Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 24, 2018 12:59

have heard some bootlegs from the roxy. this is the sh*t!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 24, 2018 20:54

From Neil Young Archives:

Google And Artists

Young artists today, great authors, songwriters and musicians at the beginning of their creative output, are challenged to make ends meet in the digital world, a world where the artist is paid last, if at all, by the Tech Giants. This came to mind somehow today, listening to Broken Arrow, an album I made with Crazy Horse about twenty years ago, in 1996.

Broken Arrow is an overlooked album. It was the first Crazy Horse album after the death of David Briggs, our producer since the beginning’s lucky “Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere.” It was engineered by Greg Archilla, who David had just introduced to us. Broken Arrow is soulful. Real. Not trying to be anything it wasn’t. I was beginning to see that hits were overrated and that hit-makers were falling like flies.

There’s a comet in the sky tonight.

Makes me feel like I’m alright

I’m movin’ pretty fast

For my size

Those lyrics from “Music Arcade” are kind of how I felt at the time. Today, in the age of FaceBook, GOOGLE, and Amazon, it’s hard to tell how a new and growing musical artist could make it in the way we did. The Tech Giants have figured out a way to use all the great music of everyone from all time, without reporting an artist’s number of plays or paying a f*cking cent to the musicians. Aren’t they great companies!!! It makes you wonder where the next generation of artists will come from. How will they survive?

‘Don’t Be Evil.’ That was GOOGLE’s corporate motto as they directed users to pirate sites to get artists’ creations and not pay!! Amazing tech breakthrough!! Meanwhile, they reap the bucks from ads people read while listening to music made by the artists. GOOGLE just changed their motto to ‘Do The Right Thing,’ but haven’t changed anything else as they continue to rip off the artist community, building their wealth on music’s back and paying nothing to the artists. WOW! Brilliant tech breakthrough! BTW, GOOGLE is YOUTUBE! Guess who’s next?

I am so happy to be able to share my music and albums like Broken Arrow with you here at NYA, where you can actually hear what we did. Xstream high resolution music makes me feel like I was there. I hope you can feel it too. The more you enjoy this music, the happier I am to share it with you. NYA is moving into a future that is really different from what we have now. It will not be easy. We are going to break a few rules and give you what you want.

PEACE

NY/NYA

[neilyoungarchives.com]

Date: February 25, 2018 14:48

Chicago screening of "Paradox":

Paradox

A FILM BY: Daryl Hannah
WRITTEN BY: Daryl Hannah
STARRING: Neil Young, Lukas Nelson, Micah Nelson

ONE SHOW ONLY

March 24th at 6pm

Featuring a Post-Screening Q&A with Daryl Hannah & Neil Young!

Time is fluid in this far-fetched, whimsical western tale of music and love. Somewhere in the future past, The Man In the Black Hat hides out between heists at an old stagecoach stop with Jail Time, the Particle Kid, and an odd band of outlaws. Mining the detritus of past civilizations, they wait… for the Silver Eagle, for the womenfolk, and for the full moon’s magic to give rise to the music and make the spirits fly.

[www.musicboxtheatre.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-07 19:42 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: February 25, 2018 20:26

Cristiano Radtke
drewmaster

Do you know if he recorded Borrowed Tune that night? Or is it not included for copyright or financial/legal reasons (i.e., (and ironically) because it's a borrowed tune)? Either way, its absence is a deal-breaker for me ... easily the greatest track on the disc, IMO.

Drew

No,according to SugarMountain.org. The only difference was the last song on each concert, varying from Walk On, The Losing End, Cowgirl in the Sand and Down by The River.

BTW, Borrowed Tune was played live only 9 times, all in January, 1973.

Interesting! Thanks.

Drew

Date: March 1, 2018 20:36

Goldenvoice has announced the lineup for the second Arroyo Seco festival, June 23-24 in Pasadena, Calif.

Neil is going to be here

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 1, 2018 20:51

jumpontopofmebaby
Goldenvoice has announced the lineup for the second Arroyo Seco festival, June 23-24 in Pasadena, Calif.

Neil is going to be here

Thanks for the heads up!

Arroyo Seco Weekend 2018 lineup

Single day passes available - will be going to day one only!!! Neil, The Specials, and the Pretenders on the same day!!! And even Jack White!
(wish Los Lobos and the Violent Femmes would be scheduled for day one, but hey, hey, my my...this should be fun)!

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 1, 2018 20:59

jumpontopofmebaby

Neil is going to be here

Damn. Almost makes me want to reconsider No Filter. Note "Shakey Graves" on the lineup: a Rolling Stones trivial pursuit answer.

Date: March 1, 2018 21:05

DeanGoodman
jumpontopofmebaby

Neil is going to be here

Damn. Almost makes me want to reconsider No Filter. Note "Shakey Graves" on the lineup: a Rolling Stones trivial pursuit answer.

Not familiar with Shakey Graves (other than hearing the name), and just read quickly through wiki, but what is the Stones trivial pursuit connection?

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 1, 2018 21:13

Hairball

Not familiar with Shakey Graves (other than hearing the name), and just read quickly through wiki, but what is the Stones trivial pursuit connection?

They were originally scheduled to play the Fonda on the night the Stones played there.

Date: March 1, 2018 21:18

DeanGoodman
Hairball

They were originally scheduled to play the Fonda on the night the Stones played there.

Ha thanks - now that's some trivia! thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 1, 2018 21:18

DeanGoodman
Hairball

I remember that.

Date: March 1, 2018 22:11

This bodes well for Neil playing a small venue in the area around the time of this festival just as he did between Desert Trip weekends at the Pomona Theater.
Those four shows were up their with the best - from being up front at Desert Trip w/apprx. 75,000 people, to being up front center at the Pomona Theater w/apprx. 1,750 people.

PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! smiling smiley

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 1, 2018 22:20

Hairball
This bodes well for Neil playing a small venue in the area around the time of this festival just as he did between Desert Trip weekends at the Pomona Theater.
Those four shows were up their with the best - from being up front at Desert Trip w/apprx. 75,000 people, to being up front center at the Pomona Theater w/apprx. 1,750 people.

Desert Trip was epic. I missed the small shows but they were all recorded so I got to hear them.

Date: March 1, 2018 22:23

Hairball

I saw Neil at the Fox 2nd night. Lucas was so stoned you cold have blind folded him with dental floss! That was a great night

Neil was great at Desert Trip also had pit myself . Man what a weekend that was. Has almost ruined me. Hard to ever match. And the Stones the 2nd weekend were great and one of my all time favorite shows.. The atmosphere and the setlist were excellent!

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: March 2, 2018 01:07

Yes Neil & co killed it at DT wknd 2. I also was in the pit that weekend. After seeing him with POTR in Seattle and Vancouver the year before, it was great to see what a couple of tours did for the band. After Neil's 2 hour set, I stated leaving, then reminded myself Paul McCartney was coming on next for 3 hours...woah.

Seeing Paul & Neil sing & play together was a rock n roll peak for me. Two musical genius titans totally on their game.

The Stones on Fri were just meh, although some tasty tunes. I actually enjoyed Dylan more.

Date: March 2, 2018 01:27

That entire nine day period of Oct. 7-16, 2016, pretty much spoiled me forever, and I've noticed I don't have the same drive to see as many concerts as I used to.
Without nitpicking over the details of who was best or worst, etc. (Neil, Roger Waters, and the Who were the best both weekends winking smiley), it was like living in a rock and roll dream.
I'm much more picky and frugal with who I'll see and where I'll go, and will only see bands/artists that I've never seen and always wanted to (Paul Simon), or bands/artists that I know will guarantee a good time from past experiences (Neil, Dylan, ZZ Top, Jeff Beck, etc.). Also, going to see Los Lobos in a couple of weeks at a small theater that's about a 30 minute drive from where I live and tickets were cheap - they always put on a good show. So certain scenarios like that I'll always be game for, but if I had to drive down to L.A. through the hellish traffic to see them (about 60 miles away), might think twice about it. That said, going to the Hollywood Bowl in August to see ELO who I saw at the Fonda Theater a few years ago - they were great. My wife couldn't make it, so she begged to see them at the Bowl - gotta keep the wife happy! Also ZZ Top in Vegas - my wife loves Vegas and I love ZZ Top - it's a win win!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 2, 2018 01:46

Hairball
That entire nine day period of Oct. 7-16, 2016, pretty much spoiled me forever, and I've noticed I don't have the same drive to see as many concerts as I used to.
Without nitpicking over the details of who was best or worst, etc. (Neil, Roger Waters, and the Who were the best both weekends winking smiley), it was like living in a rock and roll dream.
I'm much more picky and frugal with who I'll see and where I'll go, and will only see bands/artists that I've never seen and always wanted to (Paul Simon), or bands/artists that I know will guarantee a good time from past experiences (Neil, Dylan, ZZ Top, Jeff Beck, etc.). Also, going to see Los Lobos in a couple of weeks at a small theater that's about a 30 minute drive from where I live and tickets were cheap - they always put on a good show. So certain scenarios like that I'll always be game for, but if I had to drive down to L.A. through the hellish traffic to see them (about 60 miles away), might think twice about it. That said, going to the Hollywood Bowl in August to see ELO who I saw at the Fonda Theater a few years ago - they were great. My wife couldn't make it, so she begged to see them at the Bowl - gotta keep the wife happy! Also ZZ Top in Vegas - my wife loves Vegas and I love ZZ Top - it's a win win!

I agree. Those who attended Desert Trip are like a secret society. Probably similar in many ways to those who attended Woodstock or some other epic event. I still go to lots of music since that is my vice. This will be my fourth trip to UK in 8 years to see music. Granted, I am going to tape shows so I tend to go see shows I am less interested in for the sport of it. I expect, if things continue as planned that I will see 120 to 140 bands/performances in 2018 which is largely due to festivals. I expect I will get to see Neil once or twice assuming he tours since I live in Norcal.

Date: March 2, 2018 15:53

Another Neil Calif. Date

Date: March 2, 2018 16:15

Where and when?

Date: March 2, 2018 16:25

bye bye johnny
Where and when?

pollstar.com

click on neil young

Date: March 2, 2018 16:59

No offense, but if you're going to post "information", don't make people go look for it.

The only date listed on Pollstar is "Light Up The Blues". That info was previously posted in this thread.

[iorr.org]

Date: March 2, 2018 17:14

bye bye johnny
No offense, but if you're going to post "information", don't make people go look for it.

The only date listed on Pollstar is "Light Up The Blues". That info was previously posted in this thread.

[iorr.org]

Ok...but 2 dates the one you just posted and the one above.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 2, 2018 17:54

daspyknows
Hairball

I agree. Those who attended Desert Trip are like a secret society. Probably similar in many ways to those who attended Woodstock or some other epic event. I still go to lots of music since that is my vice. This will be my fourth trip to UK in 8 years to see music. Granted, I am going to tape shows so I tend to go see shows I am less interested in for the sport of it. I expect, if things continue as planned that I will see 120 to 140 bands/performances in 2018 which is largely due to festivals. I expect I will get to see Neil once or twice assuming he tours since I live in Norcal.

I also agree... I thought Desert Trip was a great show each act better then the previous acts..thought there might be a a Desert Trip 2 but no go. It was great seeing top notch acts every night each one amazing

Date: March 7, 2018 18:43

"Paradox" promo poster:

[www.musicboxtheatre.com]

Date: March 7, 2018 19:00

Cover & Track Listing: PARADOX Soundtrack Album - Neil Young + Promise Of The Real, April 20 Release

Track Listing:

01. MANY MOONS AGO IN THE FUTURE
02. SHOW ME
03. PARADOX PASSAGE 1
04. HEY
05. PARADOX PASSAGE 2
06. DIGGIN' IN THE DIRT – CHORUS
07. PARADOX PASSAGE 3
08. PEACE TRAIL
09. POCAHONTAS
10. COWGIRL JAM
11. ANGEL FLYING TOO CLOSE TO THE GROUND
12. PARADOX PASSAGE 4
13. DIGGIN’ IN THE DIRT
14. PARADOX PASSAGE 5
15. RUNNING TO THE SILVER EAGLE
16. BABY WHAT YOU WANT ME TO DO?
17. PARADOX PASSAGE 6
18. OFFERINGS
19. HOW LONG?
20. HAPPY TOGETHER
21. TUMBLEWEED

[neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 7, 2018 19:05

Great! Thanks, bye bye johnny!

Date: March 7, 2018 21:01

Neil's "only" 2018 Canadian date announced today - July 6 at Festival D'été de Québec.

[www.infofestival.com]

Schedule has Lukas Nelson & Promise Of The Real preceding Neil, but would guess they'll be playing with him as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-07 21:02 by bye bye johnny.

Date: March 7, 2018 21:06

Thanks bye bye johnny. thumbs up

Wondering where and how I can pre-order the soundtrack?

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 7, 2018 23:15

Wow, here's a guy who is productive! Even if one doesn't like everything Neil releases one still has to acknowledge that he is putting out albums as if this were still the 70s or 80s!

Date: March 7, 2018 23:25

doitywoik
Wow, here's a guy who is productive! Even if one doesn't like everything Neil releases one still has to acknowledge that he is putting out albums as if this were still the 70s or 80s!

Indeed.
And considering the health issues he had about 10 years ago (?), it's really miraculous to see him constantly working away.
God bless Neil, always an inspiration. thumbs up

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home