Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Semi OT: Excellent albums with one song you never liked
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 10, 2017 17:23

DandelionPowderman
rattler2004
Lol who ever said that Emotional Rescue was an excellent album?

Abbey Road...I Want You (She’s so Heavy), dark, plodding and repetitive equals boring

Sgt Peppers...Within and Without You, dumb title, dumber song...and by dumb I mean it doesn’t speak to me, never has.

Tattoo You...Hang Fire, just by this track alone, it’s clear that this is an outtake release...Littleness T&A isn’t far behind either

We're mocking others' taste today?

Looks like I have plenty to pick up here from your choices, if we're going down that route smoking smiley

Nope, not mocking anyone’s taste, but no way Emotional Rescue is an “excellent” album. Please feel free to pick on anything I wrote in this post, doesn’t bother me. I do ask that you not take it personal, we don’t know each other and really we’re just names on a screen, so take it down a notch or two. I didn’t attack, just stated a view point. Jeez. Btw my statement had more to do with the following.....The consensus when it was released was it was a curve ball of a follow up to Some Girls. Other than 3 maybe 4 songs, most would have to look up the real listing and it’s only 10 songs...do you think most here would have trouble with remembering the songs from Beggar’s, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls our Tattoo You?............yea me either.

But like I stated feel free to get slash and burn any post of mine, it is what happens on a message board and in the end it you will only been known as your nickname and nothing more...same with all of us.

So if you want continue to on with your pursuit of being a shrew...or not

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-10 17:26 by rattler2004.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 10, 2017 17:37

rattler2004
Nope, not mocking anyone’s taste, but no way Emotional Rescue is an “excellent” album. Please feel free to pick on anything I wrote in this post, doesn’t bother me. I do ask that you not take it personal, we don’t know each other and really we’re just names on a screen, so take it down a notch or two. I didn’t attack, just stated a view point. Jeez. Btw my statement had more to do with the following.....The consensus when it was released was it was a curve ball of a follow up to Some Girls. Other than 3 maybe 4 songs, most would have to look up the real listing and it’s only 10 songs...do you think most here would have trouble with remembering the songs from Beggar’s, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile, Some Girls our Tattoo You?............yea me either.

But like I stated feel free to get slash and burn any post of mine, it is what happens on a message board and in the end it you will only been known as your nickname and nothing more...same with all of us.

Dance, Pt. 1 - excellent song
Summer Romance" - excellent song
Send It to Me" - excellent song
Let Me Go" - excellent song
Indian Girl" - great song
Where the Boys Go" - great song
Down in the Hole" - excellent song
Emotional Rescue" - excellent song
She's So Cold" - excellent song
All About You - excellent song

How is it not an excellent album? Just cause there's no real ''classic'' like Miss You or Start me Up it doesn't mean it's not an excellent album.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 10, 2017 17:44

yeababyyea
rattler2004

Dance, Pt. 1 - not a song, nice time capsule, fitting to a doubble album or good outtake
Summer Romance" - a song
Send It to Me" - filler song
Let Me Go" - very good song
Indian Girl" - a lousy song
Where the Boys Go" - a filler song
Down in the Hole" - a song
Emotional Rescue" - a good song
All About You - a good song

How is it not an excellent album? Just cause there's no real ''classic'' like Miss You or Start me Up it doesn't mean it's not an excellent album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-10 20:32 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: October 10, 2017 18:26

yeababyyea
rattler2004

Dance, Pt. 1 - excellent song
Summer Romance" - excellent song
Send It to Me" - excellent song
Let Me Go" - excellent song
Indian Girl" - great song
Where the Boys Go" - great song
Down in the Hole" - excellent song
Emotional Rescue" - excellent song
All About You - excellent song

Ok I’ll play...

So since we are going to mince words here (this should be fun), between “classic” and “excellent”

Dance Pt 1...I don’t think that is an excellent song, but more of an unfinished jam that somehow ended up being a half-baked song...I like the groove but excellent??? ..maybe that’s why they did a couple of versions?

Summer Romance...not excellent...a weak stab at punk rock (which was a passed fad when this was released). I don’t think it’s excellent, but glad you do

Send It To Me...I like this one, always have.

Let Me Go...honestly didn’t notice this son until it showed up on Still Life...where it has a faster tempo hand is punchier...better version on Still Life...and unnoticed on Emotional Rescue...mmmm thinking not so excellent here

Indian Girl...really? Nah

Where The Boys Go....mm mm no

Down In The Hole...yeah, but no. Too muddy

Emotional Rescue...nice baseline...but overall pretty forgettable sone...is that why they forgot about it for 30+ years? Maybe...

She’s So Cold...punk with a good dose of Stoes humor...

All About You. Un-nah.

So what is your criteria for an ‘excellent’ album? The individual songs aren’t all that great or excellent...the aggregate is not greater than the sum of its parts...the over all mix and production of the album is cold and sterile (I understand that was the style then)...just curious to know...

It’s cool if the album has a special connection to you, it this album speaks to you in a some deep emotional way...no problem with that...but mind you, before Dirty Work this was THE CLUNKER of their catalog (since they released JJF)
BTW it is a great album cover

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-10 18:33 by rattler2004.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 10, 2017 18:43

If we were to subtract the last 35 years worth of Stones albums, then Emotional Rescue might not be considered an excellent when standing up against the real excellent albums of the first twenty years. But in comparison to Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo, Bridges, A Bigger Bang, it is a gold plated masterpiece (minus title track). Blue and Lonesome was pretty good (not excellent) in comparison to those mentioned, but alas it was only blues covers and doesn't really count as a "Stones" album imo.

Date: October 10, 2017 19:02

Hairball
If we were to subtract the last 35 years worth of Stones albums, then Emotional Rescue might not be considered an excellent when standing up against the real excellent albums of the first twenty years. But in comparison to Dirty Work, Steel Wheels, Voodoo, Bridges, A Bigger Bang, it is a gold plated masterpiece (minus title track). Blue and Lonesome was pretty good (not excellent) in comparison to those mentioned, but alas it was only blues covers and doesn't really count as a "Stones" album imo.

Ok, but let’s not throw facts away to shape and strengthen a narrative.

Date: October 10, 2017 19:25

rattler2004
Hairball

Ok, but let’s not throw facts away to shape and strengthen a narrative.

You're right, I got carried away.
In the big picture of things - even including the last 35 dismal years, I can not honestly label Emotional Rescue as excellent. The title track, Send it to Me, and Indian Girl have no place on a Stones album. Instead of those, they could have and should have included more of the leftovers from the Some Girls sessions, some of which eventually saw the light of day on the SG deluxe a few years ago. Why those were kept in the dark for so long is a mystery as they would have spiced up all of the albums from Emotional Rescue forward (with the exception of the cobbled together Tattoo You which is fine as it is). Having released them 35 years after the fact as a bonus disc was sort of bittersweet. Sweet that we finally got to hear them, but bitter because they were neglected for so long. Instead they "gifted" us with crappy tunes like Winning Ugly, Mixed Emotions, Brand New Car, Streets of Love, etc., etc.

Date: October 10, 2017 19:52

rattler2004
DandelionPowderman
rattler2004
Lol who ever said that Emotional Rescue was an excellent album?

Abbey Road...I Want You (She’s so Heavy), dark, plodding and repetitive equals boring

Sgt Peppers...Within and Without You, dumb title, dumber song...and by dumb I mean it doesn’t speak to me, never has.

Tattoo You...Hang Fire, just by this track alone, it’s clear that this is an outtake release...Littleness T&A isn’t far behind either

We're mocking others' taste today?

Looks like I have plenty to pick up here from your choices, if we're going down that route smoking smiley

No pursuit, but I still find ER an excellent album smiling smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2017 20:28

Lol ER sucks. I'm not sure how we got to that topic. Not that I really care but that took a hard left turn.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 10, 2017 20:31

Winning Ugly VXII
The two most obvious weak tracks off of otherwise excellent albums are :

1) "Dear Doctor" from Beggars' Banquet

and

2) "Lies" from Some Girls ..... although "Lies" sounded better live on the '78 tour

"Soul Survivor" is one of the best songs out there by anyone.

"Emotional Rescue" is good as well ..... if you are in the mood to hear it but,I understand that it will never be everyone's cup of tea.

See, Dear Doctor I feel fits with that album more than You Gotta Move fits on Sticky Fingers, but thats just me. Beggars has a bunch of different styles. So does Fingers, but that odd cover thrown in sounds nothing like the rest. Dear Doctor and that style of song has hints elsewhere on Beggars I feel. Lies I think is a fantastic. Actually the only songs I don't like on Some Girls are Miss You and Shattered, although Shattered I do think is better live. But I think thats a fantastic album bookended by the two worst songs.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 10, 2017 20:33

RollingFreak
Winning Ugly VXII
The two most obvious weak tracks off of otherwise excellent albums are :

1) "Dear Doctor" from Beggars' Banquet

and

2) "Lies" from Some Girls ..... although "Lies" sounded better live on the '78 tour

"Soul Survivor" is one of the best songs out there by anyone.

"Emotional Rescue" is good as well ..... if you are in the mood to hear it but,I understand that it will never be everyone's cup of tea.

See, Dear Doctor I feel fits with that album more than You Gotta Move fits on Sticky Fingers, but thats just me. Beggars has a bunch of different styles. So does Fingers, but that odd cover thrown in sounds nothing like the rest. Dear Doctor and that style of song has hints elsewhere on Beggars I feel. Lies I think is a fantastic. Actually the only songs I don't like on Some Girls are Miss You and Shattered, although Shattered I do think is better live. But I think thats a fantastic album bookended by the two worst songs.

And me.

Date: October 10, 2017 20:44

RollingFreak
Lol ER sucks. I'm not sure how we got to that topic. Not that I really care but that took a hard left turn.

I found it excellent. That's why we went here. And I thought Indian Girl was the only song that wasn't excellent on there.

Pretty on topic, I'd say.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: October 10, 2017 20:58

Tubular Bells.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 10, 2017 20:58

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
retired_dog
Rockman
.... HEY!! .. and what about da other way round .......Albums with only one good track ....

WOT? Excellent albums with only one good track? That's tough! But let me think a while...

The best example of this is "Knocked Out Loaded" by Bob Dylan.
I don't even have to mention the great song - I guess you know

11:01 minutes of sheer brilliance.

Indeed

It must be a good day when I can finally agree with you BOTH, but yes yes yes...

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: October 10, 2017 21:08

rattler2004
It’s cool if the album has a special connection to you, it this album speaks to you in a some deep emotional way...no problem with that...but mind you, before Dirty Work this was THE CLUNKER of their catalog (since they released JJF)

I don't really have a special connection to it I wasn't born when it came out, it's just a very likable album and the ''plain'' production feels very fresh today.

IMO Emotional Rescue must be an excellent album by any reasonable standards. If you look at most rock bands today they could never dream of writing a song as good as She's So Cold. It's just brilliant songwriting. Summer Romance is a fun very captivating rocker which would be brilliant if they played it live. Send It To Me has an awesome vibe to it and All About You is a stunning ballad.

Date: October 10, 2017 22:26

yeababyyea
rattler2004

I don't really have a special connection to it I wasn't born when it came out, it's just a very likable album and the ''plain'' production feels very fresh today.

IMO Emotional Rescue must be an excellent album by any reasonable standards. If you look at most rock bands today they could never dream of writing a song as good as She's So Cold. It's just brilliant songwriting. Summer Romance is a fun very captivating rocker which would be brilliant if they played it live. Send It To Me has an awesome vibe to it and All About You is a stunning ballad.

+1

Date: October 10, 2017 22:26

retired_dog
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
retired_dog
Rockman
.... HEY!! .. and what about da other way round .......Albums with only one good track ....

WOT? Excellent albums with only one good track? That's tough! But let me think a while...

Indeed

It must be a good day when I can finally agree with you BOTH, but yes yes yes...

grinning smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 10, 2017 23:04

Soul Survivor - Exile, The Rolling Stones (Yer mother wouldn`t like it)
Taxman - Revolver, The Beatles.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 11, 2017 11:37

Neil Young & Crazy Horse's otherwise exclent "Broken Arrow" album ends with a horribly performed and pitifully recorded live cover version of Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want Me To Do".

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: October 12, 2017 02:26

If you put one throwaway song on an album, it makes all the others sound better.

Which is the throwaway, of course, is a matter of opinion. For example, I never cared for "Jigsaw Puzzle," "Country Honk," "Sway," or "Casino Boogie." On all the other Stones albums I can find more than one song I consider a throwaway. But that's just me.

Date: October 12, 2017 04:26

Pietro
If you put one throwaway song on an album, it makes all the others sound better.

Which is the throwaway, of course, is a matter of opinion. For example, I never cared for "Jigsaw Puzzle," "Country Honk," "Sway," or "Casino Boogie." On all the other Stones albums I can find more than one song I consider a throwaway. But that's just me.

I'm with you on Jigsaw Puzzle on Beggers, and Country Honk on Let it Bleed - they're not terrible, but not really necessary either. As for Sticky Fingers I can live without You Gotta Move - it's basically an inferior imitation of Mississippi Fred McDowell's version from '65. As for Exile, if forced I'd have to toss Ventilator Blues away as I've always considered it filler, but it wouldn't be an easy task as the album as a whole is pretty much perfect.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 07:59

In the case of the Stones there really is only one answer: You Gotta Move on Sticky. All the other ‘excellent’ albums are excellent through and through (as Keith might say).

Emotional Rescue was my first Stones album so I personally love every song on it and would’ve gladly bought ‘Emotional Rescue Bed Sheets’ had someone thought to market them but at least 4 of the songs are a little too breezy and lyrically juvenile to be considered excellent by anyone but the most ardent Stones bootlicker.

Date: October 12, 2017 11:20

Swayed1967
In the case of the Stones there really is only one answer: You Gotta Move on Sticky. All the other ‘excellent’ albums are excellent through and through (as Keith might say).

Emotional Rescue was my first Stones album so I personally love every song on it and would’ve gladly bought ‘Emotional Rescue Bed Sheets’ had someone thought to market them but at least 4 of the songs are a little too breezy and lyrically juvenile to be considered excellent by anyone but the most ardent Stones bootlicker.

You make it sound like Bitch won the Nobel Prize of Literature. Well, it didn't.. smiling smiley

And how can a terrific blues, that even surpasses the brilliant original, not be excellent?

It's ok not to be a fan of the blues, of course, but YGM might be the best blues the Stones ever did, imo.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 12, 2017 11:34

DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967

You make it sound like Bitch won the Nobel Prize of Literature. Well, it didn't.. smiling smiley

And how can a terrific blues, that even surpasses the brilliant original, not be excellent?

It's ok not to be a fan of the blues, of course, but YGM might be the best blues the Stones ever did, imo.

I think with that post only, you probably have managed that this thread will be another 30 pages at least.
The best blues the Stones ever did.... Although I like YGM, I do think it's the least excellent on Sticky Fingers (but I wouldn't wanna miss it). But the "best blues" the Stones ever did? I beg to differ:
Little Red Rooster
Who's Driving Your Plane
Down In The Hole
Prodigal Son
are coming to mind...
(And I would add Ventilator Blues, but I know you don't consider that a blues).

On a different note, I do agree that in retrospect Emotional Rescue is at least a rather good album (not excellent though), although I'd say the weakest link is Summer Romance and/or Where The Boys Go (I can never tell them apart) and not Indian Girl.

Date: October 12, 2017 11:42

matxil
DandelionPowderman
Swayed1967

I think with that post only, you probably have managed that this thread will be another 30 pages at least.
The best blues the Stones ever did.... Although I like YGM, I do think it's the least excellent on Sticky Fingers (but I wouldn't wanna miss it). But the "best blues" the Stones ever did? I beg to differ:
Little Red Rooster
Who's Driving Your Plane
Down In The Hole
Prodigal Son
are coming to mind...
(And I would add Ventilator Blues, but I know you don't consider that a blues).

On a different note, I do agree that in retrospect Emotional Rescue is at least a rather good album (not excellent though), although I'd say the weakest link is Summer Romance and/or Where The Boys Go (I can never tell them apart) and not Indian Girl.

It's all about taste of course, but out of your examples (and I really love Down In The Hole), only Little Red Rooster and Prodigal Son are up there with You Gotta Move, imo.

From a musical point of view, those three songs (perhaps together with Shake Your Hips qand the country blues Prodigal Son) might be the most authentic-sounding blues-tunes they ever did.

For me, You Gotta Move is the best – mainly because Mick and Keith dare to sing it like they did: With love and authenticity, as well as with a good dose of humour.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 11:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 12, 2017 11:44

Dance, Pt. 1 - filler. An outtake surely! But a song?
Summer Romance" - a song
Send It to Me" - a better song
Let Me Go" - an even better song
Indian Girl" - hang me out and dry, I LOVE this song
Where the Boys Go" - an ok song
Down in the Hole" - barely a song
Emotional Rescue" - excellent live song, trendy forgettable polished studio song
She's So Cold" - a bewdy, really excellent song
All About You - a give or take song

An OK album - the start of their demise as potent studio musicians/composers? Even the cover - for an album called EMOTIONAL Rescue, it is completely devoid of any emotion. There's just something about the album that strikes me as The Stones, trying to be The Stones...cold-ish.

Rod

Date: October 12, 2017 11:52

bitusa2012
Dance, Pt. 1 - filler. An outtake surely! But a song?
Summer Romance" - a song
Send It to Me" - a better song
Let Me Go" - an even better song
Indian Girl" - hang me out and dry, I LOVE this song
Where the Boys Go" - an ok song
Down in the Hole" - barely a song
Emotional Rescue" - excellent live song, trendy forgettable polished studio song
She's So Cold" - a bewdy, really excellent song
All About You - a give or take song

An OK album - the start of their demise as potent studio musicians/composers? Even the cover - for an album called EMOTIONAL Rescue, it is completely devoid of any emotion. There's just something about the album that strikes me as The Stones, trying to be The Stones...cold-ish.

You must seriously mean that a 12 bar blues isn't a real song, either, with that logic?

There are many ways of writing songs. It's not about the number of chords, middle eights, bridges or hooks. A one-chord tune might be as brilliant as a musical masterpiece.

To describe Down In The Hole as «barely a song» takes this discussion down in a hole (a low level) where I don't wanna be, though.

Let's agree to disagree on this. I love all the rockers on ER, and I even think they're superior to the rockers on SG, both playing-wise and songwriting-wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 11:52 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 18, 2017 19:49

retired_dog
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
retired_dog
Rockman

Indeed

As you know, my friend, I agree with you SO many times, but I agree that it's a surprise when Powderman is on both our sides! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 18, 2017 21:35

Erik_Snow
retired_dog
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
retired_dog
Rockman

Indeed

As you know, my friend, I agree with you SO many times, but I agree that it's a surprise when Powderman is on both our sides! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Ha, ha - that's exactly what I meant!

Mark that day in your calendar, Erik, because it's an historical date!

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 18, 2017 21:43

I LOVE my Sam Cooke Greatest Hits CD... I fast forward over Tennessee Waltz 90% of the time I put it on. 1/10 times I let it play just to see if it's grown on me at all. Not as of the last time I listened to it.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home