Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Lou Reed
Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 26, 2017 07:06

Heard Charley's Girl on the radio today...smokin'

Date: September 26, 2017 15:32

tough to name my favorite albums or songs, have to think a bit

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 26, 2017 15:42

for me...still... the losses of both Reed and Bowie are in some/many ways unavoidably linked...both massive.

Sweet Nuthin', and Vicious as performed in Paris in '74 are two of the greatest songs ever written....

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: September 26, 2017 16:25

Thanks to Hopkins for another brainy rant.

One of my best friends is a Lou fanatic to the same level that I love the Stones. I've seen Lou with him maybe a dozen times over the years going back to early 70's.

I love all the usual standards, but my go-to LP is Legendary Hearts and the track Bottoming Out.

HBK

Date: September 26, 2017 19:45

Rip This
for me...still... the losses of both Reed and Bowie are in some/many ways unavoidably linked...both massive.

Sweet Nuthin', and Vicious as performed in Paris in '74 are two of the greatest songs ever written....

just huge losses

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 26, 2017 20:54

Bowie is just as huge, if not huger than, Reed but oddly enough his death didn't affect me as much. And I'm a much bigger Bowie fan than a Reed one. Bowie did all his amazing stuff and then launched so many others. His contributions to Lou on Transformer and Mott The Hoople and so many others were generally regarded as those artists best stuff. And thats all while Bowie was taking over the world himself. His influence can't be underappreciated. I think the reason I was less sad about his death was his disappearance. Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, they have ALWAYS been out there, doing their own thing right up until the end. Neil Young. Bowie checked out, and arguably rightfully so and at exactly the right time. He conquered everything. There was nothing left and the business basically crumbled anyway. So it was wonderful to see him return, but he had already been gone for awhile. In hindsight you can look back on that whole return as a last encore before his death, whether planned or not.

Which is incredible, but Reed, Young, Dylan, they are all like constants. They are ALWAYS out there and they are always doing something creative. It might not be good but they certainly aren't coasting. So I think losing one of those guys was tough, cause you just always think they'll be there. Prince was much the same way to a certain extent. Bowie, as much as I loved him, didn't have the same impact because it had basically been a memorial since 2004. Its odd. It was shocking and tragic when I heard his news but Lou's (on a Sunday morning, of course) I almost couldn't get out of bed for some reason.

Posted by: SirCorto ()
Date: September 26, 2017 23:46

Luckily could see him performing 1.1 times

First time in 2000 when he played in Tel Aviv. I was not much familiar with Lou's material-knew the main Velvet and solo hits and his performance blew me away.

I think I knew by then only 4-5 out of the 19 tunes he played, but from then my life's soundtrack changed forever.

The 0.1 time was in 2008 when Lori Anderson came to Tel Aviv to play. I was seating in my place before the concert started and see Lou passing by my side and seating 3 rows behind me. I turned back to talk to him but a woman who was with him asked (politely) to leave him alone. I always have a hue respect for artists so could not refuse.
By the end of the concert he went out and joined her on stage for 2-3 pieces and finally got a beautiful "I'll Be Your Mirror" with Anderson and her musicians. For me, definitely the highlight of the evening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-26 23:48 by SirCorto.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: September 26, 2017 23:48

HouseBoyKnows

I love all the usual standards, but my go-to LP is Legendary Hearts and the track Bottoming Out.

Yes sir, I'm with you on that one.

1980s Lou is my favorite period. The Blue Mask through New York. Even the maligned Mistrial has a few high points for me. Not a huge fan of Growing Up in Public which started the decade.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 27, 2017 00:15

Wild Child is a great tune.

A bit of a throwaway but his vocal and the lyrics are fantastic.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 2, 2017 06:53

My brilliant and troubled friend Lou Reed

In an extract from his new biography, rock writer Anthony DeCurtis reflects on the icon he knew personally and delves into the making of his 1973 solo album Berlin and his encounter with Czech president – and fan – Václav Havel

[www.theguardian.com]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home