Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Likelihood of a US Tour in 2018?
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 13, 2017 03:54

georgelicks
No US shows on cards for 2018, only UK on July/August and 90% of the dates (12) are booked.

No others plans except the new album out sometime next year.

Thanks George - hoping the new album comes to fruition and actually sees the light of day!
As for a return to the US, I made a goof on the page one of thread saying Fall of '17 which is right about now - my mistake! I should have said the Fall of '18 or sometime in the Spring of '19 which is more realistic.
And I believe it was MPJ200 (or is it MPJ2000?) who said there's a possibility of a return to the US depending on various issues. He also seems to have loads of inside info., and is a man to be trusted!

NEVER SAY NEVER! winking smiley

Keep on Rolling...thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 03:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 13, 2017 03:54

Hairball
Olly

Hairball
Yes...Olé, Olé, Olé! Part 2!!! cool smiley

Then back to the US for a Grand Finale Farewell those who want to attend

...however, if any finale was planned it would take place in the UK, that's for sure.

Not so sure about that!

However, I was only referring to a Grand Farewell to the US...the rest of the world is up for grabs.
They might want to have their Grand Finale to the World down in South America where the fans are truly fanatical!

They might not want to have a Grand Finale at all. winking smiley We might not know that X was their last show until later, and neither might they.
[Sorry for edits, having formatting issues!)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 03:57 by Aquamarine.

Date: October 13, 2017 04:10

VoodooLounge13
Hairball
Sighunt
My last Stones show was Buffalo 2015 and I want to remember them for pulling off what I considered to be a great, solid performance that night. Personally, I am scared that if they return to the US (and without an album of new material) and play a sub-par show that I happen to attend, I will be very sad.

Interesting Sighunt and I can relate to your dilemma.
I had a great time seeing the Stones at the two Desert Trip shows - especially weekend two - and I recall saying that I wasn't sure if I want to see them again as it would be hard to top that experience.
Well I took a gamble, and spur of the moment saw them in Vegas with my wife the following week. We happened to be in Vegas for her birthday and as a surprise I bought two heavily discounted tickets the day of show via stubhub. Great floor seats, and was ecstatic to be in the building, but then it kind of went downhill from there. Mick was still very sick after the cancelled show, and the setlist was abbreviated down to 18 songs. He held back singing, didn't have all of his signature moves, he lacked energy, and he simply wasn't himself. Thankfully the backup singers and the rest of the band filled the void, but it was still a far cry from being a great show imo. Can't blame Mick for trying though, but maybe they should have cancelled that as well due to the circumstances. So that's the memory I have of the last time I saw the Stones, but try to forget it and consider Desert Trip II the last time I saw them. I now tack on an asterisk to the *Vegas show whenever I mention it as it was somewhat tainted, and is a blemish on my list of the many Stones shows I've seen throughout the years.

*Indicates short setlist and Mick being sick.

I have a similar tale.....I saw them at Churchill Downs on the ABB Tour - that was my 6th show on that tour, the only time I've ever seen more than 1 show on a tour. I remember my excitement leading up to it, being at that venue with soooooooooo many people; having flown all the way from upstate NY to see them; having tix in the 2nd row; and then only getting Dead Flowers as the lone song I'd not heard live before, but already knowing that that would be played there. It felt almost like a letdown honestly. All that money and prep to see them, and I felt somewhat disappointed. I thought I was done seeing them unless they did something spectacular like bring back Mick Taylor - that could persuade me to go see them again...........and they did, but unfortunately, I was going thru a divorce at the time and all my free money went to attorneys. I missed that tour - the first I'd missed since 1997, when this whole thing took off for me. I simply couldn't afford those ticket prices with all I had going on at the personal front.

It was a long road back from finding myself again, post-divorce. And when they came around on the Zip Code tour, I said to myself, Y'know what?? I'm going to go see the boys again in Buffalo, and I'm going to go alone - prove to myself that not only am I OK, but that I am completely healed. I'd been able to do everything alone and not feel weird or anxious - dining out, sporting events, you name it. But a concert was just unfathomable. However, if there was ONE band that could get me to cross that threshold, it was the mofo Rolling Stones!!!! The band that had become the backbone of my storied life. Tons of people go alone to shows, just to say they were there. I would be no different. And so I went, and that was the last time I've seen them. Buffalo was an absolutely amazing show!!!! One of the best I've seen them do of my 13 shows, and to finally hear Wild Horses after allllll those years, quite literally brought a few tears from my ducts. It was the ultimatum culmination of everything I'd gone thru, and if I hadn't gotten to that show and proven to myself that I could do ANYTHING alone, then I would still be looking to hear that one, one of my top 30 favorite Stones songs. I like knowing that I now have a tremendous end to my Stones concerts.

But I am already plotting in the back of my mind for next summer, fingers, toes, legs, arms, and anything else crossed that they are all able to perform next year. I want more. Once upon a time, I'd wanted to see them 13 times, my lucky number. Well, I'm there. And then I decided I'd like to see them as many times as I have been a fan - that would be 20 years at the moment, so I'd need 8 shows next year (adding 1 year to my total years of being a fan). Not sure I get that many if all these Knebworth rumors prove true, as I'd much rather throw all my money into trying to see all 3 of them together!!

It's an adventure - one many people don't understand, but the sheer happiness that this band brings.....it's all unbelievable, after all this time. And really given the longevity, and their health issues, absolutely no one should be complaining about a damn thing. Every show now is a gift, and if anyone can't see that and appreciate it for what it is, then I would seriously question what makes one feel truly alive. This band - despite any corporate sponsorships and other stuff - has always tried to do what it can for its fans. People on the inside do read this board and some of it trickles thru to the band itself. Let's not forget how we pleaded for Sway, and got it! The band cannot stay in 1968 forever - not a single person breathing can even remain in a single second for another one. Time flows and we all must move with it. One day each of their clocks will stop moving, and that will indeed be four very sad days. But until then, let's each and everyone enjoy whatever they feel like giving to us, their fans, like they have since 1962. I am happy to consider myself a fan of the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World for as long as I've been able to!!

Nice story VoodooLounge13! thumbs up

I go to concerts all the time on my own - but only if I get my wife's permission!
Both Desert Trip weekends are a fine example - I told her it would be dirty like Woodstock and hotter than hell in the desert, and that's all it took - permission granted! winking smiley

And let it be known, my "disappointment" with the *Vegas show is totally tongue-in-cheek. If the "mini" show in *Vegas is the last time I see the Stones, then that's the way the ball bounces.
I've had my fair share and have seen more then enough absolute great shows since 1981 that I'll always have great memories...one bum note in *Vegas can't soil those experiences.
Plus they played Midnight Rambler, and Keith did three songs to fill the void left by Mick's sickness. Really no reason to complain, but the asterisk in *Vegas will always remain! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 04:14 by Hairball.

Date: October 13, 2017 04:13

Aquamarine
Hairball
Olly

Hairball
Yes...Olé, Olé, Olé! Part 2!!! cool smiley

Then back to the US for a Grand Finale Farewell those who want to attend

...however, if any finale was planned it would take place in the UK, that's for sure.

Not so sure about that!

However, I was only referring to a Grand Farewell to the US...the rest of the world is up for grabs.
They might want to have their Grand Finale to the World down in South America where the fans are truly fanatical!

They might not want to have a Grand Finale at all. winking smiley We might not know that X was their last show until later, and neither might they.
[Sorry for edits, having formatting issues!)

Yes I agree...they'll never really anounce a "Grand Finale" of anything, and thank God they never have like so many other bands only return to the stage at a later date (The Who, Eagles, etc.)...

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 13, 2017 04:59

Hairball
VoodooLounge13
Hairball
Sighunt
My last Stones show was Buffalo 2015 and I want to remember them for pulling off what I considered to be a great, solid performance that night. Personally, I am scared that if they return to the US (and without an album of new material) and play a sub-par show that I happen to attend, I will be very sad.

I had a great time seeing the Stones at the two Desert Trip shows - especially weekend two - and I recall saying that I wasn't sure if I want to see them again as it would be hard to top that experience.
Well I took a gamble, and spur of the moment saw them in Vegas with my wife the following week. We happened to be in Vegas for her birthday and as a surprise I bought two heavily discounted tickets the day of show via stubhub. Great floor seats, and was ecstatic to be in the building, but then it kind of went downhill from there. Mick was still very sick after the cancelled show, and the setlist was abbreviated down to 18 songs. He held back singing, didn't have all of his signature moves, he lacked energy, and he simply wasn't himself. Thankfully the backup singers and the rest of the band filled the void, but it was still a far cry from being a great show imo. Can't blame Mick for trying though, but maybe they should have cancelled that as well due to the circumstances. So that's the memory I have of the last time I saw the Stones, but try to forget it and consider Desert Trip II the last time I saw them. I now tack on an asterisk to the *Vegas show whenever I mention it as it was somewhat tainted, and is a blemish on my list of the many Stones shows I've seen throughout the years.

I have a similar tale.....I saw them at Churchill Downs on the ABB Tour - that was my 6th show on that tour, the only time I've ever seen more than 1 show on a tour. I remember my excitement leading up to it, being at that venue with soooooooooo many people; having flown all the way from upstate NY to see them; having tix in the 2nd row; and then only getting Dead Flowers as the lone song I'd not heard live before, but already knowing that that would be played there. It felt almost like a letdown honestly. All that money and prep to see them, and I felt somewhat disappointed. I thought I was done seeing them unless they did something spectacular like bring back Mick Taylor - that could persuade me to go see them again...........and they did, but unfortunately, I was going thru a divorce at the time and all my free money went to attorneys. I missed that tour - the first I'd missed since 1997, when this whole thing took off for me. I simply couldn't afford those ticket prices with all I had going on at the personal front.

It was a long road back from finding myself again, post-divorce. And when they came around on the Zip Code tour, I said to myself, Y'know what?? I'm going to go see the boys again in Buffalo, and I'm going to go alone - prove to myself that not only am I OK, but that I am completely healed. I'd been able to do everything alone and not feel weird or anxious - dining out, sporting events, you name it. But a concert was just unfathomable. However, if there was ONE band that could get me to cross that threshold, it was the mofo Rolling Stones!!!! The band that had become the backbone of my storied life. Tons of people go alone to shows, just to say they were there. I would be no different. And so I went, and that was the last time I've seen them. Buffalo was an absolutely amazing show!!!! One of the best I've seen them do of my 13 shows, and to finally hear Wild Horses after allllll those years, quite literally brought a few tears from my ducts. It was the ultimatum culmination of everything I'd gone thru, and if I hadn't gotten to that show and proven to myself that I could do ANYTHING alone, then I would still be looking to hear that one, one of my top 30 favorite Stones songs. I like knowing that I now have a tremendous end to my Stones concerts.

But I am already plotting in the back of my mind for next summer, fingers, toes, legs, arms, and anything else crossed that they are all able to perform next year. I want more. Once upon a time, I'd wanted to see them 13 times, my lucky number. Well, I'm there. And then I decided I'd like to see them as many times as I have been a fan - that would be 20 years at the moment, so I'd need 8 shows next year (adding 1 year to my total years of being a fan). Not sure I get that many if all these Knebworth rumors prove true, as I'd much rather throw all my money into trying to see all 3 of them together!!

It's an adventure - one many people don't understand, but the sheer happiness that this band brings.....it's all unbelievable, after all this time. And really given the longevity, and their health issues, absolutely no one should be complaining about a damn thing. Every show now is a gift, and if anyone can't see that and appreciate it for what it is, then I would seriously question what makes one feel truly alive. This band - despite any corporate sponsorships and other stuff - has always tried to do what it can for its fans. People on the inside do read this board and some of it trickles thru to the band itself. Let's not forget how we pleaded for Sway, and got it! The band cannot stay in 1968 forever - not a single person breathing can even remain in a single second for another one. Time flows and we all must move with it. One day each of their clocks will stop moving, and that will indeed be four very sad days. But until then, let's each and everyone enjoy whatever they feel like giving to us, their fans, like they have since 1962. I am happy to consider myself a fan of the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World for as long as I've been able to!!

I go to concerts all the time on my own - but only if I get my wife's permission!
Both Desert Trip weekends are a fine example - I told her it would be dirty like Woodstock and hotter than hell in the desert, and that's all it took - permission granted! winking smiley

And let it be known, my "disappointment" with the *Vegas show is totally tongue-in-cheek. If the "mini" show in *Vegas is the last time I see the Stones, then that's the way the ball bounces.
I've had my fair share and have seen more then enough absolute great shows since 1981 that I'll always have great memories...one bum note in *Vegas can't soil those experiences.
Plus they played Midnight Rambler, and Keith did three songs to fill the void left by Mick's sickness. Really no reason to complain, but the asterisk in *Vegas will always remain! winking smiley

Hairball,
I'm sorry - my complaint statement wasn't directed toward you at all. It was more of a generalization to the whole of the board. There have been many complaining about this or that with the tour, and over the years with the albums not living up to this or that. And the band trying to be relevant, etc. Sometimes even I myself make comments that perhaps come off as critical, or negative - such as Mick's rhyme scheme emphasis driving me bonkers. But with all the crap in the world and the sudden passing of people, both celebrities and those of close friends' parents this year, I am all too often reminded of just how short and frail - and precious! - life is, and none of us can, or should, take it for granted, or be complaining. Any day showing up on this side of the dirt, is a great day!!! drinking smiley

Date: October 13, 2017 05:58

VoodooLounge13
Hairball
VoodooLounge13
Hairball
Sighunt

Hairball,
I'm sorry - my complaint statement wasn't directed toward you at all. It was more of a generalization to the whole of the board. There have been many complaining about this or that with the tour, and over the years with the albums not living up to this or that. And the band trying to be relevant, etc. Sometimes even I myself make comments that perhaps come off as critical, or negative - such as Mick's rhyme scheme emphasis driving me bonkers. But with all the crap in the world and the sudden passing of people, both celebrities and those of close friends' parents this year, I am all too often reminded of just how short and frail - and precious! - life is, and none of us can, or should, take it for granted, or be complaining. Any day showing up on this side of the dirt, is a great day!!! drinking smiley

No need to apologize VoodooLounge13 - I didn't think your complaint wasn't directed at me.
I was just clarifying my stance on the *Vegas debacle lol, and letting it be known that any complaints were a bit of an exaggeration.

That being said, the Stones are still a living breathing creative machine, and because they're still in the limelight, they are still open to constructive criticism imo. If someone has a gripe about overpriced tickets or mentions a major screw-up from Keith, etc., it shouldn't necessarily be seen as "complaining" or "whining". Just as if someone always sees everything as perfect, it's all part of the general discussion and is all fair game. I mentioned something similar though just the other day - with all the chaos happening in the real world (death, destruction, etc.), IORR is a safe haven and a great place to share thoughts and ideas with fellow Stones fans - the good, the bad, and the ugly. The bottom line is most of us here truly love the Stones on one level or another, and it's only rock and roll. thumbs up

Keep on rolling...smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 05:59 by Hairball.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 13, 2017 06:09

Hairball
VoodooLounge13
Hairball
VoodooLounge13
Hairball
Sighunt

Hairball,

No need to apologize VoodooLounge13 - I didn't think your complaint wasn't directed at me.
I was just clarifying my stance on the *Vegas debacle lol, and letting it be known that any complaints were a bit of an exaggeration.

That being said, the Stones are still a living breathing creative machine, and because they're still in the limelight, they are still open to constructive criticism imo. If someone has a gripe about overpriced tickets or mentions a major screw-up from Keith, etc., it shouldn't necessarily be seen as "complaining" or "whining". Just as if someone always sees everything as perfect, it's all part of the general discussion and is all fair game. I mentioned something similar though just the other day - with all the chaos happening in the real world (death, destruction, etc.), IORR is a safe haven and a great place to share thoughts and ideas with fellow Stones fans - the good, the bad, and the ugly. The bottom line is most of us here truly love the Stones on one level or another, and it's only rock and roll. thumbs up

Keep on rolling...smileys with beer

I do concur, wholeheartedly, with your statements, Hairball. Sometimes though there seems to be a couple folks that no matter what the band does, it's just never the right thing, and then I get to wondering why they're even here on the board in the first place! I'm not so naïve to expect, or think, that everything is always 1000% rose-tinted, and anything is up for constructive criticism indeed, but by no means is it all Doom and Gloom as some seem to believe or choose to think. That's all.smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: artedm ()
Date: October 13, 2017 06:15

Patriots bigwig Robert Kraft told several hundred lucky guests at his private Rolling Stones concert at Gillette Stadium last night that they were seeing the final show Mick Jagger & Co. will ever do in this country. (USA) 10/25/16

[www.bostonherald.com]

Date: October 13, 2017 06:17

VoodooLounge13
Sometimes though there seems to be a couple folks that no matter what the band does, it's just never the right thing, and then I get to wondering why they're even here on the board in the first place! I'm not so naïve to expect, or think, that everything is always 1000% rose-tinted, and anything is up for constructive criticism indeed, but by no means is it all Doom and Gloom as some seem to believe or choose to think. That's all.smiling bouncing smiley

Agreed VoodooLounge13 - some of those 100% Doom and Gloom folks ought to be branded with a giant "TROLL" across their forehead.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 06:18 by Hairball.

Date: October 13, 2017 06:21

artedm
Patriots bigwig Robert Kraft told several hundred lucky guests at his private Rolling Stones concert at Gillette Stadium last night that they were seeing the final show Mick Jagger & Co. will ever do in this country. (USA) 10/25/16

[www.bostonherald.com]

Robert Kraft is a wealthy moron.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 13, 2017 10:21

Hairball
artedm

[www.bostonherald.com]

Robert Kraft is a wealthy moron.

He may yet prove to be correct.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2017 10:32

You know, the U.K. and U.S. are neck and neck when it comes to the amount of shows performed. With - hopefully - a run of U.K. shows on the horizon, and with time running out, I wonder which nation they'll have performed in the most come the eventual, inevitable, ending?

According to setlistfm, it's 648 performances in the U.K., 658 in the United States.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 10:39 by Big Al.

Date: October 13, 2017 12:28

Big Al
You know, the U.K. and U.S. are neck and neck when it comes to the amount of shows performed. With - hopefully - a run of U.K. shows on the horizon, and with time running out, I wonder which nation they'll have performed in the most come the eventual, inevitable, ending?

According to setlistfm, it's 648 performances in the U.K., 658 in the United States.

The bulk of those UK shows would have been skewed towards the early years of their career when they toured ceaselessly here, big towns and small, often performing 2 shows the same day. After 1966/67 the figures would be very different.

Date: October 13, 2017 12:56

Big Al

I reckon setlistfm hasn't gathered all the UK dates from 1963-1967 – an enormous amount of shows.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 13, 2017 13:34

It'll be more in the US I should think.

I'm assuming that those UK shows include all the early 60s gigs... every other night from the from the back of a van for a couple of years winking smiley

Date: October 13, 2017 15:18

That's pretty much the size of it, Spud. In the argy bargy crowd being herded around, awaiting entry to HP1 in 2013, I met a chap from my hometown of Hamilton, Scotland. In May 1964, then aged 10, he said he waited outside their gig in a Hotel there. They'd built up quite following between the gig being anounced and taking place. My mum, now 75,knew people who went and there was a fair bit of crowd trouble due to overcapacity and forged tickets. They only played for about 50 minutes. Apparently Bill remember the show well smiling smiley

A beat up old Tranny Van type vehicle pulled up and some young guys jumped out - them! Bill, Keith & Brian all carried their own instruments and walked through the crowds into the entrance. I now live near Swindon Wilts, where they played 2 or 3 times in the early days in McIlroy's Tea Rooms and it was all very casual then too - vans and carrying own instruments up the stairs. No guitar technicians in those days! I've met several people down the years who said they were at these shows.

In these early busy years, they must have performed several hundred shows in Cinemas, Theatres and Hotels up and down the UK - seaside towns, mining towns, Community Halls, the lot. Towns like Stafford, Blackpool, Bournemouth. They worked their socks off for little reward other than getting themselves known. Often 2 shows a day, travel to the next venue on pre-motorway roads and another show (or 2) in another town. A hectic schedule. And all the while they werev being ripped off with a crappy record deal and others making money out of them. It could be argued that the huge sums they've made in their later career is delayed reward for this early period where they worked so hard to make themselves famous.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 15:32 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2017 15:30

I believe the Stones reached the 1000th-show milestone circa 1967. The bulk of those shows took place in the U.K. Prior to their first stateside visit in late '64, the Stones had barely played a handful of gigs outside the British Isles. Those British Package Tours they were billed in were often two-shows per-day, seven-days a week. Relentless, admirable stuff.

Date: October 13, 2017 16:41

Big Al
I believe the Stones reached the 1000th-show milestone circa 1967. The bulk of those shows took place in the U.K. Prior to their first stateside visit in late '64, the Stones had barely played a handful of gigs outside the British Isles. Those British Package Tours they were billed in were often two-shows per-day, seven-days a week. Relentless, admirable stuff.

And don't forget that on top of this hectic 1,000 shows in the 1st 4-5 years period, they were very active in the studio too, producing a huge volume of work when their existence and continued fame was heavily dependent on frequent hit singles rather than an album every year or 2 as it became from the late 60s onwards. Crazy stuff.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: October 13, 2017 17:15

Thanks for the details, georgelicks. It's good to know a timeframe for this tour. Time flies and life fills in too quickly, it's good to know July/August is what we're looking at.

And as far the Vegas 'mini' show- beats the canceled show (canceled less than 24 hours in advance)! There's no way I can let that go down as my 'last'

Posted by: Kennedy ()
Date: October 13, 2017 18:02

If there is indeed this new album in the works for a 2018 release, I think a US tour is inevitable.

Date: October 13, 2017 18:59

Kennedy
If there is indeed this new album in the works for a 2018 release, I think a US tour is inevitable.

I doubt it very much. It's not the olden days. 1 14-15 date tour a year is their work pattern now.

Date: October 13, 2017 19:24

grzegorz67
Kennedy

I doubt it very much. It's not the olden days. 1 14-15 date tour a year is their work pattern now.

Yet they'll want to recoup all the money spent "wasting" time in the studio - they certainly won't make much of it back on the new album alone. As you say it's not the olden days anymore.
A quick spin through the US and not only will they come out even, they'll leave with their pockets overstuffed and bank accounts overflowing with easy cash.
Maybe the fall of 2018, but more likely the spring or summer 2019 after the release of the long awaited new album.

Date: October 13, 2017 19:55

Hairball
grzegorz67
Kennedy

Yet they'll want to recoup all the money spent "wasting" time in the studio - they certainly won't make much of it back on the new album alone. As you say it's not the olden days anymore.
A quick spin through the US and not only will they come out even, they'll leave with their pockets overstuffed and bank accounts overflowing with easy cash.
Maybe the fall of 2018, but more likely the spring or summer 2019 after the release of the long awaited new album.

We can all dream. I'm sure their bank accounts are already overflowing enough. As they're all Londoners, I'd bet a million pounds to a penny they'll want to end their live careers there so whatever UK Tour they do next Summer will have its final date there, then after that I think they're done. Charlie will be 77 and Mick & Keith 75.

Date: October 13, 2017 19:56

grzegorz67
Hairball
grzegorz67
Kennedy

We can all dream. I'm sure their bank accounts are already overflowing enough. As they're all Londoners, I'd bet a million pounds to a penny they'll want to end their live careers there so whatever UK Tour they do next Summer will have its final date there, then after that I think they're done. Charlie will be 77 and Mick & Keith 75.

Never say never.

Date: October 13, 2017 19:59

Hairball
grzegorz67
Hairball
grzegorz67
Kennedy

Never say never.

Yes there is that, but I don't think money will be any motivation. They already have more than they'll ever need to fund a lavish lifestyle.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 13, 2017 20:00

Not sure why everyone thinks the Stones have some master plan. They don’t sit around thinking “hey,you know what would be a great place to play? Brazil,or New York or London. They finish playing the gigs they have booked and promoters come to them and offer money, if they cough up enough cash the Stones play,if they don’t they don’t.
If I remember correctly the AEG guys went South America and set up the desert trip and Vegas shows.
It reminds me of when someone asked Willie Nelson why he didn’t retire”i do two things golf and play music, which one do you want me to give up?

Date: October 13, 2017 20:13

grzegorz67
Hairball
grzegorz67
Hairball
grzegorz67
Kennedy

Never say never.

Yes there is that, but I don't think money will be any motivation. They already have more than they'll ever need to fund a lavish lifestyle.

Then age shouldn't be a factor either which seems to be where you want to draw the line. After all, BB King played until the end and he was 89 (RIP). Chuck Berry was 90 (RIP).
Tony Bennett is still alive and well and performing today, and he is a staggering 91!!!

And as lem motlow just mentioned above, Willie Nelson is 84 and still on the road...again...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 20:15 by Hairball.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 13, 2017 21:44

The tour schedule may be more of a throwback than one might think-69 and 70 were in the low 20s and 71 was 18.the madness started in 72.

I still think the 1971 goodbye tour was the best one they ever did, hands down, no question. Better than 72, better than 73.

18 shows all over the UK in halls around 2000 seats.and it was the one and only Sticky Fingers tour.im hoping and praying they do at least some shows like that next year,even though I won’t be there I want it to happen.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 13, 2017 23:05

VoodooLounge13
Hairball
Sighunt

It was a long road back from finding myself again, post-divorce. And when they came around on the Zip Code tour, I said to myself, Y'know what?? I'm going to go see the boys again in Buffalo, and I'm going to go alone - prove to myself that not only am I OK, but that I am completely healed. I'd been able to do everything alone and not feel weird or anxious - dining out, sporting events, you name it. But a concert was just unfathomable. However, if there was ONE band that could get me to cross that threshold, it was the mofo Rolling Stones!!!! The band that had become the backbone of my storied life. Tons of people go alone to shows, just to say they were there. I would be no different. And so I went, and that was the last time I've seen them. Buffalo was an absolutely amazing show!!!! One of the best I've seen them do of my 13 shows, and to finally hear Wild Horses after allllll those years, quite literally brought a few tears from my ducts. It was the ultimate culmination of everything I'd gone thru, and if I hadn't gotten to that show and proven to myself that I could do ANYTHING alone, then I would still be looking to hear that one, one of my top 30 favorite Stones songs. I like knowing that I now have a tremendous end to my Stones concerts.

Voodoo- I also think going to a concert by oneself takes lots of balls. My circumstances are different than yours, but I went by myself to see the Stones on the Licks tour in 2002. This was the only show I went to alone. I traveled from my hometown of Rochester, NY to Philly PA. It was a last minute thing and I couldn't get anybody to go with me so I bought a single ticket on-line for the Philly show at the First Union Center, booked a room at the Crown Plaza (?) and got to the hotel before the show, dropped off my luggage, parked my car at the hotel, had to learn how to get to the arena. Can't remember if I took the train and/or bus, but I got to the show. It turned out that I had GREAT seats for the show. And what a show it was -Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders opened and played a great set. The Stones came on and were hot that night-sipping into a mini-set of Let It Bleed songs including Love In Vain! Later in the show, I nearly wet my pants when they played Can't You Hear Me Knocking which I had been waiting to hear live on stage since the early 1970's. The whole experience for me is a memory of a lifetime!

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: October 13, 2017 23:43

Keith still owns Redlands and I believe he uses it when he's in town.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1867
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home