Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12
Re: OT: Las Vegas concert shooting
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 5, 2017 19:40

4 crazed meth heads smash into your house in the middle of the night with the intent of doing a Manson family like ritual on your wife and children.how many guns would you like? 0,1 ? How many rounds would you like to be able to shoot? 5?or 10? Maybe with those gun death stats we could also put up a chart showing the amount of home invasions per year in the States?

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:02

lem motlow
4 crazed meth heads smash into your house in the middle of the night with the intent of doing a Manson family like ritual on your wife and children.how many guns would you like? 0,1 ? How many rounds would you like to be able to shoot? 5?or 10? Maybe with those gun death stats we could also put up a chart showing the amount of home invasions per year in the States?

If I ever felt that a gun was the only way to feel safe in my home, I’d move to a different country.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:10

Yeah.
Home invasions with four+ perps super common, I'm sure eye rolling smiley

If that zillion to one long shot happens to you (and you're not a drug dealer) and one or two "regular" guns w reg clips doesn't save you nothing would have. Good Lawd.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:37

MisterDDDD
Yeah.

If that zillion to one long shot happens to you (and you're not a drug dealer) and one or two "regular" guns w reg clips doesn't save you nothing would have. Good Lawd.

I'm aghast. Home invasions happen all the time. Go onto Google and search on "home invasion" and "violent home invasion" and "<your city> home invasion" and "homeowner shot in home invasion" and "homeowner killed in home invasion." Welcome to the real world. Lawd indeed.

I'll even throw in a bonus search pertaining to the earlier discussion. Search on "DART beating video" and see what comes up.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:39

MisterDDDD
Legislation to help prevent the gun violence wouldn't exactly be a "rush".

As a UK resident, I'm not familiar with the detail above.
Is it fair to say that MALES were responsible for all...or nearly all of the killings?
Also, I believe ALASKA has the highest incidence of gun deaths (suicide rates by gunshot are very high).
Is it fair to assume that looking at statistics per state there is a direct link between gun deaths and ownership?

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:39

I really don't know what the statistics are regarding gun ownership and thwarting home invasions. So many people who own guns keep them secured in lockboxes on top of their closet or in a safe so the kiddies don't get hurt (unfortunately that isn't always foolproof). So, unless you have a gun under your pillow or in a drawer in a nightstand by your bed and are a damn good shot, I feel it's a false sense of security for the most part. Better to have a security system and/or a large dog. Certainly would have helped in the Cheshire Connecticut home invasion case in 2007.

The Tate Murders wasn't a home invasion in the strictest sense. The murderers just walked through the unlocked front door. Evidently, according to one Manson Family member on the scene, one of their victims actually waved hello to them as they walked by one of the bedrooms before the attack. Thought they were friends of the family I guess. Maybe a gun would have helped, but they were caught unaware, so probably not.

Plus haven't some home owners been arrested for shooting people on their property? Don't you have to ultimately prove that this individual was committing a crime. Seems like there have been stories in past regarding this.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:42

jlowe
MisterDDDD

Is it fair to say that MALES were responsible for all...or nearly all of the killings?
Also, I believe ALASKA has the highest incidence of gun deaths (suicide rates by gunshot are very high).
Is it fair to assume that looking at statistics per state there is a direct link between gun deaths and ownership?

Should we ban males? Can I be "grandfathered" in? eye rolling smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:46

Bellajane
I really don't know what the statistics are regarding gun ownership and thwarting home invasions. So many people who own guns keep them secured in lockboxes on top of their closet or in a safe so the kiddies don't get hurt (unfortunately that isn't always foolproof). So, unless you have a gun under your pillow or in a drawer in a nightstand by your bed and are a damn good shot, I feel it's a false sense of security for the most part. Better to have a security system and/or a large dog. Certainly would have helped in the Cheshire Connecticut home invasion case in 2007.

The Tate Murders wasn't a home invasion in the strictest sense. The murderers just walked through the unlocked front door. Evidently, according to one Manson Family member on the scene, one of their victims actually waved hello to them as they walked by one of the bedrooms before the attack. Thought they were friends of the family I guess. Maybe a gun would have helped, but they were caught unaware, so probably not.

Plus haven't some home owners been arrested for shooting people on their property? Don't you have to ultimately prove that this individual was committing a crime. Seems like there have been stories in past regarding this.

Are you thinking of OSCAR PRESTORIUS by any chance?

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:51

lem motlow

I moved into my place 20 years ago. Other people were moving out because of the so called 'druggie' reputation of the place.

It's true that about 12 years ago I did have a dealer living next door and another next door but one and one day I came home to find them fighting with base ball bats in the garden and they did trample my roses once......hmmmm....but shortly after one got 'sent down' (prison) for trying to sell to an undercover cop and the other died............

In 20 years the only home invasion I've suffered over the years has been at the hands of 4 stray cats, who one by one worked their way in.........and never left.

Maybe UK druggies are just more civilised...............no, there have been a few killings in town (mostly with knives) ..........

I don't know....I just feel that to arm myself to protect myself might just bring on the opposite...........

When I had dogs, (so friendly that they would have even been burglar friendly...grinning smiley........I didn't even lock the patio doors of my house when I went out. I used to leave them open so the dogs could get in the garden when they needed to............it was common knowledge on my street but it still worked ok........

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:52

Elmo Lewis
jlowe
MisterDDDD

Should we ban males? Can I be "grandfathered" in? eye rolling smiley

Well, definitely the Republican males, for a good start.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: October 5, 2017 20:54

No, there were two stories here in the U.S. One involved some drunk college student who was in someone's driveway acting strange, so the home owner became afraid and shot him to death. Another story involved a young black woman whose car broke down. She knocked on someone's door for help and the person was afraid because she was black and shot her. In both cases, the homeowner was prosecuted for murder. Sad stories. So is the one about Oscar Prestorious. He's someone who should never have had a gun. He has a very explosive and volatile personality. Hopefully he's changed but that's not much comfort to his girlfriend's loved ones.

Date: October 5, 2017 21:19

I would submit that the chances of going to a concert and getting machine gunned are pretty low also but let's move on-

Single female living alone,rapist breaks into her house in the middle of the night.do we want her with a gun and trained to use it or no gun? And how many bullets can she have. 2, 5 as many as she wants ?

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: October 5, 2017 21:26

lem motlow
I would submit that the chances of going to a concert and getting machine gunned are pretty low also but let's move on-

Single female living alone,rapist breaks into her house in the middle of the night.do we want her with a gun and trained to use it or no gun? And how many bullets can she have. 2, 5 as many as she wants ?
if she was smart, she'd buy a dependable handgun and get the proper training. and the magazine size would depend on what state she lives in...the limit in my state is 10 rounds

Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: October 5, 2017 21:46

The shooter or someone with his exact name had reserved a room in a hotel near Chicago's Lollapalooza but didn't check in, a news report said today.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 5, 2017 21:57

MileHigh
MisterDDDD
Yeah.

I'm aghast. Home invasions happen all the time. Go onto Google and search on "home invasion" and "violent home invasion" and " home invasion" and "homeowner shot in home invasion" and "homeowner killed in home invasion." Welcome to the real world. Lawd indeed.

I'll even throw in a bonus search pertaining to the earlier discussion. Search on "DART beating video" and see what comes up.

You search.
Four plus perps for a home invasion is extremely rare.

Date: October 5, 2017 22:09

MisterDDDD
MileHigh
MisterDDDD
Yeah.

I'm aghast. Home invasions happen all the time. Go onto Google and search on "home invasion" and "violent home invasion" and " home invasion" and "homeowner shot in home invasion" and "homeowner killed in home invasion." Welcome to the real world. Lawd indeed.

You search.

So is getting mowed down at a concert-dodging scenario 2,young lady home alone are we?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 5, 2017 22:11

keefriff99
LeonidP
keefriff99
DandelionPowderman
Why do they play the anthem when two American teams play, btw?
Because we're AMERICA. @#$%& you. That's why.

No real good reason. It's just hyper-nationalist nonsense.

That's one way to put it ... it was a tradition from earlier days. Americans used to take great pride and it would have at one point been unthinkable to not stand, salute, etc., as a tribute and honor to those that sacrificed their lives for the Country to be independent. At one point the country had a war it seemed, every few years, and each time with many human lives sacrificed to fight for/represent his/her country.

It has now been a long time since there were drafts and any "major" world war where there are a million of lives lost, so many Americans have now become complacent, disgruntled, expect everything ... become 'spoiled', some may say.

Older people, like my father, get incensed at this prevalent attitude amongst the younger generation. But some may say the younger generation is now more educated, or privy to more info than before that some wars are not in the best interest of the country ... the Vietnam war was the trigger, so many kids were killed, on both sides, with no real gain it seems. So now many think there is no reason to ever be at war. This type of attitude then leads many to think of the salute as perfunctory, or some may call it "hyper-nationalist nonsense".

That's my take, anyway, for what it's worth.
There's more to any country than its military prowess. The Anthem should be a celebration of the country in total, not an ode to military might and escapades.

If we're all to be bullied and coerced into standing for fear of reprisal, then how special is the act?

That's sort of the point. In the past, no one was bullied or coerced, they just did it, and they did it out of pride and honor. It's now an issue in the "what have you done for me lately" age, which is the attitude that many seem to have.

** edit ... oh and it's quite short-sighted to believe it's done as a sign of military prowess, again, it is (was) done as a tribute and appreciation to those that fought and died for the rest of us to live like we do.

They are dead and gone, we reap the benefits, and then we don't appreciate what it is we have ... and then furthermore we make statements that it means nothing, or that it is all just "hyper-nationalist nonsense". But whatever, as I said, it's more and more a prevailing attitude, and likely to only increase as time goes on, and people forget.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 22:57 by LeonidP.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 5, 2017 22:14

Bastion
lem motlow

If I ever felt that a gun was the only way to feel safe in my home, I’d move to a different country.

Dont pick Sweden. Finland is pretty safe despite a recent terrorist attack (knife).

Posted by: bv ()
Date: October 5, 2017 22:26

There were many heroes in Las Vegas during the shooting. I am always amazed by Americans who stand up for each other. This brings me to a story during the 1998 winter tour. I was on the bus from Portland OR to the airport, following the two shows at Rose Garden January 1998. I think I paid 65 cent for the ticket, it was cheap, may be my memory is wrong, but it was cheap. Anyway, a guy entered the bus, and started to bug the driver, really nasty. An old lady sitting in the front of the bus, supported the driver by making it very clear that such harrazment was totally unacceptable. The guy who was bugging the driver understood he was crossing the line of accepted behaviour and everything was quiet, I was surprised. In many places people are afraid of what might happen. Thye bad guy might have a gun or a knife. The old lady could have been my mother.

In Las Vegas, during the shooting, an unarmed security guy went to the room of the shooter and knocked it to silence the killer. The madman shot may be two hundred rounds through the door, the unarmed security guy stayed, messaged to the incoming police, and even if he was bleeding from being shot, he stayed to make sure they found the room. His actions probably interrupted the shooter, who then took his life. The shooting stopped. If the security guy did not interrupt him, the shooter might have continued for a lot more time than just the 10 minutes he made hell for the innocent people at the show.

Jesus Campos says he just did his job... But he is a great example of what I have seen during my numerous travels to USA. They stand up for each other and support each others, just like the police on the concert ground in Las Vegas.

So while we are surprised by the number of guns the mad shooter was having, it should be possible to agree on the fact that 99.99% of all Americans are not violent, they take care of each other just like we all try to do the best for our closest. No madman and no terrorist will ever destroy or change an open and well functioning democracy like USA. That is for sure.

Bjornulf

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 5, 2017 22:38

bv
There were many heroes in Las Vegas during the shooting. I am always amazed by Americans who stand up for each other. This brings me to a story during the 1998 winter tour. I was on the bus from Portland OR to the airport, following the two shows at Rose Garden January 1998. I think I paid 65 cent for the ticket, it was cheap, may be my memory is wrong, but it was cheap. Anyway, a guy entered the bus, and started to bug the driver, really nasty. An old lady sitting in the front of the bus, supported the driver by making it very clear that such harrazment was totally unacceptable. The guy who was bugging the driver understood he was crossing the line of accepted behaviour and everything was quiet, I was surprised. In many places people are afraid of what might happen. Thye bad guy might have a gun or a knife. The old lady could have been my mother.

In Las Vegas, during the shooting, an unarmed security guy went to the room of the shooter and knocked it to silence the killer. The madman shot may be two hundred rounds through the door, the unarmed security guy stayed, messaged to the incoming police, and even if he was bleeding from being shot, he stayed to make sure they found the room. His actions probably interrupted the shooter, who then took his life. The shooting stopped. If the security guy did not interrupt him, the shooter might have continued for a lot more time than just the 10 minutes he made hell for the innocent people at the show.

Jesus Campos says he just did his job... But he is a great example of what I have seen during my numerous travels to USA. They stand up for each other and support each others, just like the police on the concert ground in Las Vegas.

So while we are surprised by the number of guns the mad shooter was having, it should be possible to agree on the fact that 99.99% of all Americans are not violent, they take care of each other just like we all try to do the best for our closest. No madman and no terrorist will ever destroy or change an open and well functioning democracy like USA. That is for sure.
thumbs up

Date: October 5, 2017 22:39

lem motlow

Maybe, two Marines on her front door, two on her back and an Apache helicopter on standby......................or, maybe she could live her life in such a way that her internal power is so intense that nobody even thinks of raping her......that's not possible is it?.......is it?

Date: October 5, 2017 23:16

MisterDDDD
You search.

I did the search on "four people arrested in home invasion" and I get page after page after page of results with news articles. The total number of search results are 5,100,000.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 5, 2017 23:28

lem motlow

I note you specify 'trained to use it' which is often overlooked, so thank you. Many gun owners don't learn, or practice, safe use and storage of firearms, which is why we often sadly read of toddlers or others accidentally shooting themselves or others. Guns should be stored in a locked cabinet, separate from ammunition. Which helps nobody in case of a sudden intruders but is necessary to prevent accidents. And many safety / self defense experts would suggest that, in a crisis, someone who has little experience using a firearm under stress is likely to drop it, have it used against them, etc. So, as a single woman living alone, I would chose a dog if I was worried about personal safety. A gun in a home poses as many risks as does not having a gun. When tempers flare or alcohol gets the best of someone, a loaded gun is dangerously tempting - which I sadly know from perosnal experience, in Canada.

Date: October 5, 2017 23:28

bv

I was at both shows at the Rose Garden also! Did you notice how much fun and how laid back the American audience was? Everybody was totally grooving and I remember how You Don't Have to Mean It really worked and people were having so much fun with that Stones pseudo-reggae vibe. They were among my best Rolling Stones concerts ever.

On a positive note, when popular music turned towards social activism starting with Do They Know It's Christmas in 1984, a lesser known project was Hands Across America in 1986. Check out the video:

[www.youtube.com]

The sentiment is very nice and heartfelt. For all the America haters out there in the world, America with all its faults is still the greatest country in the world.

Date: October 6, 2017 00:20

Good talk everyone,I believe everyone on both sides just want what's right.it was assumed I was a republican because of my views on the media and gun rights,I'm not
I can't stand either one of those groups of crooks or the multinationals that own them.
Just remember every law that gets passed that is the government telling you that you can't be trusted-"one of you did something crazy,now we take something away"next time will be something else, then something else.a government that doesn't trust its people.i,ll be waiting for them to disarm the people protecting them.see if they have a limit on the amount of bullets the secret service can use.they never will,because they are important and their lives mean more than you and yours.

Date: October 6, 2017 02:11

lem motlow
Good talk everyone,I believe everyone on both sides just want what's right.it was assumed I was a republican because of my views on the media and gun rights,I'm not
I can't stand either one of those groups of crooks or the multinationals that own them.
Just remember every law that gets passed that is the government telling you that you can't be trusted-"one of you did something crazy,now we take something away"next time will be something else, then something else.a government that doesn't trust its people.i,ll be waiting for them to disarm the people protecting them.see if they have a limit on the amount of bullets the secret service can use.they never will,because they are important and their lives mean more than you and yours.

This is so true.........in 1975 my father who was a Major in the British army came home drunk one day and told me 'in his oils' that the Battalion had just had it's orders 'in the event of a nuclear war'.........which were, to take over a disused and sealed railway tunnel (which was also no longer mapped) and................if anyone, other than army, tried to get in, to "nix them" ............he then addded about me ..."that includes you too".............thanks dad. (true story)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-06 03:55 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 6, 2017 05:23

bv

Thanks for chiming in bv.

MileHigh
For all the America haters out there in the world, America with all its faults is still the greatest country in the world.

Nowhere is perfect by any means, but when push comes to shove the positives here will always outweigh the negatives. Having lived in England and the Netherlands (two of my favorite countries ), and having traveled to many other countries in the world throughout my life, there's no place I'd rather live than right here in America...specifically by the beach in Southern California . winking smiley

And there's something very cool about the origins of our history ...rebels fighting against the oppressors...they knew how to fight for their right to party so to speak.
Kind of like the Rolling Stones rebelling against the establishment in the '60's...as Keith told the judge: "We are not old men, and we are not worried about petty morals."

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: October 6, 2017 06:33

stonehearted
Niek
If it's so accessible then you can easily choose to use it.

But I guess that people think the same about our drugs policy in The Netherlands.

If I had a drug I would shoot first -- in the arm or up the nose or wherever -- and ask questions later.

Hope you enjoy your bike ride here in North America (i.e., the U.S. and Canada).

Just a helpful tip -- when I first started riding bikes on roads and highways in the early seventies (I was born in 1966), the bicyclists rode on the left side of the road/highway.

I don't know, looking back that makes a bit more sense. I mean, if someone's going to hit you with their car or truck, then at least on the left side of the road you can see them coming at you and you have the best chance of swerving out of their way.

I'll never understand why they changed it, so that bicycle traffic was later switched to the right side of the road, so the traffic is coming to the back of you.

Well, again, enjoy your bike rides here, and be careful of where you stop off to eat. Remember, here in the U.S., if the guns don't get you, the GMOs will... eventually. smoking smiley

Zero. Without a doubt for me.

Peace´n luv, Seb

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: October 6, 2017 06:36

bv

Zero. Without a doubt for me.

Peace´n luv, Seb

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 6, 2017 06:57

MileHigh
America with all its faults is still the greatest country in the world.

Why is it the greatest country in the world? Serious question.
A big economy doesn't make it so.
A strong dollar? No.
A strong democracy? No. Other countries can lay claim to that.
Great educational institutions make the US the greatest? No. Other countries have done well in that regard, better in fact.
Great health system? Nope, unless you're rich.
Oh, is that it, a high number of rich people makes the US the greatest? Nope. The biggest military? Don't think that makes a country, any country, the Greatest in the World.
Freedom of speech? Got it here in Australia too, along with most other countries.
Willingness to take in the poor, disabled and less fortunate? Not any more...

Seriously, I GET patriotism. I LOVE Australia, my home country. But I could never say it's the greatest in the world when other countries are so much better than us, in reality, at a whole range of social, economic, eductional and environmental issues.

So WHAT is it that makes the US the Greatest, not just a GREAT country?

Statistically it's just not true anymore.

This is not a criticism of the US, I LOVE coming to the US once a year from Australia on holiday. From seeing first-hand the country so 'nationally depressed' during the Carter administration, and the hostage crisis era, thru the 'beaming' Reagan era, thru Bush mark one and two, and Clinton and Obama, I have ridden the ebbs and flows, from afar and at a month at a time when I actually can VISIT, and acknowledge you are a great nation, and more importantly, a great people, I have so many fantastic American friends, but I can't see how the US is the Greatest Country on earth.

Rod

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112Next
Current Page: 11 of 12

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1745
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home