Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: Stockholm Sweden 12-Oct-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 14, 2017 20:44

Green Lady
syrel
stone4ever

I think it makes perfect sense for Keith to take a well earned rest and a breather during half of Miss You, if it means as indicated by you, that he plays the second half of the show strong.

If he was feeling under the weather (which is just my theory, based on what I saw and heard - others seemed to have heard a much better show than me) then I agree it would make sense for him to take a breather during Miss You (hell, I wish they would all take a breather during Miss You...) - but you're really just reinforcing my point: he didn't need a sit down in Dusseldorf and gave a very strong performance throughout the show - something seemed a bit off in Stockholm, which I thought was reflected in the performance.

syrel

Mick takes a regular two song break every show and nobody suggests that it's because he's feeling under the weather.

thumbs up Exactly, Keith sings two songs while Mick takes a break, i am very pleased Keith took a rest during Miss You.

By The Way is anyone else tired of Miss You, IORR and Satisfaction. These are three songs i never need to hear live again.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 14, 2017 22:06

Negative reviews by Dean Goodman and (sort of) even BV! Was the show really that bad?

Posted by: raphph ()
Date: October 14, 2017 22:09

EasterMan
Negative reviews by Dean Goodman and (sort of) even BV! Was the show really that bad?

I've been to Hamburg, Lucca and Stockholm so far (Paris next week) and this was easily the best overall in terms of vibe / playing and atmosphere...

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: October 14, 2017 22:44

Green Lady

Mick takes a regular two song break every show and nobody suggests that it's because he's feeling under the weather.

No, because that's what Mick does AT EVERY SHOW, so it is a normal part of the set. Keith sitting down for an extended period is not a normal part of the show, hence me feeling it was something worth raising for people who weren't there (and I see that Dean has also mentioned it in his review). People can get a bit sensitive on this board at any hint of criticism: I was not making a Keith is shot/will never be able to stand up again statement, I was highlighting the oddity of him sitting down during the show, especially one in which I already thought he was a little 'off'. I won't add anything else on the matter, it was not meant to be a big deal.

syrel

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 14, 2017 22:45

EasterMan

A lot has to do with your state of mind, I think.

I was bored out of my mind after 1 hour in Düsseldorf while that show got some raving reviews over here.

For me that show came after a 3 hours drive and our worst tickets of the tour (general standing). Awful sound, drunken guy next to us getting on my nerves, watching the screens and not the band,...

While on the other hand we had pit tickets in Amsterdam & Stockholm (Silver Pit in Hamburg) and absolutely loved those gigs.

So no, it really was not bad. I loved it.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 14, 2017 23:01

"By The Way is anyone else tired of Miss You, IORR and Satisfaction. These are three songs i never need to hear live again".

As I see, here, on the board, there are some folks tired of them (not me, BTW). But Miss You and Satisfaction, as I saw, are exhilarating the crowds...

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 14, 2017 23:01

EasterMan

"It's been a bittersweet tour, flashes of brilliance amid much mediocrity. If only to justify our outrageous expenditures, we persuade ourselves that the Stones will just "keep on keeping on," and maybe they will. But be warned that it's not a pretty sight".

DG [iorr.org]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-14 23:11 by powerage78.

Date: October 14, 2017 23:05

BowieStone
EasterMan

A lot has to do with your state of mind, I think.

I was bored out of my mind after 1 hour in Düsseldorf while that show got some raving reviews over here.

For me that show came after a 3 hours drive and our worst tickets of the tour (general standing). Awful sound, drunken guy next to us getting on my nerves, watching the screens and not the band,...

While on the other hand we had pit tickets in Amsterdam & Stockholm (Silver Pit in Hamburg) and absolutely loved those gigs.

So no, it really was not bad. I loved it.

Heh, BowieStone, it made me smile when I noticed that you were really enthusiastic about Stockholm after you'd been down on Dusseldorf while I was completely the opposite. I agree about state of mind. A snippet of something I posted in the Dusseldorf thread (so you may already have seen it):

"One thing I think about later Stones shows generally (and we might say this is from 1989 onwards, or even earlier) is that if they don't 'grab' you in some way, they can seem pretty dull. I remember hating both Wembley 99 shows because I couldn't connect to them from the back of the stadium, and it seemed like the band were dialling it in. Non-fans think that the band have been dialling it in since 1975. That 'grabbing' is highly dependent on location, acoustics, crowd dynamics and so on. If you're in the wrong place, it's hard to 'get into' a Stones show, but people then view it as a result of the performance, when actually performances are relatively consistent."

I've been thinking about this a bit more since then, and I do think that the scale of the venues that they have played in for so long does create a kind of barrier to overcome. For those who only see the band once every 5-10 years and are happy with the hits and the spectacle it may be is not so important (it's part of what makes a Stones event), but it's a bit different for fans who see multiple shows and know pretty much every song (and sometimes every note) of what they will play.

syrel

Date: October 14, 2017 23:15

Indeed syrel, I read that and I completely agree.
Chances are high that I would have loved the Düsseldorf gig if I was closer to the stage and even more important: better sound. My god that was really terrible.

I rarely witnessed great gigs from the back of an arena or stadium. It's not really a problem in a venue for 5 to 8000 people. Mostly those venues are built for concerts. But in these kind of arenas the stones are playing you got to be close to the stage.
Even venues like the o2 arena can't get the sound right once you're halfway the arena.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-14 23:16 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: October 14, 2017 23:15

powerage78
EasterMan

"It's been a bittersweet tour, flashes of brilliance amid much mediocrity. If only to justify our outrageous expenditures, we persuade ourselves that the Stones will just "keep on keeping on," and maybe they will. But be warned that it's not a pretty sight".

Remind us again how much YOU have spent so far on this tour...

Date: October 14, 2017 23:20

Date: October 14, 2017 23:21

But the Stones are still my fav band after AC/DC...
I have just decided not to see the band live again after 2014.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-14 23:26 by powerage78.

Date: October 14, 2017 23:21

powerage78

So what is this "justify our outrageous expenditures" you are spouting off about ?

Date: October 14, 2017 23:23

: EasterMan
Date: October 14, 2017 22:06

Negative reviews by Dean Goodman.... Was the show really that bad?

No... it was great!
But it seems nothing makes some people happier than saying sad things about the Stones.

This show in Stockholm was great!
There were constantly good scopes that put us up close and IT WAS GREAT!
I was not optimistic about the scopes for this show, and I was not in a good mood, but I showed up here and low and behold it was scope city.... and the band WAS HOT AND ROCKING!! Keith hand Ronnie were very playful, smiles all around... it put me in my best mood. It was fun! All of the posts during the live show are still there. Everyone here agreed it was great! I even joked the naysayers would be sad that the show and band were so good.

The whiners constantly bitching about yadda yadda seem like they are just unhappy life hating grumps, nothing can or does make them happy, except maybe whining about the Stones.

As far as Keef sitting during Miff yous... who cares? I cant fault him for sitting during that song, it is a boring song to me too. It does not highlight Keef, so I guess he takes a pause and he lets Mick and Daryl have the spot light... but of course it can not be that simple, it has to indicate Keith is sick, he is gonna drop dead at any moment, the sky is falling, the Stones should quit now... and all the rest of the BS people love to post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-15 00:28 by Leonioid.

Date: October 14, 2017 23:25

And AC/DC is worth your money?

AC/DC original band members:
Angus Young, period.

That's like Paul McCartney touring as The Beatles.

Date: October 14, 2017 23:26

Keith feel asleep on stage back in the 70s, playing one the lamest Stones songs "Fool to cry", and I agreed with him then too

Date: October 14, 2017 23:28

I just read a review...
smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-14 23:30 by powerage78.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 14, 2017 23:29

powerage78
EasterMan

DG [iorr.org]
BV's review was related to a boring Swedish audience compared to Dusseldorf, for example.

Date: October 14, 2017 23:29

BowieStone
Indeed syrel, I read that and I completely agree.
Chances are high that I would have loved the Düsseldorf gig if I was closer to the stage and even more important: better sound. My god that was really terrible.

I rarely witnessed great gigs from the back of an arena or stadium. It's not really a problem in a venue for 5 to 8000 people. Mostly those venues are built for concerts. But in these kind of arenas the stones are playing you got to be close to the stage.
Even venues like the o2 arena can't get the sound right once you're halfway the arena.

The funny thing is that two of my least favourite Stones gigs were the two where I have been closest (Stockholm and San Diego 2015 - actually it's a bit harsh to say Stockholm is a least favourite, it doesn't come close to how much I disliked the Wembley 99 shows, it was just a bit meh when I had hoped for better) were the ones where I have been closest (5th row in SD, about the equivalent in Stockholm pit), whereas two of my favourites (Dusseldorf and Buffalo 15) I was a little further back (10th row in Buffalo, and about 10-12th row equivalent in Duss), so I'm also coming around to the idea that you can be a little too close and there is a sweet spot just a bit further back. No prizes for guessing where I am heading to tomorrow night...

syrel

Date: October 14, 2017 23:32

What link with this Stones fan review ? Ah yes my pseudo...smoking smiley
BowieStone
And AC/DC is worth your money?

AC/DC original band members:
Angus Young, period.

That's like Paul McCartney touring as The Beatles.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-14 23:36 by powerage78.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2017 01:34

powerage78
EasterMan

DG [iorr.org]

Dean's certainly not pulling any punches in his Stockholm review:

"But any hopes of a spectacular gig were quickly extinguished by both a band and an audience that also seemed to be wondering in unison, "Why do we bother?" The whole experience was lackluster".

"I guess "Sweet Virginia" was the highlight..."

I thought so too, but I still haven't watched the entire show yet via youtube videos - Sweet Virgina was excellent!

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 15, 2017 01:52

Here's Deano........lol>grinning smiley<

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: October 15, 2017 02:07

Hairball
powerage78
EasterMan

DG [iorr.org]

Dean's certainly not pulling any punches in his Stockholm review:

"But any hopes of a spectacular gig were quickly extinguished by both a band and an audience that also seemed to be wondering in unison, "Why do we bother?" The whole experience was lackluster".

"I guess "Sweet Virginia" was the highlight..."

I thought so too, but I still haven't watched the entire show yet via youtube videos - Sweet Virgina was excellent!

I think some of these negative remarks are also a reflection of the concert goers themselves, if someone goes to every show on a ''not perfect'' tour he/she might eventually get a bit bored of seeing the same old set. While someone attending his/hers first show on the tour might think it's great.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 15, 2017 02:32

Sounds to me like the crowd was lame....

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: October 15, 2017 03:04

zeus
Raph_PH, thank you so much, these treasures!

Excellent, many thansk fro sharing, very much appreciated! smileys with beer

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: October 15, 2017 03:09

From Dean Goodman's review:

"Stockholm - a gig I had been looking forward to because I've had some good times over the years in Europe's most civilized capital".

and then: But the crowd was so lame all night............

HAHAHAHAHA.

Well maybe that's what the crowd was expressing after years of civilized swedish governing : Numbness.

Won't go further into this.

I will be dancing and singing in Arnhem tonight.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 15, 2017 04:07

laertisflash
"By The Way is anyone else tired of Miss You, IORR and Satisfaction. These are three songs i never need to hear live again".

As I see, here, on the board, there are some folks tired of them (not me, BTW). But Miss You and Satisfaction, as I saw, are exhilarating the crowds...

Yeah, about 30 years ago I started to lose interest.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: October 15, 2017 04:12

syrel
I was a little further back (10th row in Buffalo, and about 10-12th row equivalent in Duss), so I'm also coming around to the idea that you can be a little too close and there is a sweet spot just a bit further back. No prizes for guessing where I am heading to tomorrow night...

There is no bad seat anywhere in the house if SomeTorontoGirl is sitting next to you.grinning smiley

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: October 15, 2017 12:26

No wonder that journalists have different opinions about the show when the hard core fans at this forum seem to be all over the spectra.
The day after the show almost all posters wrote "best show so far at the tour". Two days after some posters were skeptical. And everybody (well at least some) were running in the other direction.
And both sides from posters I really respect.

I myself experienced a great show from the pit (Keith side) sound wise and atmosphere wise. Keith is Keith and this show he played at a fully acceptable level. For some parts even great.
Sweet Virginia, Midnight Rambler and Street Fighting Man versions were the Top 3 for me. Midnight Rambler has over the years become kind of a trade mark song for the Stones in concert.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-15 12:28 by Thommie.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 15, 2017 13:53

Sorry to say it, but this time I deem completely unfounded the review of Dean Goodman. Band’s performance was powerful at Stockholm IMO.

"Midnight Rambler and Street Fighting Man sounded anemic".
Not in my ears. In addition, I really loved the versions of Brown Sugar, GS and PIB.

"Start Me Up and Jumpin' Jack Flash" required second attempts".
Sporadically, for various reasons it was happening in the past, too. No big deal, to me. As for JJF, especially, I don’t think that Keith started it in a wrong way. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like the reason why Keith stopped the intro refers to his impression that something didn’t work well with the sound system.

"The tour is winding down".
My opinion is diametrically opposite. IMO the tour get stronger after a partly numb beginning.

That’s my opinion.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1627
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home