Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: From Mick Jagger to Mike Love: all hail the money-grabbing men of rock
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 18:29

Interesting article from The Guardian:

[www.theguardian.com]

Re: OT: From Mick Jagger to Mike Love: all hail the money-grabbing men of rock
Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 11, 2017 18:51

I wouldn't call this interesting, in fact I'm angry that I even clicked and read it.

"Mick Jagger is a Mike Love.

Johnny Ramone was a Mike Love.

Roger Waters was a Mike Love

The Mike Loves never get the credit they are due."

Dumb.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: October 11, 2017 19:29

They are all money grabbers. First 10 rows VIP are from $400 to $1200 for a lot of artist. hell "Dancing With The Stars" road show are $400 each up front.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 19:53

the fact jagger and co signed away a very large portion of their best work in the early part of their career for basically peanuts while working very hard in the studio creating over 200 recordings in just over a decade and over 1000 gigs in the same time period mostly in front of small crowds for a meagre gate, and then had to flee the country because they owed so much tax, that they could realistically never earn in a short time frame to pay it off, meaning they had to continue working for a long time before they could earn big money sort of entitles them to take every penny they can get now, and more. i dont grudge them a thing, they have earned it.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 19:55

buttons67
the fact jagger and co signed away a very large portion of their best work in the early part of their career for basically peanuts while working very hard in the studio creating over 200 recordings in just over a decade and over 1000 gigs in the same time period mostly in front of small crowds for a meagre gate, and then had to flee the country because they owed so much tax, that they could realistically never earn in a short time frame to pay it off, meaning they had to continue working for a long time before they could earn big money sort of entitles them to take every penny they can get now, and more. i dont grudge them a thing, they have earned it.
I view the article as being positive towards Mick, and it's the view I've taken of him in recent years. Everyone gets romantic towards Keith's lifestyle, but without Mick's focus and drive, god knows where they'd be today.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 11, 2017 20:05

Mike disagrees. Check out his Hall of fame rant

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 11, 2017 20:18

As for the tired story of a 1,000 years ago 1970-1988 Mick did business while Keith did drugs eye rolling smiley
My take: from 1989 forward (27 years! That's a whole person/ adult ago)
It took on a touring business model / corporation
Board meetings vote yes or no

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 11, 2017 21:00

Kind of a nowhere article, but I was just thinking that Mick, simply by staying in the Stones during the 70's instead of going solo, may have saved Keith's life. If the Stones had broken up then, it's not hard to imagine Keith could have lost his way even more than he did...

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 12, 2017 02:12

I'm just not sure what the point is.

I will not buy the new Mike solo album discussed in the piece. I'm sure it's mediocre to terrible. On the other hand, I never play any of Brian's solo albums, and I bought some of them. I played them once or twice, and they don't appeal to me. I sometimes hear Brian's late '90s solo song "Your Imagination" played on store Musak, and it fits right in. The Beach Boys in their entire history are not rock music. They're pop with a touch of rock, so really not a good comparison to the Stones or the Ramones.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 12, 2017 02:52

Kind of a simplistic story. Tries to praise Mick, but the problem with saying that Mick is all business is it ignores his creative accomplishments.
Sidelight about the Ramones, a friend of mine says the Ramones were the most profitable act in rock because they didn't spend any money on roadies or other overhead and they sold more T-shirts than anybody else.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 12, 2017 11:46

marianna
I'm just not sure what the point is.

I will not buy the new Mike solo album discussed in the piece. I'm sure it's mediocre to terrible. On the other hand, I never play any of Brian's solo albums, and I bought some of them. I played them once or twice, and they don't appeal to me. I sometimes hear Brian's late '90s solo song "Your Imagination" played on store Musak, and it fits right in. The Beach Boys in their entire history are not rock music. They're pop with a touch of rock, so really not a good comparison to the Stones or the Ramones.

The article relates to business acumen, rather than music styles so comparisons seem fair.
I am suprised it doesn't refer to the individual Beatles. Macca has also been critised unfairly for his business acumen, but John and George were pretty hopeless in that regard. If it wasn't for Macca, Klein might well have ended up owning chunks of Beatles/Apple.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1744
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home