Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20
Re: Amsterdam The Netherlands 30-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: October 2, 2017 00:33

Great videos you posted Mack Jigger. Thank you for this.

Very well played and Mick Jagger sang really good yesterday.

Posted by: Mack Jigger ()
Date: October 2, 2017 00:54

Thank you very Dutch Barbabang! Was great fun!

Best quote of the show: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Janneman ()
Date: October 2, 2017 01:03

Here Sympathy For The Devil I filmed from the No Filter Pit:

[www.youtube.com]

Jan.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: October 2, 2017 02:05

Janneman

[www.youtube.com]

Jan.
Fantastic!
Love Sympathy for the opener. Thanks.

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: October 2, 2017 02:08

EasterMan
thrak
I've just seen Shine A light on youtube. God, it's lights years (2000) away from Stripped version. Woody didn't play solo too good, Keith - he was just standing with guitar.

Not true at all. Ronnie's solo on Stripped is a strangled mess. His solo yesterday was excellent and very tasteful. I don't hear much Keith on the studio version either.

Don't want to argue but i checked it one more time and stripped is much better. Maybe it,s because of this Records sound. On Amsterdam show he's trying to keep melody but it's just weak. Don't tel me he was trying to improvise.
About Keith we're basicly on the same side. He didn't play much, dis he ?

Date: October 2, 2017 03:43

OK I love reading the reviews and critiques, so I make this observation. The Stones are not an exact science or a technical band, they play the songs loose, as the songs are never played the exact same way twice. That's why we find them so interesting. If each song was a carbon copy of the original it would not be exciting or fun. Because they aren't as young is one reason, but even when they were young, they still played the songs loose.

Date: October 2, 2017 04:41

Janneman

[www.youtube.com]

Jan.

awesome video, thx!

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: October 2, 2017 11:00

BitchKeepsBitchin
OK I love reading the reviews and critiques, so I make this observation. The Stones are not an exact science or a technical band, they play the songs loose, as the songs are never played the exact same way twice. That's why we find them so interesting. If each song was a carbon copy of the original it would not be exciting or fun. Because they aren't as young is one reason, but even when they were young, they still played the songs loose.

I fully agree with you! It is astonishing how some people analyse a concert "almost from second to second" and come up with the most "exciting" conclusions. So called music experts in some Dutch newspapers really even make themselves look like frustrated or possibly even jealous because they can't mentally cope with the still enormous popularity of the Stones. A foreign visitor said that he saw smiling faces all around. Isn't that what it is all about? Together with the Stones having a great rock 'n' roll party (still after 55 years!!!)?
smileys with beer

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: October 2, 2017 12:09

georgie48
BitchKeepsBitchin

I fully agree with you! It is astonishing how some people analyse a concert "almost from second to second" and come up with the most "exciting" conclusions. So called music experts in some Dutch newspapers really even make themselves look like frustrated or possibly even jealous because they can't mentally cope with the still enormous popularity of the Stones. A foreign visitor said that he saw smiling faces all around. Isn't that what it is all about? Together with the Stones having a great rock 'n' roll party (still after 55 years!!!)?
smileys with beer

That says it all.

Dean Goodman also says it all in one of his reviews on this excursion to date. The Stones are 'on their victory lap' ! That's IT ... in a nutshell. They never have been flawless and note perfect as a live act, they aren't today, and they won't be tomorrow. But put it in some kind of perspective. We're talking about 'musical errors' that amount to a handful of seconds out of typically two hours plus/minus. Their song-writing skills are without equal and beyond reproach, their dedication to their craft similarly, their professionalism when they 'go out' etc, and there's scarcely a person in an audience of 40,000/50,000/60,000 that wouldn't be seen sporting an ear-splitting grin on their face for the greater majority of the duration of a Stones concert.

I was in the Amsterdam Arena for this show, as opposed to in my armchair watching youtube clips. I was one of the 60,000 sporting an ear-splitting grin on my chops for pretty much the entire time. Maybe I heard a bum note here n' there ? If I did, it was possibly one, perhaps two ? WOW, big f***ing deal !! The notes in question were held for one second, two seconds maybe ? Did they grate on my ear ? No. Did they ruin the entire show for me ? No. Do I think the coolest and most exciting rock n' roll rhythm guitar player in the world of rock n' roll ought to hang it all up and 'fade away' ? NO ... don't be bloody stupid. Of course I don't.

Amsterdam was fantastic. It was a joy to be there, the Stones are playing their a**es off. So armchair critics ......... if you DO have the financial means, then get out of the armchairs, find the inclination, and go and see this band !! NOW ... NOW NOW NOW NOW !!

See you in Paris 1 19/10 and Paris 2 22/10

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 12:50 by paulywaul.

Date: October 2, 2017 12:26

powerage78
Best version since 1994 IMO.
Keith is on fire !!!

stone4ever
Christiaan
Streetfighting Man

[youtu.be]

Watching Keith and Ronnie at 1.30 minutes, haha i just love em.

Pure magic, that right there is the essence of the Rolling Stones. When they get things like that absolutely 'right' (as this particular clip illustrates) ... they have little if any equal as a 'rock n roll' band. Exquisite listening ... and pretty f***ing exciting to look at too !! hot smiley

Date: October 2, 2017 12:53

paulywaul
powerage78
Keith is on fire !!!

stone4ever
Christiaan
Streetfighting Man

[youtu.be]

Pure magic, that right there is the essence of the Rolling Stones. When they get things like that absolutely 'right' (as this particular clip illustrates) ... they have little if any equal as a 'rock n roll' band. Exquisite listening ... and pretty f***ing exciting to look at too !! hot smiley

thumbs upthumbs up

Well, they still can do it very well. So when somebody whines here about age/abilities/quality, just remember those moments and do not care about the rest. That is the correct approach to rock and roll!

Date: October 2, 2017 13:13

jumpingjackflash5
paulywaul
powerage78
Keith is on fire !!!

stone4ever
Christiaan
Streetfighting Man

[youtu.be]

thumbs upthumbs up

Well, they still can do it very well. So when somebody whines here about age/abilities/quality, just remember those moments and do not care about the rest. That is the correct approach to rock and roll!

I get a lot of flak for saying that those little screw-ups are such a microscopical part of the shows. It doesn't make it less true, though.

Street Fighting Man was awesome in Amsterdam. Keith was back in 1992-form on that one, LOL grinning smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 2, 2017 13:51

1969 DP. 1969 grinning smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: October 2, 2017 13:57

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
paulywaul
powerage78
Keith is on fire !!!

stone4ever
Christiaan
Streetfighting Man

[youtu.be]

thumbs upthumbs up

I get a lot of flak for saying that those little screw-ups are such a microscopical part of the shows. It doesn't make it less true, though.

Street Fighting Man was awesome in Amsterdam. Keith was back in 1992-form on that one, LOL grinning smiley

Of course it doesn't, and I'm not out to 'silence the critics' ... I'm a pretty ferocious critic myself on occasions. And why the hell not ? All I'm suggesting is that we put criticism of this band today - in the year 2017 - into some kind of perspective. A perspective which takes a lot of things into account. If we do that, then by any standards whatsoever (even the very highest standards no less), we should give praise to the fact that the Rolling Stones are still out there with us, playing for us, working their asses of for us as regards the diligence and professionalism they continue to being to the game, and should we not excuse them just a little on occasions for not rattling off blistering note perfect guitar solos like they did in 1971, or for losing themselves in the middle of a song here or there ?

I tell you what, I've watched most of the youtube clips of their various performances on this tour so far, was in the Amsterdam Arena on Saturday, and I've neither heard nor witnessed any cock-ups the likes of which I heard at Wembley Arena on the Licks tour in the autumn of 2003. They completely - and I do mean completely - lost themselves during Street Fightin' Man. Everyone in the band was looking at each other and you could see the looks on their faces ....... as in: 'SOMEONE PLEASE start the next verse, does ANYONE know what the f**k we're doing' ? And I would think that 99 percent of the audience wouldn't have even bloody noticed !!

It was like that then (a long time ago), it's like it today, and it'll sure as hell be like it tomorrow. If it matters to you THAT much, and you want the live show to sound just 'like the record' (or Get Yer Ya Yas Out), then settle in to your favourite silk upholstered chair, reach for your pen and critic's notepad, and start running those youtube clips !! Meanwhile, the rest of us will be at the gig, having a riot, and sporting silly grins no doubt !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 15:02 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: October 2, 2017 13:58

DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
paulywaul
powerage78
Keith is on fire !!!

stone4ever
Christiaan
Streetfighting Man

[youtu.be]

thumbs upthumbs up

Anyway the sound in this youtube videos really sucks. The guitars in "Street Fighting Man" sounded WAY more powerful in the venue. This song is a monster in this tour!!

Date: October 2, 2017 14:32

Honky Tonk Woman. Great version saturday, band nailed it.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: October 2, 2017 14:32

"Anyway the sound in this youtube videos really sucks. The guitars in "Street Fighting Man" sounded WAY more powerful in the venue..."

That's the rule, Wild Slivovitz. Big parts of the real "wall of sound" are disappearing on many, many clips. I attended the Barcelona gig. The whole sound in the stadium was much more powerful than what I "heard", later, attending some youtube videos. Every claim about "lack of energy" is ridiculed, when you hear the sound in the venue...

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: October 2, 2017 14:38

Wild Slivovitz
Anyway the sound in this youtube videos really sucks. The guitars in "Street Fighting Man" sounded WAY more powerful in the venue. This song is a monster in this tour!!

True, so true.
Although I appreciate the "souvenirs" found on youtube, I also regret the development
where half the audience is holding a smartphone in the air most of the time, concentrating
on their little screens, not clapping their hands, swinging their hips and letting their
bodies and minds be controlled by the music. We don't need all these videos, we need
to get out to the shows and have ourselves taken away from the earthly gravity into
the Rock 'n Roll stratosphere.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 2, 2017 14:41

Wild Slivovitz
DandelionPowderman
jumpingjackflash5
paulywaul
powerage78
Keith is on fire !!!

stone4ever
Christiaan
Streetfighting Man

[youtu.be]

thumbs upthumbs up

Good point Slivowitz. Certain songs have been re-born. I'd go as far as adding Sympathy For The Devil to Street Fighting Man and that's due to Keith's playing. He is playing less notes but focussing more on the effect. It's a new approach for him - he knows Ronnie will carry the rhythm so Keith can almost pick his moments. That suits him to the ground now he is in his 70s.

None of those blues and rock'n'roll heroes to the Stones over played when they were in their 70s. They take a different approach - less is more. It creates a different effect and it's a good one. It still comes from that most essential place - the heart and soul of rock'n'roll. Long live the Rolling Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 14:42 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: October 2, 2017 14:59

Love all this, love these posts, so refreshing to see positive respectful analysis, because believe it or not these musicians are ten years past retirement on average. The boys would have retired ten years ago in any other profession. This was seen as a job for very young men when the Stones started out
. The Stones have rewrote and changed what rock is and what it can be.
I just can't wait for Paris because it's becoming clear that the Stones sound is so much better at the venue. It's like when you listen to old Vietnam veterans when thay say, BUT MAN, YOU WEREN'T THERE.

Date: October 2, 2017 15:15

YouTube poster christijanus 1 (Great videos!) has more or less the great sound we could hear on the tier, this is more or less the same great sound we heard, but this is slightly better even.

Date: October 2, 2017 15:57

barbabang
YouTube poster christijanus 1 (Great videos!) has more or less the great sound we could hear on the tier, this is more or less the same great sound we heard, but this is slightly better even.

I miss Mick Taylor.

Sorry i thought you meant Christiaan, got a link to the one with better sound where Keith is Rocking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 16:02 by stone4ever.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: October 2, 2017 16:43

It’s at times like this that I’m glad I’m just a fan. I’m not a musician, or Stones historian, barely know enough to get to the right gate on time, let alone analyze the performance. All I know is, shows like this make my heart pump, and my lungs burst, and my hips move. And that’s all I need to know. As Keith might say, don’t think about it, just feeeeeel it!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 2, 2017 16:48

barbabang

Indeed: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DECCA61 ()
Date: October 2, 2017 16:51

MAF
Great show, yes. But the worst sound I can remember watching the Stones over the years (1st row premium standing). It was my fist time in the "echo dome" - and I think the last.

Hi I was on the VIP Tribune and must say: no sound problems here .. great sound no booming or ringing .. place 103/7

Date: October 2, 2017 17:35

thrak
EasterMan
thrak
I've just seen Shine A light on youtube. God, it's lights years (2000) away from Stripped version. Woody didn't play solo too good, Keith - he was just standing with guitar.

Not true at all. Ronnie's solo on Stripped is a strangled mess. His solo yesterday was excellent and very tasteful. I don't hear much Keith on the studio version either.

Don't want to argue but i checked it one more time and stripped is much better. Maybe it,s because of this Records sound. On Amsterdam show he's trying to keep melody but it's just weak. Don't tel me he was trying to improvise.
About Keith we're basicly on the same side. He didn't play much, dis he ?

If you ask me,1999 No Security Tour "Shine a Light" was better performance-wise than both the version from this past Saturday and better performance-wise than the 'Stripped' CD album version.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: October 2, 2017 17:44

Has anybody noticed that Mick sang "time is right for dancing in the street" during the first verse? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 2, 2017 17:53

SomeTorontoGirl
It’s at times like this that I’m glad I’m just a fan. I’m not a musician, or Stones historian, barely know enough to get to the right gate on time, let alone analyze the performance. All I know is, shows like this make my heart pump, and my lungs burst, and my hips move. And that’s all I need to know. As Keith might say, don’t think about it, just feeeeeel it!

THIS!!!

Date: October 2, 2017 18:14

Beast
SomeTorontoGirl

THIS!!!

thumbs up Keith also said this music is about what it does to the body from the neck down, not the neck up. hot smiley

keith says when he plays he doesnt think , he just feels.

That's what its all about at the end of the day, jumping about dancing singing along with this fantastic band. smileys with beer

Date: October 2, 2017 18:16

Cristiano Radtke
barbabang

Indeed: [www.youtube.com]?
view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Thank's for this smileys with beer

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1687
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home