Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 12, 2020 03:52

At Home w/Farm Aid

Love and Only Love....excellent/amazing acoustic solo version....

And now Helpless....my oh my..................

thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-12 03:54 by Hairball.

Re: OT: Neil Young stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 13, 2020 17:13

Nils Lofgren on his return to Neil Young and Crazy Horse: "We hit this groove and nobody wanted to stop"

The Bruce Springsteen guitarist details the recording of Colorado, his first album with the band since 1975

By Richard Bienstock

Jerry Frishman

[www.guitarworld.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 15, 2020 22:27

Movietone Premiere: Sun Green

From Return to Greendale

Sun Green - played by Sarah White. This is the Live Greendale. The Horse is in the pocket. The story is told in front of the home crowd and we had a blast.

Now Showing on Page 4 of the Times Contrarian

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: April 18, 2020 23:43

Just watched Fireside Sessions III - absolutely brilliant!!

I know he doesn't give a sh*t about his audience but the song selection of these sessions for die hard fans is just great. Piano version of Throw Your Hatred Down FFS! Thank you Neil ... long may you run

Posted by: Bol ()
Date: April 26, 2020 01:47

Just stumbled across this in isolation ... fantastic!

I saw Neil solo at Hammersmith Odeon on this tour in 1989 (one of the best concerts I have ever seen) and he blew me away, particularly Crime In The City which is the last song here ... enjoy

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: April 26, 2020 01:58

Captain Teague

I know he doesn't give a sh*t about his audience but the song selection of these sessions for die hard fans is just great. Piano version of Throw Your Hatred Down FFS! Thank you Neil ... long may you run

I rewatched the Pearl Jam 20 documentary recently and there was a quote(s) about how Neil Young taught them a lot about being a band. Play whatever size place suits you and play what you want. They listened, they are as legendary with their setlists as Neil is!

Of all the music I love and some more than his, Neil Young gets the most respect from me. He does and did what he wanted and it’s resulted in some brilliant and shit moments. But way more of the brilliance than shit.

I’ve a longer live love affair with him than the stones, first saw him in 93 age 13. Pearl Jam we’re in support. Booker T and the MGs were Neils backing band. Great day for a semi drunk 13 year old!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2020 20:39

Paddy
Captain Teague

I rewatched the Pearl Jam 20 documentary recently and there was a quote(s) about how Neil Young taught them a lot about being a band. Play whatever size place suits you and play what you want. They listened, they are as legendary with their setlists as Neil is!

Of all the music I love and some more than his, Neil Young gets the most respect from me. He does and did what he wanted and it’s resulted in some brilliant and shit moments. But way more of the brilliance than shit.

I’ve a longer live love affair with him than the stones, first saw him in 93 age 13. Pearl Jam we’re in support. Booker T and the MGs were Neils backing band. Great day for a semi drunk 13 year old!

Totally @#$%& agree with every word of that. He's similar to Lou Reed to me. Better, at least live, but similar in the way of there can be whole decades I just ignore Neil, and he's still got enough good that outweighs the bad, which is so impressive and unlikely for most bands. I guess he's also like David Bowie to me in that way as well. Bowie's run of Space Oddity to Diamond Dogs to me is pretty perfect that he could literally do nothing after that and I'd still think he was one of the greatest. And yet on top of that he still DID do some incredible stuff even though there was also a lot I didn't like. I also liked that all 3 of those guys so obviously never became corporate shills. But yeah, Neil more than almost anyone else just did what he wanted and a lot of times to spectacular results. Few people make me smile the way Neil does when he gets it right. And usually its more than a smile and more like a "@#$%& yeah."

Everytime I hear that story about how Neil wrote Ohio in like 5 minutes as he saw it happening on the news I'm reminded how truly genius he is. Cause it just sounds SO Neil, but also it could have been anything. It could have been something like Down By The River, which is then a staple for the rest of his career. But its a song thats a staple and also a cultural touchstone to so many people. Neil is just brilliant, and I'm so happy he is so much more present than I feel he was a few years ago when there were rumors he was having health issues.

Date: May 11, 2020 02:44

Just a matter of time now...6/19 to be precise:

Neil Young Shares Tracklist & Release Date For Shelved 1975 Album Homegrown Plus A Fourth Fireside Session

Homegrown

Seems like this Neil Young Homegrown release is really going to happen! On Neil Young Archives today is the tracklist and release date for the legendary shelved album,
which he’s been prepping for release this year. Young recorded the bulk of the material in 1974 with release initially planned for 1975. “It was a little too personal,”
Young told Cameron Crowe in a Rolling Stone interview at the time. “It scared me. I’ve never released any of those. And I probably never will. I think I’d be too embarrassed to put them out. They’re a little too real.”

Well, they’re coming out now — specifically, on 6/19. Here’s the official tracklist:

01 “Separate Ways”
02 “Try”
03 “Mexico”
04 “Love Is A Rose”
05 “Homegrown”
06 “Florida”
07 “Kansas”
08 “We Don’t Smoke It No More”
09 “White Line”
10 “Vacancy”
11 “Little Wing”
12 “Star Of Bethlehem”

Also on Neil Young Archives today is another Fireside Session. Throughout these weeks of widespread quarantine, the legendary folk-rocker has been sharing these videos, sort of EP-length solo acoustic sets filmed in various spots around his homestead in the Rockies, shot and edited on an iPad by his wife, Daryl Hannah. They’ve teamed up for three so far, and now there is a fourth.

This latest session is comparatively long, spanning 37 minutes and eight songs. It begins with “One Of These Days” by a campfire before Young takes his guitar inside. By the fireplace, between “Good To See You” and “Daddy Went Walkin’,” is his first known public performance of “Through My Sails.” The scene shifts to the piano for “After The Goldrush” and “Mother Earth,” then goes back outside for “Distant Camera.” It wraps up with another piano song, “Are You Ready For The Country,” matched with images of Young’s dogs playing in nature. Notably, three of these songs are from Young’s 2000 album Silver & Gold, which turned 20 years old a couple weeks back. Check it out at Neil Young Archives. Fireside Session IV

Homegrown is out 6/19 on Warner.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 15, 2020 07:39

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: May 15, 2020 14:06

Some branding trivia on the NY front. Yesterday, the Facebook page called, "Neil Young Archives" merged with the "Neil Youn" FB page and was subsequently renamed, "Neil Young - Reprise Records."

No idea what the corporate implications for this are other than streamlining his online presence.

Cheers,
SonicD

Date: May 15, 2020 19:43

thumbs up

Via Rolling Stone: Try
The first glimpse of his long-lost 1975 album Homegrown sees Young offering a more heartsick version of Harvest-era country-rock warmth

Neil Young has released the charming “Try” from Homegrown, the long-lost 1975 album that he’s finally decided to release next month. The COVID-19 pandemic delayed the record’s arrival, but we’ve already waited nearly 50 years for it to come out. What’s another few months?

The soothing barroom ditty opens with Levon Helm’s subtle drumming, as Young beckons, “Darlin’, the door is open/To my heart, and I’ve been hopin’/That you would be the one to struggle with the key.” He blankets his request with a startlingly optimistic statement: “We got lots of time to get together if we try.”

Emmylou Harris lends lovely, fleeting vocals, while half of Young’s later band the Stray Gators — pedal steel legend Ben Keith and bassist Tim Drummond — chug along behind. It’s almost too fitting that Young sings, “And I try to wash my hands/And I try to make amends,” but its timeliness is appreciated just the same.

Homegrown was written in the wake of Young’s painful separation with actress Carrie Snodgress, his muse on the 1972 breakthrough Harvest who appeared in his 1974 cinematic oddity, Journey Through the Past. Later, on “Try,” he quotes her mother’s favorite catchphrase, “Shit, Mary, I can’t dance.”

“Try” is one of the seven unreleased tracks off Homegrown. Young tossed it into setlist rotation in 2007 and 2008, performing it a mere 20 times. When he can finally get back on the road, it’ll be interesting to see if and how he plays it, dusting it off from its time in the vault.

Neil Young will release “Homegrown” on June 19th. To hear “Try,” go to Young’s Archives site. Find a playlist of all of our recent Songs You Need to Know selections on Spotify.

Neil back in November from the Archives:

“I apologize. This album Homegrown should have been there for you a couple of years after Harvest. It’s the sad side of a love affair. The damage done. The heartache.
I just couldn’t listen to it. I wanted to move on. So I kept it to myself, hidden away in the vault, on the shelf, in the back of my mind... but I should have shared it.
It’s actually beautiful. That’s why I made it in the first place. Sometimes life hurts. You know what I mean. This is the one that got away.”

Date: June 12, 2020 07:51

Date: June 12, 2020 08:33

Wow thumbs up

Posted by: Satisfaction ()
Date: June 12, 2020 09:20

The sound is tight as a fist.What a great song!!!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 3, 2020 02:22

The Toronto documentary theatre, Hot Docs, is closed at the moment so they are streaming some of their content, including a 6-part lecture about Neil Young, which will be available for streaming from July 30. Details in the link below. I expect this could be accessed from other countries, but not sure.

[boxoffice.hotdocs.ca]

Date: July 30, 2020 22:28

"I also wanted to let you know I’ll be having a very special single coming out soon".

New email received from Neil Young/Archives:

Hi,
This is Neil and I wanted to send a note of thanks to all the subscribing members of NYA, NeilYoungArchives.Com.
I’m so glad you joined me to share my “online gizmo.” I'm not kidding when I say thanks! I really appreciate all of you and hope you use the site as much as you like.
More features are being added all the time, so check back often to see what’s new.
Here are just a few things going on that I wanted to update you on:

One of my favorite things coming up is adding my Concerts to the Timeline, where you’ll be able to find a performance you have requested, assuming we have it. It will be here for you, and it might have your name on it if you like. Throughout the more than 50 years of the timeline, your picks and favorites will begin to show up. It’s something I’m very excited to do.

We have just started adding out-takes and we will be adding more all the time. Second update coming with two Harvest out-takes.
I think we’re going to share a Zuma out-take with you real soon on the third update. This is for people who are way into it.

If you just want to hear the music, your NYA high-res is unbeatable. You have it all as far as my music goes, and there’s no better source anywhere for quality and quantity.

The Times-Contrarian paper is always changing . . . sometimes it has one vibe but not for too long, the way life is. It has no schedule, but I’m working on it most days, and it comes and it goes.
There is some big news coming in the next 10 days.

I’m also working on my personal new film project, “The Timeless Orpheum”, having a blast with Lost Planet. I’m making this for NYA members to screen first.

The “Fireside Sessions” dhlovelife and I do will be continuing. VII is next!

I also wanted to let you know I’ll be having a very special single coming out soon.

Our world, too, is going through a giant cultural shift, with old norms giving way to new values. Black Lives Matter, OAC’s resounding address of truth on Women in America, the leadership role we once played and can play again, Indigenous Rights, - “The old order is rapidly fading.” - Dylan
all the best and thanks
be well
stay safe.
Stop the spread.
LOVE
love Neil

Date: July 31, 2020 06:03

OT: 30 years today of "Ragged Glory" by Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: September 9, 2020 13:42

Don't know, but this is one of the greatest masterpieces of the rock & roll all times. New Ragged Glory Sessions is comimg by the way, salud!!

[www.dirtyrock.info]

Carlitos
Tenerife

Re: OT: 30 years today of "Ragged Glory" by Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: September 9, 2020 18:56

The Horse was breathing fire on this one. One of the crunchiest records during some very crunchy times in the early 90’s during the heyday of Grunge. This record is near and dear to me and has always stayed in my rotation. Neil clearly regards it highly as he has kept many of the tunes in his set lists. His younger cohorts in Promise Of The Real are very tuned in to this material. Hopefully, the shutdown will end soon and Neil will have a chance to play with Ralph and Billy again as well as POTR. Looking forward to hearing the expanded version of this classic.

Long live the Horse!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 9, 2020 19:12

The tour was excellent, too. I was supposed to see Seattle, Portland & Spokane but Spokane got cancelled. No Social Distortion but got Drivin & Cryin instead. A favorite memory from Portland: when Sonic Youth started banging on the guitars with screwdrivers during Xpressway to Yr Skull there were Fredheads (Deadheads) literally running out of the arena with their hands on their ears. Hilarious! During the Seattle show, Neil got possessed by the ghost of Jimi Hendrix during Tonight's the Night. You have to hear the tape....! smoking smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 9, 2020 19:52

Funny that Neil recorded this one partly with digital devices... smoking smiley

[www.rusted-moon.com]

Date: September 9, 2020 20:09

Great album, great tour, great song, great version....teetering on the edge...intense...

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 9, 2020 22:46

I went to the Cap Centre show that was used for the Weld video. Very loud, great show. The Weld video needs a Blu-ray release.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 9, 2020 22:49

thumbs up
ab
I went to the Cap Centre show that was used for the Weld video. Very loud, great show. The Weld video needs a Blu-ray release.

Posted by: Fernandobsas ()
Date: September 10, 2020 01:02

Country Home one of the best Young songs.

Bye
Fernando

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 10, 2020 01:12

My first purchase of a Neil Young Album...

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 10, 2020 01:29

The album was great, and the tour was high octane, but after seeing openers Social Distortion, then Sonic Youth, then N&CH come out and make a huge noise with little subtlety or nuance, my ears (even then) had had enough.

CH is Neil's most rocking and empathetic band, but they're a bit of a one-trick pony (pun intended).

My favorite Neil band I saw live was in 2008, with Ben Keith, Rick Rosas, and Spooner Oldham. Heavy, rocking, and musical.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 10, 2020 08:47

Such a great album. Had it turned up to “eleven” many times!

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 10, 2020 15:02

ab

It absolutely does.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 10, 2020 17:56

One of my fave NY and CH albums. I kept it cranked on the stereo for a long while. Saw the show at the now gone Cap Centre fueled by some of Mother Nature's own and Jose Cuervo. Hated the opening act(s). Sonic Youth was all noise as I remember their set. NY and CH played very loud which left my ears ringing for a good while after the show. How many of us vintage folks now wear hearing aids today because of the follies of youth? I'll venture a lot.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2627282930313233343536...LastNext
Current Page: 31 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1563
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home