Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: OT: R.I.P. Tom Petty
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 3, 2017 18:26

Long John Stoner
Some might not want to hear or read it, but drug use. A person might not O.D. from it, but extended use of coke, heroin, pills, etc. over time, even if you eventually quit it all, wracks your body and eventually gets you anyway at a relatively young age.

Johnny Cash and his lifelong adult use of pills comes to mind. Cash seemed old and ancient but he was only 72 went he left. More recently, Glenn Frey. He used coke and Lord knows what else for years and years, leaving him with all manner of internal issues that eventually overtook him at 67 and now Petty. His coke use is legendary through the decades and the man STARTED to use heroin in his 50's. If people don't think all that abuse doesn't weaken your heart, liver, kidneys, stomach, etc., they're sadly mistaken. Someone in this thread earlier made a post that said Peter Wolf mentioned Petty needed hip surgery. If you watch a video of Petty walking offstage after his last song a week ago Monday night at the Hollywood Bowl, he's most definitely got a limp.

Using usually will make you a shell of your former self. See Richards, Keith. Old age is bad enough. Using, however, even if one quit years ago, still comes back to visit you in the form of a bad heart, malfunctioning kidneys, ulcers, (Frey), bone degeneration, poor memory, arthritis, you name it. All those things can happen anyway, but it makes no sense to hurry them along. Malcolm Young might have developed dementia anyway, but don't kid yourself that using didn't clear the way for an early arrival.

Using isn't glamorous, it isn't pretty, it isn't cool and being elegantly wasted is NOT a great long term strategy. It IS usually, sadly, fatal.
I agree for the most part, but the body is very resilient and can heal itself from some pretty extreme abuse.

The liver in particular is amazing for its self-healing properties, provided you don't abuse it to the point of destruction.

There are a lot of artists who quit in their 30s and 40s and have lived long, healthy lives.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: October 3, 2017 18:33

Somewhat Stones/Petty related was a show I saw in Chicago in 2003 when the Heartbreakers did a mini residency at the Vic Theater. It was very cool when they launched into a great rendition of Down Home Girl. While the Stones didn't pen that one, they certainly did a brilliant cover on Now! Petty also did the song supreme justice as well. Great memory for me. TP was a massive Stones fan.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 3, 2017 18:38

Tumbled: "Johnny Cash and his lifelong adult use of pills comes to mind. Cash seemed old and ancient but he was only 72 went he left."

No offense, what is unusual at dying at age 72? I don't know what life expectancy is-

But not to get into an inappropriate "age of dying" issue, I will say this- In 1978 or 1979 ? I was driving around with the car windows down and heard "Don't do me like that." I was blown away by the greatness and simplicity in song

And the song "Handle with Care" ( TW) is flat out one of the greatest R & R songs ever made.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: October 3, 2017 18:41

Does anyone know of a TP online site like iorr that has forums etc ??I rember hooking up with some TP fans the last time I saw him,maybe zombie zoo ??

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 3, 2017 18:47

Dave Davies on FB:
Tom Petty and his band toured with the Kinks early on. I thought he was unique and a beautifully minimalist rocker-
classic stylish and cool- he helped put cool and laidback into R&R
Tom petty kept his cool / head when many rockers of his time were too busy trying to be macho and hip and boringly superficial , loud and obviously.
A huge influence on Rock. When I spent time with him he was polite and respectful. he always seemed a quiet and solitary musician. I Love his band his approach his music his demenour his wonderful songs. exquisite recordings.
Tom petty I applaud your work your legacy and integrity. Long Live your music. God Bless you.
I will miss you but I have your music. Wow thankyou so much for that. - Dave Davies

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 3, 2017 20:07

As a longtime fan, this one is especially difficult. In addition to losing a great songwriter, performer and personality, I will also miss the Heartbreakers - what an incredible band.

Here's a very cool article/interview with TP from 2014...

[www.mensjournal.com]

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 3, 2017 21:25

Tom really didn't get that much respect when he first came on the scene in the late '70s, at least from Rolling Stone magazine. They preferred the punk/new wave acts that were trendy at the time. Tom and the Heartbreakers also had big AM radio hits, which was still considered unhip compared to FM album radio. He was not as important to them as Elvis Costello, since Tom did not write what were considered to be meaningful lyrics. I think they finally came around when he was a Wilbury. He was in an actual band with Bob Dylan, which gave him credibility with those critics who judge music almost entirely by lyrics. He had some very good lyrics, and some great music. He was playing until last week. He had a great life and a great career.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: October 3, 2017 21:28

In Buffalo was he & a guest sitting at the front of the pit. I recall seeing a guy that looked so much like him but figured he would be back stage. At the end of the show security came & got him & brought him back stage. Always wondered if it was him. RIP.

Posted by: resotele ()
Date: October 3, 2017 21:40

wonderboy
Dave Davies on FB:
Tom Petty and his band toured with the Kinks early on. I thought he was unique and a beautifully minimalist rocker-
Tom petty kept his cool / head when many rockers of his time were too busy trying to be macho and hip and boringly superficial , loud and obviously.
A huge influence on Rock. When I spent time with him he was polite and respectful. he always seemed a quiet and solitary musician. I Love his band his approach his music his demenour his wonderful songs. exquisite recordings.
Tom petty I applaud your work your legacy and integrity. Long Live your music. God Bless you.
I will miss you but I have your music. Wow thankyou so much for that. - Dave Davies

Dave Davies is absolutely right.

Listening now to some Petty (the Live Anthology), and it's just GREAT

RIP Tom

Resotele

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 3, 2017 23:15

Chris Fountain: I was quoting someone else in my post. I was simply agreeing that sometimes the tissue damage is cumulative. Johnny Cash was Not in good shape for many many years.

TP was played loud and often in NoVa. and Md. in the early 1980s thru WHFS the non-commercial radio out of Bethesda, Triangle Towers. good memories.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-03 23:18 by tumbled.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 3, 2017 23:16

that was really a shock,just like that Tom Petty is gone,no warning.huge fan from the first album.saw him the first time on the damn the torpedoes tour and a few times since.the one with Dylan was unforgettable.we're running out of the greats way too fast.

Posted by: tumbled ()
Date: October 3, 2017 23:17

xx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-03 23:19 by tumbled.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: October 4, 2017 00:56

David Fricke said it well...TP was a true believer in rock n roll...probably even more a believer than the 60s artists he idolized as it turned out

Dude could still write songs for the Heartbreakers and Mudcrutch and the band finished the tour last week at the top of their craft...he had more to give which is a shame.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 4, 2017 01:03

JimmyTheSaint
David Fricke said it well...TP was a true believer in rock n roll...probably even more a believer than the 60s artists he idolized as it turned out

Dude could still write songs for the Heartbreakers and Mudcrutch and the band finished the tour last week at the top of their craft...he had more to give which is a shame.

Agree 100%

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 4, 2017 02:22

Stevie Van Zandt called Tom Petty "A brother and true believer."

[twitter.com]

He opened last night's show with a nod to TP - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: October 4, 2017 02:53

Silver Dagger
One of the greatest songwriters of the last 50 years. Tom made 7 or 8 classic albums of those at least 3 are masterpieces. He carried the spirit of rock'n'roll forward from his hero Elvis right through the 60s and bands like the Stones, Beatles, Byrds, Animals, Zombies through new wave when he arrived right through to today. He was a legend and legends never die. Tom you will remain in our hearts forever. RIP incredible musician.

Very well put and nicely said Silver Dagger

sad smiley

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: October 4, 2017 03:04

keefriff99
Long John Stoner
Some might not want to hear or read it, but drug use. A person might not O.D. from it, but extended use of coke, heroin, pills, etc. over time, even if you eventually quit it all, wracks your body and eventually gets you anyway at a relatively young age.

Johnny Cash and his lifelong adult use of pills comes to mind. Cash seemed old and ancient but he was only 72 went he left. More recently, Glenn Frey. He used coke and Lord knows what else for years and years, leaving him with all manner of internal issues that eventually overtook him at 67 and now Petty. His coke use is legendary through the decades and the man STARTED to use heroin in his 50's. If people don't think all that abuse doesn't weaken your heart, liver, kidneys, stomach, etc., they're sadly mistaken. Someone in this thread earlier made a post that said Peter Wolf mentioned Petty needed hip surgery. If you watch a video of Petty walking offstage after his last song a week ago Monday night at the Hollywood Bowl, he's most definitely got a limp.

Using usually will make you a shell of your former self. See Richards, Keith. Old age is bad enough. Using, however, even if one quit years ago, still comes back to visit you in the form of a bad heart, malfunctioning kidneys, ulcers, (Frey), bone degeneration, poor memory, arthritis, you name it. All those things can happen anyway, but it makes no sense to hurry them along. Malcolm Young might have developed dementia anyway, but don't kid yourself that using didn't clear the way for an early arrival.

Using isn't glamorous, it isn't pretty, it isn't cool and being elegantly wasted is NOT a great long term strategy. It IS usually, sadly, fatal.
I agree for the most part, but the body is very resilient and can heal itself from some pretty extreme abuse.

The liver in particular is amazing for its self-healing properties, provided you don't abuse it to the point of destruction.

There are a lot of artists who quit in their 30s and 40s and have lived long, healthy lives.

Not always. Ask David Crosby.

Re: Tom Petty
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 4, 2017 03:37

bye bye johnny
Otis Wilbury (Jeff Lynne) and Lucky Wilbury (Dylan) are still with us.

Previous misinformation aside, so is Charlie T. Wilbury, Jr.

Absolutely!! My Goodness!! I completely forgot that Jeff Lynne was in the band too!!! My bad!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 4, 2017 12:50

Can't stop playing Tom at the moment.

This song is a masterpiece...

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: October 4, 2017 13:49

If I remember correctly, Petty once said of the Stones that they were the band that convinced him that he could be a musician. Elvis was Elvis and The Beatles were Beatles and there wasn't no way he was going to be them, but the Stones played with a kind of ease and relaxation that he thought, yeah man, I could do this.
In my own efforts to play and write music I can't count how many times I've been trying to learn something or write something and found myself thinking of Tom Petty for inspiration: how would Tom do this? How would he make it simpler, more authentic? Where's the true line of the note, chord or song? He was so good at saying what needed saying and no more than that. For me, he's a true artist who knew how to carve away all excess and leave you with nothing but the heart of a song. This one's going to bruise.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 4, 2017 13:49

"High in the morning" is a charming adaption of "Out of control".

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: October 4, 2017 16:35

Long John Stoner
keefriff99
Long John Stoner

Not always. Ask David Crosby.
I clearly said there are limits.

And blaming drugs, for example, for Glenn Frey is a bit foolish. He had multiple health problems unrelated to drug use. He had rheumatoid arthritis, and long-term use of medication led to colitis and pneumonia. He died from complications due to gastrointestinal surgery.

Why are Don Henley and Joe Walsh healthy? Why are Keith and Ronnie still vertical? It's silly to claim that drug abuse inevitably leads to early death. Many people recover and thrive.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: October 4, 2017 18:02

wonderboy
Dave Davies on FB:

I would type a few words about Tom Petty myself, but Dave Davies gets him spot on in the quote above. So I'll stop playing the brilliant new Sticky Fingers live for a bit, and replace that with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, while raising a glass to Tom.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 4, 2017 18:41

Sharon Jones, Charles Bradley, and now Tom Petty. There are three top-shelf backing bands (Dap Kings, Extraordinaires, and Heartbreakers) that just lost their front person.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 4, 2017 20:00

Peter Wolf Describes the Magic of Tom Petty's Final Tour

J. Geils Band frontman recalls his 40-year friendship with the late singer-songwriter, which began and ended on tour together

Courtesy of Peter Wolf

Peter Wolf, the longtime lead singer of the J. Geils Band, was friends with Tom Petty for decades, two second-generation rockers with an encyclopedic knowledge of their craft. "What an unbelievable loss," Wolf wrote on his Facebook. "Tom, may you 'ride down the King's Highway.'" Here is an exclusive remembrance Wolf penned last night for Rolling Stone about his old friend:

I first met Tom when he and the Heartbreakers were the opening act on a J. Geils tour back in 1977. It was a full circle honor for me to be his opening act on the 2017 Heartbreakers' 40th anniversary tour.

Tom and the band definitely had a vision early on of what they wanted to accomplish. Even back then, the audience seemed to understand immediately how special they were, and they received multiple well-deserved encores every night.

The last time I saw Tom was the final night of the recent tour I played with him. We were joking about the time he sent me the song "Don't Do Me Like That," He thought it would be a good song for the Geils band to do - unfortunately we never got around to recording it, so Tom put it on his album, and it became one of his many big hits ... and he certainly was right about that song!

More recently Tom was having hip trouble and in a lot of pain backstage during this summers' tour. He was driven to the performance area in a golf cart and slowly climbed the steps to the stage every night. But what was amazing... once he put on his guitar it seemed like it was a magic wand, taking away every ailment and pain that he was having... and night after night he kept the musical bar high.

That's what I admired about Tom; he worked very hard at everything he did and always with a deep passion and a great sense of dignity. He certainly carved his own way and always stayed one of the good guys!

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 4, 2017 20:05

"We were joking about the time he sent me the song "Don't Do Me Like That," He thought it would be a good song for the Geils band to do..."

If you can imagine Peter Wolfs vocals as well as a wailing harp solo by Magic Dick along with the rest of the band cranking it out, this certainly could have been a great version from the J.Geils Band.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 4, 2017 20:57

Tom's final interview (from last Wednesday)...

[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 4, 2017 21:14

Farewell My Friend by Roger McGuinn

My last night playing with Tom. June 2016 NYC

Before there were books, music recorded our history.

Tom Petty was a historian.

He didn't just write songs. He wrote about the stories, people, and cultures of our times and then he put it all to music.

When he wrote a song, he flew up to the great wide open, caught an idea and would come free falling back to earth. Then he did it again. I know, I had the privilege of writing with him once.

His songs are movies for our imaginations and longer than 4 words. His every verse a diamond and every chorus gold.

His music will always be with me and all of us.

[rogermcguinn.blogspot.com.br]

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: October 4, 2017 21:27

The reports about him being in a lot of pain are worrisome. I fear something like the circumstances around Prince's death are possible.

R.I.P. Tom Petty
Date: October 4, 2017 21:28

I really love "Mary Jane's last dance", very sad to hear about that sad smiley. R.I.P Tom, your great songs will live forever!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1580
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home