Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 127
Re: 2018 Tour of UK
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 27, 2017 20:50

Wow - didn't realize it was announced that Clapton will be headlining one of the Hyde park shows.
This is great news as I thought he was off to the farm for a peaceful retirement.

So you have Roger Waters on Friday, Clapton on Sunday...if the Stones play on Saturday it will be the next best thing to Desert Trip.
And where are The Who amidst all of this...hunkered down in Vegas? And Paul McCartney? Bob Dylan? Neil Young?

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 27, 2017 21:03

grzegorz67
Nate
Adrian-L
Wedding will be one of the May bank holiday weekends

I wonder if Prince Harry’s father James Hewitt will be in attendance.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sniggers grinning smiley. Whenever there’s a Royal Wedding on, I switch off my TV and Radio all day and avoid news sites. I have no time whatsoever for that over privileged shower of disfunctional inbreds (although Harry may not fall into that category) and I strongly object to funding their opulent existence with my taxes. At a personal level, I wish the couple a happy future in the same way I would any other random couple getting married.

If there’s a Stones gig the same day, that would be perfect for me and I would definitely be there, even if it was at a venue I don’t particularly like.

Same here.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 27, 2017 21:14

odean73
grzegorz67
Nate
Adrian-L
Wedding will be one of the May bank holiday weekends

I wonder if Prince Harry’s father James Hewitt will be in attendance.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Sniggers grinning smiley. Whenever there’s a Royal Wedding on, I switch off my TV and Radio all day and avoid news sites. I have no time whatsoever for that over privileged shower of disfunctional inbreds (although Harry may not fall into that category) and I strongly object to funding their opulent existence with my taxes. At a personal level, I wish the couple a happy future in the same way I would any other random couple getting married.

If there’s a Stones gig the same day, that would be perfect for me and I would definitely be there, even if it was at a venue I don’t particularly like.

Same here.

A Royal Wedding?
Wouldn't even consider watching. Belongs to the past.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 28, 2017 09:24

"Don't get me wrong..just gut feeling.most of the times i have been right.i dont have any info and am not an insider".

OK, Jeroen. As your feeling was so... particular and accurate ("around 8 January"), I thought it could be "more than a feeling", to mention the well known Boston's song...

Date: November 28, 2017 10:33

Hairball
Wow - didn't realize it was announced that Clapton will be headlining one of the Hyde park shows.
This is great news as I thought he was off to the farm for a peaceful retirement.

So you have Roger Waters on Friday, Clapton on Sunday...if the Stones play on Saturday it will be the next best thing to Desert Trip.
And where are The Who amidst all of this...hunkered down in Vegas? And Paul McCartney? Bob Dylan? Neil Young?

The lineup with Clapton, Santana, Steve Winwood and Gary Clark is awesome!

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 28, 2017 12:56

(Yes, I really don’t know)
Hyde Park: you rent a hotel room close as possible, and walk to your shows?
Through throngs of 50,000? 100,000? More?
Night after night?
I get The Glastonbury tent thing.
Also, all general admission Hyde Park?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 13:09 by 35love.

Date: November 28, 2017 13:26

35love
Night after night?

I stayed in the Victoria-area for the Stones's HP 2013-show (#1). No troubles whatsoever with the tube either way. The HP-area is huge, so even though there are 100.000 on their way there, you won't have any problems in transit to the park smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 28, 2017 13:49

DandelionPowderman
35love
Night after night?

I stayed in the Victoria-area for the Stones's HP 2013-show (#1). No troubles whatsoever with the tube either way. The HP-area is huge, so even though there are 100.000 on their way there, you won't have any problems in transit to the park smiling smiley

A half hour Tube journey from Hyde Park covers a huge area of London for you to pick your hotel from. And it's within walking range of several Tube stations on different lines, so big crowds are not a problem. However:

1) There is almost certainly going to be a strict 11p.m. curfew
2) It is not all GA - at least, it wasn't the last time the Stones did Hyde Park, and that caused all sorts of ructions with the ticketing - ask paulywaul!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 28, 2017 13:57

Dont think They will play Hyde Park once again. They have heard about the entry problems last time, and dont want to burden the fans once again...
Jeroen

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 28, 2017 14:53

The free Hyde Park concert in 196? had 100,000 attendance. But following decisions made by The Powers That Be, I think this was reduced to 50,000 for the 2013 Stones concert, and less still for other bands.

In 2013 the gates opened at 1.00, so people are drifting in for hours. So of course there are queues at times, maybe I was just lucky but didn't know of any 'entry problems' mentioned above. I arrived at gates about midday, so got a good place pretty near the front and next to the walkway, with my GA ticket.

Yes, there were some 'better' tickets to be had, but they had a rubbish view from the side, and much further from the stage than a lot of the GA people. I did hear they had carpets in their loos though. I suppose that would make it a hard call for some people, carpets in the loo area or a better view?!

Don't dismiss walking from your hotel as opposed to the tube. A twenty minute walk would likely be quicker, compared to all those escalators, changing lines etc. I have walked it from Victoria mainline Station, and would recommend that over the tube.

after a concert in Twickenham, fantastic organisation till we got off the train in London to announcements of 'just to let you the tube service has finished for tonight', though I do believe London Transport have made improvements and some services now run later. But don't make any assumptions, it's all in the planning, and a Plan B could come in useful!

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 28, 2017 14:57

Jezus..its gonna be another 6 months before the tour will start and i am already getting the Shakes and Stone fever again. GREAT. Happy to be a Stones fan.
Jeroen

Date: November 28, 2017 18:56

corriecas
Dont think They will play Hyde Park once again. They have heard about the entry problems last time, and dont want to burden the fans once again...
Jeroen

Yet they played a muddy field recently on the No Filter tour (was it Spielberg?) where logistics were a nightmare for some.
I don't think they care about the fans THAT much that they would pick venues with the fans in mind.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 28, 2017 18:57

In 2013, there was no problem coming in and out the area. However, long lines for beers. I stayed in a cheaper hotel close to Paddington - 10-15 minutes walk.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 28, 2017 19:08

The only thing they care about is their salary. Otherwise they wouldn't book fields in the middle of nowhere situated dozens of miles from the next 200.000 town or stadiums with bad acoustics. Of course Jagger read about the ArenA acoustics for instance (2017 was their 9th show there). But he gives a shit. On the other hand do they avoid concert venues with excellent acoustics because they can't hold 50.000 people. Sad but true. Great performers! (But also the Gutmenschen U2 and Springsteen play there.)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-28 19:22 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 28, 2017 22:04

"...But following decisions made by The Powers That Be, I think this was reduced to 50,000 for the 2013 Stones concert, and less still for other bands".

ycagwywpmd, I think the crowd of each Stones concert in Hyde Park was 65,000 in 2013.

Date: November 29, 2017 00:30

Kind of OT to this topic (don;t know where else to post it), but heard a "happened on this day" segment on my classic rock radio station.

To paraphrase:

"15 years ago today the Stones played the Joint in Las Vegas - it was overpriced, oversold, overcrowded, lousy sightlines for many, a stale setlist, and the critics let them have it"

Having been at the show myself, I would agree it was overpriced and a stale/standard setlist, but I had a decent seat about half way back and tall enough to see over the overcrowdedness. The most I've ever paid to see the Stones, and the first time ever seeing them in a club - I bit the bullet and bought a ticket (apprx. $1,000 face eye popping smiley )not knowing I'd be travelling to Europe in the summer of '03 to see several other club/theater shows at about a tenth of that price or less. Anyhow, I left the show feeling semi-satisfied, but in comparison to other small shows I saw later it was definitely the most lackluster.

---------------------------------------------

Back on topic - hoping the Stones play at least one small club show in London during the upcoming tour, and I'm not talking about a private show, but one for the fans at reasonable prices. thumbs up

Date: November 29, 2017 01:10

laertisflash
"...But following decisions made by The Powers That Be, I think this was reduced to 50,000 for the 2013 Stones concert, and less still for other bands".

ycagwywpmd, I think the crowd of each Stones concert in Hyde Park was 65,000 in 2013.

And way more than 100.000 in 1969..

Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: November 29, 2017 07:19

I am very happy that the UK is going to get a small tour next year. Ya'all do get short handed at times and I am very glad you are finally getting another ample chance to catch a series of shows in your area.

I want to ask .. is there / are there any word on a tour in the US. You would think with the release of an album this would be the gist of things.

A late spring / early summer tour of the UK and then a fall tour of the US would be so called for.

Any word on that?

Date: November 29, 2017 07:25

IanBillen
I am very happy that the UK is going to get a small tour next year. Ya'all do get short handed at times and I am very glad you are finally getting another ample chance to catch a series of shows in your area.

I want to ask .. is there / are there any word on a tour in the US. You would think with the release of an album this would be the gist of things.

A late spring / early summer tour of the UK and then a fall tour of the US would be so called for.

Any word on that?

Rumours of Australian dates abound Ian: Stones in OZ late summer 2018

By the way Ian, I always assumed you were from England, yet your post above gives the impression you're from somewhere else?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-29 07:27 by Hairball.

Date: November 29, 2017 09:25

Hairball
IanBillen

Any word on that?

By the way Ian, I always assumed you were from England, yet your post above gives the impression you're from somewhere else?

Howdy. No .. the name 'Ian' is English (Scottish) ... but actually I am in the U.S. ... (Ohio).

This would perhaps mark the first time since 1973 ... Goats Head Soup that The Stones will release a studio album without it's headlining tour (/world) starting first in the states .. Am I wrong there?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 29, 2017 09:41

IanBillen
This would perhaps mark the first time since 1973 ... Goats Head Soup that The Stones will release a studio album without it's headlining tour (/world) starting first in the states .. Am I wrong there?

Black And Blue?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: November 29, 2017 09:50

There will be NO new album before the 18 tour I'm pretty sure. And if I'm wrong they won't play more than 2-3 songs off it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-29 09:53 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Date: November 29, 2017 10:01

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

Any word on that?

Howdy. No .. the name 'Ian' is English (Scottish) ... but actually I am in the U.S. ... (Ohio).

Like Ian Anderson (musician) and Ian Botham (cricketer) among others...anyhow, greetings from California. smileys with beer

You seem to be quite sure that the supposed new album will be released before or will coincide the UK tour - what is your reasoning behind this?!!! winking smiley

Monsoon Ragoon
There will be NO new album before the 18 tour I'm pretty sure. And if I'm wrong they won't play more than 2-3 songs off it.

I would tend to agree with this...I'm thinking new album in '19 at the earliest, but time will tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-29 10:04 by Hairball.

Date: November 29, 2017 10:07

Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

Any word on that?

Like Ian Anderson (musician) and Ian Botham (cricketer) among others...anyhow, greetings from California. smileys with beer

You seem to be quite sure that the supposed new album will be released before or will coincide the UK tour - what is your reasoning behind this?!!! winking smiley

Monsoon Ragoon

I would tend to agree with this...I'm thinking new album in '19 at the earliest, but time will tell.

Lol .. it BETTER not be in 2019! grinning smiley ... I mean if that's the case I'm throwing in the towel mate. Im not sure the album will come out before the UK tour. I expect it by early fall either way.

I used to live in California as well .. Van Nuys and then Granada Hills .. 2006-2008

Date: November 29, 2017 10:16

erikjjf
IanBillen

Black And Blue?

And Between The Buttons.

Date: November 29, 2017 19:32

IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen
Hairball
IanBillen

Any word on that?

Monsoon Ragoon

Lol .. it BETTER not be in 2019! grinning smiley ... I mean if that's the case I'm throwing in the towel mate. Im not sure the album will come out before the UK tour. I expect it by early fall either way.

I used to live in California as well .. Van Nuys and then Granada Hills .. 2006-2008

I hope it's sooner rather than later, but it's really hard to pinpoint anything based on what little we really know. That said, NEVER throw in the towel!!!

I went to Cal State Northridge for graduate school way back when - right next to Granada Hills.
You might be familiar with A & W Seafood Restaurant - really great Chinese food! smiling smiley

Anyhow, don't want to clog up this thread with mysterious new album news or Chinese food memories!

Anxious to hear any snippets of news and/or rumours regarding the upcoming UK tour...I thought the deal was as good as done!
But as long as they're touring and alive and well, and whether there's a new album or not, life is good with the Rolling Stones....55 years an counting...smileys with beer

Posted by: belld ()
Date: November 29, 2017 19:41

Ian or Iain is Scottish Gaelic for John. Slainte is cheers

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 29, 2017 21:21

belld
Ian or Iain is Scottish Gaelic for John. Slainte is cheers

Correct. Nothing English about Ia(i)n.

Another notable variation is Euan/Ewan. My Uncle has the former spelling and his son the latter.

Date: November 29, 2017 21:25

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 29, 2017 23:07

I think that the Gaelic is Eoin (with long accent on the 'o').

= 'John' where the J has become a Y - (cf German Johannes pron Yohannes)

Eoin became anglicised to Iain, and the emphasis switched to first syllable, I think

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 127

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home