Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: LazarusSmith ()
Date: May 11, 2019 00:40

dcba
LazarusSmith

Anyways, here's a link to the transcript and the podcast
[cocaineandrhinestones.com]

Thx, best thing I read this week! thumbs up

Glad you liked it! Made me go back and listen to On the Beach a couple of times ... man, "Ambulance Blues," what a @#$%& tune.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 11, 2019 10:40

I have a slight preference for "Revolution Blues" myself. And it was quite bold to tell the story of the Manson "family" for from a "1st person" pov.

Methinks Neil got the idea from Midnight Rambler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-11 23:09 by dcba.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 11, 2019 11:40

dcba
I have a slight preference for "Revolution Blues" myself. And it was quite bold to tell the story of the Manson "family" for a "1st person" pov.

Methinks Neil got the idea from Midnight Rambler.

& honey sliders

OT: Neil Young
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 17, 2019 23:29

Neil marked the 50th anniversary of "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" and also revealed the title of the upcoming album with Crazy Horse - "Pink Moon"

[neilyoungarchives.com]

Re: OT: Neil Young
Date: May 23, 2019 01:26

Neil show I saw last night. It was very good, probably middle of the pack as far as Neil shows I've seen. Neil was very engaged & appeared to be having fun. Most of the time you're going to get new material with Neil & the new stuff was for the most part ok. Maybe a little too much of it. Enjoyed the songs Willie's boys did. Neil played on those & there was some good guitar. If I had to give a grade, I'd say a solid B. Down by the River was stellar!

2019-05-21, Paramount Theatre, Seattle, Washington, USA
w/ Promise Of The Real
1. After The Gold Rush
2. Green Is Blue
3. (Think Of Me)
4. Heart Of Gold
5. Olden Days
6. Comes A Time
7. Mother Earth (Natural Anthem)
8. Human Highway
9. Unknown Legend
10. Alabama
11. Words
12. Turn Off The News (vocals by Lukas Nelson)
13. Everything Is Bullshit (vocals by Micah Nelson)
14. Down By The River
15. Country Home
16. Rainbow Of Colors
17. (She Showed Me Love)
18. Rockin' In The Free World
19. Happy Birthday
---
20. Roll Another Number
---
21. (Right By Her Side)

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 23, 2019 04:24

I went both nights and Monday was easily the best of the two. More intense, focused and longer jamming than Tuesday. Also slightly better set list, with 'Winterlong', 'Walk On', 'Powderfinger', and 'Love and Only Love' offered up.

The Paramount is a gorgeous theater and the sound was quite good from where I was (farther back on the floor).

Neither show lived up to the epic, almost-3-hour one at the Wamu in 2015, nor the intense Desert Trip (wknd 2) of 2016.

Still, Neil puts out and POTR is right there with him at every turn.

Date: May 23, 2019 06:24

mosthigh
I went both nights and Monday was easily the best of the two. More intense, focused and longer jamming than Tuesday. Also slightly better set list, with 'Winterlong', 'Walk On', 'Powderfinger', and 'Love and Only Love' offered up.

The Paramount is a gorgeous theater and the sound was quite good from where I was (farther back on the floor).

Neither show lived up to the epic, almost-3-hour one at the Wamu in 2015, nor the intense Desert Trip (wknd 2) of 2016.

I was at the WAMU show, too. That was an amazing one. I've seen Neil a real lot in many guises. I saw a few shows on the Weld tour. Those were unreal good. & 1989 at the Paramount when he premiered "Rockin in the Free World". I even saw him at the Reading Festival with Pearl Jam as his backing band. POTR are great & seem to have reenergized him. I'd like to see the Horse with Nils Lofgren but probably won't get to. I thought the Psychdelic Pill show was a little tired. It had its moments. Anyway, I enjoyed last night.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: May 23, 2019 07:40

crholmstrom
Neil show I saw last night. It was very good, probably middle of the pack as far as Neil shows I've seen. Neil was very engaged & appeared to be having fun. Most of the time you're going to get new material with Neil & the new stuff was for the most part ok. Maybe a little too much of it. Enjoyed the songs Willie's boys did. Neil played on those & there was some good guitar. If I had to give a grade, I'd say a solid B. Down by the River was stellar!

w/ Promise Of The Real
1. After The Gold Rush
2. Green Is Blue
3. (Think Of Me)
4. Heart Of Gold
5. Olden Days
6. Comes A Time
8. Human Highway
9. Unknown Legend
10. Alabama
11. Words
14. Down By The River
15. Country Home
16. Rainbow Of Colors
17. (She Showed Me Love)
19. Happy Birthday
---
20. Roll Another Number
---
21. (Right By Her Side)

Got a sweet recording of this one.

Date: May 23, 2019 12:32

daspyknows
crholmstrom

w/ Promise Of The Real
1. After The Gold Rush
2. Green Is Blue
3. (Think Of Me)
4. Heart Of Gold
5. Olden Days
6. Comes A Time
8. Human Highway
9. Unknown Legend
10. Alabama
11. Words
14. Down By The River
15. Country Home
16. Rainbow Of Colors
17. (She Showed Me Love)
19. Happy Birthday
---
20. Roll Another Number
---
21. (Right By Her Side)

Got a sweet recording of this one.

nice! hope i find it winking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 24, 2019 09:54

"Neil Young + Promise Of The Real
A LIVE taste from Eugene"

Roll Another Number video (on Neil's FB page): [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 24, 2019 10:07

crholmstrom
mosthigh

I was at the WAMU show, too. That was an amazing one. I've seen Neil a real lot in many guises. I saw a few shows on the Weld tour. Those were unreal good. & 1989 at the Paramount when he premiered "Rockin in the Free World". I even saw him at the Reading Festival with Pearl Jam as his backing band. POTR are great & seem to have reenergized him. I'd like to see the Horse with Nils Lofgren but probably won't get to. I thought the Psychdelic Pill show was a little tired. It had its moments. Anyway, I enjoyed last night.

I was at that Reading Festival gig. I preferred the Finsbury Park gig with Booker T & The MGs though. Pearl Jam didn't suit Neil all that well. However, POTR do seem a good mix with Neil.

Date: May 24, 2019 12:45

tomcasagranda
crholmstrom
mosthigh

I was at that Reading Festival gig. I preferred the Finsbury Park gig with Booker T & The MGs though. Pearl Jam didn't suit Neil all that well. However, POTR do seem a good mix with Neil.

i saw 2 shows with booker t & the mgs backing neil. pearl jam opened in vancouver & the gorge in washington state. we drove to the gorge from vancouver & missed pj there. evidently there was trouble during the pj set. we walked in through the carnage to the front row. i stood right in front of steve cropper for all of neil's set. awesome!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 25, 2019 06:55

From JamBase:

Watch Neil Young & Promise Of The Real Perform ‘Cortez The Killer’ & ‘Cinnamon Girl’ In Eugene
May 24, 20199:33 am PDTScott Bernstein

Neil Young and Promise of The Real played their penultimate concert of a May Tour on Thursday night at Matthew Knight Arena in Eugene, Oregon. Young and the band unveiled seven 2019 debuts as part of their 23-song show, including classics “Cortez The Killer” and “Cinnamon Girl.”

The format for each concert has been a series of Neil Young solo songs before the band backs him for the rest of the night. Thursday’s show followed the same path and began with Neil on piano for “After The Gold Rush” and “Gold Is Blue” before he strapped on an acoustic for “Heart Of Gold” and a recently debuted tune thought to be titled “Think Of Me.” Last night’s solo segment concluded with Neil on pump organ for “Mother Earth (Natural Anthem).”

Promise Of The Real emerged for the final 18 songs of the concert. “Human Highway” opened the full-band portion of the night and was followed by the 2019 debut of “Out On The Weekend.” Neil & POTR went on to perform “Only Love Can Break Your Heart,” “Like An Inca,” “Love To Burn,” “F*ckin’ Up,” “Cortez The Killer” and “Cinnamon Girl” for the first time as a unit this year as part of the main set.

Once again, the Nelson boys each took a turn leading a song as Lukas Nelson sang “Turn Off The News (Build A Garden)” and Micah Nelson fronted “Everything Is Bullshit.” The set also featured such classics as “Alabama,” “Words,” “Winterlong” and “Rockin’ In The Free World” as well as recently debuted numbers “She Showed Me Love” and “Rainbow Of Colors.” For the encore, Young and POTR served up “Roll Another Number.” Next up for the group is a Saturday night appearance at the Bottle Rock Napa festival.

Watch fan-shot video of “Cortez” and “Cinnamon Girl” captured by Taper Jeff:

Neil Young + Promise of the Real 5/23/19 "Cortez the Killer"?"Cinnamon Girl" Matthew Knight Arena

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-25 06:55 by Hairball.

Date: May 26, 2019 21:30

Neil tore it up at Bottlerock last night. Best show of the 6 I have seen since Desert Trip in 2016. At 10PM sharp they cut PA power during Rockin in the Free World but they finished the song unplugged.

A friend also recorded Eugene so last three shows of tour have great sources.

Date: May 26, 2019 22:37

daspyknows
Neil tore it up at Bottlerock last night. Best show of the 6 I have seen since Desert Trip in 2016. At 10PM sharp they cut PA power during Rockin in the Free World but they finished the song unplugged.

A friend also recorded Eugene so last three shows of tour have great sources.

there are great recordings of the solo shows prior to the POTR run out there, too.

Date: May 27, 2019 12:46

mosthigh

yes these 2019 setlists are a bit short and disappointing compared to the 2015 extravaganzas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-27 12:48 by dcba.

Date: May 27, 2019 14:29

The desert trip weekend #2 was a great setlist and my best Neil sow so far.

Date: May 27, 2019 19:10

dcba
mosthigh

yes these 2019 setlists are a bit short and disappointing compared to the 2015 extravaganzas.

If they didn't cut power at Bottlerock Neil would have kept playing. Comparing apples to oranges.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 27, 2019 20:54

I was also at BottleRock and was blown away - Neil was in fine form!

Date: May 27, 2019 23:58

daspyknows
dcba

If they didn't cut power at Bottlerock Neil would have kept playing.

You sure? [www.sugarmtn.org]

2019 setlists seem to be a lot shorter than 2015's.

Date: May 28, 2019 00:44

dcba
daspyknows
dcba

i think eugene got the best show of this round. i went to seattle #2. it was very good. longer neil solo part & a real lot of new material. some of it was pretty good, listening to the tape. we'll see when its released. i really enjoyed the Lukas & Micah Nelson songs. the show was right about 2 hours. in 2015, they played at least 2 hours & 45 minutes. Neil is getting older & it was pretty high energy during the rocking part. i was happy with it. there was an opening act, guy with a guitar. he was ok but i could've lived without it.

Date: May 28, 2019 00:50

dcba
daspyknows
dcba

There would have at least been an encore. He would have kept playing. I was there.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: May 28, 2019 00:59

I haven't seen Neil live in almost a decade.

Is he going to be playing anywhere in the Northeast in 2019?

I need to see him. The setlists the past couple years have been fantastic.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 28, 2019 01:00

Been listening to the new tune "Think of Me" and think it's already a classic.
Good to see Neil continue to play new and unreleased material - can't think of many other artists who are willing to push the envelope.

_________________________________________________________________________________

As for BottleRock, wish I could have been there! thumbs up

Review via DATEBOOK:

Neil Young gets cut off during headlining set at BottleRock 2019
The 73-year-old Canadian rocker broke the festival's strict curfew
Aidin Vaziri May 25, 2019 Updated: May 27, 2019, 1:19 am

Neil

Neil Young does things his way, and he proved that yet again at BottleRock Napa Valley during his headlining set on the second day of the festival Saturday, May 25.

The 73-year-old Canadian rocker played his signature finale, “Rockin’ in the Free World,” straight through the concert’s strict 10 p.m. curfew, forcing the promoters to pull the plug on this set. That adds Young to the list of artists to buck the Napa festival’s mandatory time limit, which includes the Foo Fighters, who were shut down for playing too long in 2017, and the Cure, who broke curfew in 2014.

Located in a residential area, with houses that face the main stage, the curfew at the Expo was set when neighbors complained about the noise after BottleRock’s inaugural year in 2013.

While officials promptly turned off the speakers and video screens on the main JaM Cellars Stage on the Napa Valley Expo grounds, Young and and his band Promise of the Real kept playing as the crowd jumped in and started chanting the chorus, “Keep on rockin’ in the free world/ Keep on rockin’ in the free world.”

The set marked Young’s first concert appearance in Northern California since the last Bridge School Benefit Concert at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View in 2016.

Young, who is an unpredictable performer under the best circumstances, was in a surprisingly genial mood before the finale, joking around with the crowd and even serving up a set loaded with fan favorites such as “Harvest Moon,” “Heart of Gold” and “Like a Hurricane.”

It was hard to tell which way the concert was going to go when he took the stage at 8:30 p.m. amid a squall of feedback and winding 15-minute rendition of “Love and Only Love,” from 1990’s “Ragged Glory,” burning up a chunk of his allotted set time right off the top.

Wearing a knit cap, black jeans and flannel shirt over a Winnipeg tourist T-shirt, he barely acknowledged the crowd in the tightly packed field as Promise of the Real, led by Lukas Nelson (the inspiration for Bradley Cooper’s character in “A Star is Born” and Willie Nelson’s son), peeled off chunky guitar riffs on “Mansion on the Hill,” also from “Ragged Glory,” and the freshly poignant “Alabama” (sample lyric: “Alabama, you got the weight on your shoulders that’s breaking your back”), from 1972’s “Harvest.”

Midway through his set, however, Young seemed to relax, teasing the audience that his set was sponsored by “water,” taking a huge gulp out of a mason jar. “This is great stuff,” he said. “We’ll be back with more messages, thank you.”

He sent a ripple of excitement through the audience with the opening acoustic chords of 1993’s “Harvest Moon,” written for his ex-wife Pegi, who died of cancer in January.

From there, he went into pure crowd-pleasing mode, powering through “Don’t Let It Bring You Down,” from 1970’s “After the Gold Rush,” and a new song, “She Showed Me Love.”

With his vintage tour bus revving behind the stage, blinkers on, Young and the band fired up “Rockin’ in the Free World” close to 9:50 p.m. and rode it through crests and waves, layering on various solos and sonic detours until they triumphantly came up against closing time and let the fans take the song home.

As Young famously sang in his 1979 song “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black),” it’s better to burn out than to fade away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-28 01:01 by Hairball.

Date: May 28, 2019 01:37

Hairball
Been listening to the new tune "Think of Me" and think it's already a classic.
Good to see Neil continue to play new and unreleased material - can't think of many other artists who are willing to push the envelope.

_________________________________________________________________________________

As for BottleRock, wish I could have been there! thumbs up

Review via DATEBOOK:

Neil Young gets cut off during headlining set at BottleRock 2019
The 73-year-old Canadian rocker broke the festival's strict curfew
Aidin Vaziri May 25, 2019 Updated: May 27, 2019, 1:19 am

Neil

Neil Young does things his way, and he proved that yet again at BottleRock Napa Valley during his headlining set on the second day of the festival Saturday, May 25.

The 73-year-old Canadian rocker played his signature finale, “Rockin’ in the Free World,” straight through the concert’s strict 10 p.m. curfew, forcing the promoters to pull the plug on this set. That adds Young to the list of artists to buck the Napa festival’s mandatory time limit, which includes the Foo Fighters, who were shut down for playing too long in 2017, and the Cure, who broke curfew in 2014.

Located in a residential area, with houses that face the main stage, the curfew at the Expo was set when neighbors complained about the noise after BottleRock’s inaugural year in 2013.

While officials promptly turned off the speakers and video screens on the main JaM Cellars Stage on the Napa Valley Expo grounds, Young and and his band Promise of the Real kept playing as the crowd jumped in and started chanting the chorus, “Keep on rockin’ in the free world/ Keep on rockin’ in the free world.”

The set marked Young’s first concert appearance in Northern California since the last Bridge School Benefit Concert at Shoreline Amphitheatre in Mountain View in 2016.

Young, who is an unpredictable performer under the best circumstances, was in a surprisingly genial mood before the finale, joking around with the crowd and even serving up a set loaded with fan favorites such as “Harvest Moon,” “Heart of Gold” and “Like a Hurricane.”

It was hard to tell which way the concert was going to go when he took the stage at 8:30 p.m. amid a squall of feedback and winding 15-minute rendition of “Love and Only Love,” from 1990’s “Ragged Glory,” burning up a chunk of his allotted set time right off the top.

Wearing a knit cap, black jeans and flannel shirt over a Winnipeg tourist T-shirt, he barely acknowledged the crowd in the tightly packed field as Promise of the Real, led by Lukas Nelson (the inspiration for Bradley Cooper’s character in “A Star is Born” and Willie Nelson’s son), peeled off chunky guitar riffs on “Mansion on the Hill,” also from “Ragged Glory,” and the freshly poignant “Alabama” (sample lyric: “Alabama, you got the weight on your shoulders that’s breaking your back”), from 1972’s “Harvest.”

Midway through his set, however, Young seemed to relax, teasing the audience that his set was sponsored by “water,” taking a huge gulp out of a mason jar. “This is great stuff,” he said. “We’ll be back with more messages, thank you.”

He sent a ripple of excitement through the audience with the opening acoustic chords of 1993’s “Harvest Moon,” written for his ex-wife Pegi, who died of cancer in January.

From there, he went into pure crowd-pleasing mode, powering through “Don’t Let It Bring You Down,” from 1970’s “After the Gold Rush,” and a new song, “She Showed Me Love.”

With his vintage tour bus revving behind the stage, blinkers on, Young and the band fired up “Rockin’ in the Free World” close to 9:50 p.m. and rode it through crests and waves, layering on various solos and sonic detours until they triumphantly came up against closing time and let the fans take the song home.

As Young famously sang in his 1979 song “Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black),” it’s better to burn out than to fade away.

I have seen Neil 6 times since Desert Trip and this was the best of the bunch. I thought the screens were still on but then I was close enough that I mostly watched the stage.

New Barbarians- Neil Young
Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: May 31, 2019 15:20

Not sure how to post images here but below is a response from Neil Young as I emailed him a question regarding his naming and joining the TNB's.

Re: New Barbarians- Neil Young
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 31, 2019 15:49

Your link is not to an image but to a website.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 31, 2019 15:54

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: May 31, 2019 16:57

If I understand correctly Neil and Keith played together but not as New Barbarians ?

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 1, 2019 00:38

photo : Lynn Goldsmith '86

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627...LastNext
Current Page: 22 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1647
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home