Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 3, 2018 19:34

Bungo
On the subject of Neil's periods of "lazy song-writing" I couldn't agree more. I recently listened to On The Beach and Zuma. To call some of these songs "filler" would be too kind. There's some real shite in there. I could write better lyrics than some of that crap. Ragged Glory and some of his early material does it for me.

Wow, Zuma & especially On the Beach are longtime favorite. I also think, Sleeps with Angels is a very underrated record. To each his own I guess....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 3, 2018 20:35

dmay
Watching the video made me think about how you don't need an elaborate stage set, dancers on stage or a host of other distractions, to make great music. Maybe the Stones should look at doing shows this way and let the songs/music speak for itself. Sometimes simple is best.

It's an all around perfect setting in every way. thumbs up
Beautiful theater, amazingly clean sound, not a bad seat in the house...no bells and whistles necessary.

Very brief random thoughts:
-The squalling and wailing wall of thunder from Neils guitar during Hurricane with it's extended ending was something to behold.
- World on a String = beautifully raunchy greatness
-Everybody Knows this is Nowhere.......................wow.
-Fuc*in' Up followed by Too Far Gone followed by Only Love Can Break Your Heart is like a holy trinity suite of tunes that somehow fit together perfectly (in my mind anyways).
Band was tighter and already a well oiled machine - no more first night jitters lol.

*Trying to upload some pics to photobucket and/or shutterfly - poor internet connection darn it - will try again later.

Date: May 3, 2018 23:20

A few quick pics from first and second night - mostly theater itself and all around atmosphere:

Would love to see the Stones do something like this.......................

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 3, 2018 23:25

I just got back to Marin from Fresno. I loved last night's show!

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: May 4, 2018 03:40

Great Photo's...Very Cool Venue ....WoW I wish I could have been there.M

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: May 4, 2018 03:53

dmay
Watching the video made me think about how you don't need an elaborate stage set, dancers on stage or a host of other distractions, to make great music. Maybe the Stones should look at doing shows this way and let the songs/music speak for itself. Sometimes simple is best.

But Mick needs to hump someone every show. Sure will be hard to adjust to the circus and the dreaded bass solo after Neil x3.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: May 4, 2018 06:23

Looks like a great venue!

Is it known why Poncho isn't with them?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-04 06:28 by doitywoik.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 4, 2018 07:07

doitywoik
Neil has said its because he's not well enough to join and no one officially knows anything more than that. Hopefully he's alright and its not like Neil is trying to hide it (unless that reason is total bull although I doubt it is), so until then thats basically what we just have to accept. I'm more than fine with Nils taking his place. At least its "in the family".

Date: May 4, 2018 09:25

RollingFreak
doitywoik
Neil has said its because he's not well enough to join and no one officially knows anything more than that. Hopefully he's alright and its not like Neil is trying to hide it (unless that reason is total bull although I doubt it is), so until then thats basically what we just have to accept. I'm more than fine with Nils taking his place. At least its "in the family".

When and where did Neil say Pancho wasn't well enough to join?
Here's the official statement Neil posted on his site, and there's nothing about him not being well:

"A few months back we started talking about playing some remote clubs and getting our feet wet again.
Poncho is unable to join us right now but we all hope he will be back ... I think it will be the beginning of another beautiful chapter in our long, enriching and life changing Crazy Horse story."

As much as I love Pancho, couldn't think of a better musician to fill the void than Nils. And in all honesty, in some aspects Nils contributes more and brings out a better performance from Neil and the entire band.
Hope they continue on, record some new music, and tour just as they are. Or possibly even better yet , hope Pancho returns and they still continue on as they are...gotta keep Nils in the Horse somehow!
As for Promise of the Real w/Neil, aside from a couple of upcoming festivals, who knows what the future holds for them.

Edit: From last night - a barrage of wailing guitars:
NYCH - F*ckin' Up - Fresno 05.02.2018

Edit #2:

Very quick random thought on tonights show as I'm a bit tuckered out!
Tonight's show mixed up the setlist a bit and they came out guns a blazin' with a ferocious version of Love and Only Love.
Had front row, took some pretty darn good pics (will post a couple tomorrow), and Fresno is now in the history books.
Bakersfield just down the highway, gonna make it happen...I'll be there for Sat. and Sun. thumbs up

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-04 10:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 5, 2018 21:52

Recordings of the first 3 shows have appeared online and for a bunch of "unrehearsed" dudes in their late 60's NYCH sound pretty incredible! thumbs up

Date: May 5, 2018 22:40

Pics from third show, May 3 - taken with cheap $100 Sony Cybershot:

Same camera man who was filming the live stream for the first show was also meandering around filming both the May 2nd and 3rd shows -
don't know if it was live streamed or not, but maybe he was just documenting the shows for a future project.

Currently in Bakersfield with a balcony seat for tonight and a nice seat right behind pit (4th row) for tomorrows final show.
Drove by theater earlier, and it looks to be another oldie but goodie! What a fantastic week it's been so far....the week of the Horse!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-05 22:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 5, 2018 22:51

dcba
...and for a bunch of "unrehearsed" dudes in their late 60's NYCH sound pretty incredible! thumbs up

Indeed! And I didn't realize Billy and Ralph will be 75 this year...Neil is 72 and Nils is the only one still in his 60s, turning 67 next month.

Date: May 5, 2018 23:03

Wow had no idea Ralph was near 75 years old - he sure has alot of stamina!
And his drumming is so powerful...sounds like a cannon firing off at times, but then he has the soft touch when necessary.

Date: May 6, 2018 10:59

watched the webcast of show 1. excellent. nils seems to be kicking neil in the butt to good effect.

Date: May 6, 2018 20:27

Very nice old historical theater in downtown Bakersfield, yet perhaps lacking a bit in the ornate beauty of the Fresno Theatre. But what it might have lacked in that, it made up for with it's historical vibe...the ghosts of Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Johnny Cash, and BB King (who all performed there in the past) were all in attendance. Had a nice balcony seat on the far left side right on the rail looking down over the festivities, and was nice to kick back in a chair to rest my bones after standing for all the previous shows (but not complaining about that ha). Sound was perfectly loud and clear from that vantage point, and was able to snap off a few more nice pics throughout (will post a few later). I noticed the orch. pit is actually sunken below floor level by about a foot, so the seat I have for tonight's grand finale right behind the three row pit section will actually seem just like front row with a clear view of stage.

Several changes to last nights set:

After starting Walk On, Neil abruptly ended it after a minute saying something like "not feeling it"...shaking his head...paced around a bit and said to the audience "we play what we want"!
Should make for an interesting recording to hear this, and while it was a pity he didn't finish such a lovely tune, what came next more than made up for it.
He and the band ripped in to When You Dance I Can Really Love followed by The Loner...
Can't find any videos yet, but this verion from Live Rust is the next best thing"
When You Dance I Can Really Love

Another blasting version of F*cking Up, a lovely version of Cinnamon Girl, and a scorching version of Hurricane...wow.
And another surprise addition in the setlist with a smokin' Love to Burn for the first encore tune, and ending with Roll Another Number which seems to be the perfect ending for these shows.
So now it comes down to tonight...tonight's the night...the last of a five show run...amazing fun...wish it would go on for a couple of weeks longer...good chance I'd attend every one of them.
My wife would probably kill me ha, but maybe not...and it might be worth the gamble to find out. winking smiley

Date: May 7, 2018 05:56

RollingFreak
doitywoik

When I saw them the last time in 2013, Billy Talbot was not with them (some illnes, I think) and Duck sat in for him. Reminds one of the fact that meanwhile they all reached an age where it cannot be taking for granted that all of them will be fit to tour all the time.

Date: May 7, 2018 16:34

The three Fresno shows are up on Dime.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 7, 2018 19:02

Bungo
On the subject of Neil's periods of "lazy song-writing" I couldn't agree more. I recently listened to On The Beach and Zuma. To call some of these songs "filler" would be too kind. There's some real shite in there. I could write better lyrics than some of that crap. Ragged Glory and some of his early material does it for me.

On The Beach is wittout a shadow of a doubt one of Neils best albums, and Zuma is pretty damn good also......

"Filler" Some people are clueless......

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 7, 2018 19:26

All three on Guitars 101......sign in or register and search 'Neil Young 2018'..........[www.guitars101.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-07 22:31 by EddieByword.

Date: May 7, 2018 20:03

doitywoik
RollingFreak
doitywoik

When I saw them the last time in 2013, Billy Talbot was not with them (some illnes, I think) and Duck sat in for him. Reminds one of the fact that meanwhile they all reached an age where it cannot be taking for granted that all of them will be fit to tour all the time.

Wasn't it Rick Rojas (RIP)?

Date: May 7, 2018 20:14

Final show was a stunner (maybe the best?)- quick random thoughts:
Changed opening again and came out full steam ahead with Love to Burn and Mansion on the Hill.
Neil finally went to the grand piano that had been untouched previous shows for a bluesy smokey Speakin'Out from Tonights the Night while Nils played some tasty solos - perfect for a theater setting.
F*!#in' Up is always good live and loud, and seemed especially raunchy tonight with Neil nearly screaming/crying towards the end in rage and anguish.
New addition to the show Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) - rock and roll will never die...enough said.
Another new addition to the shows with Down By the Rover for an extended encore....wow....that was some hot stuff.

Love To Burn
Mansion On The Hill
Country Home
Don't Cry No Tears
Winterlong
The Losing End
Speakin' Out
World On A String
Scattered (Let's Think About Livin')
F*!#in' Up
Too Far Gone
Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Cinnamon Girl
Cortez The Killer
Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
Roll Another Number

encore - Down By The River

And so it ends, and I'm about to head back on the road home...back to reality after a week of the Horse...wondering what the future holds for the band.
Looking forward to seeing Neil with Promise of the Real next month, and while they have always been great to see w/Neil, there's something special about this old tight core band that is hard to define - Ralph and Billy are the perfect fuel that makes Crazy Horse run like a locomotive, and with Nils on board it was really something to behold.

Thanks to those who provided presale links and updates, etc. for these shows- I feel privileged and very lucky to have seen them, and I'll remember them all forever. thumbs up

Speakin' Out (live at the Roxy)

Date: May 7, 2018 21:45

Hairball
Final show was a stunner (maybe the best?)- quick random thoughts:
Changed opening again and came out full steam ahead with Love to Burn and Mansion on the Hill.
Neil finally went to the grand piano that had been untouched previous shows for a bluesy smokey Speakin'Out from Tonights the Night while Nils played some tasty solos - perfect for a theater setting.
F*!#in' Up is always good live and loud, and seemed especially raunchy tonight with Neil nearly screaming/crying towards the end in rage and anguish.
New addition to the show Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black) - rock and roll will never die...enough said.
Another new addition to the shows with Down By the Rover for an extended encore....wow....that was some hot stuff.

Love To Burn
Mansion On The Hill
Country Home
Don't Cry No Tears
Winterlong
The Losing End
Speakin' Out
World On A String
Scattered (Let's Think About Livin')
F*!#in' Up
Too Far Gone
Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Cinnamon Girl
Cortez The Killer
Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)
Roll Another Number

encore - Down By The River

And so it ends, and I'm about to head back on the road home...back to reality after a week of the Horse...wondering what the future holds for the band.
Looking forward to seeing Neil with Promise of the Real next month, and while they have always been great to see w/Neil, there's something special about this old tight core band that is hard to define - Ralph and Billy are the perfect fuel that makes Crazy Horse run like a locomotive, and with Nils on board it was really something to behold.

Thanks to those who provided presale links and updates, etc. for these shows- I feel privileged and very lucky to have seen them, and I'll remember them all forever. thumbs up

Speakin' Out (live at the Roxy)

Hi Hairball.................when you say final show, are you talking about the Bakersfield show? ...........thanks

Date: May 8, 2018 00:49

EddieByword
Hi Hairball.................when you say final show, are you talking about the Bakersfield show? ...........thanks

Yes Eddie that's what I meant - last nights show - the grand finale of the scheduled five night run (three in Fresno, two in Bakersfield). Now as far as I know that's the final show, at least for the time being anyways, but something tells me they may go out for more? Really hope so! They were in such a tight groove from the first night to the last, that it seems a shame if they don't keep going. Maybe these really were designed as "rehearsals" for something much bigger? I think Nils has some tour dates in Europe coming up very soon, but beyond that who knows? As for now, I've got swaths of beautifully unhinged feedback laden, organized chaotic guitars wailing away in my head right now, and need some time to makes sense of it all - what a trip. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-08 00:51 by Hairball.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 8, 2018 00:56

Thanks for your reports and pictures,Hairball.
Must have been a hell of a week...

Date: May 8, 2018 01:54

Hairball
EddieByword

Yes Eddie that's what I meant - last nights show - the grand finale of the scheduled five night run (three in Fresno, two in Bakersfield). Now as far as I know that's the final show, at least for the time being anyways, but something tells me they may go out for more? Really hope so! They were in such a tight groove from the first night to the last, that it seems a shame if they don't keep going. Maybe these really were designed as "rehearsals" for something much bigger? I think Nils has some tour dates in Europe coming up very soon, but beyond that who knows? As for now, I've got swaths of beautifully unhinged feedback laden, organized chaotic guitars wailing away in my head right now, and need some time to makes sense of it all - what a trip. thumbs up

Cheers Hairball, thanks, I can't stop playing Neil Young at the moment............I can really recommend Neil Young & Promise of the Real
2016-10-12
Fox Pomona, CA on Guitars 101..with a 26 minute opening song, Like an Inca..................(The 3 Fresno shows are all up too

Setlist
1. Like A Inca
2. @#$%& Up
3. When You Dance I Can Really Love
4. The Loner
5. Cinnamon Girl
6. Cortez The Killer
7. Human Highway
8. From Hank To Hendrix
9. Peace Of Mind
10. I Am A Child
11. Show Me
12. Neighborhood
13. Words
14. If I Could Her Tonight
15. Walk On
16. Texas Rangers
17. Powderfunger
18. Cowgirl In The Sand
19. Seed Justice
20. Peace Trail
21. I've Been Waiting For You
22. Hey, Hey, My, My
23. Encore Break

24. Roll Another Number
25. Piece Of Crap

You have to sign in or register if you fancy it............[www.guitars101.com]

smileys with beer

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 8, 2018 02:09

I would love to have seen one of these shows.

Seeing Neil Young play is always a great thing, but with Crazy Horse, it's just a bit more special.

Date: May 8, 2018 04:37

crholmstrom
Wasn't it Rick Rojas (RIP)?

Oh f*ck, yes, you're right of course, it was Rosas ...eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-08 04:47 by doitywoik.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: May 8, 2018 04:55

shortfatfanny
Thanks for your reports and pictures,Hairball.
Must have been a hell of a week...

Indeed! Cheers and thanks, Hairball! smileys with beer

Date: May 8, 2018 04:55

EddieByword
Hairball
EddieByword

Cheers Hairball, thanks, I can't stop playing Neil Young at the moment............I can really recommend Neil Young & Promise of the Real
2016-10-12
Fox Pomona, CA on Guitars 101..with a 26 minute opening song, Like an Inca..................(The 3 Fresno shows are all up too

Setlist
1. Like A Inca
2. @#$%& Up
4. The Loner
5. Cinnamon Girl
6. Cortez The Killer
7. Human Highway
8. From Hank To Hendrix
9. Peace Of Mind
10. I Am A Child
11. Show Me
12. Neighborhood
13. Words
15. Walk On
16. Texas Rangers
17. Powderfunger
18. Cowgirl In The Sand
19. Seed Justice
20. Peace Trail
22. Hey, Hey, My, My
23. Encore Break

24. Roll Another Number
25. Piece Of Crap

smileys with beer

Hi Eddie, thanks for the tip. thumbs up

I was also at those Fox Theater Pomona shows on the rail right up front (and have boots of both) - in between both Desert Trip weekends that was another memorable week in my life! smiling smiley
There's a youtube video of Like an Inca that some guy just to my right was filming (pitflicks on youtube). I remember some lady standing a bit behind me was bewildered and confused that Neil would open with an extended jam like that - she wanted the greatest hits haha.

Here's a pic I took of the 10/12 show - I think it's the same cheap Sony Cybershot I used at the recent shows:

EDIT: Found video of Like an Inca... (there's also a few other tunes he posted from same show on youtube)
Neil Young & POTR - "Like An Inca", Live @ The Fox Theatre, Pomona CA 10/12/2016

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-08 05:06 by Hairball.

Date: May 8, 2018 11:06

Hairball
EddieByword
Hairball
EddieByword

2016-10-12

Setlist
1. Like A Inca
2. @#$%& Up
4. The Loner
5. Cinnamon Girl
6. Cortez The Killer
7. Human Highway
8. From Hank To Hendrix
9. Peace Of Mind
10. I Am A Child
11. Show Me
12. Neighborhood
13. Words
15. Walk On
16. Texas Rangers
17. Powderfunger
18. Cowgirl In The Sand
19. Seed Justice
20. Peace Trail
22. Hey, Hey, My, My
23. Encore Break

24. Roll Another Number
25. Piece Of Crap

smileys with beer

Hi Eddie, thanks for the tip. thumbs up

I was also at those Fox Theater Pomona shows on the rail right up front (and have boots of both) - in between both Desert Trip weekends that was another memorable week in my life! smiling smiley
There's a youtube video of Like an Inca that some guy just to my right was filming (pitflicks on youtube). I remember some lady standing a bit behind me was bewildered and confused that Neil would open with an extended jam like that - she wanted the greatest hits haha.

Here's a pic I took of the 10/12 show - I think it's the same cheap Sony Cybershot I used at the recent shows:

EDIT: Found video of Like an Inca... (there's also a few other tunes he posted from same show on youtube)
Neil Young & POTR - "Like An Inca", Live @ The Fox Theatre, Pomona CA 10/12/2016

Ahh, that's great, thanks alot............downloading now....

Opening song?.....I've thought about that........yeah, can you imagine the Stones doing that with CYHMK or Fingerprint File or Going home...............Musically I think Neil Young's got the biggest balls in the industry......goood on him.....smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home