Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11
Re: OT: R.I.P. Tom Petty
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 20, 2018 12:26

KingmanBarstow
black n blue
Get off the road and take care of yourself the fans would understand. What a damn shame not to see this.

So agree with that; the report says that he did it (the tour) for the fans. The family hope that the release of the report will spark more query into the opioid crisis.

Yeah I remember reading that RS interview in the middle of the tour when he was in Denver and came away with a strange feeling...WTH was he thinking going on the road with a damaged hip, why not take some time-off and have it taken care of.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: January 20, 2018 16:25

wonderboy
Sad that any doctor would prescribe opiates to a heroin addict.

...Was he, then?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 20, 2018 16:51

[www.google.com]

Let’s get right to this. In a world of headlines, this is going to be a big one. I told my editor about Petty’s heroin addiction in the ‘90s. She said, ‘how does a 50-year-old become a junky?’
That happens when the pain becomes too much and you live in a world, in a culture, where people have reached in the direction of heroin to stop the pain. He’s a rock and roller. He had had encounters with people who did heroin, and he hit a point in his life when he did not know what to do with the pain he was feeling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-20 16:52 by 35love.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: January 20, 2018 18:45

Sad to hear this but I thought it had to be something on the lines of self-medication that overcame him. Just don't understand how he couldn't learn from the recent passing of Prince how dangerous all these man made synthetics are these days. But we were not in his body, only him and not knowing what kind of pain he was experiencing. Guess he gave it all for Rock n Roll... RIP Tom

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: January 20, 2018 19:13

RoughJusticeOnYa
wonderboy
Sad that any doctor would prescribe opiates to a heroin addict.

...Was he, then?

It's well documented that he was an addict, and his death certainly reinforces that.
You give pain medication to a non-addict, they take what is prescribed. You give pain medication to an addict he or she is going to take too much.
So I put responsibility on the doctors, and also on Petty himself. If you know you have a problem, at some point you are responsible for your recovery.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: January 20, 2018 19:30

I wonder why he didn't put himself in the hospital immediately after tour and get the hip taken care of? It doesn't make sense. Maybe a fear of surgery? I had a friend who died rather than undergo surgery.

Date: January 20, 2018 19:42

steffialicia
I wonder why he didn't put himself in the hospital immediately after tour and get the hip taken care of? It doesn't make sense. Maybe a fear of surgery? I had a friend who died rather than undergo surgery.

Could be that he would have had to detox and get clean before he went into surgery and he wasn't ready/couldn't do that.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 20, 2018 19:45

wonderboy
steffialicia

Could be that he would have had to detox and get clean before he went into surgery and he wasn't ready/couldn't do that.

As John Lennon would have said: 'Another victim of the drugs scene'.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 20, 2018 21:58

jlowe
wonderboy
steffialicia

As John Lennon would have said: 'Another victim of the drugs scene'.

I've had hip trouble like that, eventually getting it replaced. Turns out it was just the first blow in a long battle. Anyway, extremely painful. I'm shocked he gutted out a tour in that condition. With the list of meds he was on, it would be easy to make a mistake. I sometimes can't remember if I took something but if I get off schedule I pay a severe price. This is all doctor directed. I can't help but wonder how all these people are getting prescribed fenatyl. I don't think my docs would prescribe that unless the end was imminent. Have enough trouble with what I have to take already. Living in constant severe pain drains you. I've fought the good fight but am getting worn out. I always wait until I can absolutely can't stand it anymore before I let the docs increase dosages. It's a quality of life & ability to function thing. RIP Tom. & Prince.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: January 20, 2018 22:19

Don't insurance companies have testing requirements before insuring tours? So many of these people have overdosed during or between tours.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 21, 2018 05:09

I am member of a facebook group in honour of Bill Graham. One issue was Elvis' doctor's recipe right bevor his death. My initial thoguhts were why is he so depressive though he is a famous person beloved by the world.
The same goes for Tom Petty. No, it's not cynical. He should have learned of Elvis' example.
Don't misunderstand me: To us it might seem strange that some people are not happy though they seem to have all the material and immaterial love needed. It's somehow the same with Ronnie's booze problems.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 21, 2018 09:09

Another madman has killed himself accidentally. Simple as that.

Date: January 21, 2018 10:24

Madman?

Date: January 21, 2018 10:43

JJHMick
I am member of a facebook group in honour of Bill Graham. One issue was Elvis' doctor's recipe right bevor his death. My initial thoguhts were why is he so depressive though he is a famous person beloved by the world.
The same goes for Tom Petty. No, it's not cynical. He should have learned of Elvis' example.
Don't misunderstand me: To us it might seem strange that some people are not happy though they seem to have all the material and immaterial love needed. It's somehow the same with Ronnie's booze problems.

I think I misunderstand you.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 21, 2018 11:02

DandelionPowderman
Madman?

Yes, I call it mad if an intelligent man uses extremely dangerous painkillers.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 21, 2018 11:06

wonderboy
steffialicia

You have something there. Or that he was too embarrassed by his drug intake and he knew that everyone would know about it if he was forced to clean up for a week in the hospital prior to them operating on his hip.

Date: January 21, 2018 11:12

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Madman?

They are all dangerous. And it is so easy to second guess what others should do when faced with crippling pain.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 21, 2018 11:51

Palace Revolution 2000
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Madman?

They are all dangerous. And it is so easy to second guess what others should do when faced with crippling pain.

thumbs up

Date: January 21, 2018 15:13

I respect that often people get hooked on painkillers because a doctor gives them for serious pain. This is a serious issue.
But that doesn't appear to be the case for Petty. He was an addict long before his '50s.
And I give young people or people new in addiction more leeway, but he was old enough to know better. And while the rock and roll lifestyle was a barrier, it also gave him access to recovery options, not to mention that many people in music are in recovery these days.
This is very sad, and could have been treated. Anybody in this situation, know that.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 21, 2018 16:17

arm chair doctors and psychiatrists on this site are disturbing....Petty made a mistake....thousands make similar mistakes all the time...mixing over the counter cold medications with other medications at bed time and never waking up....sad story...unfortunate....perhaps others will learn from this tragedy...rip Tom Petty.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 21, 2018 18:26

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Madman?

What an ignorant statement. You know nothing about addiction.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: January 21, 2018 21:07

Cooltoplady
Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Madman?

What an ignorant statement. You know nothing about addiction.

Seriously. The guy did what he had to do to fulfill the commitment of the tour.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 21, 2018 21:46

Monsoon Ragoon
DandelionPowderman
Madman?

Are you kidding me? You know nothing.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 29, 2018 15:29

Chris Stapleton & Emmylou Harris - "Wildflowers" at the 2018 Grammys

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 29, 2018 15:40

35love

That happens when the pain becomes too much and you live in a world, in a culture, where people have reached in the direction of heroin to stop the pain. He’s a rock and roller. He had had encounters with people who did heroin

True! Who's the musician who said "on heroin I could have watched someone cut my leg with a saw and I would have smiled at him"?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 29, 2018 16:10

dcba
35love

That happens when the pain becomes too much and you live in a world, in a culture, where people have reached in the direction of heroin to stop the pain. He’s a rock and roller. He had had encounters with people who did heroin

True! Who's the musician who said "on heroin I could have watched someone cut my leg with a saw and I would have smiled at him"?

Sorry mate, that was not my quote. RIP Tom Petty.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: January 29, 2018 23:24

No interest in chiming in on his cause of death but having read back through this thread I can honestly say Tom Petty is still on daily rotation at my house. My three year old's favorite tune is 'The Waiting' - There is no bad time or place to crank some TP and the Heartbreakers

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 29, 2018 23:27

Gaetzi
No interest in chiming in on his cause of death but having read back through this thread I can honestly say Tom Petty is still on daily rotation at my house. My three year old's favorite tune is 'The Waiting' - There is no bad time or place to crank some TP and the Heartbreakers

I wholeheartidly agree that he has still been getting regular play in my house as well. Just heard Room At The Top yesterday. We've had an insane number of rock star deaths in the last 3 years, but I'd definitely say Petty is at the top of saddest and far too young. Right along with Bowie, Prince, maybe Glenn Frey nearly rounding out the top 5. Petty, along with Prince, arguably stings the most because it seemed preventable and they were still creating great records and career moments.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: January 29, 2018 23:31

Gaetzi
thumbs upsmileys with beer Right on man! Same at my house.

Posted by: 06230 ()
Date: January 30, 2018 02:54

Rip This
arm chair doctors and psychiatrists on this site are disturbing....Petty made a mistake....thousands make similar mistakes all the time...mixing over the counter cold medications with other medications at bed time and never waking up....sad story...unfortunate....perhaps others will learn from this tragedy...rip Tom Petty.

Volia .. It is what it is . sad but shit happens.

for me, I only got into his music in the last ten years or so but hey when ya do..

a true rocker, will be missed ..

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 9 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2050
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home