Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: January 19, 2020 04:40

In my high school time (also in the 70s) pocket money was rather tight so every concert had to be a carefully considered choice. Styx, Foreigner, Boston, Bruce were not among my favourites and possibly didn't tour Europe anyway at that time. The only US act that came over frequently was Zappa, who sold more tickets in Europe than in the US anyway (at least I read so). But I loved Kansas, and judging from Two For The Show and tapes/boots from that time, they must have been a spectacular live band in the 70s and it's a real pitty could never see them back then. (To me, they were never the same again after Livgren left.)

But there were great gigs e.g. by Doldinger's Passport or Missus Beastly, and I also have fond memories of Jethro Tull in 1974 (my first rock concert altogether) and Santana in 1975. Saw Tull again in 1989 or 1990 and Santana on the sandwich tour with Dylan in 1984 and both shows didn't come remotely close to the 70s shows.

First time I made it to see Neil was on the Mirror Ball tour with (most of) Pearl Jam (great show), and last in 2014 (great show again, and covered by 5 or 6 different tapers grinning smiley ).

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 19, 2020 05:11

doitywoik
In my high school time (also in the 70s) pocket money was rather tight so every concert had to be a carefully considered choice. Styx, Foreigner, Boston, Bruce were not among my favourites and possibly didn't tour Europe anyway at that time. The only US act that came over frequently was Zappa, who sold more tickets in Europe than in the US anyway (at least I read so). But I loved Kansas, and judging from Two For The Show and tapes/boots from that time, they must have been a spectacular live band in the 70s and it's a real pitty could never see them back then. (To me, they were never the same again after Livgren left.)

But there were great gigs e.g. by Doldinger's Passport or Missus Beastly, and I also have fond memories of Jethro Tull in 1974 (my first rock concert altogether) and Santana in 1975. Saw Tull again in 1989 or 1990 and Santana on the sandwich tour with Dylan in 1984 and both shows didn't come remotely close to the 70s shows.

First time I made it to see Neil was on the Mirror Ball tour with (most of) Pearl Jam (great show), and last in 2014 (great show again, and covered by 5 or 6 different tapers grinning smiley ).

I started working when i was 13, so i had the money for some shows if my parents would let me go. & concerts were way more affordable in those days. i remember we were all shocked when led zeppelin dared to charge $10 in 1977!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 19, 2020 05:53

First rock concert I ever went to was a glam rock band called Angel at the Santa Monica Civic in '76 when I was 13, and it was free as some sort of promotional gimmick for the band - Angel
Musically it wasn't very good at all to be honest, but being at a live concert and the overall vibe was infectious. The next was Blue Oyster Cult, and it was a thousand times better! "Don't Fear the Reaper...la,la,la,la,la..." more cowbell!

As for Styx, Foreigner, Kansas, Journey, etc., never owned any of their albums, and was never really a fan aside from the '70's radio hits maybe, hence the reason I never bothered to see any of them live.
I did like Boston and bought their first album when released (More than a Feeling smiling smiley ), but never bothered to see them. Never liked Springsteen at all except some early radio hits, and still would never pay a dime to see him.
Liked Seger a bit as he had many anthem-like tunes on the radio, but he seemed a bit tame and never bothered to see him. Almost wanted to see him last year and the year before when he toured, but alas it never happened.

Meanwhile, waiting for the Stones announcement, along with some more Neil Young shows. thumbs up

Date: January 19, 2020 06:24

Hairball
First rock concert I ever went to was a glam rock band called Angel at the Santa Monica Civic in '76 when I was 13, and it was free as some sort of promotional gimmick for the band - Angel
Musically it wasn't very good at all to be honest, but being at a live concert and the overall vibe was infectious. The next was Blue Oyster Cult, and it was a thousand times better! "Don't Fear the Reaper...la,la,la,la,la..." more cowbell!

As for Styx, Foreigner, Kansas, Journey, etc., never owned any of their albums, and was never really a fan aside from the '70's radio hits maybe, hence the reason I never bothered to see any of them live.
I did like Boston and bought their first album when released (More than a Feeling smiling smiley ), but never bothered to see them. Never liked Springsteen at all except some early radio hits, and still would never pay a dime to see him.
Liked Seger a bit as he had many anthem-like tunes on the radio, but he seemed a bit tame and never bothered to see him. Almost wanted to see him last year and the year before when he toured, but alas it never happened.

Meanwhile, waiting for the Stones announcement, along with some more Neil Young shows. thumbs up

my favorite part of angel was the giant hologram thingy. after band left it was literally saying "there's tshirts in the lobby". hahahahahaha oh & they had a band called the godz open. get it? hahahahaha smileys with beer

Date: January 19, 2020 06:36

Angel? - "Punky, punky, give me your lips to die on!" (FZ) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-19 06:37 by doitywoik.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: January 19, 2020 07:13

>First time I saw Journey there was no Steve Perry.

They were Santana band musicians who formed their own group, a mostly instrumental, rock-jazz conglomeration heavy on the organ and keyboards and percussion. I had a record called Kahoutec or whatever after the comet that was going by at the time. Then they hired a singer and decided to make hits.

jb

Date: January 19, 2020 07:30

doitywoik
Angel? - "Punky, punky, give me your lips to die on!" (FZ) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I saw Frank Zappa at the Santa Monica Civic, 1980!
Right across the street from Santa Monica High School where I was a student - a few other shows I attended at the Civic late '70's - early '80's :

Jethro Tull
Johnny Winter
The Clash
Bob Dylan
Devo
Robin Trower
Chuck Berry
X
Ted Nugent
URGH! A Music War (two consecutive nights) ft: The Cramps, Dead Kennedys, X, Pere Ubu, Dead Boys, Wall of Voodoo, and a couple others.
Finally, my friend had tickets for us to see Joe Perry there, but I was denied entrance when they found some weed on me lol.
The security jerks used to actually pat you down and go through your pockets- the bastards should have let me in! @#$@%!!!winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-19 07:32 by Hairball.

Date: January 19, 2020 09:27

Hairball
doitywoik

Right across the street from Santa Monica High School where I was a student - a few other shows I attended at the Civic late '70's - early '80's :

Jethro Tull
Johnny Winter
The Clash
Bob Dylan
Devo
Robin Trower
Chuck Berry
X
Ted Nugent
URGH! A Music War (two consecutive nights) ft: The Cramps, Dead Kennedys, X, Pere Ubu, Dead Boys, Wall of Voodoo, and a couple others.
Finally, my friend had tickets for us to see Joe Perry there, but I was denied entrance when they found some weed on me lol.
The security jerks used to actually pat you down and go through your pockets- the bastards should have let me in! @#$@%!!!winking smiley

most likely i was at that robin trower show at the civic. smiling smiley

Date: January 19, 2020 09:46

crholmstrom

Victims of the Fury Tour - 1980.
Here's a not so great sounding boot, but you can still hear him shred!

Date: January 19, 2020 12:08

Hairball
crholmstrom

Victims of the Fury Tour - 1980.
Here's a not so great sounding boot, but you can still hear him shred!

that's the one i was at! i was going to pepperdine with no car some of the time, so going to a concert was a sort of rare treat being a broke student. i did manage to make it to a few, most notably "the wall". i also saw the police at the sports arena right when they were exploding with zenyada mondatta. it was like beatlemania.

Date: January 19, 2020 18:59

Hairball
doitywoik

Zappa was the only one I saw sort of frequently because he was around every other year and the tickets were affordable. First in 1978 when touring Sheik Yerbouti, the last time in 1988. Unfortunately I never saw the outfit with Ponty or the Roxy or One Size band (in fact I did see them but only on TV). These were great. The later bands all sounded more or less the same and were good but not great.

OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 11, 2020 19:18

Date: February 11, 2020 20:17

Neils back!!!!!

Date: February 23, 2020 19:27

looks like Neil is saddling up the Horse again:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: February 23, 2020 19:52

crholmstrom
looks like Neil is saddling up the Horse again:

[www.rollingstone.com]

smiling smiley

Posted by: bam ()
Date: February 23, 2020 20:33

I wonder if this is because Springsteen put out word that he's not touring this year. This may have freed up Nils Lofgren to tour with Young.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: February 23, 2020 23:49

bam
I wonder if this is because Springsteen put out word that he's not touring this year. This may have freed up Nils Lofgren to tour with Young.

This is exactly what happened. And I’m psyched. After hitting every Stones tour since ‘78 I can’t get excited to go this year and see the same show....Neil your sounds more fun.

Date: February 24, 2020 00:47

Any clue what an old arena might be. Kemper arena Kansas City ? Caines ballroom Tulsa ? I wonder what size venue Neil Young and Crazy Horse will play in on a full blown tour ?

OT: Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Date: February 24, 2020 01:50

Neil Young Archives has taken down today's Crazy Horse Barn Tour post.

[neilyoungarchives.com]

Re: OT: Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: February 24, 2020 02:21

bye bye johnny

[neilyoungarchives.com]

It's still up

Date: February 24, 2020 02:32

404 - Oh no's! We couldn't find that page

[neilyoungarchives.com]

Date: February 24, 2020 02:47

daspyknows
bye bye johnny

[neilyoungarchives.com]

It's still up

thumbs up

Front page headline news on the Times Contrarian:
Extra, extra, read all about it...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 24, 2020 03:53

I guess Detroit's out. We tore down all our old arenas.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: February 24, 2020 08:53

PNE Coliseum in Vancouver BC still hosts concerts, although somewhat infrequently.

Much history in that arena, including Led Zeppelin, The Stones in '72, The Faces, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, Nirvana, and just about every other great classic rock band.

Looking good for Neil & CH there in the spring. Caught 4 Neil shows last year (2 acoustic in Vancouver and 2 with POTR in Seattle). Bring it on!

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: February 24, 2020 11:03

I didn’t see the San Diego Sports Arena (now called Pechanga Arena) on the list of existing older arenas.
Neil & Crazy Horse played there before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-24 11:04 by likecats.

Date: February 24, 2020 12:40

Sadly, the Seattle Coliseum has been gutted with only the roof remaining. They are putting in a new, high tech corporate facility under the roof by digging down. It was a big political thing in Seattle. They could've left it alone & had an offer to build a new facility by a hedge fund billionaire in the stadium district. The whole thing was a huge cluster & big money went down in the right (wrong) places. I've seen the Horse in the Portland Coliseum on the Ragged Glory tour & might make the trip, depending health & cost. I saw a few shows on that tour with Sonic Youth opening & it was awesome. Hippies were running out of the arena area whilst Sonic Youth were banging on their guitars with screwdrivers during Xpressway to Your Skull in Portland, haha. Truth be told, Crazy Horse were just as loud!

Posted by: superglen ()
Date: February 24, 2020 12:46

bam

of course, Springsteen had never announced a 2020 ESB tour; it was just random quotes from interviews "on the fly"; it looked like "wishful thinking" on his part.

Now, he's not "cancellled" this never-announced tour; rumours just imply that he's not touring until late 2020.
One rumoured "plan" was to release the new ESB record in June and then start touring from Europe in July. now it's more likely that the record (currently in the recording stage) might be released in the fall.

so of course Nils could tour with CH in spring/summer and then with ESB in the fall.

let's wait and see.

Date: February 24, 2020 19:16

likecats
I didn’t see the San Diego Sports Arena (now called Pechanga Arena) on the list of existing older arenas.
Neil & Crazy Horse played there before.

I saw the Stones there in 2002 during Licks, and it might have been the smallest of all the basketball arenas they played that tour.
MGM Arena in Vegas is also not listed - hope they play there as it's much better (and smaller) than the sterile new T-Mobile arena.
The L.A. Forum and Long Beach Arena are at the top of my wish list though being closest to home- many memories of seeing concerts at both.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 24, 2020 19:33

C'mon Neil...come to Hartford or Worcester!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 24, 2020 19:36

I'd make the trip for this to either Vancouver or Portland, seeing the Seattle Coliseum is no more.
Many great shows seen at the old PNE Coliseum, some I even remember..

Have never been to a show at the Cow Palace in SF, but would like to cool smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home