Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11
Re: OT: R.I.P. Tom Petty
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 5, 2018 19:34

Eddie Vedder - "Room At The Top" at the 2018 Academy Awards

[youtu.be]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: May 10, 2018 14:10

"Best Tom Petty Interview Ever"
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 10, 2018 17:51

jlowe
wonderboy
steffialicia
I wonder why he didn't put himself in the hospital immediately after tour and get the hip taken care of? It doesn't make sense. Maybe a fear of surgery? I had a friend who died rather than undergo surgery.

Could be that he would have had to detox and get clean before he went into surgery and he wasn't ready/couldn't do that.

As John Lennon would have said: 'Another victim of the drugs scene'.

That John himself is (at least partially) responsible for promoting - glorifying drug use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-10 17:51 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: May 10, 2018 23:29

hopkins
"Best Tom Petty Interview Ever"
[www.youtube.com]

This got me.
Thanks for posting it
(and my previous post here w/ article was weird quote/ IDK,
and thank you to his family respectfully/ R.I.P.

Date: May 11, 2018 00:49

[youtu.be]

American Girl - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Live 12/31/78 - Santa Monica, CA
RIP

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: July 11, 2018 18:11

a "new" unreleased Tom Petty track from an 82 recording session. Even his unreleased stuff is amazing. Of course it is. I still miss the guy and listen to his music almost every day

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-11 18:18 by Gaetzi.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 11, 2018 18:13

Gaetzi
a "new" unreleased Tom Petty track from an 82 recording session. Even is unreleased stuff is amazing. I still miss the guy and listen to his music almost every day

[www.youtube.com]
I've been going through his back catalogue...s/t, Damn the Torpedoes, You're Gonna Get It, Southern Accents, Hard Promises...so incredibly rock-solid and consistent. Not a clunker in the bunch, stellar production.

OT: Tom Petty
Date: July 11, 2018 18:23

Tom Petty ‘An American Treasure’ Boxed Set Track List Revealed, New Song Drops

By Jem Aswad
July 11, 2018

Invision/AP/REX/Shutterstock

[variety.com]

--

"Keep A Little Soul" - [open.spotify.com]

Date: July 11, 2018 18:32

AN AMERICAN TREASURE
Released: September 28, 2018

[www.tompetty.com]

Date: July 11, 2018 18:34

Truly, an American treasure. Some great video footage in that new video. And the song itself is killer

OT: Tom Petty - An American Treasure
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 15, 2018 19:04

Nice read on the upcoming Petty collection. The video for Keep A Little Soul is touching and made me think, "Wow, we're any of us really that young?" I also tend to think the same when I see vids of the early Stones. Many of us have come a long way, baby.

[www.latimes.com]

Re: OT: Tom Petty - An American Treasure
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 15, 2018 19:07

4 disc set available at £16.99 right now on UK Amazon.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 15, 2018 20:44

Silver Dagger
4 disc set available at £16.99 right now on UK Amazon.

Thx for the heads-up!!
pre-ordered immediately.

Posted by: KingmanBarstow ()
Date: September 16, 2018 04:08

dmay
Nice read on the upcoming Petty collection. The video for Keep A Little Soul is touching and made me think, "Wow, we're any of us really that young?" I also tend to think the same when I see vids of the early Stones. Many of us have come a long way, baby.

[www.latimes.com]

Thanks Dmay. Looking forward to this and I ordered it a while back. One of the bands I should have but never did see live for silly reasons probably due to work commitments. I like their “The Live Anthology” too. Love the “Goldfinger,” “Something In The Air,” and “Green Onions” covers.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: September 16, 2018 04:50

Hey, y'all, if you haven't heard it, here's TP and the Heartbreakers doing Goldfinger.

[www.youtube.com]

Here's the version by the Blue Stingrays, a side project of Benmont Tench, Mike Campbell, Ron Blair, along with Randall Marsh.

[www.youtube.com]

Both of these covers are in my permanent ongoing music mix.

Posted by: TE ()
Date: September 16, 2018 10:52

Ah, had a Traveling Wilburies weekend.
Petty on "End of the line", that voice.
What a loss. Harrison, Petty and Bowie.
And of course Orbison.

TE
Oslo

OT: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Date: September 19, 2018 23:16

Mike Campbell on the Heartbreakers: ‘We’ll Play Again Someday’

Guitarist considering Wildflowers tribute show with guest singers, but don’t expect an arena tour anytime soon

By Andy Greene

REX Shutterstock

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: September 20, 2018 03:15

saw opening night of the 83 tour. they played everything and did two encores. people would not stop cheering, so they came out and played 'dixie". cheering still would not stop and TP had to say, "we don't know anymore songs, we gotta go".

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 20, 2018 16:01

I saw them at Cobo Hall in 1981...
the show ended and 90% of the arena emptied out.

Full band came back on stage and played 3-4 songs with the lights on for about 1,000 people. We ran back down from the concourse and got close to the rail of the lower bowl. My buddy, who was driving, walked ahead of us and went out the door and they wouldn't let him back inside. He was NOT thrilled when we made our way back to his car an hour later!

GREAT BAND.

Date: September 20, 2018 17:12

"Gainesville" from 'An American Treasure' - [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 20, 2018 18:53

Gaetzi
a "new" unreleased Tom Petty track from an 82 recording session. Even his unreleased stuff is amazing. Of course it is. I still miss the guy and listen to his music almost every day

[www.youtube.com]

Great video. Thanks Gaetzi. I never get worn out with Petty material. Terrific in the studio and a rockin' act on stage. TP was the real deal. Happy to have seen him and the Heartbreakers tearing it up in the 70's, and many times in between.
Last time a few years ago when Winwood opened for him in Chicago. The Heartbreakers never let us down.

Gonna spring for the next box set soon.

Thanks TP!

Date: September 20, 2018 20:19

Having seen the long documentary (excellent) reading his bio,it is noteworthy that quite a lot of drama revolved around Stan Lynch.

Date: October 2, 2018 20:27

It was one year ago today we lost a truly amazing songwriter, singer and rock and roller. An American treasure, no doubt. I posted it last year but got teared up all over again re reading it today- An amazing eulogy from Drive By Truckers front man Patterson Hood: [bittersoutherner.com]

And the new box set release "An American Treasure" is up on Spotify and youtube and it's fantasitc.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 3, 2018 11:57

Some great songs & versions on the new box set. Very well done set.

Date: October 4, 2018 05:30

that was one good rock and roll soldier; amazing career and humble heart.
a great, great American Songwriter in every way. Hats off and many thanks.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 4, 2018 09:16

I've been kinda going to different songs as the week's gone on. Damn, its still really hard for me to even process he's gone. Just doesn't feel real. I know he wasn't one of the Mount Rushmore's of Rock but @#$%&, he was Tom @#$%& Petty. I can't think of anyone that doesn't like at least one song of his. Such a special humble rock star. If you haven't seen his documentary its really fantastic, and long. His death to me is really akin to someone like Bowie. Someone you just kinda never thought wouldn't be around anymore. Really packed an insane punch that never healed or even processed for me.

Re: OT: Tom Petty
Date: April 4, 2019 18:21

Tom Petty's Widow and Daughters Locked in Legal Battle Over Trust

[www.billboard.com]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 4, 2019 19:34

‘Echo in the Canyon’: See Jakob Dylan, Tom Petty, Brian Wilson, More in New Trailer

Doc celebrates explosion of pop music that came out of L.A.’s Laurel Canyon in the mid-’60s as folk went electric, giving birth to the California Sound

Re: OT: Tom Petty
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 5, 2019 09:52

bye bye johnny
Tom Petty's Widow and Daughters Locked in Legal Battle Over Trust

[www.billboard.com]

this makes me sad

Date: April 5, 2019 16:08

I was just thinking about him the other day. I love most of Tom's output. But I was trying to figure out why I have never quite agreed with him being named among the very greats. His friendship with Harrison and Dylan didn't hurt his status. But there is a reason that they accepted him in the first place. He definitely knew how to write a good song; had a superb band;
I think my slight misgivings come from the notion that he never really gave us songs that dug deep. That really grabbed your soul. I mean he got very close. His earlier material IMO was better. "Here comes my girl", "Even the Losers", "American Girl" have a timeless feel. I can't imagine a Petty song that would bring you to tears though.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 10 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1509
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home