Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 127
Re: The Rolling Stones 2018 tour rumours - UK and more
Date: February 12, 2018 10:51

BowieStone
Irix
PaintMonkeyManBlack

- Belgium (Werchter still has a headliner to anounce and werchter classic the same. They almost never skip Werchter, but they did in 2017)

Now announced: 14-Jul-2018, Germany's Electro-Pioneers Kraftwerk ('Autobahn') -- dunno if they're the headliner of TW-Classic .... winking smiley

I believe Editors are the headliner at TW Classic.
Belgium is the only country where that band can be the headliner.

Might be Kraftwerk will play last that day, as they really need darkness.

maybe also the netherlands. Editors are a great great live band.

Still Werchter festival has to announce their Friday headliner. Likely to be The Killers but who knows. Pinkpop did it, so Werchter can also do it. Except they always chose to book the Stones for Classic. But maybe this time..

Posted by: justeillusion ()
Date: February 12, 2018 11:01

smileys with beer
Santipab
justeillusion
what do you think?

[www.google.fr]

Looks like a good option, especially if you are coming in/out of LHR as it's near the Piccadilly line tube too. Very easy on the 281 bus straight to the rugby ground.

The Travelodge in Teddington is also a good option as it's an easy bus ride from the stadium (also the 281 but the other direction). It's also near Teddington railway station which may be useful getting to central London or bus to the airport (285 or X26),
smileys with beer

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 12, 2018 11:36

As Pauly and other SW London luminaries have already stated, book accommodation in Twickenham, Richmond, Kingston.

Avoid Twickenham Station at the moment and commutes into/out of central London.
The station is being completely rebuilt. Take it from someone who passes through it on an almost daily basis. Its chaos. Avoid. Stay local. Use buses, local taxis. So much to see and do in the area. Hampton Court & Windsor are a stones (ahem) throw away....

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2018 12:45

Hairball
paulywaul
The St Giles is a poxy, dreary, characterless, over-priced dump in "West End Shopping Central", i.e. near the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road. People - use your brains, you can do a lot better !!!

I can vouch for that as I had some friends from shidoobee who chose to stay there during the '03 Licks shows. It was ugly, dark, and a dreary concrete slab - almost prison-like.
That said, there are many great hotels in Central London. My wife is originally from there and we've stayed in many nice places over the years (from major hotel chains to small B&b's, and everything in between). Might tend to be a bit pricey, but for someone who has never been to London and is unfamiliar with the tube, trains, etc., might make it more convenient to be right in the thick of it - especially if they plan on doing some of the touristy stuff. Could be a slight hassle to get back after the show (s) with the crowded trains, etc, but it's really just a small inconvenience.

Thats an understatement, considering there could be 60-70,000 people at the shows.

I stayed in central London when I attended the first 2003 Twickenham shows. Only because I was going to the Wembley and Astoria gigs the same week.

For the 2006 Twickenham shows, I stayed in Richmond and Kingston. FAR more convenient for the gigs and still easy access to London on non-show days.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 12:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 12, 2018 13:19

What will be good, not too expensive hotels or guesthouses near old Trafford, Manchester? i already searched through www.priceline.com for prices, and they have some budget hotels. Would like to stay near the stadium. Looking forward to some advise.Thanks
jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 13:24 by corriecas.

Posted by: markrs ()
Date: February 12, 2018 13:21

are there any chances of them staging the tour 'in the round'.

i watched the superbowl performance back last weekend and thought a lips stage like that would be a great visual backdrop for a full tour.

would probably mean extra tickets available too vs traditional stage set up which blocks out a whole end of the stadium

Posted by: MrsEdithGrove ()
Date: February 12, 2018 13:39

I live in Manchester. I would not recommend staying that close to the ground. It’s a rather boring area with little to do. Nearest budget hotels are near Salford Quays. The Ibis is probably the cheapest.

There are lots of trams from the grounds back to city centre. Loads of places to stay and many are quite cheap.

Alternatively an area called Chorlton cum Hardy is near the grounds and is quite groovy. I am not sure of any hotels there but there may be guesthouses and Air BnB

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 12, 2018 14:07

MrsEdithGrove
I live in Manchester. I would not recommend staying that close to the ground. It’s a rather boring area with little to do. Nearest budget hotels are near Salford Quays. The Ibis is probably the cheapest.

There are lots of trams from the grounds back to city centre. Loads of places to stay and many are quite cheap.

Alternatively an area called Chorlton cum Hardy is near the grounds and is quite groovy. I am not sure of any hotels there but there may be guesthouses and Air BnB

Thanks a lot.
Jeroen

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: February 12, 2018 15:20

Why they not playing in new wembley stadium or the Olympic in east london easy to get too, with chos at Twickenham station, crazy if u ask me.Last time took hrs to get back into london.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: February 12, 2018 15:35

Adrian-L
As Pauly and other SW London luminaries have already stated, book accommodation in Twickenham, Richmond, Kingston.

The station is being completely rebuilt. Take it from someone who passes through it on an almost daily basis. Its chaos. Avoid. Stay local. Use buses, local taxis. So much to see and do in the area. Hampton Court & Windsor are a stones (ahem) throw away....

Booked a cancelable room in Twickenham..
Re-thinking it now... wondering if in 4+ months the station chaos will have subsided (?).. Looks like the Richmond station is less than 2 miles away so not too bad if not, I suppose.

Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: February 12, 2018 15:52

As an Irish man i hope the Stones playing in Twickenham Stadium will be the only English highlight of the year in that stadium lol

If there's no Dublin date I reckon I might try for Manchester if date suites me. Twics is ruled out for me sadly

Date: February 12, 2018 16:10

MisterDDDD
Adrian-L

Re-thinking it now... wondering if in 4+ months the station chaos will have subsided (?).. Looks like the Richmond station is less than 2 miles away so not too bad if not, I suppose.

no - station works for at least another 12 months.
Twickenham station has been handling big event crowds since the year dot & they've always been useless at it. In fairness this is partly due to the infrastructure of the station (which is why all buildings have been demolished & its now a building site).
The station is still fully operational (with temporary footbridges in place to navigate in able to reach desired platform) but I wouldn't want to be using it with 50,000 other people post-gig.

Richmond station is 25 minutes walk along the A316 road or 35-40 minutes scenic walk along The Thames towpath, passing Eel Pie Island on the way. Alternatively a bus or taxi will take 5- 10 minutes from/to Richmond

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 16:17 by Adrian-L.

Date: February 12, 2018 16:21

Thanks kindly for the info, Adrian.
Think I'll stick w the walkable Twick reservation to eliminate having to use the station pre and post concerts.. Much appreciated.

Date: February 12, 2018 16:24

MisterDDDD
Think I'll stick w the walkable Twick reservation to eliminate having to use the station pre and post concerts.. Much appreciated.

wise move.
hope to see you there for an ale or two pre-show

Date: February 12, 2018 16:26

Adrian-L
MisterDDDD

wise move.
hope to see you there for an ale or two pre-show
smileys with beer

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 12, 2018 17:16

paulywaul
timbernardis
Will the St Giles be the preferred IORR (and other fan clubs) hotel of residence again? I know I stayed there at the end of the ABB tour in 2007, but that was when the shows were at the O2. How long does it take to get from the St Giles to Twickenham and how late do the trains run at night?

I don't remember any such thing, but was there any kind of a "special IORR rate" or anything of that ilk, which might happen again?

And I just looked online and they have a no cancellation refunds policy. That's pretty strict.

plexi

As a born and bred Londoner I'll take the opportunity (yet again) to remind people that central London is probably not the ideal location to bed down for a few days if the Stones are going to play Twickers on 19th and 23rd June - as currently rumoured.

WHY would you want to be in central London paying stupid central London prices when the reason you're in London in the first place is something that's happening in the most scenic part of the capital; namely Richmond/Kew/Twickenham.

Forget central London, look for bed & breakfast type accommodation in the Richmond/Kew area, there's plenty of it. You will be within comfortable walking distance of the stadium, you won't have to deal with the s**t of getting caught up in insane queues at Twickenham station getting back to central London after the gig(s), and on non-show days - you can be in central London in as little as 20 minutes if you take SW Trains from Richmond Station, or 35-40 minutes if you jump on the District Line. There's also the Overground line if you need to get to north London or east London.

The St Giles is a poxy, dreary, characterless, over-priced dump in "West End Shopping Central", i.e. near the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road. People - use your brains, you can do a lot better !!!

I agree with u Pauly that the place leaves a lot to b desired. The ONLY reason I might wish to stay there is a chance to mingle with a lot of IORRians and members of other Stones fan clubs. A few I remember from 2007 were Anastasio, Wilhelm the head of Stones Vikings (what has happened to him BTW, he used to post here quite a bit, I think under the name mickjaggeroo or something like that),and Beast and perhaps u were at an after-show gathering in the bar of the St Giles as well as others I don't quite remember.

plexi

Date: February 12, 2018 18:03

Topi
timbernardis
Topi

Yeah just kidding around. smiling smiley As for me, I'm bringing my girlfriend to London if the Twickenham dates hold true. Out 5th anniversary that very week. And she's never seen the Stones live...

Well that is great! But y have u never brought her 2 a show? And will u go to both shows?

plexi

I guess there's a first time for everything =)

We're just doing the one on the 23rd. Need to maximize vacation time and frankly, just can't afford to stay in London the whole week if I'm doing multiple shows on the tour.

Oh, u will b going to shows other than London?

plexi

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 12, 2018 18:15

kish_stoned
Why they not playing in new wembley stadium or the Olympic in east london easy to get too, with chos at Twickenham station, crazy if u ask me.Last time took hrs to get back into london.

Jagger and the boys will not be worrying about catching a tube after the show.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Santipab ()
Date: February 12, 2018 18:20

Adrian-L
MisterDDDD
Adrian-L

no - station works for at least another 12 months.
Twickenham station has been handling big event crowds since the year dot & they've always been useless at it. In fairness this is partly due to the infrastructure of the station (which is why all buildings have been demolished & its now a building site).
The station is still fully operational (with temporary footbridges in place to navigate in able to reach desired platform) but I wouldn't want to be using it with 50,000 other people post-gig.

Richmond station is 25 minutes walk along the A316 road or 35-40 minutes scenic walk along The Thames towpath, passing Eel Pie Island on the way. Alternatively a bus or taxi will take 5- 10 minutes from/to Richmond

Totally agree with all this. Twickenham station works will take years yet but it's always chaos when there are 50,000+ coming out of an event because it's not really designed for that (where is?).

Very easy to to get to Richmond, Hounslow, Teddington or Kingston on the bus from Twickenham though.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: February 12, 2018 18:54

timbernardis

plexi

Most certainly. 6 shows short of 20 all-time. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 18:54 by Topi.

Date: February 12, 2018 19:00

Topi
timbernardis

plexi

Most certainly. 6 shows short of 20 all-time. smiling smiley

Oh yes, u definitely want to reach that 20 show goal, if it is a goal. Will u get to all 6 this time around? Just like me -- I was obsessed with getting to 50 shows, which I did in Paris in October, in fact got up to 51.

plexi

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 12, 2018 19:11

Hello-

Just booked a room in Richmond. Am I correct that it is approximately 2 1/2 miles to Twickenham from there? Maybe walkable?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 12, 2018 19:39

Gazza
Hairball
paulywaul

I can vouch for that as I had some friends from shidoobee who chose to stay there during the '03 Licks shows. It was ugly, dark, and a dreary concrete slab - almost prison-like.
That said, there are many great hotels in Central London. My wife is originally from there and we've stayed in many nice places over the years (from major hotel chains to small B&b's, and everything in between). Might tend to be a bit pricey, but for someone who has never been to London and is unfamiliar with the tube, trains, etc., might make it more convenient to be right in the thick of it - especially if they plan on doing some of the touristy stuff. Could be a slight hassle to get back after the show (s) with the crowded trains, etc, but it's really just a small inconvenience.

Thats an understatement, considering there could be 60-70,000 people at the shows.

I stayed in central London when I attended the first 2003 Twickenham shows. Only because I was going to the Wembley and Astoria gigs the same week.

For the 2006 Twickenham shows, I stayed in Richmond and Kingston. FAR more convenient for the gigs and still easy access to London on non-show days.

True enough, plus I didn't realize the fact that the station at Twickenham is under construction, so I'll leave the travel logistics up to those who are more in the know! (glad to see you back here posting Gazza).
That said, I wouldn't recommend the St. Giles to anyone for any reason - Stones shows or not - there's far better places to stay.

PS- Gazza. I sat next to you at the Twickenham show '03 w/my friend Ed "LittleRedRooster"...I think we were 10th row center? Made it back to Central London on the trains after the show (with millions of others ha), but the tube was shutdown and the taxi que was a nightmare - we ended up making the 45 minute walk back to our hotel near Russell Square through the dark and near empty streets of London - quite memorable!
I also attended the Wembley and Astoria show as well as the Mick Taylor show at the tiny 100 Club...quite a fun week that was (even though Taylor didn't show up at the Astoria as heavily rumoured)!

Anyhow, even though I won't be attending any of the upcoming shows, exciting to get swept up with it all...beats speculating about the supposed new album when there's really not much to discuss.
Hope everyone has a great time and everything goes smoothly, and look forward to watching live via periscope and reading subsequent reviews from all perspectives. thumbs up

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: February 12, 2018 19:41

Great to see some dates posted!

Date: February 12, 2018 20:45

im not relaxing til the tour is actually confimred and a certain venue in Ireland is there

would just doing the UK & Ireland gross enough to make it worthwhile for the band or will us the fans have to suffer with €200+ ticket prices ???

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: February 12, 2018 20:56

I wouldn't expect to get much change from €200 for a Stones ticket unless they offer lucky dips again but personally I wouldn't gamble with those.

Nate

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: February 12, 2018 20:58

If you want to stay in the centre and not too fussy, there are Lots of premier inns and travel lodges in surprisingly good places in London - not excessively expensive, comfortable beds and bathrooms, not particularly great facilities but often very near good travel places and bars ( and a jolly site better than st Giles).

Central Richmond to twickenham walkable in 45 minutes directions available by googling....

A West London meet would be rather suitable - full circle !

Date: February 12, 2018 21:06

Nate
I wouldn't expect to get much change from €200 for a Stones ticket unless they offer lucky dips again but personally I wouldn't gamble with those.

Nate

Take Croke park its fit 75-80,000 for concerts and prices will effect the attendance, so the promoters have to be smart and have 'fair' ticket prices (same goes for all other venues)

Id pay €200 too see the stones are is prob be my only chance to see them but its a lot of €€€ when you think about it for 1.5/2 hour show. Thank god im single and dont have kids lol

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 12, 2018 21:37

Hairball
Gazza
Hairball
paulywaul

True enough, plus I didn't realize the fact that the station at Twickenham is under construction, so I'll leave the travel logistics up to those who are more in the know! (glad to see you back here posting Gazza).
That said, I wouldn't recommend the St. Giles to anyone for any reason - Stones shows or not - there's far better places to stay.

PS- Gazza. I sat next to you at the Twickenham show '03 w/my friend Ed "LittleRedRooster"...I think we were 10th row center? Made it back to Central London on the trains after the show (with millions of others ha), but the tube was shutdown and the taxi que was a nightmare - we ended up making the 45 minute walk back to our hotel near Russell Square through the dark and near empty streets of London - quite memorable!
I also attended the Wembley and Astoria show as well as the Mick Taylor show at the tiny 100 Club...quite a fun week that was (even though Taylor didn't show up at the Astoria as heavily rumoured)!

I remember you being with us (MarthaMyDear from Rocks Off was with us as well), but I didnt realise YOU were Hairball!

Thats hilarious that I replied to your comment about Twickenham '03 without realising you were sitting with me!

And there was a power cut when we got outside after the 100 Club gig and no Tubes, so it was a bit of a nightmare getting back that night!

I havent heard from Ed (LRR) in ages. Great guy. Hope he's well. When I met him before the Twickenham show, he had our tickets for the gig signed by Charlie Watts after meeting him at the baggage carousel following the flight in from Amsterdam! He even made sure Charlie signed the bit of the ticket that we kept!

10th row centre at Twickers is right. You can see us next to the catwalk when theyre walking back to the stage at the start of Gimme Shelter on Four Flicks!

I still think the Wembley show that week was the greatest Stones gig I've ever seen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-12 21:39 by Gazza.

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: February 12, 2018 22:02

What about the tickets for the field at Twickenham for Stone shows in the past: seats or standing?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5556575859606162636465...LastNext
Current Page: 60 of 127

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1495
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home