Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11
Re: OT: R.I.P. Tom Petty
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 5, 2019 17:12

Palace,
with all due respect, I can't think of a Stones song that brought or brings me to tears.

(Just for the record: Got my first RS record in 1965.
Saw them the first time live in concert in 1967)

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: April 5, 2019 18:28

Written by Patteron Hood, front man of the Drive By Truckers: [bittersoutherner.com]

"There is real honor in being able to write just one Great Song, and Tom Petty has written dozens of those. But real genius is being able to write one Perfect Song — a tune in which any change would diminish it, a song that is already there in its purest and essential form.

I’ve spent my entire life in pursuit of one Perfect Song. Tom Petty wrote at least 10, maybe more. He was a true master of form, structure, hook, and melody. He always wrote with a sense of humor and a tinge of mystery. No wonder his songs soundtrack so many decades of so many people’s lives

Petty was a master of precision and brevity. He could say more with less than any writer I know. There’s a songwriting saying I have always attributed to Petty (although I can’t find the exact source) that says, “don’t bore us, get to the chorus.” In writing a song, it can often take eight lines for the first verse to set up the chorus. Tom was a master at getting there in four — a technical feat that I attempt with every song I try to write. I’m seldom able to pull it off. “The Waiting,” “Refugee,” “Here Comes My Girl,” “Don’t Do Me Like That,” “A Woman In Love,” “You Got Lucky,” “Straight Into Darkness,” and “Change of Heart” are but a few songs that slam into a transcendent chorus at breakneck speed. I’m in personal and professional awe of his ability to do that."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-05 18:30 by Gaetzi.

Posted by: Benjiboy13 ()
Date: April 5, 2019 20:48

Palace,

I disagree with this for one reason--the album Echo. Obviously not one of his big ones but personally it's my favorite. He wrote it going through a divorce, bouts of depression, and with his really good friend Howie Epstein was slipping away to the clutches of his heroin addiction. I think you can hear Tom's pain and somberness throughout. There's a couple on there that, in my opinion, hit you if you happen to stumble across them at the right time.

Especially with him passing a couple years ago, Lonesome Sundown, the title track, and particularly Room at the Top (has an eerie feel now that he's in rock heaven) to be specific. I think if you are missing someone or watching someone you love deteriorate before your eyes, a couple of these songs can really pack a punch! Just my experience but obviously can be different for all.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 6, 2019 09:25

I get where Palace is coming from, but I also wouldn't think you need to judge it on whether a band has ever written a song that's brought you to tears. Have a band like The Who ever done that? I don't know. I think what's incredible about Petty, and which you reference, is that he wrote songs that felt timeless. More importantly, it seemed so effortless. I think thats the real genius of him. He makes you think he just woke up one morning and it just came spilling out. Thats so unbelievably difficult and he made it look so easy. THAT'S the greatness. The fact that he did it time and time again only reinforces it in my mind.

Also, honestly, in the right context the song Wildflowers could definitely bring a tear to my eye. Its a beautiful song. So simple, so perfect.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 6, 2019 13:37

Gaetzi
Written by Patteron Hood, front man of the Drive By Truckers: [bittersoutherner.com]

"There is real honor in being able to write just one Great Song, and Tom Petty has written dozens of those. But real genius is being able to write one Perfect Song — a tune in which any change would diminish it, a song that is already there in its purest and essential form.

I’ve spent my entire life in pursuit of one Perfect Song. Tom Petty wrote at least 10, maybe more. He was a true master of form, structure, hook, and melody. He always wrote with a sense of humor and a tinge of mystery. No wonder his songs soundtrack so many decades of so many people’s lives

Petty was a master of precision and brevity. He could say more with less than any writer I know. There’s a songwriting saying I have always attributed to Petty (although I can’t find the exact source) that says, “don’t bore us, get to the chorus.” In writing a song, it can often take eight lines for the first verse to set up the chorus. Tom was a master at getting there in four — a technical feat that I attempt with every song I try to write. I’m seldom able to pull it off. “The Waiting,” “Refugee,” “Here Comes My Girl,” “Don’t Do Me Like That,” “A Woman In Love,” “You Got Lucky,” “Straight Into Darkness,” and “Change of Heart” are but a few songs that slam into a transcendent chorus at breakneck speed. I’m in personal and professional awe of his ability to do that."

Patterson is a really good writer.

Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: April 6, 2019 15:29

I think Tom Petty is among the all-time greats. His songs are beautifully written and connect to me and many others in a simple, deep way.

Here's just one example -- an obscure song from the first Mudcrutch album. Many of us have watched others around us struggle and give in to addiction when life has thrown them a curveball. Read these lyrics while listening to the song about the pain of not being able to help a friend overcome their troubles. It always chokes me up.

What makes it even sadder now is how Tom passed away.

Orphan of the Storm

An orphan of the storm
She moved to Houston
To live below
That copper colored sky
Louisiana girl
Born into losing
The skyline of the city
Made her cry

So lord send me down
A fallen angel
With a miracle to perform
And I ain't the kind
Who gives up
But I'm so tired of rain
Lord I'm just an
Orphan of the storm

She'd lived there before
When she was using
Now she's standing on
The same old street again
Yeah that hurricane
It blew her back to Houston
Had to give into
The devil's howling wind

So lord send me down
A fallen angel
And I ain't the kind
Who gives up
But I'm so tired of rain
Lord I'm just an
Orphan of the storm

Now somewhere down the line
There must be salvation
She thought it through
20 years ago
But sin spoke
A constant invitation
It was in her veins
And wouldn't let her go

So lord send me down
A fallen angel
And I ain't the kind
Who gives up
But I'm so tired of rain
Lord I'm just an
Orphan of the storm

And I ain't the kind
Who gives up
But I'm so tired of rain
Lord I'm just an
Orphan of the storm

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-06 15:47 by GS1978.

Date: April 6, 2019 17:32

All those are really good answers re Tom Petty.
When I use the phrase "brought to tears", I don't mean it literal in the sense of going "boohoo!'; but where there is a deep emotional response.
When I hear Jagger going :We're going to do one more and then we got to go" and Keith comes in with those chords, the drums crash in, and then Taylor lays it on with the lead lines I get almost overwhelmed. Because it is just...well overwhelming. Or hearing Aretha sing a ballad.
U2 doing "Where the streets have no name" and the lights come on, and the whole place is jumping. Or Arcade Fire, when they were still good. Four Tops harmonies live at the Roostertail.
I'm just naming some first thought s that jump to mind.
I can not quite imagine Tom Petty ever accessing some trigger that deep in me. Deep, but by no means difficult to touch.
But Benjiboy I am going to re-visit "Echo". It is definitely one of Tom's lesser played albums in my room.

I do want to point out that I love Tom Petty. I have every one of his albums, plus many of those live shows out there now. I do prefer the Mach I band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-06 17:34 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: April 6, 2019 19:23

Benjiboy13
Palace,

I disagree with this for one reason--the album Echo. Obviously not one of his big ones but personally it's my favorite. He wrote it going through a divorce, bouts of depression, and with his really good friend Howie Epstein was slipping away to the clutches of his heroin addiction. I think you can hear Tom's pain and somberness throughout. There's a couple on there that, in my opinion, hit you if you happen to stumble across them at the right time.

Especially with him passing a couple years ago, Lonesome Sundown, the title track, and particularly Room at the Top (has an eerie feel now that he's in rock heaven) to be specific. I think if you are missing someone or watching someone you love deteriorate before your eyes, a couple of these songs can really pack a punch! Just my experience but obviously can be different for all.

swingin and free girl now are great tunes from that album too

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 6, 2019 21:52

Palace Revolution 2000
All those are really good answers re Tom Petty.
When I use the phrase "brought to tears", I don't mean it literal in the sense of going "boohoo!'; but where there is a deep emotional response.
When I hear Jagger going :We're going to do one more and then we got to go" and Keith comes in with those chords, the drums crash in, and then Taylor lays it on with the lead lines I get almost overwhelmed. Because it is just...well overwhelming. Or hearing Aretha sing a ballad.
U2 doing "Where the streets have no name" and the lights come on, and the whole place is jumping. Or Arcade Fire, when they were still good. Four Tops harmonies live at the Roostertail.
I'm just naming some first thought s that jump to mind.
I can not quite imagine Tom Petty ever accessing some trigger that deep in me. Deep, but by no means difficult to touch.
But Benjiboy I am going to re-visit "Echo". It is definitely one of Tom's lesser played albums in my room.

I do want to point out that I love Tom Petty. I have every one of his albums, plus many of those live shows out there now. I do prefer the Mach I band.

Again, I really do think I know what you mean. And I would argue that to a lot of people, at least the chorus of Free Fallin has that effect on many many people. I'd argue the song American Girl too.

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: April 6, 2019 23:35

As far as rock ‘n rollers go, Tom Petty was the real deal.
I bet if Keith ever wished he was someone else it was Tom.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 7, 2019 00:05

echo great record swingin is a beautiful song so powerful when he passed it was hard for me I ran the Portland marathon the next day and all the bands they had at the mile markers were playing Tom petty songs American girl at mile 20 brought me to the finish truly great songwriter and great voice and delivery of the song

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 7, 2019 14:41

"Don't Do me like that" is genius in simplicity. Love it.

Refugee is also a great , great song because it rings true no matter the intent. He wrote timeless music,

Also, via wiki, he was suffering from multiple painful physical ailments prior to passing. Wiki is usually reliable but can contain errors as it is driven by the community.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 7, 2019 19:18

While I was never a huge Tom Petty fan. no denying he had dozens of fantastic songs.
I don't own any of of his albums (unless you count Traveling Wilbury's), but he's been ingrained in my head since first hearing Breakdown repeatedly on the radio back in '77/'78, and then American Girl around the same time.
Also my older sister was a big fan who bought all of his records, so I would hear alot of that around the house whether I liked it or not.

I did see him and the Heartbreakers live on the Dylan tour in '86, and while I think they maye have played an opening set first (?), they were a great backing band for Bob which is ultimately what I remember.
Anyhow, so many GREAT tunes....one of these days I'm going to buy a Greatest Hits album of his...might have to be a multi-disk or box set though as I know there's so many of his I like.

Stumbled upon this video recently, and while I've never been a huge fan of Eddie Vedder/Pearl Jam either (except maybe their first album), this is a damn great performance - a near perfect match imo.

The Waiting - Tom Petty & Eddie Vedder

OT: Tom Petty
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: August 20, 2020 19:20

Tom Petty’s ‘Wildflowers & All the Rest’ Project to Be Released in Multiple Configurations This Fall

The editions range from a basic set containing the original 1994 "Wildflowers" album plus a disc of unreleased studio songs to "super deluxe" editions with 70 studio, live and demo tracks.

By Chris Willman

[variety.com]

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 20, 2020 22:46

Be sure to post when you find the SD version cheap in the USA!

thanks!
jb

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 20, 2020 22:50

Tom Petty - Wildflowers: [www.SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: August 20, 2020 23:14

Thanks for that, grabbed the 3 LP Deluxe edition, don't need to splurge on the 7 disk set for that much coin. Am still looking for the Live Anthology 7 vinyl disk set for under 20 USD a disk, might be looking for awhile.

I should note there is a 9 LP version, without all the extra swag, for about 250 that is not listed on those amazon pages. I think it is available only through the tom petty website store.

Too much for my blood especially for an artist I have only slightly more than marginal interest in.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-20 23:20 by jbwelda.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: August 21, 2020 16:44

I'm really looking forward to Wildflower reissued: I'm plumbing for the 5 disc set. It will set me back £140 but I love this album, and its production. It's so much better than Full Moon Fever, and the Rick Rubin influence also worked on the Johnny Cash American Recordings, made at the same time.

Rick was significantly on a roll in that time, producing Wandering Spirit in 1993 for Mick, then the Cash and Petty stuff. He also got the best from Mick Jagger, Johnny Cash, and Tom Petty.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011
Current Page: 11 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1174
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home