Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Semi OT - Mick Taylor and others on Punk Rock
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2017 09:24

Found this curiosity from late 1979 on youtube with many musicians discussing the influence of Punk Rock. While David Bowie and Paul McCartney among others seemed to find value in it, Mick Taylor says: "I don't think they've been very influential at all musically, but I think probably they've opened alot of doors for bands that came along after them"

Some comments on Punk from December 1979. Rare footage!

For me personally, I was 14 years old in 1977, and was swept up with Punk music. Along with Reggae, Punk was still somewhat out of the mainstream and was something some of us young knuckleheads gravitated to in high school. I still still loved Zeppelin, Hendrix, Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Neil Young, etc, etc., etc., and didn't turn in to a die hard punker with a mohawk lol, but there was something radical and rebellious about most of the Punk Rock I was listening to - at first the Sex Pistols and The Clash, then on to California bands such as Dead Kennedys and X, along with many others. I saw the Clash in 1979 at the Santa Monica Civic and it still stands out as one of my favorite concerts. I also attended URGH a Music War in 1980 at the same venue which included The Cramps, Dead Kennedys, X, and Pere Ubu among others. I eventually gravitated towards other things after that, and still had my love for classic rock (first time seeing the Stones in 1981!), but the memories of that era are burned deeply. Looking back now, I say it's had a huge impact and influence on rock music, and without it rock music would have suffered imo.

Here's what Keith and Mick had to say in a 2011 interview:PUNK

Keith : “It moved our ass, boy. See, the thing I loved about those times was the attitude and a new generation coming up. Unfortunately, only a very few [bands] could actually play, you know, music.”

Mick : “The sort of punk scene in New York, you know, you had the Ramones and you had the New York Dolls, but they didn’t really play that kind of music … it was more of a glam look. New York was sort of different than what the Sex Pistols were putting out. I mean, my favorite band of that period, was the Clash, definitely. They definitely had a dance sensibility, as well as a rock sensibility.”

Wondering what others think about it all - from those older, as well as those younger. Was it influential? Or was it a waste of time? Was it meaningful? Or was it useless?

Re: Semi OT - Mick Taylor and others on Punk Rock
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 2, 2017 09:51

I think they had a big impact on the rock artists of the day, but disappeared relatively quickly from the scene, or?

Today, almost nobody listens to punk, but everybody has good things to say about them, it seems.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: October 2, 2017 13:25

LieB
I think they had a big impact on the rock artists of the day, but disappeared relatively quickly from the scene, or?

Today, almost nobody listens to punk, but everybody has good things to say about them, it seems.

Could not let that pass without comment...in this house at least, The Clash get a regular airing

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 2, 2017 13:35

LieB

Well, it's pretty much as Keith and Mick Taylor say: they had some social impact (which didn't really lead to anything) and it motivated a lot of other bands (which lead mostly to all those terrible new-wave bands from the 80s) but musically it wasn't really very good or even new. Basically rock music without the roll, played loudly, fast and full of angry lyrics. Anger is very attractive (especially when you're young) but it grows old and boring fast. That's why most of those bands either ended up in obscurity or as new-wave bands.
At that time, I kinda liked UK Subs, but when I listen to it now, I only notice how hopelessly dated and tame it sounds. I still like 2 or 3 songs from the Sex Pistols (musically really very classic rock), mainly because of Johnny Rotten's particular delivery. He's done some interesting stuff with PIL too, by the way.
But musically, their inheritance mostly has been that even when you can't play, you can still start a band. In some ways, that's a good thing I guess, in some other ways, it isn't.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 2, 2017 14:12

Good points there, matxil.

To elaborate on what I wrote ... I guess the big bands and artists that weren't "pure" punk or played other music with large doses of punk in were are the ones that people still love today. The Clash is one of those. Iggy Pop another, I suppose, although he could also be considered an older artist who -- just like the Stones -- inspired the punks and were inspired by them.

To me, the punks will always be most famous for kicking the "old farts" in the butt more so than being really good or long-lasting themselves. They seem to get more credit for revitalizing rock than for making good music that people want to listen to repeatedly.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: October 2, 2017 20:25

Hair, you were at URGH? That is one damn fine film and way overlooked.

I'm 41 and I still love punk. I'm not sure I love paying $300 for the Misfits at the Forum though...

There are SO many great bands that could/can play. X, Radio Birdman, Stiff Little Fingers, Pistols, Misfits, Stooges, Buzzcocks, Cramps...they all have rhythm man (and I'm just tossing out a few)!

Frankly, I always found Clash to be a bit boring. I mean, they were ok, but...I don't know...they were ok. Male version of The Slits.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 2, 2017 21:07

I still listen to Punk Rock a lot, the raw energy from the dark streets: Iggy-The Damned-Pil-Joy Division-The Cramps-Dead Kennedys-Siouxie and the Banshees-The Exploited and many more, Punkrock concerts are still on in Berlin and Amsterdam

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 2, 2017 21:14

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 2, 2017 21:20

Yep I've seen The Saints live and another from Australia: The Birthday Party

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 2, 2017 21:21

sdstonesguy
Hair, you were at URGH? That is one damn fine film and way overlooked.

I'm 41 and I still love punk. I'm not sure I love paying $300 for the Misfits at the Forum though...

There are SO many great bands that could/can play. X, Radio Birdman, Stiff Little Fingers, Pistols, Misfits, Stooges, Buzzcocks, Cramps...they all have rhythm man (and I'm just tossing out a few)!

Frankly, I always found Clash to be a bit boring. I mean, they were ok, but...I don't know...they were ok. Male version of The Slits.

Yes I was at the Santa Monica shows for Urgh - here's an interesting article regarding the movie: URGH!

"The movie was designed with an international flavor, and shows featuring 34 diverse acts were filmed in London, New York, Los Angeles (Santa Monica), San Diego, and Frejus, France".

You mention many great bands above, all of which I loved and still love, but for the sake of brevity in my initial post I only mentioned a few.
As for the Clash, I suppose you might have had to be in the moment - or maybe in my shoes during that period to fully relate, though as history has has shown I'm clearly not the only one who thinks they were one of the best. Each new album they released added something different. Starting with ballsy punk with some reggae, then some funk, rap, dance, etc., etc....the variety is what kept them fresh and relevant rather than just being repetitive as many other punk bands were. In addition to the '79 Civic show, I also saw them open for the Who at the L.A. Coliseum in '82, and as I've mentioned here before they were actually MUCH better than the Who- nearly stealing the entire show and blowing the Who off the stage...obviously just a personal opinion but that's how it felt for me at the time. I also saw them at the US Festival '83 as headliners for the new wave/punk rock day...the last show ever with Mick Jones. They tried to continue after that and released a horrible album - Cut the Crap which is to be avoided at all costs!

As for the impact the original Punk era (mid-late '70's to early '80's) had on music, bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc. always cited punk rock as being influential to their stripped down and and raw sound. There's been punk bands throughout the decades even to this day - none of which I ever really had any interest for. A friend of mine who's my age and has a wood shop next to my studio is still into it, and even plays in a local punk band. He's more of a weekend punk rocker though, as during the week he's your typical SoCal surfer type dude who likes to smoke alot of weed lol. But when his band plays, he unleashes the wild beast and it's good times had by all. If you're ever in town, be sure to see if F.S.K.D. are playing - they're a flashback to my rebellious youth, and are way more authentic and real than most young whippersnappers who call themselves "punk".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 21:24 by Hairball.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: October 2, 2017 21:22

[youtu.be] Macho Shithead smiling smiley

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: October 2, 2017 21:26

[youtu.be] The Victims

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1686
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home