Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Liam Gallagher solo album "As you were"
Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 10, 2017 17:50

[www.nme.com]
Great album!!
I love this song:
[youtu.be]

Re: OT: Liam Gallagher solo album "As you were"
Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: October 10, 2017 18:39

Awesome album

Date: October 10, 2017 18:46

geordiestone
Awesome album

thumbs up

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2017 19:12

I was never a big Oasis fan. Thats not a dig on them, just never really took the time to go through their catalogue. The only album I know is Morning Glory and all the way through its excellent.

Liam's new album I did hear and thought was fine. Rather unmemorable, but again as a non-Oasis fan I'm not even sure if it sounded like their typical sound or not. I found the songs good, but none really worth revisiting or stick out. I only listened to the album cause I was really surprised by how much I liked Wall Of Glass. The rest of the album I didn't think was as good. Again, not bad, but also nothing to write home about or remember.

But Oasis fans may be kinder. I did enjoy several Beady Eye songs and these weren't as good or memorable to me.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 10, 2017 19:21

This album is much stronger than I thought it was gonna be. It’s excellent from start to finish. The deluxe tracks are even good! Bring on Noel’s response next month...it should be just as good. Those two would be really great in the same band someday

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2017 19:48

Munichhilton
Those two would be really great in the same band someday

Within 10 years, I guarantee.

Date: October 10, 2017 19:58

Munichhilton
This album is much stronger than I thought it was gonna be. It’s excellent from start to finish. The deluxe tracks are even good! Bring on Noel’s response next month...it should be just as good. Those two would be really great in the same band someday

"All my people/All mankind"...maybe is the best track!

Date: October 10, 2017 22:27

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 11, 2017 01:20

KRiffhard
Munichhilton

"All my people/All mankind"...maybe is the best track!

Really enjoying Glass, Crown, Chinatown, and Greedy...

Date: October 11, 2017 03:07

great stuff

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: October 11, 2017 03:28

i cant wait to get my own copy,they dont have it here in china (mainland china)

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: October 11, 2017 07:51

Chinatown
[youtu.be]

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: October 11, 2017 12:28

Very good album, my favourite is Paper Crown

Date: October 12, 2017 00:16

"As You Were doesn't sound retro even though it is, in essence, a throwback to a throwback -- a re-articulation of Liam's '90s obsession with the '60s. That production does Gallagher a favor but so does Kurstin's presence as a co-songwriter, helping to rein in Liam's wandering ear and sharpen his melodies. Ranging from the icy onslaught of "Wall of Glass" to the stark swirl of "Chinatown," this is his best record in nearly a decade, and they add up to an album that illustrates exactly who Liam Gallagher is as an artist. Now in his middle age, he's a richer, nuanced singer than he was during Oasis' heyday, yet he's retained his charisma and, unlike his brother, he favors color and fire in his records, elements that not only enhance this fine collection of songs but make this the best post-Oasis album from either Gallagher to date"
[www.allmusic.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 12, 2017 00:59

KRiffhard
"As You Were doesn't sound retro even though it is, in essence, a throwback to a throwback -- a re-articulation of Liam's '90s obsession with the '60s. That production does Gallagher a favor but so does Kurstin's presence as a co-songwriter, helping to rein in Liam's wandering ear and sharpen his melodies. Ranging from the icy onslaught of "Wall of Glass" to the stark swirl of "Chinatown," this is his best record in nearly a decade, and they add up to an album that illustrates exactly who Liam Gallagher is as an artist. Now in his middle age, he's a richer, nuanced singer than he was during Oasis' heyday, yet he's retained his charisma and, unlike his brother, he favors color and fire in his records, elements that not only enhance this fine collection of songs but make this the best post-Oasis album from either Gallagher to date"
[www.allmusic.com]

Nice review, I've only heard a couple of tunes which seem OK, but haven't had time to fully absorb it all. I might even buy it!
But here's a lengthy in depth mixed review from Pitchfork that's not so nice.

As You Were

"...the diluted authorship leaves him floundering amid songs that manage to be overly complex and fiercely indistinct at the same time".
"...As You Were lacks direction and plays out as a series of inoffensive dirges".
"Aside from “Wall of Glass,” As You Were never convinces you of its reason to exist, and there’s little more purpose to be found in the lyrics".
"Searching for clarity in a Liam Gallagher lyric is like looking for artistic depth in a coloring book"

--------------------------------------------------------------
Rolling Stone magazine give it a seemingly more fair review - 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Our take on 'As You Were'

"Eight years after that band's (Oasis's) messy breakup, Liam puts his signature voice on the line in a mostly original set of strut
and reflection that sticks to Oasis' template – brawny Britpop, Beatle-esque ballads – and often invigorates it".

"But if the album is a few steps shy of his old band's best, it has Gallagher writing like he means it and singing like his dream isn't over".

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: October 12, 2017 18:42

The kind of album that grows slowly on you. Better than the Beady Eye ones. Some songs are weaker but the album's solid from start to finish. Obviously the production team went for a safe product. Most positive point : Liam's singing like he hasn't done for ages.

Posted by: Paul Kersey ()
Date: October 12, 2017 19:03

Yep great album. Really enjoying it.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: October 12, 2017 22:05

I've enjoyed the media/social media content surrounding Liam's return as much as the music itself.

Here he is talking about his use of Twitter, with a brilliant moment at 3:11 in response to his Twitter account having been 'hacked' recently when a tweet was posted suggesting that Noel's tears at the Manchester Arena reopening were a PR stunt. I rarely watch chat shows, but that moment was hysterical.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 22:05 by Olly.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 13, 2017 10:19

I've just downloaded Liam's debut. I enjoyed Beady Eye's first effort, but lost interest soon after. Only a couple of tracks in, but it's sounding good. Looking forward to Noel's next offering.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: October 13, 2017 11:06

Half of it is really great. Half just OK.Very solid. Good for him.

Posted by: markrs ()
Date: October 13, 2017 11:30

Liam was asked earlier this week on reddit who he would most like to open for and said the rolling stones.

probably too late to get him added as support to this current tour so maybe he'll show up at one of UK gigs next year

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 13, 2017 11:48

Listening to the album right now.
Good vibe; good flow.
'OASIS wannabe' kinda sound... Hard to shake off, really;
and that's too bad - 'cause these tracks ain't bad.

I guess, as it faced the sun, that band DID cast a shadow... and rather a huge one.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: October 13, 2017 22:08

I loved Oasis in '94, and have been pretty much thoroughly bored by them and anything to do with them ever since. Good luck to Liam, he clearly still means it, and Noel, who's a funny chap, but wake me up when it's all over.

Declan

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 14, 2017 11:12

Number One in the UK Charts, after one week.
103,000 copies sold.

Date: October 14, 2017 20:21

jlowe
Number One in the UK Charts, after one week.
103,000 copies sold.

thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 15, 2017 01:20

DD
I loved Oasis in '94, and have been pretty much thoroughly bored by them and anything to do with them ever since. Good luck to Liam, he clearly still means it, and Noel, who's a funny chap, but wake me up when it's all over.

Declan

Same here, but I really liked the first two albums which I bought on vinyl as well as all the vinyl singles (7" and 12").
The B-sides were just as good as songs on the albums, and were eventually cobbled together for a comp. album.
Having listened to all of that stuff recently though, they seem to have lost a lot of their charm for me.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: October 15, 2017 01:33

Boring...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home