Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT : STEELY DAN - First Show Since Walter Becker's Death
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 23, 2017 18:49

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

They did stop.

However, they (David?) couldn't resist the temptation of £££££££ when they were offered huuuuge stadium-gigs several years later.

Sort of maybe, but they never really officially stopped and it's all a bit of a soap opera. It was only Roger Waters who publicly stated "Pink Floyd will not reunite" after each of the members were doing solo albums mid '80's, but the others in the band didn't feel the same way about that. They fought over the use of the name Pink Floyd in which David Gilmour et al won vs. Roger Waters in 1985. They (Gilmour/Pink Floyd) then recorded and released a studio album - A Momentary Lapse of Reason which was released within two years of the lawsuit in 1987- coupled with a giant tour. The second album came in '94 followed by another enormous tour. They (Gilmour Floyd) even released a third studio album as recently as 2014 - scraping bits and pieces from the barrel that featured keyboard bits from Rick Wright who died back in 2008.

«Mid-80s» was 1983, right after the appropriately titled The Final Cut.

I'm pretty sure David was offered lots of money for an album and a tour, which took place 4 (album) and 5 (tour) years later. This hiatus was even longer than the Stones's.

I haven't read anywhere that they planned to make albums or go on tour after The Final Cut before Michael Cohl came along. They did want to have control over the brand name, though..

Along with the temptation of money, it was also a big F*ck you to Roger for trying to prevent them from carrying on without him. Gilmour and the rest probably would have continued on as Pink Floyd no matter what as each of their solo albums weren't very successful. Not every detail of a bands motives or ideas of future endeavors are publicly documented so we're left to speculate, but to say you haven't read about it isn't saying much,
just as I can't state as fact that they always planned on recording an album and touring immediately after Roger left the band. The fact is though, they never technically stopped... hiatus yes, stop no. In other words, like the Stones, there was never a "reunion" per se because there never was a stoppage to begin with.

Edit: While these wiki pages don't give any absolute answers as to whether they literally "stopped" or not, it does give some background and context of the post Roger Pink Floyd.

A Momentary Lapse of Reason album

A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-23 19:19 by Hairball.

Date: October 23, 2017 19:26

We don't really disagree here, Hairball smiling smiley

Date: October 23, 2017 19:30

True enough Dandelion. thumbs up

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 23, 2017 20:18

keefriff99
It was a fantastic show, as expected. Donald Fagen looks all of his 69 years, but he still sings and plays flawlessly, and was in a cheerful, raucous mood throughout the evening, imploring us all to keep the energy up on a Sunday night. There was a touching video tribute to Walter Becker while the band played one of his solo songs (Book of Liars).

Keith Carlock on drums is indeed a revelation...one of the best live drummers I've ever seen. Flawlessly precise with impeccable traditional grip technique.

So, was it Steely Dan I saw or Donald solo? All I know is a few thousand people came to see Steely Dan and were on their feet cheering and applauding at the end. We all left satisfied.

Excellent, glad you had a great time

And since this touring version of Steely Dan had been together since 2000, I’m sure it was Steely Dan you saw...Fagen toured with a different band altogether...I think only one of the back-up singers joined him on his solo tour. The one who sang the lead in Dirty Work.

Also read that in July of 2017, Fagen said he’d been writing music for an album, a solo album.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: October 23, 2017 21:19

rattler2004
I think only one of the back-up singers joined him on his solo tour. The one who sang the lead in Dirty Work.

Not quite.

On Fagen's brief solo tour this past summer, "Dirty Work" was sung by guitarist Connor Kennedy.

The name of his backup band was The Nightflyers, and there weren't any Steely Dan members in the band, besides Donald Fagen.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-24 00:31 by schillid.

Date: October 24, 2017 01:31

schillid
rattler2004
I think only one of the back-up singers joined him on his solo tour. The one who sang the lead in Dirty Work.

Not quite.

On Fagen's brief solo tour this past summer, "Dirty Work" was sung by guitarist Connor Kennedy.

The name of his backup band was The Nightflyers, and there weren't any Steely Dan members in the band, besides Donald Fagen.

Ok, but I meant the female back-up singer who sings Dirty Work with Steely Dan, I know she’s recorded (Fagen’s solo releases) and toured with Fagen (as a solo artist)...I didn’t get to see the Nightflyers this past Sept, I had great seats for San Antonio, but that concert was scheduled for that Sunday evening, when we learned that morning that Walter Becker had passed away. That show was cancelled, as well soon after the remaining dates of the tour.

Date: October 24, 2017 03:30

keefriff99
It was a fantastic show, as expected. Donald Fagen looks all of his 69 years, but he still sings and plays flawlessly, and was in a cheerful, raucous mood throughout the evening, imploring us all to keep the energy up on a Sunday night. There was a touching video tribute to Walter Becker while the band played one of his solo songs (Book of Liars).

Keith Carlock on drums is indeed a revelation...one of the best live drummers I've ever seen. Flawlessly precise with impeccable traditional grip technique.

So, was it Steely Dan I saw or Donald solo? All I know is a few thousand people came to see Steely Dan and were on their feet cheering and applauding at the end. We all left satisfied.

Yes Steely Dan...good to hear you enjoyed it...the show must go on. thumbs up

Looking forward to them coming back to California some day - like Dylan and Neil Young, I try to never miss them.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 24, 2017 03:54

Keith carlock is on another planet as a drummer

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: October 24, 2017 05:26

black n blue
Keith carlock is on another planet as a drummer

Finally someone knows what they are talking about. He is, that is for sure.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 24, 2017 06:31

Hairball
keefriff99

Yes Steely Dan...good to hear you enjoyed it...the show must go on. thumbs up

Looking forward to them coming back to California some day - like Dylan and Neil Young, I try to never miss them.
Indeed. I only posed the question because so many people here appeared upset that Fagen is carrying on.

Date: October 24, 2017 06:44

Yeah I know keefriff99 - was just emphasizing that. thumbs up

Date: October 24, 2017 06:58

Speaking of bands with partially intact lineups...I just got back from Guns n' Roses. Maybe I should resurrect that thread and post a quick review.

Re: OT : STEELY DAN - First Shows Since Walter Becker's Death
Posted by: Ronnierocks ()
Date: October 25, 2017 05:07

The Doobie Brothers at The 02 is sold out so there is a demand even though
just one original member.
Remember in years to come heritage acts will be using holograms as no original
members will be around so best to see what you can of them now.
How many bands from the 70s still have all original members?
Sex Pistols
Aerosmith
Must be a couple more?

Re: OT : STEELY DAN - First Shows Since Walter Becker's Death
Date: October 25, 2017 05:11

Ronnierocks
The Doobie Brothers at The 02 is sold out so there is a demand even though
just one original member.
Remember in years to come heritage acts will be using holograms as no original
members will be around so best to see what you can of them now.
How many bands from the 70s still have all original members?
Sex Pistols
Aerosmith
Must be a couple more?
ZZ Top...same three guys since 1969. Never split up unlike Aerosmith when Crespo and Dufay came in on guitar in the early '80s.

Date: October 25, 2017 06:20

keefriff99
Speaking of bands with partially intact lineups...I just got back from Guns n' Roses. Maybe I should resurrect that thread and post a quick review.

Saw them in San Antonio this past Sept...excellent show, I was impressed that they actually started 5 mins early...and they played great show...didn’t ignore any of the Chinese Democracy Stuff, played their butts off...hit the ground running and never let up on the gas. Simply incredible.

I saw them when I was stationed in England, twice and this version of the band was much tighter.

Date: October 25, 2017 06:35

rattler2004
keefriff99

Saw them in San Antonio this past Sept...excellent show, I was impressed that they actually started 5 mins early...and they played great show...didn’t ignore any of the Chinese Democracy Stuff, played their butts off...hit the ground running and never let up on the gas. Simply incredible.

I saw them when I was stationed in England, twice and this version of the band was much tighter.
I enjoyed myself, but it was also a very bloated and self-indulgent show...over 3 hours, with 8 covers.

The execution was flawless...loved Slash and Richard Fortus' playing, Axl was in good spirits and sang great, but did we REALLY need an instrumental version of Wish You Were Here? A guitar version of the Godfather theme? Wichita Lineman by Jimmy Webb??

I guess part of it was that I'm coming down with a head cold, so I opted for industrial quantities of Dayquil rather than drinking beer, and that brought my mood down, plus I was surrounded by drunken idiots holding their phones in my eye line, but I just felt the show could have been pared back to 2, 2 1/2 tight hours of G 'N R music without losing any of the impact.

I do appreciate them giving fans their money's worth though.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1703
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home