Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11
Re: OT: R.I.P. Tom Petty
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 4, 2017 21:39

wonderboy
The reports about him being in a lot of pain are worrisome. I fear something like the circumstances around Prince's death are possible.

Yes...maybe.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 4, 2017 22:45

Donnebr
In Buffalo was he & a guest sitting at the front of the pit. I recall seeing a guy that looked so much like him but figured he would be back stage. At the end of the show security came & got him & brought him back stage. Always wondered if it was him. RIP.

Probably was, Rod Stewart sat in front like that in Kansas City.

Posted by: RogerStones ()
Date: October 4, 2017 23:38

I know, it's only rock'n roll but I like it !!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 5, 2017 00:02

Jah Paul
Tom's final interview (from last Wednesday)...

[www.latimes.com]

And here's the last 10 minutes of his last show at the Hollywood Bowl on 9/25 - a bit of You Wreck me and then American Girl in it's entirety.

Here's what the video uploader wrote:

"My tears are falling down as i write this as the news of Tom's death from cardiac arrest is reported.
Unbelievable that one week to the day of this Hollywood Bowl performance, last show of the 40th anniversary tour, Tom would have left us".
Tom Petty you were a shining light in this world, a very special human being whose music impacted so many.
From TPATH to Mudcrutch to Traveling Wilburys your music will live on forever. Thoughts and prayers for all who loved Tom. RIP sad smiley
"

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers~Last Two Songs~You Wreck Me/American Girl~Hollywood Bowl~9/25/2017

Very bittersweet to watch - he seems in very good spirits, even signing autographs at the very end of the show for a few in the front row..and then limping a bit off off stage for what would be the last time...

"Well it's all right, we're going to the end of the line..."

RIP TOM PETTY

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 5, 2017 02:06

Yes, bittersweet is the word. RIP. So sorry for his friends/family.

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: October 5, 2017 03:47

keefriff99
Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner
Some might not want to hear or read it, but drug use. A person might not O.D. from it, but extended use of coke, heroin, pills, etc. over time, even if you eventually quit it all, wracks your body and eventually gets you anyway at a relatively young age.

Johnny Cash and his lifelong adult use of pills comes to mind. Cash seemed old and ancient but he was only 72 went he left. More recently, Glenn Frey. He used coke and Lord knows what else for years and years, leaving him with all manner of internal issues that eventually overtook him at 67 and now Petty. His coke use is legendary through the decades and the man STARTED to use heroin in his 50's. If people don't think all that abuse doesn't weaken your heart, liver, kidneys, stomach, etc., they're sadly mistaken. Someone in this thread earlier made a post that said Peter Wolf mentioned Petty needed hip surgery. If you watch a video of Petty walking offstage after his last song a week ago Monday night at the Hollywood Bowl, he's most definitely got a limp.

Using usually will make you a shell of your former self. See Richards, Keith. Old age is bad enough. Using, however, even if one quit years ago, still comes back to visit you in the form of a bad heart, malfunctioning kidneys, ulcers, (Frey), bone degeneration, poor memory, arthritis, you name it. All those things can happen anyway, but it makes no sense to hurry them along. Malcolm Young might have developed dementia anyway, but don't kid yourself that using didn't clear the way for an early arrival.

Using isn't glamorous, it isn't pretty, it isn't cool and being elegantly wasted is NOT a great long term strategy. It IS usually, sadly, fatal.
I agree for the most part, but the body is very resilient and can heal itself from some pretty extreme abuse.

The liver in particular is amazing for its self-healing properties, provided you don't abuse it to the point of destruction.

There are a lot of artists who quit in their 30s and 40s and have lived long, healthy lives.

Not always. Ask David Crosby.
I clearly said there are limits.

And blaming drugs, for example, for Glenn Frey is a bit foolish. He had multiple health problems unrelated to drug use. He had rheumatoid arthritis, and long-term use of medication led to colitis and pneumonia. He died from complications due to gastrointestinal surgery.

Why are Don Henley and Joe Walsh healthy? Why are Keith and Ronnie still vertical? It's silly to claim that drug abuse inevitably leads to early death. Many people recover and thrive.

You're kidding about Frey, right? What do you think hastened those health issues? That's exactly the point of my post. If I were Henley and Walsh I'd be in my doctor's office today.

To top off, Petty was a chainsmoker. Combine that with the drug use and he was asking to die.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 03:49 by Long John Stoner.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 5, 2017 04:05

Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner
Some might not want to hear or read it, but drug use. A person might not O.D. from it, but extended use of coke, heroin, pills, etc. over time, even if you eventually quit it all, wracks your body and eventually gets you anyway at a relatively young age.

Johnny Cash and his lifelong adult use of pills comes to mind. Cash seemed old and ancient but he was only 72 went he left. More recently, Glenn Frey. He used coke and Lord knows what else for years and years, leaving him with all manner of internal issues that eventually overtook him at 67 and now Petty. His coke use is legendary through the decades and the man STARTED to use heroin in his 50's. If people don't think all that abuse doesn't weaken your heart, liver, kidneys, stomach, etc., they're sadly mistaken. Someone in this thread earlier made a post that said Peter Wolf mentioned Petty needed hip surgery. If you watch a video of Petty walking offstage after his last song a week ago Monday night at the Hollywood Bowl, he's most definitely got a limp.

Using usually will make you a shell of your former self. See Richards, Keith. Old age is bad enough. Using, however, even if one quit years ago, still comes back to visit you in the form of a bad heart, malfunctioning kidneys, ulcers, (Frey), bone degeneration, poor memory, arthritis, you name it. All those things can happen anyway, but it makes no sense to hurry them along. Malcolm Young might have developed dementia anyway, but don't kid yourself that using didn't clear the way for an early arrival.

Using isn't glamorous, it isn't pretty, it isn't cool and being elegantly wasted is NOT a great long term strategy. It IS usually, sadly, fatal.
I agree for the most part, but the body is very resilient and can heal itself from some pretty extreme abuse.

The liver in particular is amazing for its self-healing properties, provided you don't abuse it to the point of destruction.

There are a lot of artists who quit in their 30s and 40s and have lived long, healthy lives.

Not always. Ask David Crosby.
I clearly said there are limits.

And blaming drugs, for example, for Glenn Frey is a bit foolish. He had multiple health problems unrelated to drug use. He had rheumatoid arthritis, and long-term use of medication led to colitis and pneumonia. He died from complications due to gastrointestinal surgery.

Why are Don Henley and Joe Walsh healthy? Why are Keith and Ronnie still vertical? It's silly to claim that drug abuse inevitably leads to early death. Many people recover and thrive.

You're kidding about Frey, right? What do you think hastened those health issues? That's exactly the point of my post. If I were Henley and Walsh I'd be in my doctor's office today.

To top off, Petty was a chainsmoker. Combine that with the drug use and he was asking to die.
Oh, c'mon. Drug abuse doesn't cause rheumatoid arthritis. My Mom has arthritis and has never done a drug in her life...what can we blame that on?

Some people are just cursed with bad health in old age. Again, Keith and Ronnie should have been dead 10-15 years ago if the correlation between drug use and bad health was as direct as you're suggesting.

Date: October 5, 2017 04:10

Again, I'm not suggesting doing coke or heroin for 20 years doesn't cause physical and mental damage to a person, but plenty of rock stars have sobered up in their 30s and 40s, started working out and eating right, and are doing just fine. The human body CAN withstand a tremendous amount of abuse.

Date: October 5, 2017 04:23

RogerStones

Is this photo of TP, Keith and Jackson Brown from a Rock hall induction?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 5, 2017 13:39

swimtothemoon
Is this photo of TP, Keith and Jackson Browne from a Rock hall induction?

Yes. 2004 in NYC.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 5, 2017 13:46

@Long John Stoner & @keefriff99 -

You've made your points. Now if you'd be so kind, show a modicum of respect and stfu. Thank you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 14:08 by bye bye johnny.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: October 5, 2017 15:41

detroitken
Does anyone know of a TP online site like iorr that has forums etc ??I rember hooking up with some TP fans the last time I saw him,maybe zombie zoo ??
[www.mudcrutch.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 5, 2017 17:02

swimtothemoon
RogerStones

Is this photo of TP, Keith and Jackson Brown from a Rock hall induction?

Probably. Don't forget Billy Gibbons

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 5, 2017 17:16

RIP Tom Petty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 17:31 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 5, 2017 18:00

"I Need To Know" has a great, Stonesy feel.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: October 5, 2017 18:32

How/why did this turn into a discussion and lecture on drugs?

Rock and Roll didn't get much better than Tom Petty. He was the soundtrack to MANY people's lives.You could argue he was the soundtrack to a generation born in the 70s-80s the way the Stones were the soundtrack for folks born in the 50s-60s. The guy wrote so many great songs. Obviously I didn't know him but he came across as humble, appreciative and just generally happy/thankful to be able to be the guy he was. Every time I saw him I left w the same thought "I forgot how many amazing songs this SOB has written" -You'd go to the show with this list of songs you were hoping to hear, you'd get 2-3 but every song he played was a classic. And his band? Consummate professionals. Mike Campbell is a legendary guitar player. Both Stan Lynch and Steve Ferrone are such solid, in the pocket drummers. Of the Charlie Watts vein- rock solid without a lot of flash. I don't know if "underrated" is the right word but it was more like I took him for granted. He was just always there. It's not like I didn't appreciate him and his songs but it wasn't too often I'd play a Petty album (even though I own most of them and know them all front to back). But every time one of his songs came on the radio you know I'd crank it up. I haven't stopped listening to TP since he died and I don't have much interest in stopping. He never released a clunker of an album!

On a strange note, the last time I saw Tom Petty was at Red Rocks, 10/3/14, three years plus one to the day he died. It was like 40 degrees and rainy, TP was wearings Uggs. But he put on one hell of a show. And he played Little Feat's Willin'- Anyone that covers that song immediately earns my respect. A sad day for rock and roll but at least all that great music will outlive any of us. RIP Tom.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:52

RIP - TP - beautiful melody and song.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:53

stone4ever
SomeTorontoGirl
MisterDDDD
I'd read Tom (and saw in his last videos) was in need of total hip replacements but was putting it off.. (as I am right now, both hips)

Makes me wonder what he may have been taking for the pain. I have had two rounds of cortisone shots while I postpone the surgeries, and plenty of pain pills prior to that. He is in such obvious discomfort, makes me concerned they may have been a factor, to the point of calling the doc to get myself on the schedule(again).

They can be brutal. I was on so many pain meds before mine were done that there were even more meds to protect my stomach from them. All of them gone the day after surgery, thankfully. Those, combined with smoking and whatever other 'risk' factors that may or may not exist can affect everyone differently and would have been on the radar of any Doc doing a pre-tour physical. He was quoted as saying he wanted to slow down and spend more time with his grandkids - maybe he was also trying to take care of himself as we all must. Good luck, MisterDDDD, listen to your Doc and your body and get 'em done if you need to. Life is too short for that kind of pain. And whatever it was that took Tom Petty so early, I'm too busy feeling like shit about it to try to judge or speculate.

These last two posts have me worried, i have been in hideous pain for months because of my sciatic nerve, i am taking morphine and about 4 other powerful prescribed drugs to combat the agony. I am also drinking heavy because i feel past caring, i wonder if i am harming my body long term. I need a new hip and spinal surgery but refuse operations.
Thank God for iorr , it takes my mind off of the pain.

Had both hips done. One in 2009 and the other in 2010. Fabulous results. Back to being extremely active and dancing my ass off at Stones concerts. This is a very common surgery nowadays.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 5, 2017 21:08

OpenG
RIP - TP - beautiful melody and song.

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you for this...the Mojo album is one I've never fully explored.

Date: October 5, 2017 21:36

I've been on a three day Petty binge that has no end in sight and I'm getting more convinced the guy never wrote a bad song.

Date: October 5, 2017 21:51

Gaetzi
I've been on a three day Petty binge that has no end in sight and I'm getting more convinced the guy never wrote a bad song.
His consistency is incredible. I know he's a beloved artist, but even then, I think he's underrated.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 5, 2017 22:51

Gaetzi

I'm on board with this. And I also have been on a Petty bender.

Another viewing of Running Down a Dream is on deck. Fabulous film.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 5, 2017 23:24

This is the R.I.P Tom Petty thread. Please show respect and keep discussions on drugs, doctors, painkillers and other smalltalk elsewhere. Thank you.

Bjornulf

Date: October 5, 2017 23:31

[www.panicstream.net]

This may be TP and the Heartbreakers at their absolute peak- Live at the Fillmore West, San Francisco, California, February 7, 1997. The last night of a sold out 20 night stand. Killer SBD recording

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 23:32 by Gaetzi.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: October 6, 2017 01:09

Been away so only saw the news today. What a dreadful piece of news to start with. So blessed to have seen him at Hyde Park this year. RIP Tom, a true legend.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: October 6, 2017 01:20

at their absolute peak- Live at the Fillmore West

Thank you! You made my night! I requite with this:

changed

Date: October 6, 2017 02:49

bye bye johnny
swimtothemoon
Is this photo of TP, Keith and Jackson Browne from a Rock hall induction?

Yes. 2004 in NYC.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Great! Thanks.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 6, 2017 04:09

I'm still in mourning. Never met the man, but it's like losing a close friend.

Besides his genius as a performer and songwriter, there was something about Tom ... his genuineness and his humor ... that cut through all the clutter.

This interview captures what a wonderful spirit he had.

[www.youtube.com]

RIP Tom, and thank you for all the joy you brought.

Drew

Date: October 6, 2017 06:31

Gaetzi

I pretty much agree. he has some albums that are overall a bit weaker than others but he doesn't have a release that I would say is just bad

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: October 6, 2017 09:00

Thank you for that concert! Awesome!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 7 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home