Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 127
Re: 2018 Tour of U.K.
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 8, 2017 21:52

powerage78
Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin reunion two huge highlights.
Stones Knebworth return is a real one but seems also almost a secondary event...

Just as they were at Desert Trip...for me anyways. The Who, Neil Young, and Roger Waters were the ultimate highlights and it was three completely different shows. My final judgment is it was a three way tie as to who was the best. Meanwhile, the Stones were the Stones and Dylan was Dylan...good fun but nothing really over the top spectacular. And then there was Paul McCartney...it was nice to have him there, but having seen him a couple of times before it was almost a been there done that type of show.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: October 8, 2017 22:17

swimtothemoon
roller99
The third band IS Pink Floyd, and locations are already chosen.

Thanks for the news Roller! Anymore details? Assuming David and Rodger?

All the remaining members.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-12 17:42 by roller99.

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: October 9, 2017 01:01

Would be great if Bill played with them again at one of these UK gigs

Posted by: GJB ()
Date: October 9, 2017 01:39

If Waters is playing solo shows in summer next year (e.g. Hyde Park) to me it seems unlikely that a few weeks later a Pink Floyd Reunion would happen... It just doesn't seem to fit.

Also I can't imagine the Stones wanting to bow out as 'second fiddle' on a mammoth weekend of music, so even if they do play Knebworth, I would imagine that a string of their own gigs in London will follow to mark the end.

Just speculation mind.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: October 9, 2017 02:15

The Stones won't be happy playing 2nd fiddle to anyone, anywhere under any circumstances. I'd find a Pink Floyd Reunion hard to envisage. After Live 8 Dave Gilmour was asked for his thoughts on playing alongside Roger Waters again. He said it was "like sleeping with my ex-wife".

Live 8 was 15-20 minutes on stage. I just can't see them doing a 2 hour show together. There's far too much bad blood there and don't forget they had a very nasty court case in the 1980s when Waters tried to stop the rest of the band continuing without him under the name of Pink Floyd.

Posted by: curt ()
Date: October 9, 2017 02:55

A couple of months back my mind flirted with the notion of a 2018 UK Tour.

It spit back something I saw as elegant and simple.

14 gigs.

Twelve (3 each in Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England) in the following format:

Pub gigs. Day of announcements. Be there or be square...

And then a pair in some huge outdoor setting.

Any thoughts on how this could be priced out ??

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 9, 2017 10:12

grzegorz67
The Stones won't be happy playing 2nd fiddle to anyone, anywhere under any circumstances. I'd find a Pink Floyd Reunion hard to envisage. After Live 8 Dave Gilmour was asked for his thoughts on playing alongside Roger Waters again. He said it was "like sleeping with my ex-wife".

Live 8 was 15-20 minutes on stage. I just can't see them doing a 2 hour show together. There's far too much bad blood there and don't forget they had a very nasty court case in the 1980s when Waters tried to stop the rest of the band continuing without him under the name of Pink Floyd.

However, there is a big difference.
Sleeping with your ex wife doesn't generally result in a seven figure pay day.
Playing on stage with former colleagues from 40 years ago just might.
"Money doesn't talk, it swears'. (Dylan).

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 9, 2017 12:09

jlowe
grzegorz67

However, there is a big difference.
Sleeping with your ex wife doesn't generally result in a seven figure pay day.
Playing on stage with former colleagues from 40 years ago just might.
"Money doesn't talk, it swears'. (Dylan).

And there's the fact that David Gilmour and Roger Waters have somewhat patched up their differences. Waters joined Gilmour on stage in 2010 at the the small Hoping Foundation benefit show where they played Wish You Were Here and Comfortably Numb, as well as a cover of To Know him is to Love Him which was seen as a reference to their own friendship.

Roger Waters:
"I quote (David), 'If you do 'To Know Him Is to Love Him' for the Hoping Foundation Gig, I'll come and do 'C. Numb' on one of your Wall shows.'
Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather. How f*cking cool! I was blown away. How could I refuse such an offer. I couldn't, there was no way".

David Gilmour:
"we had a great time. We got fairly pissed drunk afterward for a few hours. Then he goes his way and I go mine".

So in return, Gilmour kept his side of the deal and guested at one of Rogers Wall shows in London in 2011, singing and blasting the solo from Comfortably Numb from high atop the Wall - just like he did back in '80/'81.

Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: October 10, 2017 17:54

I really don't have much interest in seeing a U.K. 'Desert Trip' kind of thing but I would love to spend a week in the UK next summer and see a few shows. As much as I wanted to make Paris happen on this tour it just wasn't in the cards. I have a good childhood friend that lives in London, if this tour actually comes together I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-10 17:55 by Gaetzi.

Date: October 10, 2017 18:48

GJB
If Waters is playing solo shows in summer next year (e.g. Hyde Park) to me it seems unlikely that a few weeks later a Pink Floyd Reunion would happen... It just doesn't seem to fit.

Also I can't imagine the Stones wanting to bow out as 'second fiddle' on a mammoth weekend of music, so even if they do play Knebworth, I would imagine that a string of their own gigs in London will follow to mark the end.

Just speculation mind.

This thread isn't just about Knebworth, The Stones already have sites picked out in the UK.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: October 10, 2017 18:50

LongBeachArena72
mtaylor
LongBeachArena72
I think 2018 UK was one of their best tours, to be honest. And perhaps one of their last. Kind of ragged at first, but that's to be expected. Eventually, the band really "locked in" and delivered a knockout blow that last night at the O2.

The best concert from 2018 was definitely Knebworth - they played 2.5 hours and Bill and Mick T came on stage for the 3 songs encore.

Ahh, Knebworth. That was a lovely night. The lads really brought it home, didn't they?

Are you all visiting from the future...?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: October 10, 2017 20:01

grzegorz67
roller99
Scotland is a go.

Excellent. I'm a native so I'll be there! For those non Scots attending, be prepared for a wild audience grinning smiley I was at BtB Edinburgh in 1999 and Licks Glasgow Show 1 in 2003. The Wildest Audiences in Northern Europe for sure and perhaps not far behind those in the South.

Yes, Scotland would be a must! This Yank saw AC/DC in Glasgow in 2015. It was one of the best crowds I've been a part of for any concert!

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: October 10, 2017 21:24

powerage78
Stones Knebworth return is a real one but seems also almost a secondary event...

Neither band will reunite.

Date: October 10, 2017 21:45

Woz
powerage78

Neither band will reunite.

That's what I said last year when the LZ rumors started floating around, because I had the same information I have this year. I have real information on this (and I'm not revealing my sources).

Got anything other than a statement?

Date: October 10, 2017 21:56

I wouldn't ask for your sources as I know how that goes! I'm just expressing my opinion based on observation and history......and I am not sure which one I find more unlikely....probably Zeppelin, but I don't see either of them happening. And I'd love to be wrong because I would fly over in an instant.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: October 10, 2017 22:17

grzegorz67

Richard Wright is not around us anymore.

[www.theguardian.com]

Mentioned by Gilmour: "Gilmour also added that it would be inappropriate to reform the band without keyboardist Richard Wright, who died in 2008: “To do it without Rick would just be wrong,” he said."

Date: October 10, 2017 22:47

Woz
I wouldn't ask for your sources as I know how that goes! I'm just expressing my opinion based on observation and history......and I am not sure which one I find more unlikely....probably Zeppelin, but I don't see either of them happening. And I'd love to be wrong because I would fly over in an instant.

Not trying to be snarky here, but that is exactly what I said last year. You hear these rumors all the time. This time it looks real though.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 10, 2017 22:58

Woz

I'm not sure if this was already posted on the Led Zeppelin thread, but I think it's worth pasting it here: [ledzepnews.com]

Date: October 10, 2017 23:13

Thanks for the link Christiano

Posted by: Karlos123 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 08:59

If they already book venues, will they still wait another 6 months or might we get an announcement earlier than usual?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: October 11, 2017 13:58

Karlos123
If they already book venues, will they still wait another 6 months or might we get an announcement earlier than usual?

There will be probably an announcement around March or April 2018.
Jeroen

Posted by: RG ()
Date: October 11, 2017 14:00

What about the Knebowrth rumours earlier this year? Is it still possible they will play there again next summer?

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 11, 2017 14:19

If they do, they'll be off stage a bit earlier than the last time.

It would be past their be times these days winking smiley

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 11, 2017 16:18

Spud
If they do, they'll be off stage a bit earlier than the last time.

It would be past their be times these days winking smiley

Same for most of the crowd. spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Date: October 11, 2017 17:09

How did UK tour tickets usually compare with the recent no filter tour prices?

Similar or usually higher?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 11, 2017 17:55

So, if the Stones have decided to embark on their first proper U.K. Tour since 1971, what can the public realistically expect? Ideally, Northern Ireland should get its first Stones show since 1965; a show apiece in Scotland and Wales; a show in the north and midlands of England - Newcastle and Birmingham, perhaps - and rounding things of with a trio of performances at North Greenwich's 02 Arena. Oh, and Knebworth, too.

Date: October 11, 2017 17:58

Old Trafford would be brilliant. Billy Joel has announced a gig their next year so they're back doing shows there after a bit of a break.

Posted by: DartfordRenegade ()
Date: October 11, 2017 21:16

Big Al
So, if the Stones have decided to embark on their first proper U.K. Tour since 1971, what can the public realistically expect? Ideally, Northern Ireland should get its first Stones show since 1965; a show apiece in Scotland and Wales; a show in the north and midlands of England - Newcastle and Birmingham, perhaps - and rounding things of with a trio of performances at North Greenwich's 02 Arena. Oh, and Knebworth, too.

That all sounds good Big Al but I personally think they should round it all off where it all began in Dartford (well at least for Mick and Keith)! They could do a few warm up club type shows at the Mick Jagger Centre and then finish up with a big show in central park as headliners at the Dartford show. Of course as that show is funded by Dartford council tax payers tickets should only be sold to people with a DA1 postcode. Don't worry as you are an ex-resident I will sort you out a ticket. grinning smiley

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: October 11, 2017 21:58

bv
UK will have it's fair share of Stones shows next summer. A whole tour, may be 10-12 shows, that is what they are talking about.

I really doubt that the UK market is big enough for 10-12 shows – especially in case they are doing a big festial show and given that the UK is going to face a severe economilcal crisis in 2018… (well, how many people in Northern England will be able to afford tickets starting at 150 GBP?)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-11 22:37 by slewan.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: October 11, 2017 22:28

slewan
bv
UK will have it's fair share of Stones shows next summer. A whole tour, may be 10-12 shows, that is what they are talking about.

I really doubt that the UK market is big enough for 10-12 shows – especially in case they are doing a big festial show and given that the UK is going to face a serve economilcal crisis in 2018… (well, how many people in Northern England will be able to afford tickets starting at 150 GBP?)

Did you mean to say "severe economic crisis"? Assuming you did, why is it a "given"?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 127

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1783
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home