Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Likelihood of a US Tour in 2018?
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 06:22

treaclefingers
DGA35
micwer
Does anyone know if an East coast U.S. tour is in the cards for 2018? I'm flying to Paris to see the Stones on Oct. 22 but I'd love to take my kids to see them closer to home in New York City!

Thanks!

How about Western Canada/ Pacific Northwest?!!!

the Fraser Valley!

YES!! Come out to Abbotsford or Chilliwack smiling smiley

I look at Paul McCartney and he's touring more now than he ever has. Roger Waters is touring a lot, too. They're both similar in age to the Stones.

A nice spring North American tour followed by Summer in the UK would be nice!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 11, 2017 10:33

DGA35

I look at Paul McCartney and he's touring more now than he ever has. Roger Waters is touring a lot, too. They're both similar in age to the Stones.

Thank you, finally someone else who doesn't look at the Stones and think they're about to keel over immediately and that every short tour is going to be the Dramatic Last Stand. eye rolling smiley There are many performers in that age group and older who tour constantly.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 11, 2017 11:05

Aquamarine
DGA35

Thank you, finally someone else who doesn't look at the Stones and think they're about to keel over immediately and that every short tour is going to be the Dramatic Last Stand. eye rolling smiley There are many performers in that age group and older who tour constantly.

Yes, good points. There is a conflicting picture re Stones plans.
Some people seem convinced ' closure' will happen soon.
The group themselves, when asked, appear to have no plans to call it quits.
More than any 70 plus year old Mick is praised for his fitness.
Keith 'will outlive us all'.
Charlie has recovered well after his cancer scare and seems to live a healthy life.
Ronnie: too early to say after his recent scare but negativity over The Stones future has been around for many years.

Their workload, compared to Macca, Waters and Dylan is hardly strenuous.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 11:06

Aquamarine
DGA35

No-one's saying that. But recent actvity has been 1 14-15 date tour a year so 2 tours the same year seems very unlikely, but not impossible. The consensus is - Tour of their home country next year, ending in their home city where it all started then cheerio. The US has had about 40 shows since 2012, spread across several tours. We've had 5 and none since July 2013.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 11:08 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 11:22

Depending on Health ... but .. this No Filter Tour has got a whole NEW Production & Stage Design ... unlikely it's ONLY for Europe 2017 .. so a UK Tour 2018 ...

and then ..... only God Knows

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: October 11, 2017 18:50

Aquamarine
DGA35

True, AQ. Do the people on the McCartney boards constantly fret about his imminent demise?

Note, though, that the Stones have 4 moving parts to get into alignment before they can do anything. Roger and Paul don't have to worry about that. (And Rog doesn't have a helluva lot to do on stage.)

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 11, 2017 21:07

It's hard to imagine them doing stadium rock shows for much longer. But will they, as Bill Wyman once predicted, wind up sitting on stools and playing blues songs? I can see them at age 80 doing that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 21:07 by Send It To me.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 22:09

i really hope they quit before 80.

sitting on stools singing slow numbers isnt what the stones are all about.

jaggers 74 now, would be good if he pushed on till 77-79 at most, but not 80.

i hope they give it up at some point before they get embarrassing.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 11, 2017 22:20

A friend who works at MSG hinted at a 10 night residency next year.
Not sure if this is for real, but a 8-10 night residency in major cities makes more sense for them as they get older.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 22:30

I don't quite buy the comparison to Waters and McCartney. Those two solo acts are surrounded by younger, consummate professional session musicians who are paid to replicate songs exactly as on record.

A theoretical Jagger solo tour would be a good comparison to Waters and McCartney. All three are remarkably spry and healthy.

It's really Ronnie, Keith and Charlie and how aging has affected them in various ways that sets the Stones apart from all other '60s acts, and makes them MORE real and MORE authentic, warts and all.

It also makes the certainty of them continuing on year to year much less than the others.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 22:32 by keefriff99.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 22:35

DeanGoodman
Aquamarine
DGA35

True, AQ. Do the people on the McCartney boards constantly fret about his imminent demise?

Note, though, that the Stones have 4 moving parts to get into alignment before they can do anything. Roger and Paul don't have to worry about that. (And Rog doesn't have a helluva lot to do on stage.)
Has Paul aged the way Keith has?

Has Paul had a cancer scare the way Ronnie and Charlie have?

When people here fret about the Stones, is Mick ever the topic of the fretting? Aging hits people in different ways...although I think worrying about "imminent demise" is silly, it's not unreasonable to wonder how Keith, Ronnie and Charlie are doing health-wise, while most of us take Mick's incredible fitness for granted.

I'm guessing McCartney fans do the same.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: October 11, 2017 22:45

My last Stones show was Buffalo 2015 and I want to remember them for pulling off what I considered to be a great, solid performance that night. Personally, I am scared that if they return to the US (and without an album of new material) and play a sub-par show that I happen to attend, I will be very sad.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2017 01:20

Sighunt
My last Stones show was Buffalo 2015 and I want to remember them for pulling off what I considered to be a great, solid performance that night. Personally, I am scared that if they return to the US (and without an album of new material) and play a sub-par show that I happen to attend, I will be very sad.

Interesting Sighunt and I can relate to your dilemma.
I had a great time seeing the Stones at the two Desert Trip shows - especially weekend two - and I recall saying that I wasn't sure if I want to see them again as it would be hard to top that experience.
Well I took a gamble, and spur of the moment saw them in Vegas with my wife the following week. We happened to be in Vegas for her birthday and as a surprise I bought two heavily discounted tickets the day of show via stubhub. Great floor seats, and was ecstatic to be in the building, but then it kind of went downhill from there. Mick was still very sick after the cancelled show, and the setlist was abbreviated down to 18 songs. He held back singing, didn't have all of his signature moves, he lacked energy, and he simply wasn't himself. Thankfully the backup singers and the rest of the band filled the void, but it was still a far cry from being a great show imo. Can't blame Mick for trying though, but maybe they should have cancelled that as well due to the circumstances. So that's the memory I have of the last time I saw the Stones, but try to forget it and consider Desert Trip II the last time I saw them. I now tack on an asterisk to the *Vegas show whenever I mention it as it was somewhat tainted, and is a blemish on my list of the many Stones shows I've seen throughout the years.

*Indicates short setlist and Mick being sick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 01:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 12, 2017 01:27

I have heard they will return to Europe, after the UK gigs, for more shows. USA has had their share, so sorry baby.
Jeroen

Date: October 12, 2017 01:41

corriecas
I have heard they will return to Europe, after the UK gigs, for more shows. USA has had their share, so sorry baby.
Jeroen

Why would they go back to Europe when they can't even sell out all the current tickets?
I think your just daydreaming and being cynical - unless you can provide a source?

After the UK, they'll probably go back to South America, and from there back to the US. winking smiley
They love it in the US, they can charge more for tickets, and there's many more options available as far as venues!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 12, 2017 01:55

What about a South American tour in 2018? hot smiley

Just dreaming of course, but it would be great to see them here again sometime.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 02:31

We can all dream. We all have different dreams and unfortunately, they can't all come true. We definitely have 5 more shows on this tour (of which I'll attend 3 grinning smiley )

A UK tour of 10-12 shows next year does sound very likely and after that, who knows? Next year, Charlie will be 77 years old. There may be concert activity beyond next year, but I'd be surprised. It's been a hell of a career so far so every tour or mini tour they do from now on should be treated as a bonus. In fact, everything since 2012 has been a huge bonus because many of us thought 2007 was the end.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 12, 2017 03:53

Send It To me
It's hard to imagine them doing stadium rock shows for much longer. But will they, as Bill Wyman once predicted, wind up sitting on stools and playing blues songs? I can see them at age 80 doing that.

A Stones version of an "Elvis '68 Comeback Special" would be pretty cool. Just the musicians in a big square facing each other sitting on chairs and focusing on the playing and the singing. And the audience all around them watching the craft unfold.

But...... Elvis was what, only 35 when he did his comeback special? That sounds like a child nowadays. And I guess Elvis' band was his studio/touring band, and they were all accomplished professional musicians.

Date: October 12, 2017 04:02

And when I think about the Rolling Stones I feel a general angst about a never-ending Peter Pan syndrome. You know the cliches, "sounding better than they ever sounded before," "playing like they are 30 years younger," etc. Twenty years ago they could get away with it but now it's a different time and a different story.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: October 12, 2017 04:06

Boston.Ny,Chicago,La,Miami spring tour.....then...Prague,Helsinki,Belgrad,Athens,Marseille.....then Wales,Ireland,Scotland.....England......Thank You....the end.....M

Date: October 12, 2017 04:10

Cristiano Radtke

Yes...Olé, Olé, Olé! Part 2!!! cool smiley

Then back to the US for a Grand Finale Farewell those who want to attend, and as long as they stay away from any deserts, Mick should be fine!
If I can get a Lucky Dip or a cheapie ticket via stubhub the day of show again, I will be there!

But...they had problems selling out just the two Vegas shows, so something has to change - namely the outrageous prices!!!
And maybe a new album will entice more people to see them one last time? And maybe bring back Mick Taylor for the last hurrah?!!!

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: October 12, 2017 08:31

Cristiano Radtke

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beerthumbs up

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 12, 2017 10:22

Not sure if they have a ending date in mind, but if they do tour the U.K. next
year, they will have come “full circle”. This might be tempting to end it where
they started.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 12, 2017 10:34

Hairball
corriecas
Jeroen

Why would they go back to Europe when they can't even sell out all the current tickets?
I think your just daydreaming and being cynical - unless you can provide a source?

After the UK, they'll probably go back to South America, and from there back to the US. winking smiley
They love it in the US, they can charge more for tickets, and there's many more options available as far as venues!

Yeah i was.
Jeroen

Date: October 13, 2017 02:59

swimtothemoon
Not sure if they have a ending date in mind, but if they do tour the U.K. next
year, they will have come “full circle”. This might be tempting to end it where
they started.

Yes, absolutely. Take four months off and then have have an early Spring tour in the UK of about 10 dates and then one last show televised world-wide and then hang up the guitars.

Call it quits on the 50th anniversary of the release of the Jumpin' Jack Flash single? The 24th of May 2018.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 13, 2017 03:13

MileHigh
...Take four months off and then have have an early Spring tour in the UK of about 10 dates and then one last show televised world-wide and then hang up the guitars.

Call it quits on the 50th anniversary of the release of the Jumpin' Jack Flash single? The 24th of May 2018.

I don't think the Stones will ever 'retire' as such... would you if you could work as and when for an hourly rate of half a million?...

Hairball

Then back to the US for a Grand Finale Farewell those who want to attend

...however, if any finale was planned it would take place in the UK, that's for sure.

Posted by: Thru and Thru ()
Date: October 13, 2017 03:25

The way I see it, if they all stay healthy, happy, willing and able there's no reason why they couldn't play 10 - 15 shows in the US and Canada during early spring, take off four months or so and finish the year with 10 - 12 shows in the UK during the fall. The big payday from shows in the US has always been very tempting to them.

Lose your dreams and you will lose your mind...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 13, 2017 03:40

No US shows on cards for 2018, only UK on July/August and 90% of the dates (12) are booked.

No others plans except the new album out sometime next year.

Date: October 13, 2017 03:41

Olly

Hairball

Then back to the US for a Grand Finale Farewell those who want to attend

...however, if any finale was planned it would take place in the UK, that's for sure.

Not so sure about that!

However, I was only referring to a Grand Farewell to the US...the rest of the world is up for grabs.
They might want to have their Grand Finale to the World down in South America where the fans are truly fanatical!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 13, 2017 03:51

Hairball
Sighunt

Interesting Sighunt and I can relate to your dilemma.
I had a great time seeing the Stones at the two Desert Trip shows - especially weekend two - and I recall saying that I wasn't sure if I want to see them again as it would be hard to top that experience.
Well I took a gamble, and spur of the moment saw them in Vegas with my wife the following week. We happened to be in Vegas for her birthday and as a surprise I bought two heavily discounted tickets the day of show via stubhub. Great floor seats, and was ecstatic to be in the building, but then it kind of went downhill from there. Mick was still very sick after the cancelled show, and the setlist was abbreviated down to 18 songs. He held back singing, didn't have all of his signature moves, he lacked energy, and he simply wasn't himself. Thankfully the backup singers and the rest of the band filled the void, but it was still a far cry from being a great show imo. Can't blame Mick for trying though, but maybe they should have cancelled that as well due to the circumstances. So that's the memory I have of the last time I saw the Stones, but try to forget it and consider Desert Trip II the last time I saw them. I now tack on an asterisk to the *Vegas show whenever I mention it as it was somewhat tainted, and is a blemish on my list of the many Stones shows I've seen throughout the years.

*Indicates short setlist and Mick being sick.

I have a similar tale.....I saw them at Churchill Downs on the ABB Tour - that was my 6th show on that tour, the only time I've ever seen more than 1 show on a tour. I remember my excitement leading up to it, being at that venue with soooooooooo many people; having flown all the way from upstate NY to see them; having tix in the 2nd row; and then only getting Dead Flowers as the lone song I'd not heard live before, but already knowing that that would be played there. It felt almost like a letdown honestly. All that money and prep to see them, and I felt somewhat disappointed. I thought I was done seeing them unless they did something spectacular like bring back Mick Taylor - that could persuade me to go see them again...........and they did, but unfortunately, I was going thru a divorce at the time and all my free money went to attorneys. I missed that tour - the first I'd missed since 1997, when this whole thing took off for me. I simply couldn't afford those ticket prices with all I had going on at the personal front.

It was a long road back from finding myself again, post-divorce. And when they came around on the Zip Code tour, I said to myself, Y'know what?? I'm going to go see the boys again in Buffalo, and I'm going to go alone - prove to myself that not only am I OK, but that I am completely healed. I'd been able to do everything alone and not feel weird or anxious - dining out, sporting events, you name it. But a concert was just unfathomable. However, if there was ONE band that could get me to cross that threshold, it was the mofo Rolling Stones!!!! The band that had become the backbone of my storied life. Tons of people go alone to shows, just to say they were there. I would be no different. And so I went, and that was the last time I've seen them. Buffalo was an absolutely amazing show!!!! One of the best I've seen them do of my 13 shows, and to finally hear Wild Horses after allllll those years, quite literally brought a few tears from my ducts. It was the ultimate culmination of everything I'd gone thru, and if I hadn't gotten to that show and proven to myself that I could do ANYTHING alone, then I would still be looking to hear that one, one of my top 30 favorite Stones songs. I like knowing that I now have a tremendous end to my Stones concerts.

But I am already plotting in the back of my mind for next summer, fingers, toes, legs, arms, and anything else crossed that they are all able to perform next year. I want more. Once upon a time, I'd wanted to see them 13 times, my lucky number. Well, I'm there. And then I decided I'd like to see them as many times as I have been a fan - that would be 20 years at the moment, so I'd need 8 shows next year (adding 1 year to my total years of being a fan). Not sure I get that many if all these Knebworth rumors prove true, as I'd much rather throw all my money into trying to see all 3 mega-bands together!!

It's an adventure - one many people don't understand, but the sheer happiness that this band brings.....it's all unbelievable, after all this time. And really given the longevity, and their health issues, absolutely no one should be complaining about a damn thing. Every show now is a gift, and if anyone can't see that and appreciate it for what it is, then I would seriously question what makes one feel truly alive. This band - despite any corporate sponsorships and other stuff - has always tried to do what it can for its fans. People on the inside do read this board and some of it trickles thru to the band itself. Let's not forget how we pleaded for Sway, and got it! The band cannot stay in 1968 forever - not a single person breathing can even remain in a single second for another one. Time flows and we all must move with it. One day each of their clocks will stop moving, and that will indeed be four very sad days. But until then, let's each and everyone enjoy whatever they feel like giving to us, their fans, like they have since 1962. I am happy to consider myself a fan of the Greatest Rock n Roll Band in the World for as long as I've been able to!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-13 03:59 by VoodooLounge13.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home