Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
O.T Ryanair cancelling around 50 flights a day
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 17, 2017 14:39

If you are traveling for the Stones tour or just flying elsewhere and have flights booked with Ryanair then check your bookings as Ryanair have just announced that they will be cancelling around 50 flights a day for the next 6 weeks.

Nate

Re: O.T Ryanair cancelling around 50 flights a day
Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 17, 2017 14:41

Nate
If you are traveling for the Stones tour or just flying elsewhere and have flights booked with Ryanair then check your bookings as Ryanair have just announced that they will be cancelling around 50 flights a day for the next 6 weeks.

Nate

Same with AirBerlin - insolvency.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 17, 2017 15:33

I'm aware - it's been splashed all over the news. What their supremely arrogant CEO Michael O'Leary needs to grasp is that passengers are protected by all sorts of strict EU Legislation when this happens and the passenger is entitled to compensation far in excess of ticket revenue.

The rules are stated below:

[www.bbc.co.uk]

I fly to Barcelona with them on Saturday and back from Madrid the following Sunday. If I'm in any way unduly affected, I know my rights and I'll take them to the cleaners. O'Leary is banking on the public's apathy and ignorance of their rights but hopefully he will get a well deserved bite on the bum over this.

Date: September 17, 2017 17:38

They have already cancelled over 80 flights today.

Nate

Date: September 17, 2017 17:52

Nate

Nate

They're certainly not the only airline who cancel flights by a long chalk but that is absolutely shameful. By Law they have to put affected passengers on with a rival airline or cough up that 200+ Euros. If the public are determined enough, this can turn into a massive own goal.

Date: September 17, 2017 18:17

grzegorz67
Nate

Nate

They're certainly not the only airline who cancel flights by a long chalk but that is absolutely shameful. By Law they have to put affected passengers on with a rival airline or cough up that 200+ Euros. If the public are determined enough, this can turn into a massive own goal.

Yes by law they are supposed to rebook passengers and payout compensation but you could probably walk to your destination by the time you get any money out of Ryanair.

Hope everything works out ok for people who have booked with them,personally I would never fly with them they have many problems some of which are a major safety issue.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 18:18 by Nate.

Date: September 17, 2017 18:51

Nate
grzegorz67
Nate

Nate

Yes by law they are supposed to rebook passengers and payout compensation but you could probably walk to your destination by the time you get any money out of Ryanair.

Hope everything works out ok for people who have booked with them,personally I would never fly with them they have many problems some of which are a major safety issue.

Nate

There are 4 flights a day on the 2 routes I'm using so I'll get there one way or the other. and if I have to shell out for unplanned airport transfers then I'll keep the receipts and send them the bills.

They are allowing displaced passengers to rebook on another flight on the same route free of charge and they have lists of cancelled flights 3 days in advance on their website.

All airlines cut corners these days in an attempt to compete. The 'mature' airlines such as British Airways in particular usually have very old fleets of planes which is an issue in itself.

Whatever airline you fly with it's still at least 20 times safer per mile than travelling by car.

Date: September 17, 2017 19:05

Ryanair exclusively flies Boeing 737.Boeing outsourced the production of many of the components used to build these aircraft there have been some problems and whistleblowers have been fired for exposing this major safety issue.
There are some documentaries on YouTube about this and also others about the unsafe practices of Ryanair.I don't know how to post links but these documentaries can easily be found by searching online.

Nate

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 17, 2017 20:15

Nate
Ryanair exclusively flies Boeing 737.Boeing outsourced the production of many of the components used to build these aircraft there have been some problems and whistleblowers have been fired for exposing this major safety issue.
There are some documentaries on YouTube about this and also others about the unsafe practices of Ryanair.I don't know how to post links but these documentaries can easily be found by searching online.

Nate

Thanks Nate.

Date: September 17, 2017 20:23

Nate

Nate

I'll have a look out for that Nate. Ta. I know their entire fleet is 737-800s and the seat total (189?) is just within a tax threshold of some sort. If it's as bad as the documentaries suggest then Hopefully they'll be nailed down for this before a major incident occurs. I've never been a fan and I can't stand their CEO but they've always been fine for me.

Date: September 17, 2017 20:36

The Boeing documentary is called people and power on a wing and a prayer and there are two documentaries about Ryanair called Ryanair caught napping and Ryanair mayday mayday all are available to watch on YouTube.

Nate

Date: September 17, 2017 20:52

Their principal rivals in the UK, EastJet of course, tend to buy Airbuses. They tend to be a little more expensive than Ryanair, but perhaps worth it winking smiley

Edit. On another message board I use, my football club's (Heart of Midlothian), I read with horror that Rynair staff have to buy their own uniforms!! If true, How outrageous! They're apparently haemorrhaging staff as their rivals offer far better perks. Apparently many are moving to Norwegian, another budget airline.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-17 21:28 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 17, 2017 23:22

difficult for people to get home if the airline cant be contacted, so in theory people may be due compensation, hotel for night, flight home by rival company but in practice things are very different.

didnt realise ryanair were indulging in unsafe practices but im sure the civil aviation authority will be interested.

Date: September 17, 2017 23:58

Yes Ryanair staff do have to pay for their unfiforms the pilots even have to buy their own water to take on board I could go on but you get the picture.Staff are leaving to take employment with rivals who offer better working conditions.One of the safety issues regarding this airline is that they only allow pilots to take the legal minimum amount of fuel for the flight if a pilot takes more he risks being fired.There have been previous situations where Ryanair flights were in holding stacks waiting to land and have had to jump the queue because of very low fuel reserves now imagine that there are several Ryanair flights in that holding stack with the same problem.

Nate

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 18, 2017 00:16

My niece had her vacation flight canceled with very little notice--according to a BBC report I saw yesterday, part of the problem is that Ryanair have gotten themselves into the situation of letting way too many employees take their own vacation days at this time, so they're severely understaffed.

Date: September 18, 2017 00:39

Unfortunately many of the Stones' 'travelling support' will have booked with them (me included) and are at risk. Under 2% of all flights is small, but for those it actually happens to, it must be horrendous. They have a huge share of the European Market and do loads of flights between countries other than the U.K. And Ireland.

I'm told that their Facebook page is in meltdown with all the grief they're getting from stranded passengers. They'll be absolutely hammered over this and lose lots of custom, probably including mine.

I'm going to Barca then finishing up with all 3 Paris shows. Glad I'm doing the latter by Eurostar!

Date: September 18, 2017 05:38

why dont we all boycott ryanair.

result, no more ryanair.

its that simple.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 18, 2017 06:58

grzegorz67

I'm told that their Facebook page is in meltdown with all the grief they're getting from stranded passengers. They'll be absolutely hammered over this and lose lots of custom, probably including mine.

Just looked at their Facebook page--it's brutal over there. Especially as this is NOT the time to be proudly announcing a new schedule of flights from Brussels. You're right, the PR fallout will be horrendous.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 18, 2017 10:43

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 10:43 by Doc.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 18, 2017 10:44

grzegorz67
Their principal rivals in the UK, EastJet of course, tend to buy Airbuses. They tend to be a little more expensive than Ryanair, but perhaps worth it winking smiley

Yes, EasyJet buys brand new regular Airbus planes and sells them after approx. 3 years, before having to face the D-check (4/5 years after plane purchase).
The average age is reportedly 2.5 years.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 18, 2017 11:39

Nate
I would never fly with them they have many problems some of which are a major safety issue.

Nate

thumbs up plus don't make yourself an accomplice to what is basically in-the-air slavery. Ryanair employees are treated so badly it's sickening.

Date: September 18, 2017 12:41

dcba
Nate
I would never fly with them they have many problems some of which are a major safety issue.

Nate

thumbs up plus don't make yourself an accomplice to what is basically in-the-air slavery. Ryanair employees are treated so badly it's sickening.

I'm hearing more and more about this today. My upcoming pair of flights with them will be my last, unless there are no other choices for wherever I'm going. Their staff T & C's seem to be straight out of Victorian times. They are also paid well below market rate and tend not to stay long. Their business model is collapsing. Mass staff departure is contributing as much to this disgrace as bad business planning, I'm hearing.

Date: September 18, 2017 19:38

ryanair operate in a different market than easyjet, so its not always an option to change airlines.

im flying with wizzair next month, wonder if they use airbus or boeing.

Date: September 18, 2017 19:47

buttons67
ryanair operate in a different market than easyjet, so its not always an option to change airlines.

Wizzair use airbus A320

Date: September 18, 2017 20:02

buttons67

Ryanair certainly have greater coverage then Easyjet. I've used Wizzair a few times and thought they were fine. They're Hungarian. Their planes are painted purple and all the decor inside is purple too. They're very strong on the Eastern European routes.

Ryanair are apparently haemorraging staff to their fast growing rival, Norwegian, who treat their staff a little better, and actually allow them to join Unions, which Ryanair does not. 140 Pilots have moved from Ryanair to Easyjet this year so far! In fact at the start of the 14OF Euro-Tour, which began in Oslo, Norwegian had a strike with several posters on here booked on flights to Oslo. Thankfully the strike was called off at the last minute, and they made it to the show.

According to a number of news feeds, that's the real reason for the cancellations and the annual leave mismanagement is a mere minor contributor to it. I'm hearing that Ryanair are now being put under extreme pressure to anounce all of their cancelled flights up to the end of October.

This isn't completely off topic as a number of Stones fans will be affected by this, and I might end up being one of them sad smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 18, 2017 21:44

You pay almost nothing for a budget airline ticket. If they can't fly then they refund the almost nothing paid money. Then you have to find another flight costing more. If your holiday, or a Stones concert, is worth something for you, then order a flight i.e. travel from someone with a strong history of quality in delivery.

Bjornulf

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: September 18, 2017 22:04

bv
You pay almost nothing for a budget airline ticket. If they can't fly then they refund the almost nothing paid money. Then you have to find another flight costing more. If your holiday, or a Stones concert, is worth something for you, then order a flight i.e. travel from someone with a strong history of quality in delivery.
You are so right. Whether it's a holiday or an important event (Stones gig!), choose an airline or rail company you trust.

Date: September 18, 2017 22:48

You can now view a list of all the cancelled Ryanair flights up to October 28th on their website.

Nate

Date: September 18, 2017 23:44

Nate
You can now view a list of all the cancelled Ryanair flights up to October 28th on their website.

Nate

Just checked. I'm fine both ways. Phew! Hope everyone else is too. If not, know your rights and challenge them. An alternative flight + 250€ is the law! Don't accept a mere refund.

Date: September 19, 2017 00:00

bv

By EU Law, they have to provide an alternative flight between the same 2 destinations + €250 compensation. But in practise Ryanair don't do this as their minuscule Customer Service desk closes or goes AWOL. Even when it does, It only really works for flights between major centres served by lots of airlines. If you go from say, Newcastle to Kraków and the flight's cancelled, you're high and dry as it's probably 1 or 2 flights a week.

Overall, I think the Budget Airlines have been a good thing as they've created competition for the old Star Alliance airlines (BA/KLM/Lufthansa etc). These old airlines were ripping us all off and profiteering outrageously for decades. So they've been forced to cut their costs and prices to compete.

Unfortunately, there are now so many budget airlines that there's a race to the bottom, with Ryanair leading the way and many going bust. Hopefully some good will come out of this, with Ryanair treating their staff better, even if it means increased fares.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home