Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 20 of 22
Re: Lucca Italy 23-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 25, 2017 09:54

LongBeachArena72
I can barely tell one song from another anymore but it's quite possible that's more on me than them. The sputtering slow-motion out-of-tune mess I hear is clearly not what you hear and what the hundreds of thousands of people who will dig them on the this tour hear.

That thought crossed my mind the other day too when I was listening to a replay of Debbie's periscope and in turn that reminded me what some people who'd witnessed the 1981 shows wrote here in the past, that a lot of the songs sounded the same in the stadiums and that the new "format" introduced in 1989 had helped with that problem...Has this format also run its course now ? Can't see how it can be fixed other than by bringing in new musicians like they did in 2012/2014 with Taylor on MR.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: September 25, 2017 11:43

Honestly, you can't here the crispness and distinction from Ronnie's guitar to Keith's. You cant hear Ronnie playing more on every song than ever before, taking the sound to a better distinction .
I can't believe people are not blown away when Ronnie and Keith are blasting it out. You can't hear Micks improved vocals being perfectly accompanied by the backing vocals.. You can't here a much improved Under My Thumb or the two blues numbers coming to life and taking on a different vibe to the rest of the set. You can't hear Keith singing his heart out on Slipping Away, it doesn't sound different to the other songs to you. Even JJF, Bitch and Street Fighting Man have come to life.

I don't think the Stones are faking it, they are playing each show as if its their last, i can see them putting everything they have into it. Its as though their life's blood depends on it, they are playing outside of themselves as far as i can tell.

There is something about this band, its hard to pinpoint, but when i saw this clip on youtube from a flat or whatever outside of the gig in Zurich, you could see the stadium light up to Keith's guitar, you heard this thunder of sound as Keith started to enter SFTD, it sent shivers down my spine, the sheer power being generated from his guitar strings was weird, his out of key solo was scary, almost evil. It was coming from a place deep down in his soul, It sounds crazy but i think Keith is playing in a way people aren't ready for or understand yet.

Songs like SFTD and GS have always sounded like they were from another dimension to me. Perhaps that's the problem for some people, they don't want to be taken to that dark place, so look and listen in a detached way, refusing to be sucked in or at one with this sound. Maybe the sound is just too much for them, i really don't know, but this is the Stones, and with diminished abilities or not, they are still playing that music, and playing it like no one else.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 11:48

but i think Keith is playing in a way people aren't ready for or understand yet.

eye popping smileysmoking smileygrinning smiley

Twilight zone ?
Twin Peaks ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: September 25, 2017 11:59

"but i think Keith is playing in a way people aren't ready for or understand yet."

I love the rolling stones, and I love Keith, and every part of me wishes this was true and that in 30 years we will all look back and go "yeah those last few years he played, he was really ahead of his time"

But the truth is an out of tune is exactly that, just an out of tune solo.

Saying that I agree with the rest of your thoughts stone4ever... I think when Keith concentrates on rhythm, ronnie hits the solo, and Mick is being Mick they still have it smiling smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:04

stone4ever

Well i don't know longbeach, perhaps this music wasn't written or performed for analyzing, its Rock & Roll. Its not about perfection , its about having a few beers or joints, both or neither, and letting it all go, having fun. I think they have fun performing and their audience has fun watching them play. For me that's what it's all about. The spectacle of it all, the raw energy and power generated by this band. I don't care if they make mistakes , i actually enjoy some of them, they make me laugh.

As a matter of fact, one chord played by a semi - unconscious 74 years old Keith Richards conveys much more energy that the entire discography of the current nerdish (so - called) rock bands which seem to be very fashionable these days. I mean, as good as any other band can be, The Rolling Stones are a completely different story!

Date: September 25, 2017 12:05

GJB
"but i think Keith is playing in a way people aren't ready for or understand yet."

I love the rolling stones, and I love Keith, and every part of me wishes this was true and that in 30 years we will all look back and go "yeah those last few years he played, he was really ahead of his time"

Saying that I agree with the rest of your thoughts stone4ever... I think when Keith concentrates on rhythm, ronnie hits the solo, and Mick is being Mick they still have it smiling smiley

I think his guitar is perfectly tuned. However, sometimes he plays out of key. he always has done that – particularly after 1966.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:10

DandelionPowderman
GJB

I think his guitar is perfectly tuned. However, sometimes he plays out of key. he always has done that – particularly after 1966.

Come on man...

The bum notes, out of key 'solos' and just generally not being able to play parts he used to be able to play in his sleep is so much more prevalent now. It's okay to admit that, the man is 74 years old with terrible arthritis and a head injury.

I just listened to a bit of Sympathy from this latest show, the 'solo' is practically unlistenable. It's sad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 12:13 by erad.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:19

LongBeachArena72
epidemiologist.

Is that a 7 syllable word or 6? I've lost count. I've had 10 beers -- beer cans are the only thing I can count.

This is a 3 chord band remember.

Date: September 25, 2017 12:28

erad
DandelionPowderman
GJB

Come on man...

The bum notes, out of key 'solos' and just generally not being able to play parts he used to be able to play in his sleep is so much more prevalent now. It's okay to admit that, the man is 74 years old with terrible arthritis and a head injury.

I just listened to a bit of Sympathy from this latest show, the 'solo' is practically unlistenable. It's sad.

I think Keith pulls it off here in Zurich ( needs further improvement ) but then in Lucca he is all over the place again. Its hard to know what's going on in that head of his. In Lucca you can see him flicking his fingers like they hurt before he plays the solo. Could be that SFTD needs to be later in the set when his fingers have warmed up a bit.

SFTD Zurich

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:29

yeah to say that today's keith symphathy's solo is good is delusional
but delusional is also thinking that thousands of people that have fun each night are morons delighted to be ripped off (and having been so in the past 20 years)

they're 74, they play rock and roll, they fu up now way more than 20 and 40 years ago (and they do it differently, as someone pointed out here, they're not youngsters that fu up) and they have build a show to cover, partly, those fu's up.

having said that, I would not spend a dime on mick jagger backed up by some 20 years old guys pumping up satisfaction at 2000 rpm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 12:33 by maumau.

Date: September 25, 2017 12:40

erad
DandelionPowderman
GJB

Come on man...

That's probably what's colouring your attitude, perhaps?

And there are two solos in SFTD, not one..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 12:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: September 25, 2017 12:42

stone4ever
erad
DandelionPowderman
GJB

Come on man...

I think Keith pulls it off here in Zurich ( needs further improvement ) but then in Lucca he is all over the place again. Its hard to know what's going on in that head of his. In Lucca you can see him flicking his fingers like they hurt before he plays the solo. Could be that SFTD needs to be later in the set when his fingers have warmed up a bit.

SFTD Zurich

[www.youtube.com]

well if I were in the postion to have a word I simply would advice the band to get rid of it from the setlist. just because keith and all of them can still deliver in many other ways. from what I have heard through videos and stream the blues numbers are pretty good and dancing with mr d. also, street fighting man and rambler still roll and so on and so forth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 12:44 by maumau.

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 25, 2017 12:53

Wild Slivovitz
stone4ever

Well i don't know longbeach, perhaps this music wasn't written or performed for analyzing, its Rock & Roll. Its not about perfection , its about having a few beers or joints, both or neither, and letting it all go, having fun.

As a matter of fact, one chord played by a semi - unconscious 74 years old Keith Richards conveys much more energy that the entire discography of the current nerdish (so - called) rock bands.

True. In every of Keith's chords lies the entire history of The Rolling Stones. At least for me.

If I hear JJF - I also feel some
-Altamont
-Oakland
-NYC
-Hyde Park
-Brussels
-LA Forum
-Paris aux Printemps
-Texas
-Hampton
-Leeds
-Atlantic City...

Every time!!!
If fu**ing rocks!!!!

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: September 25, 2017 13:04

schwonek
Wild Slivovitz
stone4ever

Well i don't know longbeach, perhaps this music wasn't written or performed for analyzing, its Rock & Roll. Its not about perfection , its about having a few beers or joints, both or neither, and letting it all go, having fun.

As a matter of fact, one chord played by a semi - unconscious 74 years old Keith Richards conveys much more energy that the entire discography of the current nerdish (so - called) rock bands.

True. In every of Keith's chords lies the entire history of The Rolling Stones. At least for me.

If I hear JJF - I also feel some
-Altamont
-Oakland
-NYC
-Hyde Park
-Brussels
-LA Forum
-Paris aux Printemps
-Texas
-Hampton
-Leeds
-Atlantic City...

Every time!!!
If fu**ing rocks!!!!

Same here.

dead.flowers

Date: September 25, 2017 13:23

maumau
yeah to say that today's keith symphathy's solo is good is delusional
but delusional is also thinking that thousands of people that have fun each night are morons delighted to be ripped off (and having been so in the past 20 years)

they're 74, they play rock and roll, they fu up now way more than 20 and 40 years ago (and they do it differently, as someone pointed out here, they're not youngsters that fu up) and they have build a show to cover, partly, those fu's up.

having said that, I would not spend a dime on mick jagger backed up by some 20 years old guys pumping up satisfaction at 2000 rpm

Everyone is focusing too much on Keith's Achilles heel, SFTD. For a start opening with a track that Mick knows Keith has trouble with is a no brainer to me.

I can't understand why Mick hasn't dropped it from the set years ago.
When Mick struggles with a song he drops it the next show or the one after that.

But besides SFTD i think Keith has kept his end up quite well over the last two shows. He shows flashes of good guitar work on half the songs played on all shows since and including Hamburg.

I see Keith getting better towards the last half dozes shows left on this mini of mini tours. If Keith played a 100 shows a year we would see a different Keith, that's just Keith, he needs longer tours to become more fluent and shine. Yes they are too old to tour for longer, so compromises are made, this is life. End of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 13:25 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 25, 2017 13:27

What I don't get is why they choose and keep Sympathy as an opener. It's totally not working. There is no energy building up and then you hear a super loud but totally out of key Keith riff. People were turning heads and asking if something was really wrong with the sound. Last tour's introductions worked so much better...

Date: September 25, 2017 13:32

yes a no brainer, I doo agree but I think Mick dont want to abandon the crowd pleaser of the "uh huh!" and the coreography. and that is a huuuge compromise. a huge "filter" if you pardon me the irony
mick thinks differently and as we know it is him who decide the setlist (with a little help of chuck)
i think we all know that if they would start with street fighting man...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 13:34 by maumau.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 25, 2017 13:44

Lorenz

a super loud but totally out of key Keith riff. People were turning heads and asking if something was really wrong with the sound.

>grinning smiley<smoking smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Socrates1 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 14:05

Keith has no sympathy for the Devil. Why else would he play the solo that way? Seems like it's mostly that song.. Hmmm. E pentatonic scale. He doesn't want to play it right.

Date: September 25, 2017 14:15

maumau
yes a no brainer, I doo agree but I think Mick dont want to abandon the crowd pleaser of the "uh huh!" and the coreography. and that is a huuuge compromise. a huge "filter" if you pardon me the irony
mick thinks differently and as we know it is him who decide the setlist (with a little help of chuck)

Totally agree with all above maumau thumbs up

Its like Miss You, Mick will never abandon a crowd pleaser .

Mick is as suborn at keeping SFTD as Keith is stubborn at ruining it.

I see Keith deliberately not coming in on cue to Sympathy's solo and then he starts running and high fiving the crowd or what ever, then as an after thought he goes completely against the grain of bothering with the original solo and plays this off key monster sound. Haha gotta love him.

Socrates just seen your post after this one, you are on my wave length, he doesn't want to play it .
No one on iorr had thought about that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 14:23 by stone4ever.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 25, 2017 14:19

By the way, what's up with the Rolling Stones' Facebook account. No proper videos from this tour so far? Quite disappointing.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 25, 2017 14:22

You mean video and sound from this Tour ?

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 25, 2017 14:22

I don't want to turn into a couch complainer... He screwed up the SFTD solo when I saw them in 1989. He played it great again when I saw them on the Licks tour in 2002. So it's been a hit-or-miss affair with that one since.. a long time ago. What is it with that song? I might get there late if I knew they were opening with it..

Date: September 25, 2017 14:25

stone4ever
maumau

I see Keith deliberately not coming in on cue to Sympathy's solo and then he starts running and high fiving the crowd or what ever, then as an after thought he goes completely against the grain of bothering with the original solo and plays this off key monster sound. Haha gotta love him.

Socrates just seen your post after this one, you are on my wave length, he doesn't want to play it .

smileys with beer Hi, I'm leaving again. Just wanted to talk about the music a bit. Great tour so far!

Date: September 25, 2017 14:41

Socrates1
stone4ever
maumau

smileys with beer Hi, I'm leaving again. Just wanted to talk about the music a bit. Great tour so far!

Nice to hear from you Socrates smileys with beer

Date: September 25, 2017 14:52

Thanks, good to read you too, cheers. smileys with beer

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: September 25, 2017 15:26

SFM was great in Lucca, I close my eyes and listen to how Keith lead the band.
Today I saw stones plane in Pisa airport at 10.00 am.

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: September 25, 2017 16:41

Lorenz
What I don't get is why they choose and keep Sympathy as an opener.

Most probably for a quite simple reason: it's the only song that doesn't start with a Keith riff. That is, starting the show with SFTD is the only way to keep Keith from botching already the first and opening riff of a show.

Sounds bitter perhaps but let's stay realistic.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 25, 2017 17:18

Sympathy is the perfect opener right now. Start Me Up and Jumping Jack Flash are worn out as openers.

Sympathy builds up the tension in the crowd and the lowlight of the show (Keith's solo) is done and over with so the band can move on to better things.

Date: September 25, 2017 17:20

I disagree, doitywoik. Other than the Beast Of Burden intro - replete with the whuring sound of fluttering bird's wings - I can't see where Keith has botched-up much of anything on this tour. Yeah, the SFTD solo, so what.

Mostly Keith sounds really good to me. Here's my take on the whole thing... do you want to know what it is? I think Keith could switch out his amps if he wanted to. His sound isn't always warm enough right now to my ears. I guess that's the way he wants it.

But every little mistake anyone makes, playing through a clean channel will be magnified. Your scarf brushes up against the strings, there goes a little noise people are going to complain about on the internet..

I think Keith is doing something new with his sound. When it all works you get Zurich. Keith's guitar sounded like pulsing lightning bolts all over that show. He was on everywhere. When the clean channel stuff works it works, when it doesn't it doesn't. You can get a real invigorating sound or a grating sound.

Plus the promoters must not annoy the audience: that's crucial. Don't annoy the audience and the band will play better.

Now I'm an expert on everything. Of course these are just my impressions from the internet. I wasn't at the Lucca or the Zurich show. I hope everyone enjoys their Stones experiences!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 17:21 by Socrates1.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122Next
Current Page: 20 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1337
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home