Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 49
Re: OT: Neil Young / Promise of the Real
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 2, 2017 19:52

Neil's new album is up on utoob. Discovered this while checking that. Forgot how much I liked the Greendale album and tour. Cool stuff. Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 2, 2017 20:04

dmay
Neil's new album is up on utoob. Discovered this while checking that. Forgot how much I liked the Greendale album and tour. Cool stuff. Enjoy.

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

We're part of the small percentage that likes that album and tour - I saw it at the Santa Barbara Bowl, and there was some bewilderment and confusion amongst many in attendance.
One of the most unique shows I've seen by anyone. thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 2, 2017 21:22

Hairball
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

We're part of the small percentage that likes that album and tour - I saw it at the Santa Barbara Bowl, and there was some bewilderment and confusion amongst many in attendance.

I saw 3 shows on the Greendale tour, at different points. All were great although 1 wasn't really a Greendale show. They did a song or 2 but the venue was too small (the Joint before remodel) for the sets. Instead we got 3 hours of just about every Crazy Horse song you would ever want to hear. Bummer. Not!!!!! grinning smiley

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 2, 2017 22:27

Hairball
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

Add me to the list...saw the Greendale tour first at the Greek, then a few months later again at the Shrine Auditorium. Really enjoyed it - one of those rare times I went out and bought the album after first hearing the songs in concert.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 2, 2017 22:34

Jah Paul
Hairball
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

Add me to the list...saw the Greendale tour first at the Greek, then a few months later again at the Shrine Auditorium. Really enjoyed it - one of those rare times I went out and bought the album after first hearing the songs in concert.

Loved the concert and album as well..
Saw it in the Seattle area, was mesmerized, very unique!

Re: OT: Neil Young
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 2, 2017 23:18

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 2, 2017 23:22

crholmstrom
Hairball
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

I saw 3 shows on the Greendale tour, at different points. All were great although 1 wasn't really a Greendale show. They did a song or 2 but the venue was too small (the Joint before remodel) for the sets. Instead we got 3 hours of just about every Crazy Horse song you would ever want to hear. Bummer. Not!!!!! grinning smiley

Damn, what a concert!

[www.setlist.fm]

1. Love to Burn
2. Sedan Delivery
3. Goin' Home
4. Cowgirl in the Sand
5. Welfare Mothers
6. Mr. Soul
7. Country Home
8. Homegrown
9. Cinnamon Girl
10. @#$%&' Up
11. Cortez the Killer
12. Rockin' in the Free World

Encore:
13. Sun Green
14. Be the Rain
15. Sun Green
16. The Loner

Encore 2:
17. Powderfinger
18. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 3, 2017 18:50

I loved Greendale album and tour-- The encore was maybe the loudest concert experience I've ever had (was in the 4th row or so). They just stood in a small circle facing each other and blasted through a handful of old CH songs and my ears just bloody hurt from that for a long time afterward. I passed on the new record due to that one really bad song NY released earlier in the year. I'll check it out at some point online, though.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: December 3, 2017 18:55

Neil Young
Coronation Hall
Omemee, Ontario, Canada
December 1, 2017

[www.guitars101.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2017 19:43

As it's NY week here's a gem from 1989 the "comeback" year :

[www.youtube.com]

And yes it's (quasi) Stones-related!

Date: December 3, 2017 20:18

dcba
As it's NY week here's a gem from 1989 the "comeback" year :

[www.youtube.com]

And yes it's (quasi) Stones-related!

That was a smokin' hot version I remember watching live - Neil in all his ragged glory ripping it to shreds.
Neil Young and the Winos meets Crazy Horse!!!

From Rolling Stone magazine (from 25 greatest SNL performances list):

Neil Young: September 30th, 1989

After nearly a decade of experimental music and commercial flatlining, Young came thrashing back with a kinetic, distortion-soaked performance of "Rockin' in the Free World,"
looking like a heavy-metal scarecrow and setting the stage for a career rebirth. "I had my trainer, and we just lifted weights and I did calisthenics [in my dressing room]
to get my blood to the level it would be at after performing for an hour and 25 minutes," said Young.

And from thrasherswheat.com:

20th Anniversary of Saturday Night Live Performance of "Rockin' In The Free World"

Twenty years ago today, on September 30, 1989, Neil Young served notice that he was back with a vengeance with his legendary performance of Rockin' In The Free World on Saturday Night Live. There are many, many defining moments in Neil Young's career. His appearance on SNL was another such occasion.

Considered to be one of the most intense live television studio performances ever, Young seemed possessed as he throttled his Les Paul guitar and shredded its strings before the audience. Wearing a Elvis Presley T-shirt, Young seemed to be bridging his 1970's classic "Hey, Hey, My, My" with the lyrics "The King [Elvis] is gone but not forgotten, this is the story of Johnny Rotten" with the end of the 1980's and the impending advent of the grunge-alternative music explosion.

Later, Young commented that he worked with a trainer before going onstage to work himself up to the encore intensity level when he normally performs the song after 2 hours on stage. Neil came on the set as if he had just performed the concert of his life and went from there. The song was selected as one of the best of Saturday Night Live musical performances of all time in broadcasts later in the 1990's for the 25th anniversary.

Critics were ecstatic about Young's return to form based on just the single broadcast and it marked a critical turning point in Neil's career. Jimmy McDonough writes in a Village Voice interview:

"With the September 30 appearance on Saturday Night Live, Young arrested any signs of rust - at least for the moment. Backed by Charlie Drayton, Steve Jordan, and longtime sideman Frank 'Poncho' Sampedro - a new band Young's tentatively calling Young, CS&P - he was all over the stage, jumping on the drum stand, lunging out of camera range, whipping off earsplitting solos that sounded like falling power lines. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard on TV, the lyrics to 'Rockin' in the Free World' barely audible. This is easily his best band since Crazy Horse".

Just the look on his face was enough. He really seemed insane.

YOUNG: 'Yeah, well I was. I don't like TV. Never have. It always sucks and there's nothing you can do about it. You can't just walk on and do 'Rockin' in the Free World,' or you'll look like a @#$%&' idiot. To perform that song the way it's supposed to be performed you have to be at peak blood level, everything has to be up, the machine has to be stoked. To do that I had to ignore Saturday Night Live completely. I had to pretend I wasn't there.'
So Young developed 'a brand new technique for doing TV' - a half-hour before going on he worked out with his trainer, lifting weights and doing calisthenics to get himself wired.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: December 3, 2017 21:40

Wow! What a fantastic performance of Rockin' In The Free World. What's amazing, interesting, IMHO, is that the song is still relevant today.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 3, 2017 21:47

Hairball
Neil in all his ragged glory ripping it to shreds.

Have you noticed that at the very end of the vid he pulls his Bibgby arm wildly and break half the strings of his guitar! eye popping smiley

Not all comebacks are equal : the Stones and Neil had a return to from in 1989 byut imho Neil's was wilder more organic more exciting.

Date: December 4, 2017 00:03

RollingFreak
crholmstrom
Hairball
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

Damn, what a concert!

[www.setlist.fm]

1. Love to Burn
2. Sedan Delivery
3. Goin' Home
4. Cowgirl in the Sand
5. Welfare Mothers
6. Mr. Soul
7. Country Home
8. Homegrown
9. Cinnamon Girl
10. @#$%&' Up
11. Cortez the Killer
12. Rockin' in the Free World

Encore:
13. Sun Green
14. Be the Rain
15. Sun Green
16. The Loner

Encore 2:
17. Powderfinger
18. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)

Ya, that is right up there on the all time best concerts that I've seen list. & I think the Joint only had a capacity of about 1200 back then. When Neil whipped out "The Loner", I turned to the woman I had been chatting up & said "I almost came". She looks down & says "I think I did!". grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 4, 2017 04:54

bye bye johnny
Neil Young: Home Town

Unfortunately it was already taken down, but it can be watched on this link: [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 4, 2017 05:07

Cristiano Radtke
bye bye johnny

Unfortunately it was already taken down, but it can be watched on this link: [www.youtube.com]

It's still pinned on his facebook Cristiano!

Neil Young

Date: December 4, 2017 17:45

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke
bye bye johnny

It's still pinned on his facebook Cristiano!

Neil Young

Great! Thank you, Hairball! smileys with beer

Date: December 4, 2017 21:49

I just cried watching that SNL performance. Seen it many times, but @#$%&, thats Neil @#$%& Young!!!

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 7, 2017 23:51

Neil Young, Hometown airing again on Sunday at 9pm on CTV in Canada.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 8, 2017 15:36

All this talk about that SNL performance has me nostalgic. I remember very well watching that one live when I was in college. I remember thinking, Holy moly, Neil Young is totally on fire.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: December 12, 2017 03:43

Wow. Just watched Hometown. That was exceptional. His voice is still strong and he's funny as hell. Very unique performance. And great selection of songs.

Date: December 22, 2017 02:14

10 Deep Cuts From The Neil Young Archives

1. Mynah Birds, “It’s My Time”/”Go On and Cry” (1966)
2. Homegrown (1975)
3. Chrome Dreams (1977)
4. Oceanside-Countryside (1978)
5. Solo Trans (1984)
6. In a Rusted Out Garage (1986)
7. Eldorado EP (1989)
8. Arc (1991)
9. Toast (2001)
10. Alchemy (2012)

[www.billboard.com]

Date: December 22, 2017 04:58

I've been listening to the new release off and on since getting it last week, and have to say it's not as bad as some claimed! Funnily enough though, the worst song is the first one that was released a few months back - Children of Destiny. It sounds like a crappy theme song from a crappy musical with crappy singers singing crappy lyrics. But aside from that enjoying most of it - or at least trying to. Almost Always is a weaker version of From Hank to Hendrix - nice tune though. Carnival would have been great if Neil wasn't singing/narrating in a bizarre manner (reminds me of the Monster Mash), but it kind of grows on you, and the band - especially drum and bass - are kicking it down! But then another stinker with When Bad Got Good...should have been titled When Bad Got Worse - Neil sounds like a chimpanzee when singing the title lines. Stand Tall is OK, but a bit similar to the corny Children of Destiny - although the tune and instrumentation are much better. Fly By Night Deal is Neil as grumpy old man - shouting out orders - also similar to Children of Destiny musically. Digging a Hole is an alright/average bluesy tune, and is reminiscent of some earlier Neil stuff...could have fit in on Tonights the Night. I like Change of Heart - probably my favorite on this - a nice saga that's a bit reminiscent of an old Johnny Cash tune - in fact Johnny could have made this a great one. Finally the mellow Forever - a very nice tune, yet at over 10 minutes it's probably seven or eight minutes too long. All in all been fun listening to it all, and will continue to listen start to finish until I'm totally sick of it (probably in a week or so). Will always like a couple of the tunes, but none of it can compare and/or doesn't live up to the legend - I think those days are a thing of the past for Neil.

Looking forward to the new tour - Neil in a live setting - that's where he continues to shine. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-22 04:59 by Hairball.

Date: January 10, 2018 16:16

Roxy Live: Next Release From Neil Young's Online Archives?

As you may recall, last month we speculated on what might be coming next from Neil Young's Online Archives.

Now we have learned via Rusted Moon that an album "CRAZY HOSS ROXY LIVE" is in "production". "Roxy Live" will be live recordings of six shows from The Roxy, Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood, Los Angeles, CA when Neil Young played with the "Santa Monica Flyers" (CRAZY HOSS) from 20 to 22 September 1973. See Sugar Mountain | Neil Young Setlists for details.

Typical setlists during the run: Tonight's The Night / Mellow My Mind / World On A String / Speakin' Out / Albuquerque / New Mama / Roll Another Number / Tired Eyes / Tonight's The Night // Cowgirl In The Sand

So, it turns out that what we once thought was "fake news" now may turn it not to have been as far off the mark as we feared. Stan, will you accept our apologies? BTW, we never did hear back from you on the source of the "fake album image". Please get in touch Stan.

[neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org]

Date: January 12, 2018 19:49

Cristiano Radtke
Typical setlists during the run: Tonight's The Night / Mellow My Mind / World On A String / Speakin' Out / Albuquerque / New Mama / Roll Another Number / Tired Eyes / Tonight's The Night // Cowgirl In The Sand

So basically the Tonight's The Night album as the main set with a Cowgirl encore lol? Can't complain about that!

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 12, 2018 21:06

Hairball
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

Greendale is one of my favorite Neil Young albums. And I think there are many who love that album.

Date: January 12, 2018 21:26

Whale
Hairball
dmay

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks.

Greendale is one of my favorite Neil Young albums. And I think there are many who love that album.

Maybe so, but mostly diehards. I know alot of people who don't like it at all - my sister and bro-in-law saw one of the Greendale shows. Both loved Neil Young as casual fans prior to that as most everyone I know does who grew up with him, but they were 100% disappointed in the concert - they just couldn't relate to the entire concept. When Neil came around a couple years later with Crazy Horse, I tried to convince them that this would be the show they were hoping for, but they didn't even bother...the Greendale tour and album left it's mark on them. And with the many times he's come around since then - whether acoustic solo or with Promise of the Real, etc., they won't even take a chance, and nothing I say will convince them. They'll always equate Neil Young with Greendale, and I guess they're unable to shake off the bad memory they experienced. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink it...they're loss.

Date: January 12, 2018 22:18

Admittedly that sounds very specific to them and a bit close minded, although I fully understand where they are coming from. But if they listened to someone like you that would have their best interests and enjoyment at heart that should be enough. If it wasn't, setlists should be convincing. As you say, their loss, but I just feel thats too much on them than the average concertgoer to completely shut him down after that show. I understand people that aren't fans of his at all, but those that are casual fans and know diehard Neil fans they can trust seems odd for them never to return.

As for Greendale, its completely understandable why many would be turned off. Its a strange album (a good one, but a grower) and if you weren't prepared for that tour then I understand how anyone that wasn't a diehard was turned off. Even some diehards were. Not to the point that they turned their back on Neil, but essentially turned a blind eye to the record and tour though. Even for Neil that tour was a lot to take in, especially if you were unprepared for the format and didn't like the album. I think its looked at more fondly than when first released when people possibly wanted something different from Crazy Horse's first album in nearly 10 years with Neil.

Date: January 12, 2018 23:09

I wonder how close we are to getting Neil / Promise of the Real summer tour dates?

I am actually holding off on a few other events waiting to see what Neil does.

It has to be getting close to time to release dates.

Date: January 13, 2018 01:53

jumpontopofmebaby
I wonder how close we are to getting Neil / Promise of the Real summer tour dates?

I am actually holding off on a few other events waiting to see what Neil does.

It has to be getting close to time to release dates.

Better than having to cough up money a year in advance though (I'm talking to you Foo Fighters! Their Seattle show is Labor Day weekend @ Safeco Field. While the GA/field tickets are gone, the sales for other seats are soft).

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 49

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home