Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
The Pit Experience
Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 17, 2017 12:49

Sorry, but I haven't really been following the descriptions of the pit experience. If you are a short, little female (I am), is it a good idea or will I be pushed to the back and totally unable to see? I do have seats but they're not very good and I'm reconsidering assuming they're available for 10/19 and/or 10/22

Re: The Pit Experience
Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 17, 2017 13:06

Be there early so you can stand against the railing near the catwalk. Excellent view guaranteed. Nobody is in front of you.

Or wait for the empty pit to open (that'll open about 5-10 minutes before the support act). So you can storm in. But you'll be not alone there waiting, so exercise your punches.

If not, just stand in the back of the pit, you'll have a better view than standing in between all those smelly stones fans.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 13:08 by BowieStone.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 17, 2017 13:16

(Besides being really close to the stage) The best thing about the pit is that the pit isn't very densly packed with people. Thus there's no pushing and you can even change your position during the show.

Date: October 17, 2017 13:21

slewan
(Besides being really close to the stage) The best thing about the pit is that the pit isn't very densly packed with people. Thus there's no pushing and you can even change your position during the show.

It wasn't densely packed in Stockholm, but I thought it was pretty packed in Amsterdam & Arnhem.

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: October 17, 2017 13:29

BowieStone
slewan

It wasn't densely packed in Stockholm, but I thought it was pretty packed in Amsterdam & Arnhem.

Still I would recommend pit, even for someone who is not that tall.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 17, 2017 13:29

BowieStone
slewan

well, I didn't think it was densly packed in Arnhem (maybe in the first 5 rows but not behind them). At least it was much less densly packed than the regular standing in Düsseldorf.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: October 17, 2017 13:43

It wasn't densely packed on Keith's side in Arnhem. For shorter people, I would recommend moving towards the back of the pit: a) there is lots of room, so you can move around to get a good view; b) if you are too close to the catwalk, you may not be able to see over it to the other side of the stage.

(incidentally, I was amazed at how short the crowd was in the Stockholm pit. I am very tall (6'4"), but I was at least 6" taller than 90% of the people in the pit. Completely uninterrupted view. Arnhem... not so much - still had a great view though).

syrel

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 17, 2017 13:45

Thank you everyone.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: October 17, 2017 14:13

It is invaluable for the eyes but the sound could be iffy, with some echo.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: October 17, 2017 15:41

syrel
It wasn't densely packed on Keith's side in Arnhem. For shorter people, I would recommend moving towards the back of the pit: a) there is lots of room, so you can move around to get a good view; b) if you are too close to the catwalk, you may not be able to see over it to the other side of the stage.

(incidentally, I was amazed at how short the crowd was in the Stockholm pit. I am very tall (6'4"), but I was at least 6" taller than 90% of the people in the pit. Completely uninterrupted view. Arnhem... not so much - still had a great view though).

syrel

So that was you!! moody smiley angry smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 17, 2017 19:36

6'3" here so expect some competition on Thursday ;-)

Anyway thanks for the feedback here. Can you no longer go from one side to the other by walking under the catwalk?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: MrsEdithGrove ()
Date: October 17, 2017 19:53

The stage is surprisingly high so if you are anywhere near the front you can’t see the other side of the stage at all

Date: October 17, 2017 20:03

Not as high as Dubai I hope, people were really upset over there, can't remember if it was a tongue pit, probably not.

Although I'm tall I don't remember being able to see the immediate other side of the catwalk, neither at the SDF 2014 or HP 2013.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-17 23:44 by gotdablouse.

Date: October 17, 2017 21:35

I've had no problem seeing over the catwalk, but it is on a slope so it is highest at the very front, where I've not been so don't know if it is too high at that point.

Gotdablouse, you can get between the two sides. At most gigs it has been a shortcut underneath the catwalk, but at least one show it was two separate entrances at either end of the stage.

syrel

Date: October 17, 2017 23:45

Ah ok, so that passage gets opened once both sections can be accessed I suppose ?

--------------

Date: October 18, 2017 00:37

gotdablouse
Ah ok, so that passage gets opened once both sections can be accessed I suppose ?

No, it’s open when only one pit is open. Once they open the other pit they close the passage.

Date: October 18, 2017 00:42

I must be missing something then ? Why would be people go queue up on the other side if they can access that side from the other one that's already open ?

--------------

Date: October 18, 2017 00:46

I'm not 100% sure what's being asked now, but to try to clarify my experience:
Dusseldorf - separate entrances for either side of the pit, entrances at the far side of each stage
Arnhem - walkway under the catwalk connecting both sides of the pit. Entrance via Keith's side only, but actual Keith part of pit was cordoned off until Ronnie's side was full. So early arrivers had to walk past Keith pit, under catwalk and into Ronnie pit.

syrel

Date: October 18, 2017 00:59

gotdablouse
I must be missing something then ? Why would be people go queue up on the other side if they can access that side from the other one that's already open ?

No no, you can’t access the other pit. You have to walk through it to the other pit.

So if you want a place near a railing, but those are already taken, you have to wait til the other pit opens to get a second chance.

That other pit normally opens a couple of minutes before the support act.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 18, 2017 01:05

So bizarre...

In Spielberg you could access both sides of the Pit from the respective two far sides right from the start. Open walkway under the catwalk to freely move from Ronnie's side to Keith's side and vice versa during the day and during the warm-up acts up until shortly before the Stones. Then the underneath catwalk was barricaded off. The system worked beautifully.

Sorry it hasn't been the same lately.
confused smiley

Date: October 18, 2017 01:08

Oh I see, you can go from one side to the other but not actually enter the pit, using this picture from Arnhem you would walk under the section where the catwalk starts at the foot of the actual stage ?

What's strange is that there doesn't seem to be any separation between Gold and the Pit queue ? Mustn't make it easy to "filter" people in...

As a side note the catwalk seems like it's shorter than the one used at HP in 2013 or in Europe in 2014 ?

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-18 01:09 by gotdablouse.

Date: October 18, 2017 01:18

Yes, that’s how it works.

So you could enter on Keiths side (on this pic) but you are demanded to walk to Ronnies side

or you can wait there.

Date: October 18, 2017 10:30

gotdablouse

What's strange is that there doesn't seem to be any separation between Gold and the Pit queue ? Mustn't make it easy to "filter" people in...

Correct. When they opened Keith's side in Arnhem we completely overwhelmed the security staff and they couldnnot check wristbands. They had to walk around the pit afterwards checking if people had wristbands or not.

I still can't work out why they are doing this.

Date: October 18, 2017 11:39

Incredibly amateurish indeed...did some get dragged out of the pit due to the lack of a wristband ? ;-)

--------------

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: October 18, 2017 12:12

Hi Steffialicia,
I have not been in the pit, but I know from experience that, even if you are very close to the stage, any height advantage you can give yourself can mean the difference between a good view and a poor one (and a poor view can put a damper on your good time). I suggest wearing flats for walking and bringing a pair of high heels in your bag to put on right before the show. Find some that you can dance in without falling over. Believe it or not, I saw one petite gal using an 8" high folding step stool during a Zip Code gig. She said that security had no problem with it. That may not fly in Paris, but surely high heels will be allowed (probably encouraged - ooh la la smiling smiley) Hope you have a great time!

Date: October 18, 2017 12:20

gotdablouse
Incredibly amateurish indeed...did some get dragged out of the pit due to the lack of a wristband ? ;-)

I saw one guy get walked back to premium standing

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 18, 2017 12:33

I know its horrible for short people standing at shows, but being 6 feet 2'' has always been a problem for people behind me, i find myself throughout my life at concerts etc giving my space to shorter people behind me when i hear their negative comments about my height how i am spoiling their view. Its always said in a loud voice so they know i can hear them, but its usually said in a non aggressive way as not to cause offence .
Everybody has to be somewhere my wife will say to them, but more often than not i will let women or a short couple go in front of me, only to get groans from the next set of people behind me sad smiley

Such is life winking smiley

Date: October 18, 2017 13:11

stone4ever
I know its horrible for short people standing at shows, but being 6 feet 2'' has always been a problem for people behind me, i find myself throughout my life at concerts etc giving my space to shorter people behind me when i hear their negative comments about my height how i am spoiling their view. Its always said in a loud voice so they know i can hear them, but its usually said in a non aggressive way as not to cause offence .
Everybody has to be somewhere my wife will say to them, but more often than not i will let women or a short couple go in front of me, only to get groans from the next set of people behind me sad smiley

You end up in the back, then? winking smiley

Date: October 18, 2017 13:46

I try not to walk into a space immediately in front of someone and block their view, but if they turn up and stand behind me, that's their problem smoking smiley

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 18, 2017 13:53

DandelionPowderman
stone4ever

You end up in the back, then? winking smiley

Yeah something like that winking smiley
I just like a quite life, anything to keep the peace sad smiley

You can feel their eyes boring into the back of your head from behind, why did i have to be behind you haha

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-18 13:55 by stone4ever.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home