Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young stuff
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 30, 2022 16:50

Please do NOT use this thread for political comments. Any such comments will be deleted.

Bjornulf

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 30, 2022 17:12

(nothing political here but)

isn't it strange that a media personality has more "weight" than a rock legend with a 55-year long career and many many masterpieces to his credit?

Has music become sth expendable and musicians have been deprived of a well-deserved respect?

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 30, 2022 17:52

dcba

isn't it strange that a media personality has more "weight" than a rock legend with a 55-year long career and many many masterpieces to his credit?

Has music become sth expendable and musicians have been deprived of a well-deserved respect?

It’s all about money. No surprise here.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2022 23:10

After Neil Young Boycott, Spotify Adding Content Advisories to Any Podcast That Discusses COVID-19

Young and Joni Mitchell’s exit in protest over Joe Rogan’s COVID-19 misinformation has been followed by other artist and podcast departures from the platform

"...the streaming platform’s CEO Daniel Ek released a statement in response today. Ek outlined steps the company plans to take to combat COVID-19 misinformation,
largely centered on a plan to add content advisories to every podcast episode that includes a discussion about COVID-19".

> NEIL

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 30, 2022 23:54

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 31, 2022 04:59

Slowride
Just some financial disclosure. Neil Young sold 50% of his catalog to Hipgnosis Songs Fund Limited in 2021. So financially he has the bandwidth to have principles. An investor in Hipgnosis Songs Fund Limited is The Black Stone Group (which is Part owned by BlackRock).

We might think of Neil Young as having some musical/historical importance, but Spotify and the whole music industry makes their money on artists who's names probably have never been mentioned on this forum.

[newsroom.spotify.com]

So financially, as long as "Bad Bunny" doesn't pull their songs, the industry won't loose sleep. Nobody cares about Neil. And Neil is sitting at home having cashed his catalogue.

It's not so easy that this is just the question of Neil having afford to it or Spotify only losing him or a couple of other artists that has a marginal importance in their roster. Nor does is it matter whatever is Neil Young's musical/historical importance. All of that only has a symbolic significance. But that matters enough. Namely it is this very issue of Covid-19 and the response to it, he has brought up on the table that matters and there probably are not globally bigger issues that people are awere of/interesting in at the moment. Every news media is covering it. It doesn't mean anything at all does anyone likes Neil Young's music or even know he is, but they know what the steak on the table is. (Besides, even the suspicion that 'yeah, in that media artists are dropping off, so there is not 'all' available', might have some drastic consequences when people are making choices beween operators.)

What this whole thing and negative press does to the brand of Spotify? That is: what this whole issue does to their business? Spotify is still a market leader in streaming business that is still increasing, but the competetion is getting tougher and tougher (for operators like Apple Music and Amazon this controversy has been surely a late Christmas present) and the least they need surely is this kind of negative press and the social media full of #delatespotify campaign (we know the speed of that and how dramatic might be its consequences). The value of their marketing stock had decreased in January by almost 25%: [www.forbes.com] (all of it does not can be explained by the Young controversary and Spotify already lost 45% of its stock value last year, but stil the market has reacted to it considerably)

So no wonder that Spotify, as Hairball's link above show, are reacting to it. They need to.

- Doxa

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-31 05:28 by Doxa.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 31, 2022 05:49

THE AUSTRALIAN ---- 31 January 2022

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: January 31, 2022 20:18

NashvilleBlues
dcba

It’s all about money. No surprise here.

If they are motivated by money, which they are, this decision may have cost them the sum of 2 billion already.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

On a different note, I've really enjoyed listening to Barn and hope he gets out on the road when he feels it is safe and ready to do so.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 31, 2022 20:42

Not that I'm "standing in solidarity" and all that millennial crap but I deleted my Spotify account. Was tired of it anyway and it's a total sham in terms of paying artists. This thing with Neil was just a nice reminder.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: January 31, 2022 22:32

I'm thinking of joining Spotify. How much does it cost? Is it a monthly fee or cost per download?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 31, 2022 22:37

terraplane
I'm thinking of joining Spotify. How much does it cost? Is it a monthly fee or cost per download?

You don't know how to google?

- Doxa

Date: January 31, 2022 22:40

Ya'd be better of learning to
dove-tail and joining some pieces of wood ....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 31, 2022 22:46

Doxa
terraplane

You don't know how to google?

- Doxa

I went to their website and it says join for free but then you need to enter details. So I wasn't sure if it is a free trail or free to join and then you pay for downloads. Never used streaming services before!

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: January 31, 2022 23:07

terraplane
I went to their website and it says join for free but then you need to enter details. So I wasn't sure if it is a free trail or free to join and then you pay for downloads. Never used streaming services before!

I recently joined to see what all the fuss Neil was going on about, kind of a drag to register personal details and link your google/fb/etc accounts so they can track you. Best to use strawman accounts so you don't get any unsolicited emails and advertising. No surprise, but I liked what I saw of Rogan's podcasts, the one with Sunjay Gupta was good entertainment - great to see the ever friendly Sunjay in another setting than CNN.

Date: January 31, 2022 23:17

THE AGE ---- 1 February 2022

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 31, 2022 23:19

Part of me ponders what would happen if you had heavy hitters like Taylor Swift abandoning Spotify how much that would make an impact? Just speculating...

Date: January 31, 2022 23:21

skytrench
terraplane

I recently joined to see what all the fuss Neil was going on about, kind of a drag to register personal details and link your google/fb/etc accounts so they can track you. Best to use strawman accounts so you don't get any unsolicited emails and advertising. No surprise, but I liked what I saw of Rogan's podcasts, the one with Sunjay Gupta was good entertainment - great to see the ever friendly Sunjay in another setting than CNN.

I didn't know that there were so many podcasts available on Spotify. Yes, I was wondering why the need to provide personal details when they say it's a free service.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 31, 2022 23:23

Sighunt
Part of me ponders what would happen if you had heavy hitters like Taylor Swift abandoning Spotify how much that would make an impact? Just speculating...

That would make a helluva difference.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 31, 2022 23:47

terraplane
skytrench
terraplane

I didn't know that there were so many podcasts available on Spotify. Yes, I was wondering why the need to provide personal details when they say it's a free service.

Same here. I mainly use Spotify to check new releases if they're worth buying them physically or just for exploring whatever music without a concrete goal in mind.

Wonder why a music streaming service gets involved with politics at all. They should have followed BV's example to avoid politics and stay clear of all the hassle that comes with it.

Date: February 1, 2022 03:36

I guess people want to hear differing perspectives than from mainstream sources. I quite enjoy podcasts on different topics (not politics or COVID).

I like the idea of being able to explore new music. I might just get an account and if I don't like it, cancel it.

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: February 1, 2022 17:39

Graham Nash & India Arie are off spotify.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 1, 2022 18:45

Good on Neil and Joni and others that are pulling their music from Spotify, but the unfortunate thing is if Spotify offered them, let's say, 2 dollars per stream instead of 0.0001 cents or whatever it is then they would probably come back in a heart beat.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 1, 2022 18:53

Not Neil. He stands by his principles.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 1, 2022 18:55

Boognish
Good on Neil and Joni and others that are pulling their music from Spotify, but the unfortunate thing is if Spotify offered them, let's say, 2 dollars per stream instead of 0.0001 cents or whatever it is then they would probably come back in a heart beat.

"Probably" doing a lot of work there.

Not a chance for either of them.
They took their principled stance, have already affected change, no way they walk it back for money.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: February 1, 2022 19:19

You're right, not Neil nor Joni. But I could see other less principled artists going back.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 13, 2022 12:23

Graham Nash, covering Neil's epic Deja Vu track, "Country Girl," a song that Neil himself has only ever performed onstage a handful of times. Graham's been playing it every night on his current small-venue solo tour.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-03-14 00:03 by tatters.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 18, 2022 20:54

From jambands.com

Neil Young Announces ‘Official Release Series Vol. 4’ Box Set

NY

Today, Neil Young has announced the release of the fourth installment of his Official Release Series. The box set will come in both vinyl and CD formats and will release on April 29.

The Official Release Series Vol. 4 box set includes Young’s 1980s records, Hawks & Doves, Re•ac•tor and This Note’s for You, as well as the Eldorado EP, which was only released in Japan and Australia.
This installment of the Official Release Series showcases Young’s sound evolve from his folk roots inclinations on Hawks & Doves (1980) to the distorted and thundering sounds of Eldorado which was released in 1989
and features Young backed by The Restless. Eldorado also includes two tracks that are unavailable on any other album – “Cocaine Eyes” and “Heavy Love.” As one may expect following the recent news involving Young and Spotify the songs will not be shared on the streaming service. The box set will be available for pre-order later today, March 18, at Young’s The Greedy Hand Store website. NY Store

Posted by: calipachangero ()
Date: March 18, 2022 21:12

Are there any plans of touring from Neil?
My first and only concert at Waldbühne Berlin made me longing for more..

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 18, 2022 21:22

calipachangero

Have heard nothing. Not even local shows. Seems like he is staying off the stage until he is comfortable with Covid safety.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 18, 2022 21:26

daspyknows
calipachangero

Have heard nothing. Not even local shows. Seems like he is staying off the stage until he is comfortable with Covid safety.
[www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3233343536373839404142...LastNext
Current Page: 37 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1734
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home