Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT - Heavy Metal covers of the Rolling Stones
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 6, 2017 21:58

Again, I'm a HUGE Lemmy and Motorhead fan...I'll always call them a rock'n'roll band because that's what Lemmy called them, but there's no way I can listen to many of their songs and not say that their music and image wasn't very much infused with metal.

Like I said, they spent the last 25 years touring almost exclusively with metal bands. That's not an accident.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 21:59 by keefriff99.

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: January 16, 2018 12:56

Puddle of Mudd - Gimme Shelter: [youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-16 13:00 by spunky.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: January 16, 2018 14:11

Ska ! cool smiley Rocks Off

[youtu.be]

Date: January 16, 2018 14:15

keefriff99
See, that's why the whole genre nitpicking annoys me. If you listened to Sabbath's The Wizard without any context, you would think they were a heavy blues Cream ripoff.

Then you listen to the song Black Sabbath or Into the Void off Volume 4. Mind. Blown.

That palm-muted chugging guitar is sort of the hallmark of metal, but many metal songs don't have that.

Like you said, Living After Midnight is a very happy hard rock song...but then these songs are off the same album (British Steel):

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Much heavier and harder, with more of that chugging guitar riff.

So even the same band on the same album can have more hard rock-oriented songs with heavier metal-edged songs.

Here's a Motorhead song from 2002 (Voices from the War):

[www.youtube.com]

Is that rock'n'roll?

Yes. Classic sleaze rock, not heavy metal.

The part with the talking has a guitar playing borderline metal for a few seconds, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-16 14:18 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: January 16, 2018 19:30

FrogSugar
Not sure if anyone has heard these versions, but they're (imho) the best ones I've heard so far:
W.A.S.P. - Paint it Black YouTube
Exodus - Bitch YouTube
Mötley Crüe - Street Fighting Man YouTube
Kiss - 2000 Man YouTube

Sorry, that is simply not my cup of tea!

d.f

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 16, 2018 19:38

Soundgarden - Stray Cat Blues ... the ultimate Stones cover!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 16, 2018 20:17

Speaking of Lemmy and Heavy Metal (again), just found an article from last year about a new Heavy Metal Hall of Fame:

Dio, Lemmy, Rhoads for Hall Of Heavy Metal History

News / 07 Dec 2016 / by Stef Lach

Motorhead

"Ronnie James Dio, Lemmy and Randy Rhoads will be among the first stars to be inducted into the newly-formed Hall Of Heavy Metal History.
The organisation's inaugural event takes place at the Anaheim Expo Center in Anaheim, California, on January 18 and will be hosted by Eddie Trunk.
Proceeds from ticket sales will be donated to the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund.
The other six artists to be inducted are Rudy Sarzo, Frankie Benali, Ross ‘The Boss’ Friedman, Vinny Appice, Don Airey and President of Sabian Cymbals Andy Zildjian.

Dio's widow Wendy will accept his prize, while the Rhoads family will be there to accept Randy's award. A special guest is being lined up to accept Lemmy's award.
Hall Of Heavy Metal History President Pat Gesualdo tells TeamRock: "We are speaking to a few people right now about Lemmy's induction and we will shortly announce who will be there to accept his award.
"This event is something the fans have been wanting for a long, long, time. As a non-profit organisation, we are also dedicated to working with Wendy Dio and the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up And Shout Cancer Fund."
A range of ticket options is available now from the official website.

Former Black Sabbath and Rainbow frontman Dio died from stomach cancer in 2010. Motorhead icon Lemmy passed away late last year, also from cancer.
And Ozzy Osbourne guitarist Rhoads died in 1982 in a place accident while on tour".

Looks like a cool website and a good cause>Hall of Heavy Metal History

Our Mission

The HALL OF HEAVY METAL HISTORY® not only enshrines forever those legendary Heavy Metal Musicians who are responsible for making Heavy Metal what it is today, we are also dedicated to helping children fight cancer.

And this video from 1999. From video description: "Lemmy,Phil and Eddie talk about Motorhead as part of the Top Ten Heavy Metal U.K. T.V. special from 1999 which Lemmy also presented".
Cool to see all three of the classic lineup talking about Motorhead, yet sad to know they've all passed away now.

Lemmy on Motorhead - 1999 'Top Ten Heavy Metal' U.K. show presented by Lemmy himself!

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 17, 2018 00:03

treaclefingers
I quite liked Rage Against The Machine's take on SFM.

[www.youtube.com]

Intense; a lot of fascinating versions but for me maybe this the most original take; the version that more legitmately owns it in their own way.
Listening to it I got a different impression than the usual 'message' apparent in the lyrics. M&K's ironic admission/assertion, maybe representing the 'reality-based' pragmatism of 'compromise solution...'

With Rage's original interp; that 'siren' thing is haunting. the relative 'modernity' of the production approach and vision, compared to the classic original that inspired this performance......
...well i got the impression that Zack (in character) WAS/IS the street-fighter, and there's "no place' for him in their heirarchy, but he's still the street-fighter, more egging it on and declaring it, rather than backing off...

...well what would you expect from a band that covers MC5 Kick Out The Jams, and makes it work...
thanks for the tip; really got off on this version.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 17, 2018 02:07

Just listened to a few of these. Heavy metal really sucks.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: January 17, 2018 07:24

I guess not really heavy metal but I always liked under my thumb covered by Canadian band Streetheart

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: January 17, 2018 13:04

[youtu.be]

Yeeeaaaaaaaaarrrrgghhhhhh!!!

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: January 18, 2018 02:49

vertigojoe
[youtu.be]

Yeeeaaaaaaaaarrrrgghhhhhh!!!
Damn! That was fun.

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: January 18, 2018 03:07

Wow - I completely forgot about this Twisted Sister cover. It is a good one. And I used to own it on a 12" maxi-single. I was huge into Twisted around the time Stay Hungry was on the charts.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: April 2, 2022 09:30

Black'n roll band Vreid - Paint it, Black.

As part of a "Songs that changed the world" initiative by the Nobel Peace Center.
I still think it makes no sense to try to mimic the Stones, but this one is actually quite smooth.

[youtu.be]

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: April 2, 2022 13:48

The Dead Daisies - Bitch. Cool version!
video: [youtu.be]

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 2, 2022 17:19

hopkins
treaclefingers
I quite liked Rage Against The Machine's take on SFM.

[www.youtube.com]

Intense; a lot of fascinating versions but for me maybe this the most original take; the version that more legitmately owns it in their own way.
Listening to it I got a different impression than the usual 'message' apparent in the lyrics. M&K's ironic admission/assertion, maybe representing the 'reality-based' pragmatism of 'compromise solution...'

With Rage's original interp; that 'siren' thing is haunting. the relative 'modernity' of the production approach and vision, compared to the classic original that inspired this performance......
...well i got the impression that Zack (in character) WAS/IS the street-fighter, and there's "no place' for him in their heirarchy, but he's still the street-fighter, more egging it on and declaring it, rather than backing off...

...well what would you expect from a band that covers MC5 Kick Out The Jams, and makes it work...
thanks for the tip; really got off on this version.

and 4 years later...you're welcome!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1155
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home