Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: MrMibbs ()
Date: March 29, 2018 21:35

bye bye johnny
Neil Young Premieres Trippy New Film 'Paradox' at SXSW

"It's a labor of love ... well, not a lot of labor," musician says as he and director Daryl Hannah unveil futuristic Western at fest

By David Fear
March 16, 2018

Daryl Hannah and Neil Young at the SXSW premiere of 'Paradox.'

[www.rollingstone.com]
cuccoo

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 3, 2018 17:22

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23
SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY – SARATOGA PERFORMING ARTS CENTER
Willie Nelson & Family
Neil Young + Promise of the Real
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats
Lukas Nelson + Promise of the Real
Particle Kid
Other Artists To Be Announced

[blackbirdpresents.com]

Date: April 3, 2018 17:59

Still hoping Neil plays somewhere I can make it to.

Date: April 3, 2018 18:00

MrMibbs
bye bye johnny
Neil Young Premieres Trippy New Film 'Paradox' at SXSW

"It's a labor of love ... well, not a lot of labor," musician says as he and director Daryl Hannah unveil futuristic Western at fest

By David Fear
March 16, 2018

Daryl Hannah and Neil Young at the SXSW premiere of 'Paradox.'

[www.rollingstone.com]
cuccoo

Daryl "YOKO" Hanna - I HOPE NOT!

Date: April 4, 2018 21:40

Lukas Nelson Talks Writing With Lady Gaga, Gigging With Neil Young

Myriam Santos

From Andy Greene's interview:

Paradox, the surreal western you shot with Neil Young and Daryl Hannah, has been on Netflix for a couple of weeks. Tell me some reactions that you've gotten to it.

Actually, a lot of people really like the music. It's not really supposed to be this kind of serious thing. It's supposed to be out there and zany. I mean, we recorded it in three days and it's a whole movie. Because Neil and Daryl put it out, some critics are going to have expectations, but I just think it's fantastic. It was so much fun to do.

I love the version of "Peace Trail" that you guys shot in the tent.

That was right after he recorded the album with [Jim] Keltner and those guys. He showed us the record and that was the first time we ever played it. With Neil, it's always spontaneous and beautiful. It's a blast playing with him. He's so energized and he seems like he's got this new lease on life.

Your set with Neil at Farm Aid in 2017 was the best set I saw all year even though it was just 45 minutes.

We didn't rehearse anything. We went in his truck about 30 minutes before and we practiced a couple of songs that didn't wind up being in the set. When we got onstage, he threw all these songs at us, one hit after another. That was kind of historic, that set. It was incredible.

So you walked out not knowing you'd open with "F*ckin' Up?"

We didn't know anything. He just called it out as it was going.

You're playing a festival with Quebec with Neil in early July and Arroyo Seco in late June. That seems to be it for the summer, but then there's Farm Aid in September. Are you doing any more shows with him around that time?

I think so, but I don't know. I can't speak for what he wants to do. All I know is those two festivals are confirmed and there may be other ones. I just know there's talk. I couldn't say anything else on the record. [[i]Shortly after this interview, it was announced that Neil Young and Promise of the Real would play an Outlaw Festival date in Saratoga Springs, New York, on September 23rd.[/i]]

There's a great scene in Paradox where you're playing "Cowgirl in the Sand" at Desert Trip and the look on your face is just rapturous. How does a moment like that feel?

There's no describing the feeling of playing for 80,000 people with one of your greatest musical heroes in the world with a band that I created and my brother, literally, and my other brothers. Being up there was the most incredible thing that I've ever, ever been a part of besides when I play side by side with my dad every night. I don't even know how to describe that. It's like reaching some sort of spiritual pinnacle and discovering that life is just a dream and now I'm merrily, merrily floating down the stream.

Are there any Neil songs you aren't ready to play on a moment's notice? If he calls for something like "Sample and Hold" or "T-Bone," are you ready?

Not really. If I feel like there's a song I don't know and he wants to call it out, I know music enough to where I could fall in line. If I know the key and I can watch for a verse and see what's happening and play the right notes in any song. It only takes me about 30 minutes to learn any given song. It just comes as natural to me as cooking breakfast or something.

It was great to great to hear "Revolution Blues" and "Vampire Blues," songs he hasn't done in years and years.

Yeah. It's fantastic, man. It's just so cool to be part of Neil's musical journey. It just keeps getting better and better and we keep learning more and more. That's the bottom line.

Full interview > [www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 4, 2018 22:29

bye bye johnny
Lukas Nelson Talks Writing With Lady Gaga, Gigging With Neil Young

Myriam Santos

From Andy Greene's interview:

Paradox, the surreal western you shot with Neil Young and Daryl Hannah, has been on Netflix for a couple of weeks. Tell me some reactions that you've gotten to it.

Actually, a lot of people really like the music. It's not really supposed to be this kind of serious thing. It's supposed to be out there and zany. I mean, we recorded it in three days and it's a whole movie. Because Neil and Daryl put it out, some critics are going to have expectations, but I just think it's fantastic. It was so much fun to do.

I love the version of "Peace Trail" that you guys shot in the tent.

That was right after he recorded the album with [Jim] Keltner and those guys. He showed us the record and that was the first time we ever played it. With Neil, it's always spontaneous and beautiful. It's a blast playing with him. He's so energized and he seems like he's got this new lease on life.

Your set with Neil at Farm Aid in 2017 was the best set I saw all year even though it was just 45 minutes.

We didn't rehearse anything. We went in his truck about 30 minutes before and we practiced a couple of songs that didn't wind up being in the set. When we got onstage, he threw all these songs at us, one hit after another. That was kind of historic, that set. It was incredible.

So you walked out not knowing you'd open with "F*ckin' Up?"

We didn't know anything. He just called it out as it was going.

You're playing a festival with Quebec with Neil in early July and Arroyo Seco in late June. That seems to be it for the summer, but then there's Farm Aid in September. Are you doing any more shows with him around that time?

I think so, but I don't know. I can't speak for what he wants to do. All I know is those two festivals are confirmed and there may be other ones. I just know there's talk. I couldn't say anything else on the record. [[i]Shortly after this interview, it was announced that Neil Young and Promise of the Real would play an Outlaw Festival date in Saratoga Springs, New York, on September 23rd.[/i]]

There's a great scene in Paradox where you're playing "Cowgirl in the Sand" at Desert Trip and the look on your face is just rapturous. How does a moment like that feel?

There's no describing the feeling of playing for 80,000 people with one of your greatest musical heroes in the world with a band that I created and my brother, literally, and my other brothers. Being up there was the most incredible thing that I've ever, ever been a part of besides when I play side by side with my dad every night. I don't even know how to describe that. It's like reaching some sort of spiritual pinnacle and discovering that life is just a dream and now I'm merrily, merrily floating down the stream.

Are there any Neil songs you aren't ready to play on a moment's notice? If he calls for something like "Sample and Hold" or "T-Bone," are you ready?

Not really. If I feel like there's a song I don't know and he wants to call it out, I know music enough to where I could fall in line. If I know the key and I can watch for a verse and see what's happening and play the right notes in any song. It only takes me about 30 minutes to learn any given song. It just comes as natural to me as cooking breakfast or something.

It was great to great to hear "Revolution Blues" and "Vampire Blues," songs he hasn't done in years and years.

Yeah. It's fantastic, man. It's just so cool to be part of Neil's musical journey. It just keeps getting better and better and we keep learning more and more. That's the bottom line.

Full interview > [www.rollingstone.com]

They played Vampire Blues at the Fox In Pomona the 2nd night. I never expected it at all. That night I will never forget. Lucas was so stoned his eyes were barley open. Neil was in rare form and I was only 5 feet from the stage on Lucas's side. I have seen Lucas and the POTR twice since. Once on new years with Willie in Austin and and then last summer with Willie on his Outlaw Concert dates. Sheryl Crow was also there. Catch Lucas and POTR when you can. You can see them in small venues right now.

Date: April 6, 2018 15:53

Neil Young is at the #1 spot for most activity on Pollstar but I don't see any new dates....hmmmmmm

Hopefully some new ones are about to be announced

Date: April 6, 2018 15:54

jumpontopofmebaby
Neil Young is at the #1 spot for most activity on Pollstar but I don't see any new dates....hmmmmmm

Hopefully some new ones are about to be announced

And in just a matter of minutes he is now #2!

Date: April 6, 2018 16:35

What "activity"? Is there a link?

Date: April 6, 2018 17:37

bye bye johnny
What "activity"? Is there a link?

www.pollstar.com

Date: April 19, 2018 16:57

2018 Heart of Gold Gala

Neil Young & The Bridge School request the pleasure of your company at the 1st East Coast Heart of Gold Gala

The Hamptons, New York

July 14, 2018

The Gala

The Bridge School Heart of Gold Gala will be held on Saturday, July 14th, 2018 in Water Mill, New York. Neil Young will provide an ultra-intimate performance by playing his legendary music while interacting with the 500+ person dinner crowd. Celebrities, corporate executives, and Neil Young fans worldwide are attending the Gala to support and be immersed in Neil’s lifetime of work.

When all performances conclude, a live auction will be conducted offering items (i.e. Neil’s guitar, signed Steinway piano, memorabilia) along with high-end experiences (i.e. lunch with an artist, exclusive tour of Tesla factory) to be bid on by the event attendees. The Gala will also include a cocktail hour, silent auction, art collection viewing, plated dinner, and celebrity performances.

[www.bridgeschool.org]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 19, 2018 17:25

Will a IORR member reserve the front row "12 people" table at 150K and invite me? smoking smiley
I'll pay for the tuxedo with my own money!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-19 17:25 by dcba.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 19, 2018 19:22

Billy Talbot And Ralph Molina Look Back On Neil Young’s ‘Tonight’s The Night’ 1973 Gig At The Roxy

By CORBIN REIFF

“Welcome to Miami Beach, everything’s cheaper than it looks.” 45 years later, and you can practically smell the tequila on Neil Young’s breath as he leans into the microphone to share that tongue-in-cheek greeting on the new live album Roxy: Tonight’s The Night Live. Of course, he’s nowhere near Miami Beach on this night. In fact, he’s a good 3,000 miles away, standing onstage in front of a rapt crowd of few hundred industry insiders and the LA elites, playing the inaugural gig at this posh Hollywood club. Backed by a new band called the Santa Monica Flyers, that’s made up of players from some of his older bands, including the rhythm section of the venerated group Crazy Horse, Neil is prepping to launch into one of the final songs of his short and loose set, “Tired Eyes.”

“Let’s have a little sun on that tree,” he commands the lighting guy, pointing to a plastic palm someone has placed onstage. “We’re doing okay in the ‘70s, we really are,” he slurs. “This tree’s coming back. Everything’s okay. Spiro [Agnew] says it’s alright. I wonder if he’s sleeping so well tonight.” From the audience, “I doubt it!” I’d doubt it too. It’s September 22, 1973. Less than three weeks later ol’ Spiro would resign from the office of Vice President in disgrace after facing charges of corruption.

The ‘70s had been a fraught time for Neil as well. Though the decade was still young, the Canadian singer-songwriter had endured some of the highest highs and lowest lows one can imagine in the music industry. It began with a fruitful collaboration between his old Buffalo Springfield bandmate Stephen Stills, along with David Crosby and Graham Nash that bred the No. 1 album Déjà Vu, which was followed a couple of years later by his No. 1 solo album Harvest. Neil was unquestionably one of the biggest stars on the planet. Life was good. Then everything turned black.

On November 18, 1972 Danny Whitten, Neil’s friend and Crazy Horse bandmate, died of an overdose of quaaludes. Seven months later, his roadie Bruce Berry also died of an overdose, this time of heroin and cocaine. Neil took the losses hard, blaming himself for the fates of both men. “Danny’s loss was a jolt in reality to Neil,” drummer Ralph Molina told me. “He was so in tune with Danny’s rhythm. He was the head, we were the body. It was a tremendous loss for all of us, to this day.”

Looking around at all of his commercial success and the accompanying pressures that came along with it, Neil decided he wanted out. Not of making music, but of making chart-toppers like the saccharine ballad “Heart Of Gold,” in particular. “This song put me in the middle of the road,” he wrote in the liner notes to his compilation record Decade. “Traveling there soon became a bore, so I headed for the ditch. A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there.”

The ditch, in this case, was S.I.R. Studios on Santa Monica Blvd., in LA, where he ensconced with Molina, bassist Billy Talbot, guitar and piano player Nils Lofgren and pedal steel guitarist Ben Keith. For a couple of weeks, the musicians, under the watchful eye of producer David Briggs, tipped back drinks late into the wee hours of the night — “tequila and hamburgers, that was the input,” Neil told his biographer Jimmy McDonough — and recorded the material for Neil’s masterpiece, the whimsical and dark Tonight’s The Night.

“Tonight’s The Night was special,” bassist Billy Talbot told me about those recording sessions. “It was real life. He was just rapping out shit that happened,” he explained. “We’re with Neil and Danny’s passed away… it was kinda like a wake. An Irish wake. We were aware of the situation and trying not to be too heavy about it. We were playing music after all and music is a joyful thing. You don’t get that vibe every day.”

“We all just played pool and stood around,” Molina remembered. “We would look at each other, and we all knew. The mood was where we wanted it to be [and so we] walked into the rehearsal room, went to our instruments — this was about midnight, 1 AM — and just started playing. The passion, feel, heart, all came together. That’s how it was through the sessions; wait until the right moment came.”

Recording lasted through the summer of 1973, with one night, August 26, being especially fruitful, producing five of the best cuts on the record: “Tired Eyes,” “Mellow My Mind,” “Speakin’ Out,” “World on a String,” and the title track. With the record seemingly done in September, Neil was invited by his managers Elliot Roberts and David Geffen to play at this new club they invested in called the Roxy down on Sunset Blvd. To Neil and the rest of the guys, it seemed like a prime opportunity to test out their new repertoire. They agreed.

“That night at the Roxy, we did just what we did when we were recording, except there was an audience there,” Talbot explained. The feeling in the room was loose. Maybe too loose. Neil is half singer, half-comedian, cracking wise about strippers and Perry Como, mocking Geffen out amongst the crowd. Onstage is that fake palm tree they swiped from S.I.R., as well as a cigar store Indian, and about $900 worth of glittery boots arranged around Neil’s grand piano. For most of the performance, the band acted as if no one else was even there. “When you’re tuned-in as one, we forget there’s a room,” Molina explained. “Could’ve been the garage, living room…etc.”

While the patter in between songs tips toward irreverence — “The first topless girl up here gets one of these boots ladies and gentlemen,” the singer promises at the top of the set — the weeks spent in the studio shine through. Neil and the band are operating at telepathic levels, producing honest-to-God moments of inspired musical transcendence. “I wrote this song in Albuquerque, it’s called ‘Albuquerque,’” he notes, before sliding into one of the most melancholic compositions you’ve ever heard. Listening to Neil pine for an escape from the life of a rockstar while at the heart of the star-making apparatus is a thrilling dichotomy. “I’ve been flying down the road / And I’ve been starving to be alone / And independent from the scene that I’ve known.”

Despite the fact that no one in the crowd could recognize any of the material Neil and the band were playing, the mood is pretty convivial. Everyone is simply happy to be there. At the end of the set, when Neil dives back once again into the title track, a cheer goes up through the room, and as they bring it to a close, everyone out in the crowd claps to rhythm of the song. “It was an event,” Talbot said. “There was a lot of different people — not that I notice that kind of stuff — but you could feel it in the air. It was an eventful scene.”

While the performances captured on Roxy: Tonight’s The Night Live were well-received at the time, the same could not be said once the band took the show on the road in Europe. Audiences who came out hoping to hear the hugely popular singer-songwriter strum out “Old Man,” and “Heart Of Gold,” were instead treated to a decidedly strung-out looking Neil playing music that remained wholly unfamiliar. Undeterred, Neil leaned into their bewilderment, promising to “Play something you’ve heard before,” and then hitting them with “Tonight’s The Night” for the second time in the set.

“As a fan, I’d want to hear classics, as a player, you can’t just live on your laurels,” Molina said. “The big guy likes to move on.” Talbot agreed, “Each performance was a trip unto itself,” he said. “We were doing Tonight’s The Night after all. Because they weren’t expecting it, it put a little stain on the whole performance, but we made use of it. Just not doing what they expected and going to the edge with these different songs was really cool for us. It was artistic. I was glad to be a part of it.”

Once that tour ended, rather than releasing Tonight’s The Night right away, Neil decided to mess around a bit more with the master tapes. He made competing mixes with his producer David Briggs who for years loudly declared to anyone that listened that the record was perfect before Young began tinkering with it all over again. At the same time, Neil became pre-occupied with a massive stadium reunion tour with Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, before starting work on another, equally enigmatic record titled On The Beach. It wasn’t until nearly two years after his gigs at the Roxy that the public at large finally got to hear Tonight’s The Night in all its glorious despair.

“Neil, to his credit, always kept it fresh,” Talbot said about his boss’s mercurial tendencies. “I feel blessed that I was a part of playing with the most emotional guitar-feeling player ever and to play with other players that felt the same way,” Molina added.

[uproxx.com]

Date: April 23, 2018 20:41

Date: April 23, 2018 21:17

This is great! Neil Young, the Heartbreakers and Stephen Stills backing Patti Smith at the "Light Up the Blues" concert, playing People Have the Power.

People Have the Power

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 23, 2018 22:03

Cristiano Radtke
This is great! Neil Young, the Heartbreakers and Stephen Stills backing Patti Smith at the "Light Up the Blues" concert, playing People Have the Power.

People Have the Power
Fantastic!
Neil and Patti really have a strong presence together on stage. Powerful.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 24, 2018 00:13

I've listened to Roxy 73. its incredible.

Date: April 24, 2018 00:40

crholmstrom
I've listened to Roxy 73. its incredible.

There will be a streaming at 8pm PST on Neil Young Archives website.

This is an incredible record, indeed. "You're a great audience! You don't sing very loud, but you're great!", says Neil on "Candy Bar Rap 2". How could they sing along if those were new songs? grinning smiley

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 24, 2018 01:18

The Horse is back! 2 shows just announced for May 1&2 in Fresno at an under 3000 seat theater. Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

Password is nyarchive

Date: April 24, 2018 01:34

Rob Grabowski Invision/Associated Press

Neil Young and Crazy Horse will perform in Fresno. Pre-sale tickets for 24 hours

By Carmen George
April 23, 2018

Neil Young and Crazy Horse will perform at Warnors Theatre in Fresno for two nights on May 1-2.

An announcement on the artist's page Monday said pre-sale is only available for 24 hours via this link on etix.com.

Tickets for the 8 p.m. show range from $55 to $199.50.

Neil Young Archives announced the show with this message: "Fresno. May 1 and 2. First time in a long time, Live on stage. No rehearsal. PRE-SALE TICKETS AVAILABLE ONLY THROUGH NYA. 24 hours only."

The password: nyarchives.

Warnors Theatre confirmed the performance.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse last played together in July 2014, reported jambase.com.

[www.fresnobee.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 24, 2018 08:39

Wow, thanks for the heads up!!! thumbs up
Just made it back from Vegas earlier after a 5.5 hour drive through the desert...a bit dazed...unwinding, unpacking, going through mail, paid a few bills, then checked in on IORR.
I went straight to this thread when I saw there was a new post just as I always do, and am glad I did as this presale ended at 10pm pacific time, and I was able to get in there right about 9:00!

Going for the 3.5 hour road trip to Fresno on May 1st....sitting Row F right/center!

“Fresno. May 1 and 2. First time in a long time, Live on stage. No rehearsal.”

Perfect. thumbs up

Date: April 25, 2018 04:26

News of these shows is coming in fast - from Nils Lofgren who played on the original Tonight's the Night and also on the newly released "Roxy: Tonight's the Night Live '73"

Nils

"The great news is I am jumping back in with #CrazyHorse @Neilyoung I will be there.
Beyond honored. Nothing like playing with old friends. A friend just reminded me, at this age you can’t coast"

Possibly playing Tonight's the Night in it's entirety?
And maybe some of that new unreleased Crazy Horse album Neil mentioned recently?

Rolling Stones review (4 of 5 stars): Neil Young's 'Roxy: Tonight's the Night Live' Brings Dark LP to Spotlight

"Recorded in September 1973, Roxy: Tonight's the Night Live is Young opening a now-legendary L.A. nightclub, fresh off the LP sessions with one of his greatest bands,
the so-called Santa Monica Flyers: Nils Lofgren on guitar and piano, Ben Keith on steel, plus the Crazy Horse rhythm section".

Thinking I should have also bought a ticket for May 2 while the presales were happening and make it a true road trip w/Neil ha, but was a bit dazed and confused post-Vegas and giddy after getting a ticket for May 1.
Haven't been able to find anything on public sales yet, but when they happen might go for it...in the meantime think I'll roll another number for the road.

New video: Neil Young & The Santa Monica Flyers - Roll Another Number

Thanks again Javadave for mentioning this, and especially bye bye johnny for providing the links, code, etc!!!! smileys with beer

EDIT: I see tickets are publicly available now - scouting out the scene for possibly buying another for May 2.

Warnors Theater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-25 04:35 by Hairball.

Date: April 25, 2018 04:34

Hairball

Haven't been able to find anything on public sales yet, but when they happen might go for it...in the meantime think I'll roll another number for the road.

Thanks again Javadave for mentioning this, and especially bye bye johnny for providing the links, code, etc!!!! smileys with beer

I'd do anything as possible as I could to have a chance like that. Go for it and you'll never regret doing that. smileys with beer

Neil Young and Crazy Horse May 1 & 2
Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 25, 2018 17:30

2 shows at a small theater in Fresno, Ca next week. I am going. Have a few extras if anyone wants to join me.

[www.jambase.com]

Re: Neil Young and Crazy Horse May 1 & 2
Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 25, 2018 19:09

Nils Lofgren just announced he will be playing with the Horse!

[www.jambase.com]

Date: April 25, 2018 21:45

Neil is way cool....does his own thing and keeps you on your toes!

He just does what feels right to him.

Come on Neil...get close to me!

Date: April 25, 2018 22:00

Cristiano Radtke
Hairball

I'd do anything as possible as I could to have a chance like that. Go for it and you'll never regret doing that. smileys with beer

In for night one row F right center (rows start with B = row 5), working out logistics and work schedule for night two, still contemplating, would have to spend the night in "lovely" Fresno to make it happen, thinking of how to explain to my wife lol, otherwise 3.5 hour drive to and from for night one only. Maybe a cheaper balcony seat, looks like some decent ones still available (as well as rear floors but don't want to be under overhang/balcony) ...seems a no brainer...could have, would have, should have maybe bought night two up close floor when I had the chance...Crazy Horse... yeehaw...on the fence...leaning heavily towards night two...giddyup. winking smiley

@ daspyknows - do you have spares for night two, and if so where?

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: April 26, 2018 00:36

Javadave
The Horse is back! 2 shows just announced for May 1&2 in Fresno at an under 3000 seat theater. Neil Young & Crazy Horse.

Password is nyarchive

I am in.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: April 27, 2018 04:58

Third night in Fresno was just added. Same password nyarchive. Some killer seats available right now.

Date: April 27, 2018 05:58

Javadave
Third night in Fresno was just added. Same password nyarchive. Some killer seats available right now.

Like front row? eye popping smiley grinning smiley

Thanks Javadave!

(add an s to that password > nyarchives)

PS - Still hemming and hawing on May 2...waiting word on a possible spare (daspyknows!) - and there's still some cheapie balcony seats available.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home