Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 17 of 20
Re: Spielberg Austria 16-Sep-2017 Stones No Filter live show updates
Posted by: Woz ()
Date: September 18, 2017 01:19

Man, you people sure complain a lot....

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 18, 2017 01:33

O2
MacLaurens
For you who have seen Under My Thumb been played at Spielberg and Hamburg, does Ronnie play the riff or is it Chuck on the keyboard?

I think is Ronnie guitar...

Judging from a Hamburg video I saw, it sounded like Ronnie and Chuck were playing the riff in tandem. Keith was sort of replicating the chord work heard on the studio version.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: September 18, 2017 02:30

Hairball
DeanGoodman
Hairball

I hope Dean Goodman was at the show - looking forward to his honest review of the show! thumbs up winking smiley

Sorry to disappoint. Happy - to me - didn't stand out as being more chaotic than any of Keith's other senior moments. Obviously Brown Sugar was quite the drama. To my ears, Start Me Up almost fell apart mid-song. But I swear my review is fairly favorable to Keith and everyone else - well, not to the idiot organizers. Congrats to the fans who survived.

No disappointment here - I enjoy reading your honest and well written reviews, whether it's praising, criticizing, or paying attention to minor details that might have gone unnoticed - usually all in the same review. Your stories vividly paint a picture that captures the experience as a good story should. Having attended several of the same shows as you in the past (San Diego opener, '15 comes to mind), I look forward to your reviews, and while I don't always agree with every detail, they're always honest and well balanced from your personal perspective - the good, the bad, the ugly, warts and all. In fact these current round of reviews are almost as exciting to read as following the shows themselves live on facebook feed (well not quite winking smiley). Looking forward to the next one.

I should add that bv's reviews are also interesting coming from the perspective of someone who has dedicated most of his adult life to the Rolling Stones, and his current review of last nights show is exceptional imo. In fact, as an avid reader and a diehard fan of the Stones, I enjoy reading all of the reviews from those who were at the shows. From the high praising and glowing (and sometimes a bit unrealistic) "best performance ever" reviews, to the less than stellar smack you in the face "never again" reviews, and those that are a bit mixed "Mick was great but Keith sucked", etc., etc., etc., they all have value for those of us who aren't at the shows. And whether it's just a few sentences in the show thread, or a lengthy review sent to bv to be published in the main show index, much appreciation and thanks to all who take the time. I find more value in reading reviews from the fans themselves on IORR vs. some of the ones published in the local newspapers which sometimes come across as paid advertisements.

And then there's all of the great pics in the main archives for each show...thanks to all of the photographers for the stunning visuals to accompany all of the reviews! With just a click on the laptop or smartphone, there's hundreds of shows that can be revisited and relived that have been compiled on this site. It's for all of these reasons that make this site so great (along with all of the discussion threads of course), and special thanks to bv for keeping it rolling for all these years.

Looking forward to virtually experiencing Zurich from my home base in California, followed by the rest of the tour. All of the minute by minute updates is nothing short of a miracle and a far cry from trying to gather info back in 1981 when I attended my first Stones show. How did we even exist back then?!

thumbs up perfectly stated-- me too, thank you----

Posted by: campxray ()
Date: September 18, 2017 03:10

Lien
Benjy
And Ronnie is obviously smoking again....sad smiley. can see it during sympathy for the devil.

No, that clip is not from this tour !

Right. That clip was from last year's Ole Tour. But Ronnie is still smoking. Did you see him in Start Me Up? His solo starts around 1:55...[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 18, 2017 03:32

Woz

It's only Rant and Rave but we Gripe it.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 18, 2017 03:34

stonehearted
Woz

It's only Rant and Rave but we Gripe it.

smiling smiley

Posted by: DrFixembones ()
Date: September 18, 2017 07:46

I haven't posted on here for quite some time. This was my ninth show overall. My girlfriend and I traveled from Miami Florida to Austria on Thursday so we could go see the show in Austria then to Zürich and then Italy

The venue: pretty bad. Like everybody else said , this venue was not paired for 100,000 people. We rented a car from Vienna and drove the two hours into Spielberg. It was a long line to park but not a problem for us. It took a good 30-45 minutes to walk from the car to the entrance. Once inside, there was mud EVERYWHERE. You couldn't walk without getting stuck in the mud. We arrived at 5 pm and had GA tickets. We walked towards the front and got as close as we could and waited for a few hours before the show came on. Once it did, the stones were spectacular. There were some definite hick ups from Keith, and that's what it seemed to me. Was hoping for 22 songs but only got 20. Loved under my thumb! Was hoping for dancing with Mr. D as well. The crowd was not enthusiastic as other shows I have been to. Not much dancing. For anybody thinks that place was not sold out, you are wrong. It was packed to the brim.

After the show ended, the nightmare began. The mud with 6 inches deep and you could barely walk off of the grounds. Once you got out of the main entrance, there were thousands and thousands of people trying to walk back to their cars and at a standstill. It took a good hour and a half to walk back to the car.

Overall a great stones show, but a terrible venue. How they could have mud like that & such disorganization, I'll never understand. On to Zürich!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 07:47 by DrFixembones.

Posted by: nikola0406 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 07:52

This is Honky Tonk in 4K from where I was standing. I have only capture that one. Wanted to enjoy the show without phone. Note that there was no sound from Keith's giutar for the moment.
[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 08:07 by nikola0406.

Date: September 18, 2017 08:19

HonkeyTonkFlash
O2
MacLaurens
For you who have seen Under My Thumb been played at Spielberg and Hamburg, does Ronnie play the riff or is it Chuck on the keyboard?

I think is Ronnie guitar...

Judging from a Hamburg video I saw, it sounded like Ronnie and Chuck were playing the riff in tandem. Keith was sort of replicating the chord work heard on the studio version.

Keith is alternating between chords and those little reggae fills he often does. For some reason they fit nicely on UMT smiling smiley

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: September 18, 2017 08:45

Rik
gotdablouse
Gerda
Couldn´t figure out at first why Keith started yelling really loud in Micks direction when Keith himself got a completely wrong start with Brown Sugar - if it really was a technical problem, thanks for clarification.

Here : [youtu.be] ?

Wonder what happened indeed, the intro wasn't that bad ?

most people won't notice what happened. Showed this to some none fans and they didn't understood what was wrong..

So it shows that only a few people will notice these things,

It wasn't that bad at all. You're right - the vast majority of people at the show would not even notice it. Same as all the other "mistakes" that we keep bashing Keith and the others for - they are so small and minor and it's only us obsessive "anoraks"who can even tell. By the way, looking at this video, I think it's Charlie and Mixk who made the mistake, not Keith...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 18, 2017 08:51

nikola0406
This is Honky Tonk in 4K from where I was standing. I have only capture that one. Wanted to enjoy the show without phone. Note that there was no sound from Keith's giutar for the moment.
[youtu.be]

Very nice clear, clean, and crispy video nikola0406 - it's almost as if I'm standing right there amongst the crowd - thanks!!!

What on earth is going on with that lick during the opening riffage? Could it be a technical issue? It's as if he stops (or the sound stops?), and then he gives it another go to finish it off as if it were a practice session.

Date: September 18, 2017 09:16

As I said something was wrong with Micawber all night. All other guitars were spot on.

Date: September 18, 2017 09:49

nikola0406
As I said something was wrong with Micawber all night. All other guitars were spot on.

Hmmm ok.., I didn't read anywhere you saying something was wrong with Micawber all night.
Glad to know all the other guitars were functioning well.

Date: September 18, 2017 09:56

Hairball
nikola0406

Hmmm ok.., I didn't read anywhere you saying something was wrong with Micawber all night.

Yeah, I wrote a short review of a show. Nevermind, as I said I think something was wrong with a signal from that guitar. Keith was furious during Brown Sugar. I cant find a video that shows how he walk to the technical guy during the song and does not play at all. And then he shout something to him and continue with a song.

Date: September 18, 2017 10:01

Yes I saw that Brown Sugar video over in the "Keith Richards guitar playing comments" thread, but must have missed seeing your review!
If it's somwehere in this thread, I'll see if I can find it. thumbs up

edit: OK I found your review at the top of page 15 of this thread! thumbs up
Mdnight Rambler is always a highlight!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-18 10:05 by Hairball.

Posted by: MGetzner ()
Date: September 18, 2017 10:12

nikola0406
Hairball
nikola0406

Yeah, I wrote a short review of a show. Nevermind, as I said I think something was wrong with a signal from that guitar. Keith was furious during Brown Sugar. I cant find a video that shows how he walk to the technical guy during the song and does not play at all. And then he shout something to him and continue with a song.

Nikola, this was my impression as well (standing very close to the stage at Keith's side). The guitar went dead, then he went to the left to shout and point at the technician.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: September 18, 2017 10:40

DrFixembones
I haven't posted on here for quite some time.

you only registered 3 days ago....

Posted by: Benjy ()
Date: September 18, 2017 10:45

campxray
Lien
Benjy
And Ronnie is obviously smoking again....sad smiley. can see it during sympathy for the devil.

Right. That clip was from last year's Ole Tour. But Ronnie is still smoking. Did you see him in Start Me Up? His solo starts around 1:55...[www.youtube.com]

Really strange after his health issue - and his recent interviews....
Worried about him!

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 18, 2017 11:07

Hairball
nikola0406

Commenting on Keith feels like patricide. He is old and maybe not too well (not speculating in substance abuse, he aged quite a bit after that head injury). Weird because I think he looks better now than before.
Live he seems a bit detached.

Bill said their unique wobble, their sound, was always about to fall apart - loose and always about to come apart at the seems. Maybe that's what happening now.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: September 18, 2017 11:21

campxray
Lien
Benjy

Yes ,he is !grinning smiley

Posted by: DrFixembones ()
Date: September 18, 2017 12:01

Eleanor Rigby
DrFixembones
I haven't posted on here for quite some time.

you only registered 3 days ago....

I registered 10 years ago but lost my login information, so BV was kind enough to give me new username and password

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: September 18, 2017 12:13

Redhotcarpet
Hairball
nikola0406

Commenting on Keith feels like patricide. He is old and maybe not too well (not speculating in substance abuse, he aged quite a bit after that head injury). Weird because I think he looks better now than before.
Live he seems a bit detached.

Bill said their unique wobble, their sound, was always about to fall apart - loose and always about to come apart at the seems. Maybe that's what happening now.[/[/b]quote]

Yes, that's what I say: They're still getting better! grinning smiley

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: September 18, 2017 12:40

Brown Sugar:
[www.youtube.com]

Ok, I see what happend. Keith - like he sometimes does on SMU - added a little pause to the riff and that threw the band off.

Date: September 18, 2017 12:47

Yes there you can see him walking to the right side and not playing.

Posted by: Promoman2 ()
Date: September 18, 2017 12:50

schwonek
Brown Sugar:
[www.youtube.com]

Ok, I see what happend. Keith - like he sometimes does on SMU - added a little pause to the riff and that threw the band off.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thinks Mick comes in a bit early. I think that is what Keith reacted on.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 18, 2017 12:59

The Rolling Stones Boeing 767 takeoff at Zeltweg Air Base (Mick and Charlie waving for the fans at 1:00)

Date: September 18, 2017 13:12

Date: September 18, 2017 13:15

Looks like Keith's pants IS both dark and light by design, and that the stage lights enhanced it.

Date: September 18, 2017 13:21

DandelionPowderman
Looks like Keith's pants IS both dark and light by design, and that the stage lights enhanced it.

Yes, maybe. Here's another pic from the same Instagram account (although not as clear as the previous one):

[www.instagram.com]

Posted by: beno ()
Date: September 18, 2017 13:40

Started with my brother around 8 am from Budapest and after a good 4-hour drive we arrived at Spielberg. Our original idea was to park the car farther from the venue and change to our bikes for the last few kilometres. But due to rain about starting, we decided to park as near as possible. We ended up in a „green field” parking yard from where we could see the large screens of the venue, as well as the Stones Boeing staying there in the military airfield. Off we go by bike to find the Kassa where our Lucky Dip tickets awaited for us. I have to say, that despite the site-map the organizer sent, it was not simple to find the container booth with the „Kassa”. There were not many signs and local staff was not really aware what the hell LD Kassa was.. It was quite strange. During our walking around we already noticed the whole venue was covered by thick mud – had been raining in that area already for days. But finally we arrived at the ticket booth. We got Tribune D, probably Category B tickets (row 20). I was a bit disappointed, after reading about all those lucky fans collcting LD tickets for the pit! Later, I could really appreciate the mud-less tribune though, after the concert, and after seeing other fans with standing places and their shue and pants covered by mud up till knee… Anyway paying 50 EUR and getting a 170 EUR ticket is not a bad deal. Although, at the site it was plenty of second market GA tickets available also for 50 EUR… We got back to our car, and was considering a little biking in the area, but it just strated to rain (around 2 pm). So we stayed in the car – a van – and had little sleep, in the back, already transformed to a bed for the night with mattresses and sleeping bags. We started to walk to the venue around 5 pm, but there was a swirling mass of crowd on the paths so the walk took about an hour! we heard John Lee Hooker Jr from the outside – not bad, and he was saying at the end of his block that he will sometime move and live in this beautuful place in Austria.. Kaleo had almost the same sound as the Stones and they played really with energy, it was just not our cup of tea… But the crowed was grateful and responsive. By the way, it was rather cold in the evening, maybe 10 Celsius. We took some blankets from our car, and made good use of them.. Fortunately no rain during the show!

Stones arrived after 20:30 and hit the stage at around 20:45. People and cars were still queuing outside. But the number of people inside was increadibly. The tribunes were also packed, I geuss 95 % of seats were taken. My impressions from the show itself:

SFTD: great great way to open with it. Mick builds up the tension and Keith guitar arrives a few minutes later with light effects and loud as hell. It brings you shiver. My brother although missed a better solo, I was very satisfied.

IORR: last time in 2014 I found this number tired and boring. Now it was full of energy, groove and power. Absolutely a highlight!

TD: just business as usual.

JYF and REOD were nice, with blue lighted background. Played the way as in the record – guess it proves the info that the tracks were cut in the studio like a live action.

UMT: another highlight, with maybe a bit reggea-ish style, but Ronnie makes a very good job here! I was very happy that the song was back again to the setlist!

Rainbow: a true gem, and very good live song! Nice colors on stage! Unbelievable that it was written by the same band 50 years ago and now they are playing itt o us! Violin could have been added. I voted for Heartbreaker, buti t was also great!

You Can’t Alway, and Miss you vere as usual, maybe a bit tired by now..

PIB was very good, Keith with high energy!

Keith set was nice, with singing and guiter playing at the same time during Happy. Not much so during Slipping Away, but his singing in this is really really worth it!

MR had somewhat a different groove, still great, but missing MT here.

HTW as usual.

SFM is played with passion, I enjoy this song a lot. This was my compensation for not hearing Mr D tonight.

The rest is the home-ground for the band played great as always.

Interesting to hear the sound of voice of Mick and Keith is somehow distorted or alternated, buti t is not really the way you expect to sound for them. It was still like that in 2014. Maybe it is just me, and it is natural for everybody else?

It was funny that both Mick and Ronnie sported tongue T-shirt sometimes. Charlie with red socks..

No filter is a good name, you hear guitars very loud not buried in mix or anything.

I am not sure about the 4 separate screens, I preferred the on large unit.

After the concert we walked through the fields to our car. It was strange to see people who simply broke out by dismantling the fences themselvesand not bothering to get to the gates.. We decided to stay for the night in the parking place sleeping in the car. Next morning we discovered, that quite a number of others did the same – it had some woodstock-feeling. The Stones plane was still at the Zeltweg airfield in the morning. I guess they just took a smaller plane or helicopter at arriving and leaving the venue. I wonder where they actually stayed in the nearby..

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 17 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home