Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: July 11, 2018 02:00

saw the chicago shows and it's ridiculous to say neil's current solo shows have an agenda. really wanted to see a noisy promise of the real show with a 28 minute "like an inca". but it became obvious that neil did his shows with crazy horse because he wanted to play crazy horse songs. did his promise of the real because he wanted to do other loud rock n roll songs and did the solo shows because he wanted to sing these songs and an acoustic show was the best style show.

was not in detroit but the people calling out during both shows were few and far between and after three songs had been shouted out mid-show neil joked that "man, you guys are gonna be disappointed."

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 11, 2018 14:56

How have people not realized yet that you take a gamble going to Neil shows and you shouldn't shout out any requests? You're never gonna change his mind. He has a plan and he's gonna stick to it. And more often than not, thats still a fantastic show, its just not the one you may have wanted at the time. But you should know that going in.

Date: July 11, 2018 16:50

it's not just neil. shouting out requests never changes the artist's mind. they all have plans. it's actually quite disrespectful to the artist. and shouting out for @#$%& "freebird" should cause immediate expulsion.

Date: July 27, 2018 18:31

Hey Hairball

Do you have any new scoop on a possible Neil Young / POTR tour

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 27, 2018 19:10

jumpontopofmebaby
Hey Hairball

I know of nothing yet, but occasionally check a couple of Neil Young fan facebook pages to see if any rumours have started.
The only things being talked about are the upcoming Farm Aid and the Outlaw Music Festival in September.
Will keep my ear to the ground and if I hear any rumblings will post here, and you do likewise. thumbs up

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 27, 2018 19:42

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby
Hey Hairball

I know of nothing yet, but occasionally check a couple of Neil Young fan facebook pages to see if any rumours have started.
The only things being talked about are the upcoming Farm Aid and the Outlaw Music Festival in September.
Will keep my ear to the ground and if I hear any rumblings will post here, and you do likewise. thumbs up
Can't wait for Farm Aid! It will be my first time seeing Neil...so lucky they're holding it in Hartford this year.

Date: July 27, 2018 19:49

keefriff99
Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby
Hey Hairball

Can't wait for Farm Aid! It will be my first time seeing Neil...so lucky they're holding it in Hartford this year.

Nice keefriff99, enjoy the show!
And as with last year, I'll be tuning in to the live stream!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 27, 2018 19:54

Not a Neil fan but I saw Lucas a few times opening for his dad.you guys are gonna be surprised how good he is if you’ve never seen him play.
I figured he got the gig only because he's Willies kid,that lasted about half way through the first song.

Date: July 27, 2018 20:07

I was skeptical the first time I saw the young Promise of the Real as Neil's backing band several years ago, but that was soon put to rest and have happily seen them several times since. While Lucas is no slouch by any means, it's Willie's other son Micah that seems to the most talented of the two (playing various guitars, keyboards, etc). And the bass player - whoever he is - is fully of energy and has a great stage presence leaping and bouncing around. All in all, they make for a great backing band and bring the energy level up a few notches for old Neil to feed off of.

Date: July 27, 2018 21:12

Hairball
keefriff99
Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby
Hey Hairball

Nice keefriff99, enjoy the show!
And as with last year, I'll be tuning in to the live stream!
Any idea what kind of a set to expect from Neil at Farm Aid, or who will be joining him onstage?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: July 27, 2018 21:21

Would guess Neil will play with POTR. He played with them at Farm Aid last year, and he's playing with them the day after Farm Aid at Willie's Outlaw Music Festival in Saratoga NY.

Date: July 27, 2018 23:23

Hairball
jumpontopofmebaby
Hey Hairball

Will do

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 28, 2018 09:07

Would love to see him doing these acoustic shows in NYC. At the same prices they were in other states this year. Last time he did acoustic in NYC it was a fortune. Hard to tell whether he's gonna do more of those or more POTR instead. Or hey, more Crazy Horse!

Date: July 30, 2018 20:34

Just received notification that the Outlaw Music Festival will be coming to the Hollywood Bowl, L.A. in October, and while there's no mention of Neil being there (as of yet anyways),
it does sort of gel with what I was told about Neil and Promise of the Real playing the Santa Barbara Bowl in October, and the possibility of a full tour to follow.

Hollywood Bowl lineup:
Willie Nelson & Family, Phil Lesh & Friends, Sturgill Simpson, Margo Price, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, Particle Kid

On sale August 04, 2018

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: July 30, 2018 20:54

Hairball
I was skeptical the first time I saw the young Promise of the Real as Neil's backing band several years ago, but that was soon put to rest and have happily seen them several times since. While Lucas is no slouch by any means, it's Willie's other son Micah that seems to the most talented of the two (playing various guitars, keyboards, etc). And the bass player - whoever he is - is fully of energy and has a great stage presence leaping and bouncing around. All in all, they make for a great backing band and bring the energy level up a few notches for old Neil to feed off of.

I’m not sure Lucas was calling his band promise of the real when I saw him open for Willie but he was damn good.Micah wasnt with Lucas yet but he did come out and play bass when the two boys did a couple songs with Willie.
Their sister Paula opened with a half an hour set that was also great and the lady who plays the grand piano in Willies band is his sister Bobbi.
Somehow his tour can handle a grand piano unlike a certain band who plays football stadiums, but I digress.the Nelson family is amazing.

Date: July 31, 2018 00:28

Hairball
Just received notification that the Outlaw Music Festival will be coming to the Hollywood Bowl, L.A. in October, and while there's no mention of Neil being there (as of yet anyways),
it does sort of gel with what I was told about Neil and Promise of the Real playing the Santa Barbara Bowl in October, and the possibility of a full tour to follow.

Hollywood Bowl lineup:
Willie Nelson & Family, Phil Lesh & Friends, Sturgill Simpson, Margo Price, Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real, Particle Kid

On sale August 04, 2018

I saw The Outlaw Music Festival last year in Rogers Ark. Willle / Sheryl Crow / Jason Isbell / Margo Price / Lucas and POTR

Lucas played the entire time with Willie and get's a few moments to jamb.

It was a great show

Man.....Willie never stops

OT: Promise Of The Real
Date: July 31, 2018 22:20

Lukas & POTR and Margo Price are doing a free show at NYC's Lincoln Center Out Of Doors on August 12.

[www.lincolncenter.org]

Date: August 5, 2018 05:22

Another possible hint regarding a possible Neil and Promise of the Real tour....

Received a membership letter from the Lobero Theater Foundation in Santa Barbara:

It was such a thrill to kick off the summer with you and the legendary Neil Young here at the Lobero Theater.

You may be asking yourself, how did such a rare evening come together? As the Godfather of Grunge prepared to tour, Young's management searched for a venue both far enough outside of Los Angeles and comfortable enough to work out their new set. Thanks to a recommendation from his backing band, The Promise of the Real, the Lobero was selected. Which is how on short notice. such a top-secret. surprise show came to life.

As we are sure you will agree, these three nights were unforgettable. Each performance showcased the intimate atmosphere and visual appeal of this community treasure. It also gave us a wonderful opportunity to reaffirm our bond with our committed supporters and to forge new friendships"

It then goes on to thank donors for supporting the foundation.

So while it does mention "prepared to tour", it could also have been just as a preparation for the Arroyo Seco Weekend. But this, along with several other hints I've heard (Neil at Santa Barbara Bowl in October), points in the direction of a full blown tour. Even though the timing seems weird to prepare for a tour months in advance, seems there is a possibility it will eventually happen. Time will tell...

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: August 5, 2018 23:15

I hope they bring the Outlaw show to NorCal. Berkeley Greek or even Shoreline would be fine....

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 5, 2018 23:50

Hairball

Hollywood Bowl lineup:

On sale August 04, 2018

Sturgill Simpson is the real deal.

OT: Neil Young
Date: August 11, 2018 22:47

Son Volt covered Neil the other night in Kent OH - [www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: Neil Young
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: August 29, 2018 23:42

Neil and Daryl Hannah reportedly got married over the weekend.

Congrats!!
Don't think Croz made the nuptials.. cool smiley
[www.theguardian.com]

Date: August 30, 2018 00:28

MisterDDDD

Congrats!!
[www.theguardian.com]

As long as it not like Daryl "yoko" Hannah

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: August 30, 2018 01:28

jumpontopofmebaby
MisterDDDD

Congrats!!
[www.theguardian.com]

As long as it not like Daryl "yoko" Hannah

Who has the worse screetch - Daryl in 'Splash', or Yoko?

Date: August 30, 2018 01:50

Still waiting and wondering if there will be a Neil and Promise of the Real tour.
There's the Farm Aid and the Outlaw Music Festival coming up soon, but beyond that is still unknown...

Date: August 30, 2018 02:49

About 3-1/2 weeks 'til Farm Aid...I cannot wait.

Date: September 10, 2018 10:30

Four East coast shows to be announced soon according to Thrashers Wheat website via Neil Young archives.
"Presumably warmups for Farm Aid 2018".

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 10, 2018 18:16

That would be awesome! I hope he does something in NYC with POTR!
Got to be soon. Farm Aid is in 2 weeks.

Date: September 10, 2018 19:52

Yes that might be a bit short notice, but those Lobero shows with POTR were announced just days before they took place, so you never know.
And the previous shows in Bakersfield and Fresno w/Crazy Horse were also very short notice.

Gotta hand it to Neil and Paul McCartney - keeping it real w/multiple small surprise gigs and releasing new material. thumbs up

Keep your eyes peeled...

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: September 10, 2018 20:59

If Neil does announce anything before Farm Aid and he's doing it with POTR, it would have to be between Sept. 16 and Sept. 22. Thats the only gap in POTR's schedule.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1185
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home