Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Covers of Stones songs
Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 21:47

On another thread I made the suggestion that the Stones are covered less frequently and less memorably than their status as songwriters might lead one to expect. I don't know if this is true and can't be bothered to even attempt to quantify it ... but it has always seemed to me that, for example, their peers Dylan and Lennon/McCartney are covered more often and to better result than are Jagger/Richards.

(This is not in any way to diminish The Glimmers as songwriters--they are clearly at or near the top of the heap in rock history as composers.)

One theory advanced in that other thread--not originally by me--was that the performance of Jagger/Richards songs by the band is so distinctive and idiosyncratic that replicating the quality of those versions ... or even digging into the compositions deeply enough to find a possible original variation ... are daunting propositions.

Is this a crock? Are The Stones in fact covered as often and as well as you might expect? Or is there something to this thesis?

I was listening to two wonderful covers this morning, of the same song, "Let's Spend the Night Together":

The Jerry Garcia Band (including the magical Nicky Hopkins), and

David Bowie

Both are "keepers," for very different reasons, of course. The JGB take 18 mins to slinkily unspool the magic of the riff, while DBowie blows the lid off the 60's in 3 hyperkinetic minutes. (The Bowie, for my money, might be the "greatest" of all Stones covers, for its sheer audacity.)

I don't prefer either to the perfection of the Stones' original take on the song; but both do provide fascinating insights into the composition itself.

What are your favorite covers? Do any of them surpass the band's original recording? Are they an 'easy' band to cover relatively well ... or are decent covers few and far between?

Re: Covers of Stones songs
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 19, 2017 22:06

Glyn Johns (yes, that one!) sings Lady Jane on Spanish TV in 1966.
Brian Jones on sitar.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.45cat.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2017 22:26

I've always been a fan of Paint it Black covers - not all, but some of them are quite great!
And while none of them will ever be as great as the original, some of them have a found a place in my heart.
From pleasant operatic to nasty hardcore metal (and everything in between), they all have a certain charm while retaining an element of the darkness.

Karel Gott - Paint it Black

The Black Dahlia Murder - Paint it Black

Marie LaforĂȘt -Paint It Black

Ministry - Paint It Black

And as a bonus, a bluegrass acoustic instrumental version...even without vocals it somehow works!

The Nashville Superpickers - Paint it Black

And finally an orchestral version that is as pure, simple, beautiful, and haunting as it can get.

Rolling Stones - Paint it Black Orchestral Remastering

Posted by: LukeTheDrifter ()
Date: September 19, 2017 23:27

LongBeachArena72

I was listening to two wonderful covers this morning, of the same song, "Let's Spend the Night Together":

The Jerry Garcia Band (including the magical Nicky Hopkins), and

David Bowie

Both are "keepers," for very different reasons, of course. The JGB take 18 mins to slinkily unspool the magic of the riff, while DBowie blows the lid off the 60's in 3 hyperkinetic minutes. (The Bowie, for my money, might be the "greatest" of all Stones covers, for its sheer audacity.)

I don't prefer either to the perfection of the Stones' original take on the song; but both do provide fascinating insights into the composition itself.

What are your favorite covers? Do any of them surpass the band's original recording? Are they an 'easy' band to cover relatively well ... or are decent covers few and far between?

Here's another fascinating cover of Let's Spend the Night:
Muddy Waters [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 19, 2017 23:51

can someone mention Steve Earle here yet? He's done beautiful covers of dead flowers and Before they make me Run. Real good stuff! Live and studio. Real deal soulful. Real deal brilliant rock and roll in my opinion.

Date: September 20, 2017 00:26

Hairball
I've always been a fan of Paint it Black covers - not all, but some of them are quite great!
And while none of them will ever be as great as the original, some of them have a found a place in my heart.
From pleasant operatic to nasty hardcore metal (and everything in between), they all have a certain charm while retaining an element of the darkness.

Karel Gott - Paint it Black

The Black Dahlia Murder - Paint it Black

Marie LaforĂȘt -Paint It Black

Ministry - Paint It Black

And as a bonus, a bluegrass acoustic instrumental version...even without vocals it somehow works!

The Nashville Superpickers - Paint it Black

And finally an orchestral version that is as pure, simple, beautiful, and haunting as it can get.

Rolling Stones - Paint it Black Orchestral Remastering

Deep Purple did in the 70s as well, didn't they?

Date: September 20, 2017 00:29

The Supersuckers w Steve Earle - Before They Make Me Run
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 00:31 by hopkins.

Date: September 20, 2017 00:35

DandelionPowderman

Quickly looking it up on youtube (Deep Purple-Paint it Black), seems they covered it live in the '70s up into the '90's (with and without Blackmore), but not sure if it was ever an official release on a live album?

edit: Evidently they did officially release a '90's live version w/Blackmore on a cd/dvd called Come Hell or High Water.

Also, Eric Burden and the Animals at Monterey - nice version. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 00:38 by Hairball.

Date: September 20, 2017 00:39

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

Quickly looking it up on youtube (Deep Purple-Paint it Black), seems they covered it live in the '70s up into the '90's (with and without Blackmore), but not sure if it was ever an official release on a live albgum?

It is on one (or more) of the 70s live albums that have been released in later years. Can't remember which show(s), but it is on Spotify.

Date: September 20, 2017 00:44

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

Quickly looking it up on youtube (Deep Purple-Paint it Black), seems they covered it live in the '70s up into the '90's (with and without Blackmore), but not sure if it was ever an official release on a live albgum?

It is on one (or more) of the 70s live albums that have been released in later years. Can't remember which show(s), but it is on Spotify.

I edited my post above after finding out it released on a '90's live album - Come Hell or High Water.
I suppose it could have been released on others as well?

" It was originally recorded by Swedish National Radio for a radio show called Tonkraft at the Stockholm Konserthuset on 12 November 1970, but not released until 1988"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 00:47 by Hairball.

Date: September 20, 2017 01:05

Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

I edited my post above after finding out it released on a '90's live album - Come Hell or High Water.

" It was originally recorded by Swedish National Radio for a radio show called Tonkraft at the Stockholm Konserthuset on 12 November 1970, but not released until 1988"

Found it! smiling smiley

[www.discogs.com]

Date: September 20, 2017 01:06

Ha, you beat me to it smiling smiley

Date: September 20, 2017 01:26

DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman
Hairball
DandelionPowderman

Found it! smiling smiley

[www.discogs.com]

Looks like "Scandinavian Nights" and "Live in Stockhom" are one in the same with similar (or identical) tracklisting. According to discogs- Live in Stockholm "All tracks recorded live at Stockholm Konserthuset, November 12th, 1970. Except tracks 2-3 & 2-4 recorded November 1st, 1970 at Olympia Music Hall, Paris"recorded live at Stockholm Konserthuset, November 12th, 1970"

From wiki for Scandinavian Nights:

The US double CD, released in 1992, was titled Live and Rare, while the European double vinyl and double CD, released in 1988, were both titled Scandinavian Nights. The European vinyl release contained a limited edition picture booklet. The track timings printed (on both European vinyl and CD) refer to the length of the actual songs, in-between pauses are not included, but the timings on the US CDs do include the pauses.

The original master tapes were later discovered and remixed for a re-release as Live in Stockholm by Purple Records in 2005, with improved sound quality. On the original release the song running order was adjusted to fit the timing-restrictions of vinyl,and the CD edition unnecessarily mimicked this; Live in Stockholm features the set list in the correct order.

A new edition of the album, titled Stockholm 1970, was released in 2014 by EDEL as part of "The Official Deep Purple (Overseas) Live Series" with additional material: two songs recorded in Paris in 1970; contemporary Jon Lord interview; a bonus DVD with Deep Purple's performance at Granada TV in 1970, previously released on VHS as Doing Their Thing.

WTF? lol it's all a confusing quagmire of overlapping releases with different titles for the same material made for different markets with different bonus material and of varying quality - like an algebra problem with no absolute clear answer and I'm now dizzy with a minor headache .winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-20 01:27 by Hairball.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 20, 2017 02:50

Hairball
DandelionPowderman

Quickly looking it up on youtube (Deep Purple-Paint it Black), seems they covered it live in the '70s up into the '90's (with and without Blackmore), but not sure if it was ever an official release on a live album?

edit: Evidently they did officially release a '90's live version w/Blackmore on a cd/dvd called Come Hell or High Water.

Studio track on Eric Burden and the Animals WINDS OF CHANGE.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 20, 2017 03:05

Ramblin Jack Elliott - Connection

One of me fave Stones covers .. it's loose and it swings...

Keith woulda got a buzzzzzz from Ramblin' Jack covering his song ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: September 20, 2017 03:30

Billy Bragg-She Smiled Sweetly. Beautiful [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: HomerSimpson ()
Date: September 20, 2017 04:09

Date: September 20, 2017 04:17

Rockman
Ramblin Jack Elliott - Connection

One of me fave Stones covers .. it's loose and it swings...

Keith woulda got a buzzzzzz from Ramblin' Jack covering his song ...

Brilliant and TY! wudda never known without ya Terry; tres cool...lol; supah...

Date: September 20, 2017 04:32

I know many can't stand it, but I've always enjoyed the quirkiness and goofiness of Devos Satisfaction.
Being in High school when it was released, and having seen them live at the Santa Monica Civic at the time, could have something to do with it.
They chew it up and spit it all out out resulting in something that's so far from the original there's a certain uniqueness to it that many covers lack.

Date: September 20, 2017 06:04

Covers of Stones songs...

Crash-Hot
Think - The Little Killers
Satisfaction - Otis Redding
Connection - Ramblin' Jack Elliot

Strange
No Expectations - The Dirt Bombs...Builds from Expectations to Sympathy
Andre's Blues - The Greasy Chickens..Dedicated to Andre Williams but built around Andrew's Blues

Kinda really strange/bad
Let's Spend The Night Together - Teddy Brown & The Discolettes

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 20, 2017 06:11

Posted by: tattoogal ()
Date: September 20, 2017 06:40

Hey Rockman ,
any chance on hearing these or where i can find them ? thanks suzie

No Expectations - The Dirt Bombs...Builds from Expectations to Sympathy

Andre's Blues - The Greasy Chickens..Dedicated to Andre Williams but built around Andrew's Blues

Let's Spend The Night Together - Teddy Brown & The Discolettes

Date: September 20, 2017 06:58

....eeeerrr suzie .... Not sure if they are on YouTube...

The Dirt Bombs track is on a double Dirtbomb 2Cd comp ...If You Don't Already Have A Look

Andre track is on the Norton Records series of Stones covers on 7"

Teddy Brown is on Muzik City: The Story Of Trojan 4CD set

ROCKMAN

Date: September 20, 2017 07:15

Thanks Rockyman
Thanks for the info.
looked on youtube , no luck!

Date: September 20, 2017 07:20

....'ere ya go suzie ....Dirtbombs - No Expectations

[www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: September 20, 2017 07:25

.... Hey suzie .... here's the Teddy Brown track ... 2 down one ta go

[www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: September 20, 2017 07:26

Wow ,great find thanks rockman ,how did i miss that?
maybe too much wine last night !

Andre's Blues - The Greasy Chickens , love to hear the track.

Date: September 20, 2017 07:34

Andre's Blues - The Greasy Chickens , love to hear the track.

B-side of one of the Norton Records series of Stones covers ...

You can hear the A - Side Spider & Fly here .. [www.discogs.com]

ROCKMAN

Date: September 20, 2017 07:38

Thanks Rockman,
love that reggae version ,Let's Spend The Night Together!

Date: September 20, 2017 07:38

Here's the frantic Think by The Little Killers from Norton 7" series

[www.youtube.com]

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home