview with Crowe, Young recalled that The Beatles were the band that originally got him motivated to get on stage and sing. “I remember singing Beatles tunes … the first song I ever sang in front of people was ‘It Won’t Be Long’, and then Money (That’s What I Want),” Young recalled. “That was in Calvin High School [Winnipeg] cafeteria. My big moment.”

Young would pay tribute to his two major influences by covering their work on stage: there was the time that Young famously covered ‘Blowin’ in the Wind’ on his 1991 live album Weld. Young also has taken on ‘A Day in the Life’ as a set closer for some of his most recent tours, even sharing the stage with Paul McCartney on a few different occasions.

From Hyde Park, 2009:

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: March 19, 2022 08:34

I hope I get to see Neil with Promise of the real once more. Failing that Neil in any capacity! Neil gigs have been part of my life since 1993.

Date: March 19, 2022 12:37

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 19, 2022 12:41

Paddy
I hope I get to see Neil with Promise of the real once more. Failing that Neil in any capacity! Neil gigs have been part of my life since 1993.

Crazy Horse would be good, too.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 19, 2022 21:40

Quick funny Neil story (sort of). 3 or 4 years ago, I made the trip to Winnipeg - coldest I’ve ever been -8F. Anyway, Neil and the Horse played at the Burton Cummings Theater. Great show. Part of the reason I went though, was because It’s not far from the N. Dakota border and that was the last state of the 50 I had never been.
So, the morning of the show, I drove the hour or so down to the N. Dakota border. And it’s like 9am, and I mean Bitter cold, and in one of the most desolate, remote parts of N America. So I get to the US Customs. And the guy is like asking me why I am there, what’s my business - and I tell him I just want to say I’ve been to N Dakota, state #50… And he’s looking at me like, what?
Him: Well, what are you doing up in Winnipeg?
Me: Well, I’m going to see Neil Young play tonight.
Him: Uh huh. Wanna open the trunk please?
Hahaha. So I go down into a small town, grab a cup of coffee. State #50 in the books. Pretty much the same 3rd degree going back up into Canada - minus opening the trunk.
But yeah - rocking show, with Neil and Nils Lofgren battling it out for 2 hours.

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: March 19, 2022 22:41

^^

50 states, good for you, there's probably not too many that can say that, and N. Young to boot!

Date: March 20, 2022 23:56

crholmstrom
Paddy

Neil with the horse is always great, but having caught a few gigs with Promise of the Real, they bring out the best in him somehow. Better musicians maybe...

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 21, 2022 02:08

Paddy
crholmstrom
Paddy

Neil with the horse is always great, but having caught a few gigs with Promise of the Real, they bring out the best in him somehow. Better musicians maybe...

Only seen Neil Young once. He was with Promise of the Real and man were they locked in. They definitely didn’t phone it in. Electric show!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 21, 2022 13:16

Paddy
crholmstrom
Paddy

I've written this before but I suspect that if Nils Lofgren is tied up with Springsteen & Neil wants to tour with the Horse, Micah Nelson will be guitar 2. There seems to be a special connection between Micah & Uncle Neil.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: March 21, 2022 14:03

The Springsteen tour seems to be postponed until 2023, so that woud leave plenty of time to play with Nils Lofgren. I really hope that will happen. To me Barn is a great record that I keep going back to. Love the movie too.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 21, 2022 14:59

northof49
^^

50 states, good for you, there's probably not too many that can say that, and N. Young to boot!

I've got 44 down myself. Almost there. Utah, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Alaska, and Hawaii are the only ones left.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 21, 2022 16:24

VoodooLounge13
northof49
^^

I've got 44 down myself. Almost there. Utah, Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Alaska, and Hawaii are the only ones left.

Also at 44 too. Still have Alabama, Mississippi, S Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucky and S. Dakota. Can't see getting to all 50 though.

Date: March 21, 2022 17:27

daspyknows
VoodooLounge13
northof49
^^

Also at 44 too. Still have Alabama, Mississippi, S Carolina, Arkansas, Kentucky and S. Dakota. Can't see getting to all 50 though.

You're not missing much by not seeing AL, AR or MS!

Date: March 21, 2022 17:39

crholmstrom
Paddy
crholmstrom
Paddy

I've written this before but I suspect that if Nils Lofgren is tied up with Springsteen & Neil wants to tour with the Horse, Micah Nelson will be guitar 2. There seems to be a special connection between Micah & Uncle Neil.

Neil and Micah work together better than almost any other guitar duo I've ever seen live (up there with Moore/Ranaldo, McCready/Stone...)

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 21, 2022 17:51

Good story on completing the 50 states quest, Northof49. I scratched North Dakota off the list when I moved out West in 1993. Discovered they had their own Badlands to rival South Dakota’s.

I made it to the 50th state, Hawaii, for my 50th birthday a few years back, leaving the 49th state, Alaska, as the last on my list.

If Neil plays in Alaska, I’m so there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-21 17:52 by Javadave.

Date: March 21, 2022 18:19

NashvilleBlues
daspyknows
VoodooLounge13
northof49
^^

I did cross Tennessee off the list a few weeks ago with a Nashville trip to record a show at the Ryman.

Date: March 21, 2022 18:22

Sweet! I live 20 minutes from The Ryman. I'll be there Wednesday for Bob Dylan. What did you think of The Ryman/Nashville?

Date: March 21, 2022 19:39

daspyknows
VoodooLounge13
northof49
^^

I definitely plan on getting to all 50, no doubt about that!!

Date: March 21, 2022 19:40

NashvilleBlues
daspyknows
VoodooLounge13
northof49
^^

Actually I disagree about MS - very beautiful state, and I was pleasantly surprised by Birmingham, AL. Not at all what I'd expected.

Date: March 21, 2022 19:42

NashvilleBlues
Sweet! I live 20 minutes from The Ryman. I'll be there Wednesday for Bob Dylan. What did you think of The Ryman/Nashville?

I personally think Nashville is a great city. I prefer Memphis, tho the crime is much worse, but Nashville is definitely growing and there's a lot of newer high rises. Much to do there.

Date: March 21, 2022 19:49

VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
daspyknows
VoodooLounge13
northof49
^^

Actually I disagree about MS - very beautiful state, and I was pleasantly surprised by Birmingham, AL. Not at all what I'd expected.

I should've clarified. MS is pretty, but many of the people I've encountered were sketchy and the public places, like restaurants, parking lots, etc. are a filthy mess. Has a dirty depressing vibe from my experiences.

Date: March 21, 2022 20:03

NashvilleBlues

The Ryman was awesome. If there was someone I wanted to go see there I'd go back. The rest of the "strip" was interesting. A lot of talentless musicians playing distorted music and stumbling drunks. Good bbq and Shotgun Willie's.

Date: March 21, 2022 20:28

daspyknows
NashvilleBlues

The Ryman was awesome. If there was someone I wanted to go see there I'd go back. The rest of the "strip" was interesting. A lot of talentless musicians playing distorted music and stumbling drunks. Good bbq and Shotgun Willie's.

Haha! Yep. That's Broadway. The bar bands suck. Probably tons of bachelorette parties too. Let me know if you come again so I can say hi in person!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 21, 2022 20:38

VoodooLounge13

Depending on where your starting from.. fairly easy to hit most of these on one (extended) road trip.

Utah to Idaho, then east to Oregon, up to Washington where you can take a state ferry to Alaska!
Fly to Hawaii from there or Washington winking smiley

Date: March 21, 2022 20:41

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13
NashvilleBlues
daspyknows
VoodooLounge13
northof49
^^

I should've clarified. MS is pretty, but many of the people I've encountered were sketchy and the public places, like restaurants, parking lots, etc. are a filthy mess. Has a dirty depressing vibe from my experiences.

Ah yes, that I would agree with you on!!

Date: March 21, 2022 20:42

MisterDDDD
VoodooLounge13

Depending on where your starting from.. fairly easy to hit most of these on one (extended) road trip.

Utah to Idaho, then east to Oregon, up to Washington where you can take a state ferry to Alaska!

Yeah, the PNW is an area that has completely eluded me, but one day I'll make it out there. Seattle is a bucket list destination for me, and actually the top spot in the US that I want to see that I haven't.

Date: March 21, 2022 20:44

NashvilleBlues
daspyknows
NashvilleBlues

Haha! Yep. That's Broadway. The bar bands suck. Probably tons of bachelorette parties too. Let me know if you come again so I can say hi in person!

Had heard stories about this before I went, but it was the bridesmaid upchucking outside the bar that made my visit feel complete drinking smiley
That, and the Johnny Cash museum.

Love the Ryman, have a postponed concert from the pandemic ticket now good for Sept..looking forward to visiting again smileys with beer

Posted by: northof49 ()
Date: March 21, 2022 22:25

MisterDDDD
VoodooLounge13

One VERY extended road trip, Oregon being WEST of Idaho. Better bring lots of gas money on your road tripsmiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 21, 2022 22:30

northof49
MisterDDDD
VoodooLounge13

One VERY extended road trip, Oregon being WEST of Idaho. Better bring lots of gas money on your road tripsmiling bouncing smiley

Lol.. yes.

Also
Legal smoking smiley out here on the Best Coast cool smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home