Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Can't You Hear Me Knocking: Kick-ass Perfection
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 1, 2018 11:27

The album is perfection. Is it the only post 60s album with Wyman on every cut?

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 1, 2018 17:35

24FPS
The album is perfection. Is it the only post 60s album with Wyman on every cut?

He's not on You Gotta Move but otherwise, yes, to my knowledge anyway.

Date: September 1, 2018 19:10

I've always found the comments from Mick Taylor etc about 'everyone was putting down their instruments' blah blah blah to be complete bullshit - does it SOUND like anyone put their instruments down?

NO.

Posted by: redkev ()
Date: September 1, 2018 21:00

What I find incredible about the second part of this song (if it really was a jam) is just how tight and perfect every single instrument is. It sounds more like a well rehearsed piece of music where everyone knows their parts and cues down to a T. Rather than some off the cuff jam. In fact it's almost so tight that it doesn't sound like the Stones! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-01 21:05 by redkev.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: September 1, 2018 22:19

I have to say if I had to pick one song that epitomizes the Stones, this is it, particularly that opening riff. I mean, how kick-ass and downright wicked! Cutting, savage! And yes, none of the live versions are as good, tho still good. I don't really care for the latter "jam" portion of the song, they could have let that go. It is definitely my favourite Stones song ever, and from their greatest album, Exile included.

plexi

Date: September 2, 2018 18:42

The way it ends, that's not off the cuff. They downplayed that for some reason. There were too many specific things going on throughout the 'jam' that didn't "just happen".

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 2, 2018 19:03

GasLightStreet
I've always found the comments from Mick Taylor etc about 'everyone was putting down their instruments' blah blah blah to be complete bullshit - does it SOUND like anyone put their instruments down?

NO.
Is that what he claims? I don't buy it...it sounds like a very well-rehearsed piece of music to me. The Stones aren't exactly natural "jammers". It's brilliant no matter how it came about, but then the Stones and those around them are known to embellish.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: September 2, 2018 22:33

Its perfect in its imperfection, and it is a truly improvised jam at the end,where everyone is listening and playing off each other. It's Charlie that keeps it going into the jam, and Keith picks up next, then Bill - which is a nice example of their unique musical relationship, and how an improvised piece of music is built. Bobby and Taylor provide the leads, and the others intertwine around them.

There's no right or wrong when jamming, It's a jazz approach, but with a more blues-based style of music.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 3, 2018 09:59

mosthigh
Its perfect in its imperfection, and it is a truly improvised jam at the end,where everyone is listening and playing off each other. It's Charlie that keeps it going into the jam, and Keith picks up next, then Bill - which is a nice example of their unique musical relationship, and how an improvised piece of music is built. Bobby and Taylor provide the leads, and the others intertwine around them.

There's no right or wrong when jamming, It's a jazz approach, but with a more blues-based style of music.

Several posters above seem fairly certain this ‘improvised jam’ was rehearsed but you won’t even deign to argue the point – well, every iconic band deserves a few legends I suppose and this one is harmless enough (but dude don’t be a gazooney!).

I guess Stones fans can be divided into two types: those who think the jazzy coda elevates ‘Can’t You Hear Me Knocking’ to the level of masterpiece and those who think it’s unwanted sedation. I’m firmly in the latter category. This, I think, is a case where the opening riff is simply too overpowering and seductive for the song’s own good. That riff is all that I want. I don’t even care much for the ‘Help me baby, ain’t no stranger’ part either because it deprives me of that riff. They should’ve just looped the first verse and chorus a la ‘I Don’t Know Why’ into a relentless 5-minute ejaculatory guitar frenzy.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 3, 2018 15:01

GasLightStreet

NO.

Couldn't it be that the original take was - cleverly - edited, like most of their studio cuts?

C

Date: September 3, 2018 15:28

liddas
GasLightStreet

NO.

Couldn't it be that the original take was - cleverly - edited, like most of their studio cuts?

C

Of course. The jam section might have been substantially longer, and they could have edited it and used the best part.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: September 3, 2018 15:46

I still can't believe that we had to wait (with the exception of it being performed in 1971 as a one-off per set list fanatics claims) until the Licks Tour to finally get this tune in concert.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 3, 2018 17:03

Sighunt
I still can't believe that we had to wait (with the exception of it being performed in 1971 as a one-off per set list fanatics claims) until the Licks Tour to finally get this tune in concert.

*delete
(too early for me)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-03 17:04 by 35love.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 4, 2018 02:58

I can't believe the Stones played it in concert when Taylor was with them a few years ago and he didn't come out to play on it. It's a song we does very well!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 4, 2018 03:38

He didn't? I thought he did play on it for some shows during 50 and counting?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 4, 2018 04:31

YES he did!!! May 20th show @ Staples Center L.A. being just one of them, and good lord it was a show for the ages. He also played on Sway, Midnight Rambler, and Satisfaction.

Mick Taylor - Can't You Hear Me Knocking

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 4, 2018 07:20

There is NO ‘bad’ version of CYHMK
I ‘forgot’ about Live Licks CYHMK
found it on Spotify
it’s a zinger man, every.single.RS.time.
include ‘alternate’ release

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 4, 2018 09:45

Swayed1967
mosthigh

Several posters above seem fairly certain this ‘improvised jam’ was rehearsed but you won’t even deign to argue the point – well, every iconic band deserves a few legends I suppose and this one is harmless enough (but dude don’t be a gazooney!).

I guess Stones fans can be divided into two types: those who think the jazzy coda elevates ‘Can’t You Hear Me Knocking’ to the level of masterpiece and those who think it’s unwanted sedation. I’m firmly in the latter category. This, I think, is a case where the opening riff is simply too overpowering and seductive for the song’s own good. That riff is all that I want. I don’t even care much for the ‘Help me baby, ain’t no stranger’ part either because it deprives me of that riff. They should’ve just looped the first verse and chorus a la ‘I Don’t Know Why’ into a relentless 5-minute ejaculatory guitar frenzy.

this sort of explains why fans like me would much prefer 'Dance Little Sister," and others similar. You basically got one chord and one riff for a longgggassss time. then when they change a chord (finally) it's like a huge cosmic vacuum sucking every bit of air out of the eco system. then exploding, and drilling that explosion into your head. now that's only rock and roll.

The first times I played that cut I was increduous. I come from the Little Richard's world-changing lexicon, and this is where it was ALL coming
together for me; similar to some cuts on Exile...this was primo heat on first contact, like frickin BOOM. It's more soaking sucking dangerous then most anything I'd EVER heard from them, or others.

I'm in no way 'offended' by this cut or think it's a 'bust' per se, it's a find LP cut as is, and sounds super on the radio when they give it a go.
But similarly to some of my friends here, and honestly from the very, very
First hearing, that long-ass minor coda pretty much, by arrangement design or convenience (I'm not sure), hobbled and disrepected the sure targetted heat
than sprung from the song's intro, and first repeating slams.
That intro riff is killer.

Date: September 5, 2018 06:11

DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

NO.

C

Of course. The jam section might have been substantially longer, and they could have edited it and used the best part.

They were really good at editing. The worst studio edit is Everything Is Turning To Gold. But CYHMK doesn't sound edited anywhere. Neither does Miss You (the LP version, that is) even though everyone knows it's 300 minutes long on the master.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 7, 2018 06:59

CYHMK is a good song to have playing in the background when you're laundering money and/or dealing drugs. I don't know why, it just seems to fit.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 7, 2018 07:58

…..hhhhaaaaaaa hhhaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GivenToFly15 ()
Date: October 7, 2018 10:58

ryanpow
CYHMK is a good song to have playing in the background when you're laundering money and/or dealing drugs. I don't know why, it just seems to fit.

Have you seen the opening sequence of "Blow" (2001)?

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 7, 2018 11:21

GivenToFly15
ryanpow

Have you seen the opening sequence of "Blow" (2001)?
Yes! It's been used several times in films in the same capacity.

As I posted last year, the entire song could be the soundtrack to criminal mischief. The sleazy opening riff just screams packages of uncut cocaine and piles of 100 dollar bills strewn about a warehouse.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: October 7, 2018 18:59

The live version....: [www.youtube.com]

The Rolling Stones performing 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking' live at Madison Square Garden, New York City, in January 2003

Date: October 8, 2018 18:39

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
liddas
GasLightStreet

NO.

C

They were really good at editing. The worst studio edit is Everything Is Turning To Gold. But CYHMK doesn't sound edited anywhere. Neither does Miss You (the LP version, that is) even though everyone knows it's 300 minutes long on the master.

Amazing. That is what I was coming to say. About the edits of this cut. And Jimmy Miller, and the Johns brothers, and Kimsey, I think. I have heard many of the Stones' classics in raw form. Where I know thAT all the final takes are present. But it sounds nothing close to 'classic'. To 'razor sharp'. And it is not just a matter of levels; or like nowadays outboard gear. I wish I knew exactly what it is they did to push, compress, distill,electrify these tracks.the way they leap out at you; so perfect.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1977
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home