Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Heavy Metal covers of the Rolling Stones
Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: October 6, 2017 00:13

Not sure if anyone has heard these versions, but they're (imho) the best ones I've heard so far:
W.A.S.P. - Paint it Black YouTube
Exodus - Bitch YouTube
Mötley Crüe - Street Fighting Man YouTube
Kiss - 2000 Man YouTube

Both Ozzy and Motörhead have covered Sympathy for the Devil, but frankly, they're not as enjoyable to my ears...!

Re: OT - Heavy Metal covers of the Rolling Stones
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2017 00:40

Either turn it up to 11...

Ministry - Under My Thumb

Ministry - Paint It Black

...or turn it off. winking smiley

To be honest, I can't listen to any heavy metal covers of the Stones unless I'm completly drunk which hasn't happened in quite awhile.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 6, 2017 00:51

Motörhead covered Jumpin' Jack Flash as well.

[www.youtube.com]

Sam Kinison covered Under Thumb:

[www.youtube.com]

Holy @#$%&...this video is SO THE EIGHTIES in all its repugnant, excessive, coke-fueled glory. David Faustino from Married With Children and Ozzy...LOL.

Date: October 6, 2017 00:53

Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest covered Paint It Black for his solo album, Baptizm of Fire:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 6, 2017 03:02

I quite liked Rage Against The Machine's take on SFM.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: October 6, 2017 03:58

Kiss - 2000 Man:

[www.youtube.com]

Oh, never mind, was alreay posted above...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 04:01 by Koen.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: October 6, 2017 10:26

Avenged Sevenflod - As Tears Go By

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Posted by: yvonnedanger ()
Date: October 6, 2017 11:07

Not a Metal but a Punk band... Terrorgruppe covering As Tears Go By.

As Tears Go By - Terrorgruppe

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: October 6, 2017 11:18

Montrose turned ‘Connection’ into a heavy metal ballad which kinda negates the 'heavy metal' aspect but it was a pretty good effort...

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: October 6, 2017 11:51

Not metal:
Sisters of Mercy covered "Gimme Shelter"

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 6, 2017 11:55

Here AC/DC with singer Dave Evans : JJf and HTW, march 1974 !

[acdc-archives.fr]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 6, 2017 12:12

Not heavy metal, but punk, Dead Boys with Tell Me:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 6, 2017 12:29

Love this version of Gimme Shelter by Grand Funk

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 6, 2017 13:13

Sympathy For The Devil - Motörhead

Date: October 6, 2017 15:29

When did AC/DC, Mötorhead and Kiss become heavy metal, btw?

This might be the worst I've heard, btw. Keel, with LSTNT:

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 6, 2017 15:35

Nor quite metal, but Michael Monroe certainly takes the «jumpin'»-part of JJF litterally smiling smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 6, 2017 16:04

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
No matter how much Lemmy insisted that Mötorhead was straight-up rock'n'roll, they recorded plenty of metal songs, particularly in the '90s and '00s:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

It doesn't get much thrashier than that. They put Metallica to shame with some of these numbers.

Date: October 6, 2017 16:06

keefriff99
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
No matter how much Lemmy insisted that Mötorhead was straight-up rock'n'roll, they recorded plenty of metal songs, particularly in the '90s and '00s:

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

It doesn't get much thrashier than that. They put Metallica to shame with some of these numbers.

Heavy metal is a musical style, in which Mötorhead never threaded.

They could play as loud and fast as they wanted, but their style was still rock'n'roll. Same with AC/DC, although Angus flirted a bit with metal antiques in his playing in the 80s. Still blues-based rock'n'roll.

Date: October 6, 2017 16:11

DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Motörhead is classified as Heavy Metal and Hard Rock.

Lemmy:

"We are Motörhead, and we play rock and roll"

Date: October 6, 2017 16:16

I didn't say anything about AC/DC. They've always been rock'n'roll.

You can't listen to the three songs I posted and say that's rock'n'roll. That's metal.

Yes, fundamentally, Mötorhead was a rock'n'roll band, but they flirted with metal throughout their career. Their image fit right in with heavy metal. They were fundamental to the creation of speed and thrash metal. There's a reason they spent the last 25 years repeatedly touring with Overkill, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Anthrax, Dio, Morbid Angel, Exodus, WASP, Sabbath and Heaven and Hell, and were annual fixtures at the Wacken Festival.

Date: October 6, 2017 16:19

runaway
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Lemmy:

Lemmy wrote plenty of Chuck Berry boogie-woogie numbers too. I have no problem calling them a rock'n'roll band, BUT to say they never dabbled in metal is ridiculous. The song Overkill helped to lay the groundwork for entire subgenres of metal. Lemmy wrote some of his heaviest, fastest, double bass-infused songs in the '90s and '00s.

Date: October 6, 2017 16:38

keefriff99
runaway
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Lemmy:

Lemmy wrote plenty of Chuck Berry boogie-woogie numbers too. I have no problem calling them a rock'n'roll band, BUT to say they never dabbled in metal is ridiculous. The song Overkill helped to lay the groundwork for entire subgenres of metal. Lemmy wrote some of his heaviest, fastest, double bass-infused songs in the '90s and '00s.

Lemmy's roots is Fifties/Sixties Rock 'n Roll and you can hear lots of covers while playing with the Head Cat (1999-2015). Motörhead played some fast Rock n Roll that went into heavy such as: March Ör Die, one of their darkest songs for me

Date: October 6, 2017 16:41

runaway
keefriff99
runaway
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Lemmy:

Lemmy's roots is Fifties/Sixties Rock 'n Roll and you can hear lots of covers while playing with the Head Cat (1999-2015). Motörhead played some fast Rock n Roll that went into heavy such as: March Ör Die, one of their darkest songs for me
Indeed. It always gets tiresome to debate musical genres. I think bands can categorize themselves as one genre and still dabble in others.

Are the Stones a rockabilly band or a country band or a Latin band? Of course not, but they recorded songs in all three styles, and many more.

Date: October 6, 2017 16:46

keefriff99
runaway
keefriff99
runaway
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Lemmy:

Indeed. It always gets tiresome to debate musical genres. I think bands can categorize themselves as one genre and still dabble in others.

Are the Stones a rockabilly band or a country band or a Latin band? Of course not, but they recorded songs in all three styles, and many more.

Yep the Stones played a lot of different styles over the years as well garage and hardrock

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 6, 2017 19:21

New Bomb Turks - "Summer Romance"
[youtu.be]

Date: October 6, 2017 20:40

runaway
keefriff99
runaway
keefriff99
runaway
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Lemmy:

Yep the Stones played a lot of different styles over the years as well garage and hardrock

I'd say that before the hair metal and thrash bands of the '80's, and 'heavy metal' became a specific genre, the term was used to describe alot of rock bands that were simply heavy rock and roll. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Kiss, etc. sometimes fell under that label in the '70's, so it's not unrealistic to say Motorhead could be 'heavy metal'. I was hesitant to post those Ministry videos as they're not really 'heavy metal' by the definition as we know it today, but more of 'industrial mayhem' (just made that up). That said, they are indeed heavy no matter how you want to label them.

Date: October 6, 2017 21:21

Hairball
runaway
keefriff99
runaway
keefriff99
runaway
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Lemmy:

I'd say that before the hair metal and thrash bands of the '80's, and 'heavy metal' became a specific genre, the term was used to describe alot of rock bands that were simply heavy rock and roll. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Kiss, etc. sometimes fell under that label in the '70's, so it's not unrealistic to say Motorhead could be 'heavy metal'. I was hesitant to post those Ministry videos as they're not really 'heavy metal' by the definition as we know it today, but more of 'industrial mayhem' (just made that up). That said, they are indeed heavy no matter how you want to label them.
Yes, Ministry is definitely industrial.

It's funny how many heavy bands from the '70s HATE to be called "heavy metal" even if they conclusively are. I guess it's been a maligned genre for years, but as a relatively young person who loves metal, I don't get why so many bands shy from it.

Iron Maiden, Sabbath and Motorhead all tried to dissociate themselves from metal as a genre over the years. Judas Priest and Dio are the only two '70s artists that really embraced the term "heavy metal" and flew the flag for it into the '80s.

I guess part of it was the hair metal craze of the '80s that made it so embarrassing. The funny thing is that most of those bands WEREN'T metal...they were simply playing hard rock with ridiculous outfits and teased up hair, and then the glam makeup came even later.

No wonder Nirvana hit so big and flushed those Sunset Strip bands away. A lot of legitimately good metal bands got caught up in the filter and got tossed away as well though because metal became so instantly uncool once grunge hit big.

Date: October 6, 2017 21:32

Motorhead has nothing to do, musically, with Maiden and Priest.

There are certain requirements for it to be called metal, I believe.

Date: October 6, 2017 21:45

It seems to be a blurry line...Judas Priest's pop metal Living After Midnight for example sounds less heavy metal to me than Motrohead's Ace of Spades, but perhaps my definition is broader.

As Mark Blake wrote in Q magazine, 2016:
"His (Lemmy's) music was one of the foundations of the heavy metal genre".

And when he died, Rolling Stone magazine wrote a story with the headline:

Lemmy Kilmister, Motorhead Singer and Heavy Metal Legend, Dead at 70 ( Lemmy)

Again, there's a blurry line as far as I can tell, and the term 'heavy metal' isn't really a term that can only define certain bands IMO.

Date: October 6, 2017 21:51

See, that's why the whole genre nitpicking annoys me. If you listened to Sabbath's The Wizard without any context, you would think they were a heavy blues Cream ripoff.

Then you listen to the song Black Sabbath or Into the Void off Volume 4. Mind. Blown.

That palm-muted chugging guitar is sort of the hallmark of metal, but many metal songs don't have that.

Like you said, Living After Midnight is a very happy hard rock song...but then these songs are off the same album (British Steel):

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Much heavier and harder, with more of that chugging guitar riff.

So even the same band on the same album can have more hard rock-oriented songs with heavier metal-edged songs.

Here's a Motorhead song from 2002 (Voices from the War):

[www.youtube.com]

Is that rock'n'roll?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home