Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Why Isn't Keith Changing His Song Segment?
Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 12, 2017 08:02

Is this the gorilla in the room no one is talking about? Happy, Slipping Away is all we've gotten on this tour. Oh sorry, he reversed the order of those two at a couple of shows. As recently as 14 On Fire and Zip Code, he was mixing in Before They Make Me Run and You Got The Silver. What gives? Has he forgotten how to play them or that he has other songs (Coming Down Again, Little T&A anybody?). Seems like the Grupenfuhrer is on auto-pilot. C'mon Keef, open up the playbook!

Re: Why Isn't Keith Changing His Song Segment?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2017 08:12

I had briefly mentioned this two shows ago as I found it quite strange myself - no Little T&A, no You Got the Silver, no Before The Make Me Run, not even Thu and Thru.
If he's forgotten how to play those or simply refuses, maybe some more blues covers would be nice to mix things up a little?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 12, 2017 10:01

The Stones set is relative obscure this time around. Or at least it was early in the tour. That's why Keith plays his warhorses, not stuff like Can't Be Seen or Wanna Hold You that 90% of the audience never heard before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 10:08 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 12, 2017 10:15

Javadave
Why Isn't Keith Changing His Song Segment?

Because it's good the way it is.
Happy is one of the best songs ever
And Slipping away is one of the heartfelt songs that also have direction. Keith is giving
everything he has on this song.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: October 12, 2017 10:27

I think it's wise that he didn't change it. It has really been the most surprising part of the show for me – that Keith delivers those tunes consistently on a high level.

I like that they found back to Happy's original tempo, and Slipping Away has been awesome on this tour.

I've never seen Little T+A live, though, but I doubt it would have been superior to this, judging from the Desert Trip and Vegas-versions (some of them were quite good, though).

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 12, 2017 11:48

He could give us 'Run Rudolph Run' as a tribute to old Mr Berry.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 12, 2017 11:58

Because:

- It works so well
- The set is getting better every night
- 99% of the crowd is new every night
- He has done it this way for decades

So there is nothing new here, Keith just gives the crowd his best set for the moment.

Bjornulf

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 12, 2017 12:14

Thru and Thru would be great, an underrated track for mine.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 12, 2017 13:13

The set is obscure?

Very obscure.

Oh, dear.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 12, 2017 13:15

This tour CANNOT be without "Slipping Away" -
together with SFM, it's the absolute highlight of every gig.

As far as I'm concerned, Keith can play whatever song(-s) he feels comfotrtable with -
I'm 'Happy' for every tune he gives us.

And as long as he does (more) backing vocals too, I'm even more happy - might even call it 'delusional'. smoking smiley

Just my 2 cents...

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: October 12, 2017 14:14

Slipping away has been so good this tour. So much feeling. I wouldn't want him to drop it.

I am glad he has kept them both throughout the tour.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 12, 2017 14:19

Why ?? ... well you know how it goes .... It's his party and he'll cry if he wants to...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 14:33

Javadave
Is this the gorilla in the room no one is talking about? Happy, Slipping Away is all we've gotten on this tour. Oh sorry, he reversed the order of those two at a couple of shows. As recently as 14 On Fire and Zip Code, he was mixing in Before They Make Me Run and You Got The Silver. What gives? Has he forgotten how to play them or that he has other songs (Coming Down Again, Little T&A anybody?). Seems like the Grupenfuhrer is on auto-pilot. C'mon Keef, open up the playbook!

I think you are not quite right here. The last time they went to Europe in 2014 he played You got the silver and can't be seen and he didn't even changed the order so that's nothing new for us in Europe.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 12, 2017 14:43

Sorry posted twice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 14:50 by stone4ever.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 12, 2017 14:47

stone4ever
Personally i think Keith hasn't changed his segment because he has been wobbling a bit with his overall performance.

I expect to see him change it now that he is hitting his stride.

I think we will see BTMMR in Paris plus a real surprise, perhaps Coming Down Again. Would be a nice way for Keith to bow out if these next 5 shows are the last. I think these are the last shows we will ever see, for reasons i don't want to express..

Date: October 12, 2017 14:55

Richards used to mix up his 2 songs in the past. Mostly from '95 to '03. He has done it a little bit since then like in South America last year but since 2005,he usually sticks with the same 2 for a good stretch.

In 2005 he stuck with "Infamy" and "The Worst" for the first couple of months before he switched one of them.

I am kind of surprised that he has not gone to any of the 'Bridges to Babylon' songs on which he handles the lead vocals.

Back in 1999,it seemed as though he enjoyed performing "Thief in the Night" and "You Don't Have to Mean It". He even rotated them in at the expense of "You Got the Silver" on the 1999 tour. Could have stuck with "You Got the Silver" every night back then because it was the first year they had ever performed the song live in concert but,yet they still rotated in "Thief in the Night" and "You Don't Have to Mean It".

They did perform "You Don't Have to Mean It" a few times in 2002 and "Thief In the Night" once in 2003 but,have not gone back to them since .... which is surprising to me. Well,I was surprised by that but not really surprised anymore.

Date: October 12, 2017 15:01

It was a big surprise with Can't Be Seen in 2014, though.

And I didn't expect Little T+A in the US.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 15:41

DandelionPowderman

Awwwwww, shit...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 12, 2017 15:59

now that this thread is on here, he'll read it, and decide its probably a good idea to change the songs in his segment

grinning smiley

Date: October 12, 2017 16:29

Well, then I'll happily take the wonderful, lucious ever-train wreck "Can't Be Seen With You". The perfect pitch for lil' ole Pavarichards, me thinks.
Heck, Keith 's always in the moo(-hoo-hoo-hoo-!!)ood for singing...
So whatever song he picks, it's like eternal bliss descending on earth anyway.

(Does that make me a superfan? Hope not... still wouyld like to be taken seriously, over here. smoking smiley )

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 16:34

The last thing Keith needs is to clutter his mind up with 6-7 songs that he needs to practice continuously on tour. Better to have him have two on lockdown at this point.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 12, 2017 17:00

stone4ever
stone4ever
Personally i think Keith hasn't changed his segment because he has been wobbling a bit with his overall performance.

I expect to see him change it now that he is hitting his stride.

I think we will see BTMMR in Paris plus a real surprise, perhaps Coming Down Again. Would be a nice way for Keith to bow out if these next 5 shows are the last. I think these are the last shows we will ever see, for reasons i don't want to express..

Have you not read about the rumours of Knebworth next summer? There's no way the Stones will not play London/UK one last time.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: October 12, 2017 17:13

Bjorn
The set is obscure?

Very obscure.

Oh, dear.

Sympathy as opener, Mr. D, Play With Fire, 2 blues songs for an 80.000 audience was pretty brave I think

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: October 12, 2017 17:22

duke richardson
now that this thread is on here, he'll read it, and decide its probably a good idea to change the songs in his segment

grinning smiley

exactly duke...

Keef will read this thread and say to himself..
"That is such a good idea! Why couldn't I think of that?"...
Then ask he will ask Patti... "Patti, why didn't you give me this idea?!"...
Then he will call Ronnie and ask him...

Then Keef will get down on his hands and knees and thank God that this this thread popped up, otherwise he would have no idea what to do. And after reading more threads and seeing all the other helpful tips posted here, see all the advice givers here, all of the critics here who constantly tell Keef what is wrong with his playing and post all the other things they think is wrong with him, his hair, his habits, all of his perceived faults... AND THEN he will think all of those helpful people should be getting paid for all of this advice.... so from now on all of the constant critics here will be getting a cut of his pay... They can all expect bout treefiddy for being so helpful to Keith.

Wait by your boxes, the cheque is in the mail...

grinning smiley

Date: October 12, 2017 17:58

Leonioid
duke richardson

grinning smiley

exactly duke...

Then Keef will get down on his hands and knees and thank God that this this thread popped up, otherwise he would have no idea what to do. And after reading more threads and seeing all the other helpful tips posted here, see all the advice givers here, all of the critics here who constantly tell Keef what is wrong with his playing and post all the other things they think is wrong with him, his hair, his habits, all of his perceived faults... AND THEN he will think all of those helpful people should be getting paid for all of this advice.... so from now on all of the constant critics here will be getting a cut of his pay... They can all expect bout treefiddy for being so helpful to Keith.

grinning smiley

I feel a private, intimate club concert, just to say "Thank You!!" to all of us, IORRians, coming up... smoking smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 18:25

DandelionPowderman

The way he played it was an even bigger surprise grinning smiley

I'd like to be present at a Little T+A performance sometime. Belter of a track.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: October 12, 2017 18:31

Before they Make Me Run is as classic and as rocking as Happy. I've also been wondering why, if nothing else, he doesn't replace Happy w Before they Make Me Run every 2-3 shows or something like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 18:32 by Gaetzi.

Date: October 12, 2017 18:58

Monsoon Ragoon
Bjorn
The set is obscure?

Very obscure.

Oh, dear.

Sympathy as opener, Mr. D, Play With Fire, 2 blues songs for an 80.000 audience was pretty brave I think

Playing "Dancing With Mr. D" maybe was brave given the types of audiences they play for these days but,it has only been at 3 of the shows since 1973.

Playing "Sympathy for the Devil" anywhere in the set cannot be considered brave. Unless you take into account how they play it these days.

Furthermore,it is a sad commentary on the state of affairs when performing a song,such as "Play With Fire",which appears on multiple hits compilations including Hot Rocks and Big Hits High Tide and Green Grass (performing it one time in 27 years) is considered brave.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: October 12, 2017 19:54

RoughJusticeOnYa
Leonioid
duke richardson

grinning smiley

exactly duke...

grinning smiley

I feel a private, intimate club concert, just to say "Thank You!!" to all of us, IORRians, coming up... smoking smiley

For sure, invitations are going out soon...

and at the gig Keith will play a song and then pass questionnaires to get immediate feedback from all of the local self-appointed experts on how they felt about it and what he did worng and what should be corrected... then he can look the feedback over... and play the song again... and rinse and repeat the process again and again until everyone agrees the song was played to everyone's approval... and then he can move on to the next song.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: October 12, 2017 20:57

As far as 'Coming Down Again' is concerned, didnt Keith say in some interview or so, that, due to the subject of the lyrics, there's no chance he would ever perform it live? I forget if he said that in the 70s or more recently.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home