Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20
Re: Spielberg Austria 16-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: September 18, 2017 13:49

O2
MacLaurens
For you who have seen Under My Thumb been played at Spielberg and Hamburg, does Ronnie play the riff or is it Chuck on the keyboard?

I think is Ronnie guitar...

Was asking my self the same. Have not heard it properly, it sounds like a guitar but it doesn't sound as if played by a guitar!

If indeed played by a keyboard (as I bet it was), I wonder why they didn't use the marimba sound.

C

Date: September 18, 2017 13:55

liddas
O2
MacLaurens
For you who have seen Under My Thumb been played at Spielberg and Hamburg, does Ronnie play the riff or is it Chuck on the keyboard?

Was asking my self the same. Have not heard it properly, it sounds like a guitar but it doesn't sound as if played by a guitar!

If indeed played by a keyboard (as I bet it was), I wonder why they didn't use the marimba sound.

C

Ronnie and Chuck play the riff. Keith alternates between straight barre chords, reggae licks and Stax soul-licks + plays the solo.

Date: September 18, 2017 13:59

DandelionPowderman
liddas
O2
MacLaurens

C

Well, then its the usual Chuck the one to blame. Awful sound!

C

Ronnie and Chuck play the riff. Keith alternates between straight barre chords, reggae licks and Stax soul-licks + plays the solo.

Date: September 18, 2017 14:03

liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas
O2
MacLaurens

C

C

Do you think so? I thought it sounded great. In the stadium, Ronnie's guitar was much louder than Chuck's marimba sound. Keith was just as loud as Ronnie, and complemented what he played with his licks. I think they found a great way of doing this classic again, after several lackluster attempts since 1982. Mick's singing was better timed than it was on UMT in the 90s and 00s as well.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 18, 2017 14:19

DandelionPowderman
liddas
DandelionPowderman
liddas
O2
MacLaurens

C

C

Do you think so? I thought it sounded great. In the stadium, Ronnie's guitar was much louder than Chuck's marimba sound. Keith was just as loud as Ronnie, and complemented what he played with his licks. I think they found a great way of doing this classic again, after several lackluster attempts since 1982. Mick's singing was better timed than it was on UMT in the 90s and 00s as well.

[www.youtube.com]

Guitars sound great, as usual. What is awful is the sound of the riff played by the piano (it certainly does not sound like a marimba).

As for the old versions, I remember a great version of it on the Bstage last time they played in Milano

C

Posted by: campxray ()
Date: September 18, 2017 19:36

Keith isn't the one who screwed up the beginning of Brown Sugar. I have a couple of facebook friends who are professional musicians and they analyzed it. Charlie made the first mistake and then Mick messed up by coming in early. Here's a complicated explanation from a musician as to what happened (actually kind of funny) ... "At the beginning of the video clip, CW's on the beat (1 and 3), rather than the backbeat (2 and 4).... It sounds all right that way, and I believe that KR and RW turn the beat around on CW here and there, and force CW to synch to them.... However, MJ begins his part a full beat ahead of time, and CW then synchs to him. RW looks as though he's listening to KR, but trying to figure out where is CW, and how to get CW to synch to KR." ... I didn't know playing in a band was that complicated. lol. [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 19:44

campxray
Keith isn't the one who screwed up the beginning of Brown Sugar. I have a couple of facebook friends who are professional musicians and they analyzed it. Charlie made the first mistake and then Mick messed up by coming in early. Here's a complicated explanation from a musician as to what happened (actually kind of funny) ... "At the beginning of the video clip, CW's on the beat (1 and 3), rather than the backbeat (2 and 4).... It sounds all right that way, and I believe that KR and RW turn the beat around on CW here and there, and force CW to synch to them.... However, MJ begins his part a full beat ahead of time, and CW then synchs to him. RW looks as though he's listening to KR, but trying to figure out where is CW, and how to get CW to synch to KR." ... I didn't know playing in a band was that complicated. lol. [www.youtube.com]

I think Keith made a mistake by waiting to long with the 3rd chord. Then Charlie got confused and started asynchron to Keith. Ronnie tries to follow Charlies beat but Keith plays wrong for the whole Intro and then Mick gets in with Charlies rhythm and Keith recognize that something is wrong and thinks it is Micks fault.

See here for full intro [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 19:47 by hockenheim95.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2017 19:56

hockenheim95
campxray

I think Keith made a mistake by waiting to long with the 3rd chord. Then Charlie got confused and started asynchron to Keith. Ronnie tries to follow Charlies beat but Keith plays wrong for the whole Intro and then Mick gets in with Charlies rhythm and Keith recognize that something is wrong and thinks it is Micks fault.

I was unsure of who Keith was yelling at in the first bit when he's yelling in Micks direction, but with the explanation above he might have been yelling directly at Mick himself. But then Keith turns to the other direction seemingly not playing at all and leaving the stage - was he going over to talk/yell at a guitar tech or sound guy? He didn't yell at Ronnie or Charlie, so wondering if he was he just completely confused and pissed off and aimed his frustration at those he doesn't really like - placing the blame on the easy targets?

Posted by: campxray ()
Date: September 18, 2017 20:36

Hairball
hockenheim95
campxray

I was unsure of who Keith was yelling at in the first bit when he's yelling in Micks direction, but with the explanation above he might have been yelling directly at Mick himself. But then Keith turns to the other direction seemingly not playing at all and leaving the stage - was he going over to talk/yell at a guitar tech or sound guy? He didn't yell at Ronnie or Charlie, so wondering if he was he just completely confused and pissed off and aimed his frustration at those he doesn't really like - placing the blame on the easy targets?

Someone here who was at the concert said that Keith was yelling in Mick's direction. It was probably because Mick started singing too soon (they were already having enough problems getting started. lol.) Some people speculate that when Keith turned in the other direction that there may have been a sound problem. Someone here mentioned that he thought Keith was having a problem with Macabre.

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 21:41

campxray
Hairball
hockenheim95
campxray

Someone here who was at the concert said that Keith was yelling in Mick's direction. It was probably because Mick started singing too soon (they were already having enough problems getting started. lol.) Some people speculate that when Keith turned in the other direction that there may have been a sound problem. Someone here mentioned that he thought Keith was having a problem with Macabre.
I don't think many people noticed. When the camera swings towards the audience you can see that most people looking at their phones.

Posted by: nikola0406 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 22:51

Yes, it was crazy. People looking at Facebook, Instagram, WhatsUp and IORR.orgsmiling smiley during the The Stones????

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 18, 2017 23:56

STREETFIGHTING MAN

video: [youtu.be]

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwww!!! thumbs uphot smiley

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 19, 2017 00:10

I think it might be Ronnie actually. It should be the opening riff one more time, but Ronnie goes on with the song. Mick comes in at the right time, but somehow then Keith gets annoyed. Anyway, weird mess. Keith looks like such an angry old grandpa grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 00:13 by Lorenz.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 00:12

RipThisBone
STREETFIGHTING MAN

Wow indeed! How good was that !?

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: September 19, 2017 00:13

JUST YOUR FOOL and RIDE EM ON DOWN close up! Great videos

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 19, 2017 01:21

Keith with fag hanging and woody sucking the smoke in

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 01:22 by black n blue.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 19, 2017 01:34

grzegorz67
RipThisBone
STREETFIGHTING MAN

Wow indeed! How good was that !?

Yeah, Keith sure played a mean Tele there !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: September 19, 2017 05:25

campxray
My thoughts too. Charlie made a mistake by not catching Keith's (obvious) pause, then compounded it by not correcting the beat to get back with Keith.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 19, 2017 09:10

hockenheim95
campxray

Correct. Keith played the BS intro with Start Me Up timing, so to speak. No wonder that Charlie was confused and thrown off. Ronnie had nothing to do with it.

Date: September 19, 2017 09:42

retired_dog
hockenheim95
campxray

Correct. Keith played the BS intro with Start Me Up timing, so to speak. No wonder that Charlie was confused and thrown off. Ronnie had nothing to do with it.

Ronnie had nothing to do with it, but they might have picked it up again faster hadn't Ronnie tried to convice Charlie to adjust his beat to what Keith was playing.

A hilarious fvck up, just like on She's So Cold Wembley 1982 smiling smiley

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: September 19, 2017 11:19

Keith hates metronome (Mick's idea)..It's been there for years now and now slow as ever. And most likely hates to play Brown sugar (Mick's song and riff). You can figure out the rest. I mean how many times he had ficked it up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 11:20 by AllAboutYours.

Date: September 19, 2017 11:26

AllAboutYours
Keith hates metronome (Mick's idea)..It's been there for years now and now slow as ever. And most likely hates to play Brown sugar (Mick's song and riff). You can figure out the rest. I mean how many times he had ficked it up.

But the songs Keith starts (PIB, SMU, BS, JJF etc.) are not faster than Chuck's beat per minute-count ins...

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 19, 2017 12:48

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
hockenheim95
campxray

Ronnie had nothing to do with it, but they might have picked it up again faster hadn't Ronnie tried to convice Charlie to adjust his beat to what Keith was playing.

A hilarious fvck up, just like on She's So Cold Wembley 1982 smiling smiley

Another thing that happens here is Charlie reversing his parts. On the second part of the intro he supposed to switch from the floor drum pattern to the hi-hat, and go back to the floor drum for the verse. But he keeps going with the floor all through the intro, and then switch to the hi-hat for the verse.

Posted by: Gerda ()
Date: September 19, 2017 14:28

[m.kurier.at]
This article in todays Kurier Newspaper says that many fans are fed up with the organizers and demand a refund for their tickets. It also confirms what many of us who went to the concert experienced, including Bjornulf.
It states that a lot of fans complain that shuttle services did not work but organizer blames bad weather conditions.
Furthermore, Gold circle Ticket holders who did not manage to get into their Sector now want their money back. Police denies that there had been any problems.

It´s Only Rock´n´Roll but Vienna likes it!

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 15:34

Indeed. After Keith's dwelling off the metronome, Charlie corrects and saves us from a complete trainwreck, but then Mick starts on the original metronome and spoils Charlie's fix.
Had it so often with my band, playing along on a click-track sucks for band-dynamics winking smiley

Date: September 19, 2017 15:35

shattered1978
Indeed. After Keith's dwelling off the metronome, Charlie corrects and saves us from a complete trainwreck, but then Mick starts on the original metronome and spoils Charlie's fix.
Had it so often with my band, playing along on a click-track sucks for band-dynamics winking smiley

Bands like the Stones are especially vulnerable for the «correct» speed smiling smiley

Date: September 19, 2017 15:44

DandelionPowderman
shattered1978

Bands like the Stones are especially vulnerable for the «correct» speed smiling smiley

To my taste they are indeed sticking a bit too much to "the count". A nice nickname for Chuck winking smiley

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: September 19, 2017 15:44

shattered1978

So do you think they use a click-track since this tour? In the past they didn't use it because you would hear it on the IEM-records that surfaced.

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: September 19, 2017 15:52

Anyone who was wrong Keith is wrong to behave like that, Keith is not a kid, he has been playing for years and should have the experience to figure out that he does not act like that. If at every wrong intro to him Mick would shout at him, I do not think he would be happy.

Date: September 19, 2017 15:53

hockenheim95
shattered1978

So do you think they use a click-track since this tour? In the past they didn't use it because you would hear it on the IEM-records that surfaced.

This "mistake" makes it very clear.
Also, if you look at the official printed set lists from the BB tour, there is the metronome tempo mentioned in bpm. A band has to be extremely mechanic to play the exact bpm without a metronome. I don't know how the click reaches the members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-19 15:56 by shattered1978.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home