Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 49
OT: Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 4, 2019 22:27

Neil Young and Crazy Horse are Back with a New Album, Documentary

Rock legend talks to AARP about his new release, 'Colorado,' his legacy and never fading away

by Edna Gundersen

DH LOVELIFE

[www.aarp.org]

Re: OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 5, 2019 00:39

Thanks bye bye johnny, lot's of topics covered there.

"Crosby should write an introspective book: Why People Won't Talk to Me Anymore".

Lol.............

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: November 5, 2019 00:58

Is he right about Amazon? Leading the high-res game and being the best?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 5, 2019 01:17

eeeeerrr well he said he was right about Pono … but anyway ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: November 5, 2019 18:07

jumpontopofmebaby
It is amazing that Neil still puts out as much music as he does. Is it possible he puts out too much? Maybe do less albums and be more selective of the songs?

Maybe not necessarily put out less albums but not always release right the first take ever recorded of the first sketch of a song. Also I feel like (minimally from the 90s on) some songs could as well have remained unreleased without causing major damage to mankind but as always, one man's gem is another man's turd, so possibly a matter of taste. As for Colorado, I think a bit more work on the/some songs wouldn't have hurt.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 5, 2019 18:18

Its his blessing and his curse. At this point I've just accepted it because he already has such an amazing catalogue that there's nothing he could do now that'll change that, and there's still enough he puts out that I enjoy. But yeah, much of it could be changed. I'd rather too much than too little though, especially when some of it is still pretty good.

Re: OT: the new Neil Young album
Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 8, 2019 05:11

Hairball
Maindefender
Hairball
Maindefender
I still love Psychedelic Pill, and find Colorado a cut below. Not sure how much not having Frank Sampedro on board plus the loss of Young's longtime manager had an effect. That being said need to give more listens, it will not collect dust like A Bigger Bang for example.

Agree with all of this.

The first two minutes of Psychedelic Pill's 27+ minute of Driftin' Back - when it transforms from acoustic to full blown electric - is enough to make that entire album a classic imo.
And no, the new Neil will never collect dust the same way A Bigger Bang does, but will it hold up as much as Crosseyed Heart did? Depends on who you ask I guess.
Like Crosseyed Heart, there's bound to be a division amongst fans - those who love it and always have, and those who don't and never will.

I have to hold them up differently artistically.Need to listen to Colorado more
Colorado vs. Crosseyed Heart:
I like Neil's vocals over Keith's

Yeah, completely different for a variety of reasons, was just using it as an example of staying power.
BUT...having only had the new Neil for two days, and probably listened a half dozen times so far start to finish, I can say undoubtedly it is a keeper.
The same way Crosseyed Heart represents late summer of 2015 in my mind, this new Neil will represent the early Fall of '19 - there's some catchy stuff w/echoes of prime Neil/Crazy Horse sprinkled throughout.
One noticeable misfire is the length of She Showed Me Love at 13+minutes. Killer song musically (the lyrics maybe not so much), but after the half way point it sort of meanders aimlessly with no real goal,
then sort of just fizzles out. Keep expecting/waiting/hoping for a payoff with band kicking it back up a notch, and it tries to at the last minute, but overall it sort of dissolves.
The other lowpoint, though I'm starting to like it a bit more within the context of the album, is Rainbow of Colors.
Love the opening track Think of Me with it's harmonica and country vibe - "I'm gonna live long and I'm happy to report it back to you...".
Starting to love Olden Days - "Where did all the people go...why did they fade away from me?" Love the heavy duty Help Me Lose My Mind (even Neils shouting/singing) as well as Shut it Down (more shouting) and Milky Way,
I like the mellow Eternity alot, while the even mellower Green is Blue is probably my favorite at the moment. Last song I Do is a bit too mellow - almost like a whispering lullaby, but I suppose it's a nice way to end the album.
Overall damn happy to have some new Neil, and before we know it he'll release another one! Now looking forward to the new Who which will undoubtedly represent the late fall/early winter of 2019. thumbs up

From the perspective of Nils Lofgrin which adds an extra layer of meaning to the new album:

Nils Lofgren Says ’Colorado’ Was Therapeutic for Neil Young

Neil+CrazyHorse=Colorado

Crazy Horse guitarist Nils Lofgren said the making of Colorado, their new album with Neil Young, was a therapeutic experience for the band leader.

It was recorded after a period in which Young lost his home to a forest fire, his ex-wife Pegi died and he’d dealt with some health issues.

“I love Pegi, I love Neil, I have such a long history with them,” Lofgren told Uncut in a recent interview. “Just such a heartbreaking thing. And all the stuff he’s gone through with his own health, that I just felt that he wanted to play it all – he kept going out and singing and letting the music, which I believe is the planet’s sacred weapon, work through him and help him and his family.”

He added the experience was also good for himself and his bandmates, noting, “We get older, we all got stuff going on. It was very therapeutic and healing – the ragged inspiration of it, playing with old friends and creating something new. It won’t bring anyone back, but it reminds you their spirits are with you and they want you to carry on.”

Lofgren said he wasn't aware of speculation that Colorado started out as a Young solo album, though he recalled playing some of the songs on tour last year. “I remember how ‘Green Is Blue’ deeply affected me,” he recalled. “I didn’t realize I’d be recording it with Crazy Horse months later!”

When the band completed the sessions, which are detailed in the new documentary movie Mountaintop, there were plans for further recordings, but, Lofgren said, "when we left, we all felt really good about it. Neil was off to Europe to play festival shows with Promise of the Real. He thought maybe we’d get back together in August and do some more recording. Then, as the weeks went by, he did some serious listening and figured he had a record he felt great about already. We didn’t need to keep going at it.”

Okay a week later my appreciation for this album has grown. What I love is Neil still has hippy dreams, plus there are some beautiful ballads.(Green is Blue, Eternity and I Do). Pretty mellow vibes. Shut it Down would fit nicely on a Pixies album. A keeper...>grinning smiley<

Date: November 12, 2019 16:03

Happy Birthday Mr Young

LONG MAY YOU RUN

Date: December 2, 2019 20:18

Neil Young Asks Fans to Select His Next Archival Release

He’s outlined 29 separate projects that are “in the can,” including several unreleased studio LPs and live albums.

NEIL

Neil Young has an ambitious plan to flood his Neil Young Archives website with unreleased albums and concert recordings in 2020 — and he’s asking his fans to help him sort through his vast archive to figure out which projects to prioritize. In a post on the website, Young outlines 29 possible releases.

“We have these projects in the can right now,” he writes. “We will be asking subscribers only to vote for their top three choices from this list…Watch for the official NYA announcement and your personal link to vote for what you think we should work on next for the fastest release of your favorite projects.”

Here is a breakdown of every project Young lists on his site.

Stratford Shakespeare Theater Solo Performance, 1971
A concert shot at the Shakespeare Theater in Stratford, Connecticut, on January 22nd, 1971.

Greendale Live With Crazy Horse, 2003
A film shot on Young’s 2003 tour with Crazy Horse where they performed the rock opera Greendale in its entirety.

Greendale Live at Vicar Street Solo, 2003
A solo acoustic performance of Greendale taped at a Dublin, Ireland, show in May 2003.

Toast, Unreleased Crazy Horse LP, 2001
An unreleased album that Young recorded with Crazy Horse in 2001.

Mountaintop, 2019
A film chronicling the creation of his newest album, Colorado.

Catalyst, 1990
A rehearsal gig for Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s 1991 Ragged Glory tour at a Santa Cruz, California, club on November 13th, 1990.

Alchemy, 2012/2013
A film documenting Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s Alchemy world tour of 2012/2013.

Early Daze, 1960s
Various songs that Neil Young recorded with Crazy Horse shortly after the group first came together.

Harvest Time With Stray Gators, 1971
Footage shot with the Stray Gators during the creation of Harvest.

Mirror Ball, Dublin 1995
A show that Young played with Pearl Jam at Dublin’s RDS Simmonscourt on August 26th, 1995.

Desert Trip, 2016
Footage shot at Desert Trip with Promise of the Real in October 2016.

Monsanto Years, 2014.
A behind-the-scenes look at Young’s Monsanto Years, which was recorded with Promise of the Real at Teatro in Oxnard, California.

Trunk Show, 2009
A Jonathan Demme-directed concert film taped at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, in December 2019.

Lincvolt Chronicles 1-5
An in-depth look at Young’s attempt to turn his 1959 Lincoln Continental into a hybrid electric vehicle.

Tower Theater Philadelphia Solo, 2018
A solo acoustic concert taped at the Tower Theater in the fall of 2018 featuring numerous rarely performed songs.

Polar Vortex, 2019
A series of acoustic concerts Young played in Wisconsin and Minnesota while a polar vortex froze that region of the country in January 2019.

Homegrown, 1975
A finished LP that Young shelved in 1975 in favor of releasing Tonight’s the Night.

Chrome Dreams, 1977
Another album that Young recorded in the Seventies and ultimately abandoned.

Berlin Trans Band, 1982
A concert film directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg in October 1982 on the Trans tour.

Oceanside Countryside, 1976-1977
Yet another unreleased album from the Seventies featuring many songs that wound up on later albums, including “Comes a Time” and “My My, Hey Hey (Out of the Blue).”

Boarding House Solo, 1978
A series of low-key acoustic gigs that Young played at the tiny Boarding House club in May 1978 where he debuted many songs that later appeared on Rust Never Sleeps.

Island In The Sun, 1982
An album that Young recorded shortly before Trans featuring songs that would trickle out over the years, like “Soul of a Woman “and “Like an Inca.”

Trans, 2020
For the past few years, Micah Nelson has been creating an animated movie inspired by Trans.

Bottom Live Solo, 1974
A legendary bootleg recorded during Young’s surprise appearance at New York’s Bottom Line on May 16th, 1974.

Over The Rainbow Live: Tonight’s The Night, 1973
A Tonight’s the Night-era concert recording from London’s Rainbow Theater on November 5th, 1973.

Odeon Budokan, 1976
Concert footage shot during Neil Young and Crazy Horse’s Zuma tour in London and Japan.

Ducks Live in Santa Cruz, 1977
A live album from Young’s unannounced 1977 club tour with the Ducks.

Homefires, 1974
Not much known is about these recordings from 1974, but it’s named after a song he’s played live many times since 1974 but has yet to release.

CSNY at Fillmore East, 1970
A Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young concert taped at New York’s Fillmore East during the height of their success in 1970.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2019 00:04

"Toast, Unreleased Crazy Horse LP, 2001
An unreleased album that Young recorded with Crazy Horse in 2001". thumbs up

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: December 3, 2019 19:03

Berlin Trans Band, 1982
A concert film directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg in October 1982 on the Trans tour.

That was officially released on DVD years ago.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: December 3, 2019 19:23

Looking forward to more live shows in 2020

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 3, 2019 19:35

Stratford Shakespeare Theater Solo Performance, 1971
A concert shot at the Shakespeare Theater in Stratford, Connecticut, on January 22nd, 1971.

Mirror Ball, Dublin 1995
A show that Young played with Pearl Jam at Dublin’s RDS Simmonscourt on August 26th, 1995.

Trunk Show, 2009
A Jonathan Demme-directed concert film taped at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, in December 2019.

Tower Theater Philadelphia Solo, 2018
A solo acoustic concert taped at the Tower Theater in the fall of 2018 featuring numerous rarely performed songs.

Polar Vortex, 2019
A series of acoustic concerts Young played in Wisconsin and Minnesota while a polar vortex froze that region of the country in January 2019.

Bottom Live Solo, 1974
A legendary bootleg recorded during Young’s surprise appearance at New York’s Bottom Line on May 16th, 1974.

CSNY at Fillmore East, 1970
A Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young concert taped at New York’s Fillmore East during the height of their success in 1970.

I'd probably want one of those, but there's a million great options.

Date: December 3, 2019 20:44

Where are you NEIL!!!!!!!

We need some shows!

Date: January 1, 2020 19:27

smiling smiley

(found on facebook)

Date: January 2, 2020 19:57

Hairball
smiling smiley

(found on facebook)

Hope it is!

OT: Neil Young
Date: January 2, 2020 20:45

A MESSAGE FROM NEIL

photo: Michael Miller

[neilyoungarchives.com]

Date: January 2, 2020 20:50

A Greendale live album? Could be interesting! smiling smiley

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: January 2, 2020 23:00

I clicked on that link. Takes me to his home page but can't do anything there.

Date: January 3, 2020 04:16

masseywinos
I clicked on that link. Takes me to his home page but can't do anything there.

Here's the text (=>[neilyoungarchives.com]):

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1-1-20

First of all, thanks for being here with us at the archives! We are in the midst of so many things here, restoring projects, making them ready for you to feel, view, hear and enjoy. These pieces are a labor of love. Every morning I wake up with a full plate of things to do to keep me off the street and as a result, off the road. It’s good to stop and regroup, gather energy and openness for what could be next.

We are in the midst of many projects, most notably now, ‘Way down in the Rust Bucket’ and ‘Greendale Live’. Both with Crazy Horse.

Greendale is a monster! Currently in the final editing stages, this performance from Toronto with a cast of 50 plus is like a Broadway show.

We took it all around North America in 2003, setting up that massive set over 80 times. Now we are preparing it to share through NYA and theaters. A ‘Greendale Live’ album will be part of the release. Greendale’s live music is in a big groove with Crazy Horse!

Thanks everyone! You folks are fantastic to be here with me and all of us at NYA. My heartfelt thanks to the whole team here at NYA, the NYA staff, the archives vault team, my producer partners John Hanlon and Niko Bolas, and all that have come before.

I am still missing my old friend Elliot Roberts, my incredible manager of 50 plus years.

One year now to the day since my children lost their loving mother Pegi. She lives on in our memories. Peace.

My thanks to the great team at Lookout Management, (now looking for a new name!) Frank, Bonnie and Tim, you are the best! To my US agent Marsha, Barry in Europe, much love!

Lots of love to you all for 2020, our New Year together.

I am thankful for my amazing wife Daryl, who has made my life so much better in so many ways . . .. and for my family - Zeke, Ben and Amber, and to all our friends.

Lets make 2020 a good one!
Health and Happiness everyone!
ny

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 16, 2020 23:46

Screening in Toronto on Saturday night. No other dates announced at this time.

Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: January 17, 2020 20:53

doitywoik
Would be horrible !!!!!

Date: January 17, 2020 21:52

Goin' To GREENDALE

[neilyoungarchives.com]

Date: January 18, 2020 03:04

MrMibbs
doitywoik
Would be horrible !!!!!

Haven't listened to Greendale for quite some time, but when it was new after a while I didn't find it all that bad in parts. Greendale songs played live by The Horse might well turn out Ok, me thinks.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 18, 2020 03:21

MrMibbs
doitywoik
Would be horrible !!!!!

Neil played 2 sets a night on the Greendale tour. First Greendale, then a full on Crazy Horse set. I saw a few good ones on that tour. Danger Bird in Portland! & in Vegas, the Joint was too small for the Greendale set, so it was full on Horse for close to 3 hours in a 1200 seat venue. Fairly mighty, haha.

Date: January 18, 2020 03:54

crholmstrom
MrMibbs
doitywoik
Would be horrible !!!!!

Neil played 2 sets a night on the Greendale tour. First Greendale, then a full on Crazy Horse set. I saw a few good ones on that tour. Danger Bird in Portland! & in Vegas, the Joint was too small for the Greendale set, so it was full on Horse for close to 3 hours in a 1200 seat venue. Fairly mighty, haha.

I saw the *Greendale tour at the Santa Barbara Bowl and loved it all - the quirkiness of the first set (actors and all smiling smiley), and the overwhelming barrage of classics for the second set.
Looking forward to this, and whatever else he'll be releasing from the archives this year. And no doubt there will probably be some more NEW material!

My sister and bro-in-law saw the Greendale show somewhere else in SoCal on that tour, and both were left confused by what they saw during the first set lol...I don't think they liked it much at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-18 03:56 by Hairball.

Date: January 18, 2020 08:19

Is there any show by anyone you haven't been to? eye popping smileysmileys with beer

Date: January 18, 2020 08:24

doitywoik
Is there any show by anyone you haven't been to? eye popping smileysmileys with beer

Off the top of my head, I've never seen Kansas or Journey...or Styx, or Boston, or Foreigner.
Nor Springsteen or Seger. Other than that, I've seen everybody! smileys with beer

Date: January 18, 2020 09:05

I would have loved to see Kansas in 1977 or 1978, when they toured Europe, but they never came anywhere near my place. sad smiley SoCal appears to be the better place for concerts!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 18, 2020 11:26

doitywoik
I would have loved to see Kansas in 1977 or 1978, when they toured Europe, but they never came anywhere near my place. sad smiley SoCal appears to be the better place for concerts!

I've seen all the bands Hairball mentioned. With the exception of Springsteen & Seger, mostly when I was in high school in the late 1970s. I saw Seger later & Bruce several times starting in 1978. I was sort of lukewarm/hit or miss with him after 1981 when he got super popular but was pleasantly surprised by the show on the River tour a few years ago. It was killer & he played over 3.5 hours, mostly good stuff. First time I saw Journey there was no Steve Perry. They opened for the real Lynyrd Skynyrd. I thought they were better back in those days. I saw Kansas a few times, most notably opening for the Stones (along with Eddie Money & Peter Tosh) in Boulder, CO in 1978. My first Stones show! Styx, Foreigner & Boston were all kind of blah, popular at the time. Saw them once, never went back.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2324252627282930313233...LastNext
Current Page: 28 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home