Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 127
Re: 2018 Tour of UK
Posted by: Nate ()
Date: November 10, 2017 15:10

scoreboardpaddock
I think they should do Blackpool considering it'd be exactly 10 years since there ban from the town was lifted!

There's no venue there for a big gig but a nice warm up show would be good winking smiley

Removing your limbs with a hacksaw would be a more enjoyable experience than spending a day in Blackpool.

Nate

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: November 10, 2017 15:37

grzegorz67
scoreboardpaddock
I think they should do Blackpool considering it'd be exactly 10 years since there ban from the town was lifted!

There's no venue there for a big gig but a nice warm up show would be good winking smiley

Bloomfield Road grinning smiley ?

Spud
odean73
Spud
It's a pity the Sheffield Don Valley Stadium is no longer with us.

They played it three times in the 90 s & noughties ....must have liked it.

The sound was always good because it wasn't a fully enclosed football type stadium with towering stands on all sides.

Quite liked the don valley, i went when it was raining and made quite an atmosphere, everything was convenient.

Ah, B2B Tour ....pissed it down for about 30 mins of the set .
Great fun though grinning smiley

At the VL show in '95, it was a warm, sunny evening. Only my 2nd ever Stones show. It was only built in 1990 for the World Student Games and demolished just 23 years after construction. Sheffield City Council couldn't afford to run it. Liked that venue and clearly the Stones did too as they returned twice - an absolutely scandalous waste of resources.

That show in '95 was my first show, aged 11. Life-changing!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 10, 2017 15:46

StonesSmeth99
grzegorz67
scoreboardpaddock

Spud
odean73
Spud

The sound was always good because it wasn't a fully enclosed football type stadium with towering stands on all sides.

Quite liked the don valley, i went when it was raining and made quite an atmosphere, everything was convenient.

At the VL show in '95, it was a warm, sunny evening. Only my 2nd ever Stones show. It was only built in 1990 for the World Student Games and demolished just 23 years after construction. Sheffield City Council couldn't afford to run it. Liked that venue and clearly the Stones did too as they returned twice - an absolutely scandalous waste of resources.

Good one to pick. Only my 2nd, aged 28. The UK got one tour after '82 and up to that night hence my lack of gigs by then. We got 24 or 25 songs that night IIRC. Loved 'It's all over now' on that tour. Satisfaction 6 or 7 songs in from the start worked well too, not to mention the £25 GA tickets winking smiley

Date: November 10, 2017 16:09

Nate
scoreboardpaddock

Removing your limbs with a hacksaw would be a more enjoyable experience than spending a day in Blackpool.

Nate

You must be proper boring then.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 10, 2017 16:34

With the Winter Garden & the Tower Ballroom being exquisite exceptions, there is absolutely nothing worth romanticizing about Blackpool.

It's full of cafe's, b&b's , arcade's, poundshops, gambling shops & Wetherspoons pubs.....and these are just the 'legal' establishments.

It's the archetypal run down , once proud town. A victim of decade's long council & local government mismanagement. A victim of neglect & globalisation.

It's a hell hole, like so many other UK towns in 2017.

That often- deluded old wag, Morrissey, got it spot on 30 years ago, in his masterpiece "Everyday Is Like Sunday"

There is zero chance of the Stones going anywhere near the place, only maybe flying 30,000 feet above it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-10 16:37 by Adrian-L.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: November 10, 2017 21:34

Adrian-L
With the Winter Garden & the Tower Ballroom being exquisite exceptions, there is absolutely nothing worth romanticizing about Blackpool.

It's full of cafe's, b&b's , arcade's, poundshops, gambling shops & Wetherspoons pubs.....and these are just the 'legal' establishments.

It's the archetypal run down , once proud town. A victim of decade's long council & local government mismanagement. A victim of neglect & globalisation.

That often- deluded old wag, Morrissey, got it spot on 30 years ago, in his masterpiece "Everyday Is Like Sunday"

There is zero chance of the Stones going anywhere near the place, only maybe flying 30,000 feet above it.

I can't imagine Sir Mick & Co being concerned about how pretty the town is or isn't. Surely, when it comes to venues, bums on seats = money in the bank, is about it from their point of view?

Date: November 10, 2017 22:42

Adrian-L

Most of what you've said also applies to Swindon, another town played by the Stones a couple of times in their early career and where I work. It's a story repeated up and down the land with town centres being taken over by low end retail outlets, Wetherspoons, interspersed by empty shop units and derelict shut down pubs. Major cities like London, Manchester and Edinburgh are fine but medium town/small city centres are dying on their feet for all the reasons you suggest. Someone needs to sort it and forget local government as most Councils are skint. So the tour will be glamorous cities only I think, places where tickets will sell. Or out of town stadia with good transport links.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: November 10, 2017 22:51

Manchester, that’s it, I will need a Manchester United link
to close my England RS sales pitch. And a magic lump sum o’ $$$

Date: November 10, 2017 23:03

ycagwywpmd
Adrian-L

I can't imagine Sir Mick & Co being concerned about how pretty the town is or isn't. Surely, when it comes to venues, bums on seats = money in the bank, is about it from their point of view?

There is an English television show called the Jeremy Kyle show,if you look for this on YouTube you will see the type of people that live in Blackpool.
Go and watch it then see if you still think the Stones would go anywhere near it.

Nate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-10 23:04 by Nate.

Date: November 10, 2017 23:23

Nate
ycagwywpmd
Adrian-L

There is an English television show called the Jeremy Kyle show,if you look for this on YouTube you will see the type of people that live in Blackpool.
Go and watch it then see if you still think the Stones would go anywhere near it.

Nate

You get people like that everywhere Nate. Inverness,Plymouth, London, Swansea and all points in between. Jeremy Kyle is an absolute tosser. He invites deadbeat chavs, usually with messy personal lives, onto his programme and takes the piss out of them, in a bullying sort of a way. I'm fairly sure he does a US based version of his show too. A public freak show - barrel scraping lowest common denominator TV. Quite cruel really.

The Stones will play major urban centres with suitable venues and good transport links. As they usually do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-10 23:26 by grzegorz67.

Date: November 10, 2017 23:36

Most of the women in that town are about as attractive as the bull terrier dogs they are walking with whilst on their way to the social security office.
Jagger won't be going there end of story.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: November 11, 2017 00:10

They won't be going there, regardless of anything.

Same as they won't come to Brum.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: November 11, 2017 00:56

100 Club, O2 Hammersmith.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 11, 2017 02:58

There is a rumour going round, they will play June 1, 2018 in Sticky Fingers, London.
Bill and Mick T. will be there.
Jeroen

Date: November 11, 2017 02:59

corriecas
There is a rumour going round, they will play June 1, 2018 in Sticky Fingers, London.
Jeroen

Sorry, it was a joke.
haha
jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2017 03:05

corriecas
corriecas
Jeroen

Sorry, it was a joke.
haha
jeroen

Too late, the rumour is already spreading like wildfire!
It's now being called the "Back to the Roots Tour 2018"...playing in clubs, theaters, and restaurants across the land! winking smiley

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 11, 2017 03:34

Hairball
corriecas
corriecas
Jeroen

Sorry, it was a joke.
haha
jeroen

Too late, the rumour is already spreading like wildfire!
It's now being called the "Back to the Roots Tour 2018"...playing in clubs, theaters, and restaurants across the land! winking smiley

Not yet confirmed that it'll be sponsored by

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: November 11, 2017 10:03

StonesSmeth99
grzegorz67
scoreboardpaddock

Spud
odean73
Spud

Just going to share the love for Don Valley. Only went there once in 2006 for ABB. Great little venue and the Club show of the tour. I think around 35,000

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-11 10:06 by exhpart.

Date: November 11, 2017 13:22

corriecas
corriecas
Jeroen

Sorry, it was a joke.
haha
jeroen

It might be some kind of show there, though... winking smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 11, 2017 15:07

All they need for a gig is a large area and a crowd, and a fence so that they can ask for money before the crowd enter through gates. They can do a gig any place, like Spielberg, Lucca, Werchter, all they need is a large field with space for 60,000 people,plus beer and T-shirt sales. So start saving up, next year there will be more shows, in UK.

Bjornulf

Date: November 11, 2017 16:17

bv
All they need for a gig is a large area and a crowd, and a fence so that they can ask for money before the crowd enter through gates. They can do a gig any place, like Spielberg, Lucca, Werchter, all they need is a large field with space for 60,000 people,plus beer and T-shirt sales. So start saving up, next year there will be more shows, in UK.

June,July and August???
Jeroen

Date: November 11, 2017 17:22

bv

Honestly Bjornulf if I may ask-
I looked up ‘Werchter’ 3-day festival 300,000 people
Do you actually enjoy these anymore?
And I don’t mean ‘at your age’ or maybe I do
I’m 50 and am fit but these massive herds of people waiting outside for hours and hours...
Not my thing.

Date: November 11, 2017 17:25

35love
bv

I’m 50 and am fit but these massive herds of people waiting outside for hours and hours...
Not my thing.

Bjornulf states..in UK. So maybe that means no shows in Holland,Belgium???
Jeroen

Date: November 11, 2017 17:50

corriecas
35love
bv

Not my thing.

Jeroen

*I meant a question of these massive long festivals- with general admission.
I read some accounts of ‘No Filter’ and.... didn't sound great for some folks
(Not the RS show itself, obviously)
Maybe I’m showing my American because SD Zip, hotel next door, tickets to my own direct seat with clear queues etc.
But it is real the fans are older now too.

Date: November 11, 2017 18:00

35love
corriecas
35love
bv

Not my thing.

Jeroen

Maybe I’m showing my American because SD Zip, hotel next door, tickets to my own direct seat with clear queues etc.

I know what you mean. I feel the same. My wife and me had a long day in Lucca. were at the field at 1300 o clock and back at 0100 at our lodge.
we said to eachother, never gonna do this again. we both are 57, not THAT old, but, .... No gimme a seat with a good view, or a Pit ticket anyday.
May do the Isle of Man thing(IF they play there), but just to visit the Island and catch the Stones.
jeroen

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2017 20:09

corriecas
35love
corriecas
35love
bv

Not my thing.

Jeroen

I know what you mean. I feel the same. My wife and me had a long day in Lucca. were at the field at 1300 o clock and back at 0100 at our lodge.
we said to eachother, never gonna do this again. we both are 57, not THAT old, but, .... No gimme a seat with a good view, or a Pit ticket anyday.
May do the Isle of Man thing(IF they play there), but just to visit the Island and catch the Stones.
jeroen

The Desert Trip shows were quite comfortable, but then again the organizers had an older crowd in mind. Different categories of reserved seating, as well as a pit section for those ready and willing for it. Having experienced the Pit for weekend two, it was literally a walk in the park. Aside from the few who braved the heat all day to be on the rail, most casually walked in an out throughout the day including myself. About a half hour before the shows started each night, I made my move and ended up being on the rail myself - right on the catwalk for the Stones about 10 back from the main stage, and even closer for The Who, Neil, and Dylan. Opted for the back of the pit leaning on the back rail for Roger Waters to soak in all the visual spectacle, but could have made it to front rail if I wanted. Then there was the air conditioned state of the art bathrooms, multiple food and drink stands (and an art gallery!), proper shuttle system to and from, etc., etc., etc. Obviously this all can't happen at all open air festival style shows, but if they utilized just a few of those leisures, a good time would be had by most.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 11, 2017 20:27

Nate
Most of the women in that town are about as attractive as the bull terrier dogs they are walking with whilst on their way to the social security office.
Jagger won't be going there end of story.

Nate spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Ah, Nate you are ignoring the fact that 'Strictly Come Dancing' which is about the UK's most popular TV show at the moment is doing a broadcast from Blackpool next week. So what's good enough for Tess Daly etc should be good enough for our boys.
Also, Blackpool is very close to the Isle of Man which must be due a visit (last time 1964?).
It is also a Tax Haven (disputed by its Chief Officer of course), so that would be of great interest to Sir Mick.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 11, 2017 20:37

I am mentioning fields and parks because some think it takes a large stadium to make a Stones show in UK. They did a park in Hamburg - Stadpark. They played next to the wall on a grass field in Lucca. If the field is central, I am fine with a field. Both Hamburg and Lucca were great locations, while Spielberg was a nightmare travel wise. I am sure the UK tour will be great, when they have got it all sorted out.

Bjornulf

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: November 11, 2017 21:23

DandelionPowderman
corriecas
corriecas
Jeroen

Sorry, it was a joke.
haha
jeroen

It might be some kind of show there, though... winking smiley

Hmmmm...cryptic. grinning smiley

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: November 11, 2017 22:05

bv
I am mentioning fields and parks because some think it takes a large stadium to make a Stones show in UK. They did a park in Hamburg - Stadpark. They played next to the wall on a grass field in Lucca. If the field is central, I am fine with a field. Both Hamburg and Lucca were great locations, while Spielberg was a nightmare travel wise. I am sure the UK tour will be great, when they have got it all sorted out.

Roundhay 35th year anniversary?! ;-) hope so...

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 127

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1196
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home