Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 127
Re: 2018 Tour of U.K.
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 22, 2017 11:31

DandelionPowderman
Green Lady
DandelionPowderman
paulywaul
roller99
I thought this would be the perfect time to start this thread, with all the negativity going around here.

The Stones will be playing some dates in the U.K. in 2018. Some sites have already been chosen. Of course if they keep reading the negative comments here, they could call it off. Be nice.

Well I've just been reading the comments (and emails) from people (shock horror) that were actually there in Zurich yesterday, and by all accounts - the Rolling Stones put on an absolutely blinding performance !! Not a lot of 'negativity' in evidence, not only not from those people - but neither from me, making my own observations taking in the various youtube clips whilst reclining in my armchair !!
If
Consistency was never among IORR's stronger sides... winking smiley

Consistency has never been the Stones' strongest point either. It has always been a matter of luck whether you got a good performance or an interesting trainwreck or whether they hit it out of the park, not only from night to night but sometimes from song to song. As they get older the odds on them hitting the jackpot get longer, but they still can, and when it all comes together - wow.

Isn't that (partly) why we love them? smiling smiley

I agree, it's got a great deal to do with why we love them !

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 22, 2017 14:47

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
mtaylor
LongBeachArena72
I think 2018 UK was one of their best tours, to be honest. And perhaps one of their last. Kind of ragged at first, but that's to be expected. Eventually, the band really "locked in" and delivered a knockout blow that last night at the O2.

The best concert from 2018 was definitely Knebworth - they played 2.5 hours and Bill and Mick T came on stage for the 3 songs encore.

Ahh, Knebworth. That was a lovely night. The lads really brought it home, didn't they?

Wait, were you guys actually there at these shows? And if so, am I allowed to chime in based on what I've seen on youtube?
Or...were none of us there and we're just having a mild mannered conversation/critique based on what we think we know via youtube videos?
And if the above is true...should we all be silent and just rely on the opinions of a small handful that were actually in attendance?

Ahhh...never mind.winking smiley

ps - Just watched Gimme Shelter for the 110th time on TCM cable channel, and I could have sworn it looked like someone was violently attacked during the show.
But I can't be sure if it really happened as I wasn't at the show (I was only six tears old!)...hmmm...can anyone who was there please verify?

No, you can't chime in. Only those of us who attended these concerts next year that haven't happened yet are qualified to comment. This has been made clear time and time again, HB; try to keep up.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 22, 2017 15:43

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
mtaylor
LongBeachArena72
I think 2018 UK was one of their best tours, to be honest. And perhaps one of their last. Kind of ragged at first, but that's to be expected. Eventually, the band really "locked in" and delivered a knockout blow that last night at the O2.

The best concert from 2018 was definitely Knebworth - they played 2.5 hours and Bill and Mick T came on stage for the 3 songs encore.

Ahh, Knebworth. That was a lovely night. The lads really brought it home, didn't they?

Wait, were you guys actually there at these shows? And if so, am I allowed to chime in based on what I've seen on youtube?
Or...were none of us there and we're just having a mild mannered conversation/critique based on what we think we know via youtube videos?
And if the above is true...should we all be silent and just rely on the opinions of a small handful that were actually in attendance?

ps - Just watched Gimme Shelter for the 110th time on TCM cable channel, and I could have sworn it looked like someone was violently attacked during the show.
But I can't be sure if it really happened as I wasn't at the show (I was only six tears old!)...hmmm...can anyone who was there please verify?

I think if you actually were there, but were watching through your phone lens, that would roughly be the equivalence of seeing it on youtube...so where does that leave us in the pecking order?

Date: September 22, 2017 15:54

treaclefingers
I think if you actually were there, but were watching through your phone lens, that would roughly be the equivalence of seeing it on youtube...so where does that leave us in the pecking order?

It's an interesting question with no possibility of a reasonable answer. Therefore, of course, I'll take a stab at summarizing what we know so far as the pecking order (subject to revision based on addtl reports from the field, naturally):

1) people at the show who have seen the band more than 100 times and are not filming the show with their phones
2) people at home who have seen the band more than 100 times
3) people at the show who have seen the band more than 100 times but are watching the show through their phones
4) people at the show who have seen the band between 10 and 100 times and are not viewing the show through their phones
5) people at home who have seen the band between 10 and 100 times
6) people at the show who have seen the band between 10 and 100 times but are watching the show through their phones
7) people at the show who have seen the band 0-10 times and are not filming the show with their phones

etc.

There's a trickier "weighting" factor which dictates how seriously to take the posts from individuals in the groups above but it's far too early in the morning to get into that folderol-and-fiddle-dee-dee. But it exists.

Date: September 22, 2017 16:03

Why don't you 5 year olds ask Bjørnulf if he will make a cellphone/YouTube-thread for you? smoking smiley

Looking forward to England/Scotland 2018, as in being there, seeing the show (without a phone) thumbs up

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: September 22, 2017 16:18

DandelionPowderman
Why don't you 5 year olds ask Bjørnulf if he will make a cellphone/YouTube-thread for you? smoking smiley

Looking forward to England/Scotland 2018, as in being there, seeing the show (without a phone) thumbs up

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Date: September 22, 2017 16:39

DandelionPowderman
Why don't you 5 year olds

I am suitably chastened and will henceforth defer to my emotional elders.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 22, 2017 17:51

DandelionPowderman

See you here. You'll certainly enjoy the cheap(er) beer smileys with beer

Don't forget Wales, which is also very likely to get a show I'd think, if they're planning an extended UK tour. In Cardiff there's the excellent Principality Stadium ( formerly the Millenium Stadium), capacity 72,000 which has excellent acoustics, roof open or closed. They played there on the ABB Tour in August 2006. I was there and it was fun, even though only a few months after the coconut tree caper.

Unusually for such a big stadium, it's right in the City Centre, a very short walk from the rail and bus stations.

Date: September 22, 2017 17:52

grzegorz67
DandelionPowderman

See you here. You'll certainly enjoy the cheap(er) beer smileys with beer

Don't forget Wales, which is also very likely to get a show I'd think, if they're planning an extended UK tour. In Cardiff there's the excellent Principality Stadium ( formerly the Millenium Stadium), capacity 72,000 which has excellent acoustics, roof open or closed. They played there on the ABB Tour in August 2006. I was there and it was fun, even though only a few months after the coconut tree caper.

Unusually for such a big stadium, it's right in the City Centre, a very short walk from the rail and bus stations.

A friend of mine was there in 2006. He said the show was excellent, and he's not a fan smiling smiley

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 22, 2017 19:28

if scotland is a go, thats great news as im from just outside glasgow.

hopefully they do hampden park.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: September 22, 2017 19:33

if its glasgow, travelodge in queen street is the place to stay.

Date: September 22, 2017 19:34

buttons67
if scotland is a go, thats great news as im from just outside glasgow.

hopefully they do hampden park.

Me too (Hamilton, got its only Stones gig to date in 1964 - in a hotel smiling smiley ).

In reality, it could be Murrayfield or Parkhead too. I'd personally prefer Murrayfield as I don't like Hampden much but will still go if it's there.
Wherever it is, hopefully not too many neds will show up. They can be a problem eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-22 19:36 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: September 22, 2017 19:55

Nate
DandelionPowderman

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

The last P.A. The Stones used that I knew the cost of was on the bridges tour and they said it was around 3 million[US]surly Dandy you can't be inferring that the one they use now 20 years later is better than the sound on my iPhone.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 22, 2017 20:10

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
mtaylor
LongBeachArena72

No, you can't chime in. Only those of us who attended these concerts next year that haven't happened yet are qualified to comment. This has been made clear time and time again, HB; try to keep up.

OK. sad smiley lol

Seeing (in the future) that Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor were at great Knebworth '18 show - aka "best ever", can you confirm whether or not they will be at any of the other UK shows?
Having said the UK '18 tour was the one of their best, I'm assuming you attended all of them? Especially curious about any of the London shows, and specifically the three nights they played at the historic Royal Albert Hall.

smiling smiley

Date: September 23, 2017 01:48

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
mtaylor
LongBeachArena72

OK. sad smiley lol

Seeing (in the future) that Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor were at great Knebworth '18 show - aka "best ever", can you confirm whether or not they will be at any of the other UK shows?
Having said the UK '18 tour was the one of their best, I'm assuming you attended all of them? Especially curious about any of the London shows, and specifically the three nights they played at the historic Royal Albert Hall.

smiling smiley

Alas, no, Bill and Mick T were only at Knebworth; while the show overall was great some found it a tad disappointing that Bill only appeared on a rushed "Look What the Cat Dragged In," while Taylor fans had to content themselves with their boy banging a tambourine on "Moon Is Up."

Yes, I did attend all of the 2018 shows in the UK, although by "attend" I mean I watched them on YouTube, and by "watched" I mean I occasionally glanced up from my Tintin comic to see what was going on on-screen. The third night at the Albert Hall was truly magical: during the second encore (after the band had been joined onstage by Angela Davis on maracas during "Sweet Black Angel,"), Brian Jones appeared via hologram! Alas, due to a glitch in the booth, Brian's "part" showed "him" playing the marimbas from "Under My Thumb" ... the rest of the band, alas, was plowing their way through "Miss You."

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 23, 2017 01:58

Lol smileys with beer

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: September 24, 2017 02:58

Is there really a market (at the current prices) for a full blown UK tour or is it going to be a couple of shows like in 2013 tacked on to tour of European countries not visited this time around...although looking at the map there aren't too many of these [iorr.org]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: September 24, 2017 03:36

Hairball
LongBeachArena72
mtaylor
LongBeachArena72

I actually was at Knebworth in 1977 - it was my first Stones show!!!!!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 24, 2017 04:13

gotdablouse
Is there really a market (at the current prices) for a full blown UK tour or is it going to be a couple of shows like in 2013 tacked on to tour of European countries not visited this time around...although looking at the map there aren't too many of these [iorr.org]

I'm hopeful they'll do another North American tour right before the UK tour, similar to 2013. Plenty of ripe markets they haven't hit in 10+ years. Seattle, Vancouver, Portland,San Francisco, Edmonton, Calgary, Denver etc..

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 24, 2017 05:12

sarahunwin
I actually was at Knebworth in 1977 - it was my first Stones show!!!!!

It was actually 1976 if you saw the Stones there. Unless of course you were watching a video broadcast at Knebworth in 1977 showing highlights of the prior year in which case your ability to judge is best left to those who care more than someone reaching for low hanging fruit like I am tonight.

Date: September 24, 2017 12:15

gotdablouse

Yes. It will be 5 years since their last gig here by then. Also don't underestimate the effect of it being their home country and the strong possibility that it will be their last shows here. Besides, lots of tourist fans will visit from afar.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 24, 2017 14:22

Touring-wise, the U.K. has been short-changed since 1971. London may play host regularly, but elsewhere, definitely not. All large city's would be major sell-out's for the Stones: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds Glasgow, Cardiff, etc. How about Belfast? 1965? Ridiculous. Birmingham and Leeds haven't received visits since 1973 and 1982 respectively. No, if time is really no-longer on their side, the U.K. deserves more than a couple of token London shows tagged-on at the end of a European tour.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 24, 2017 14:38

Big Al
Touring-wise, the U.K. has been short-changed since 1971. London may play host regularly, but elsewhere, definitely not. All large city's would be major sell-out's for the Stones: London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds Glasgow, Cardiff, etc. How about Belfast? 1965? Ridiculous. Birmingham and Leeds haven't received visits since 1973 and 1982 respectively. No, if time is really no-longer on their side, the U.K. deserves more than a couple of token London shows tagged-on at the end of a European tour.

So true, would love them to come to Birmingham.

I do like going to london, but it would be nice to do the two.

Date: September 24, 2017 14:51

Big Al

I agree, No UK shows outside London (apart from Glastonbury) since Cardiff in August 2006. Very disappointing. Especially In Scotland and the North of Englsnd where audiences are invariably much livelier than in the South . In fairness to Belfast, a city I know, there aren't any outdoor venues big enough to host a show, unless they play in a park somewhere. Windsor Park is Northern Ireland's biggest stadium, and it holds just under 18,500 people. And it's just been redeveloped!

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 24, 2017 15:34

LongBeachArena72
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
Hairball
LongBeachArena72
mtaylor
LongBeachArena72

OK. sad smiley lol

smiling smiley

Alas, no, Bill and Mick T were only at Knebworth; while the show overall was great some found it a tad disappointing that Bill only appeared on a rushed "Look What the Cat Dragged In," while Taylor fans had to content themselves with their boy banging a tambourine on "Moon Is Up."

Yes, I did attend all of the 2018 shows in the UK, although by "attend" I mean I watched them on YouTube, and by "watched" I mean I occasionally glanced up from my Tintin comic to see what was going on on-screen. The third night at the Albert Hall was truly magical: during the second encore (after the band had been joined onstage by Angela Davis on maracas during "Sweet Black Angel,"), Brian Jones appeared via hologram! Alas, due to a glitch in the booth, Brian's "part" showed "him" playing the marimbas from "Under My Thumb" ... the rest of the band, alas, was plowing their way through "Miss You."

Sounds better than the 1792 tour...............smoking smiley

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 24, 2017 16:21

I'll give a shout out for them to play Leeds...we have a very nice new arena which acoustically is better than most. I was at the Roundhay Park gig in 1982 and as we know it's now been released officially due to it being a great show...similarly the Leeds University gig from 71 has gone down as a classic gig in their history (was only 10 years old so missed that one, although my older brother went) .

It's about time the North of England had a visit, and as I haven't seen them since Glastonbury it would be good to only have to travel a few miles to the gig.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: September 24, 2017 17:40

crumbling_mice
I'll give a shout out for them to play Leeds...we have a very nice new arena which acoustically is better than most. I was at the Roundhay Park gig in 1982 and as we know it's now been released officially due to it being a great show...similarly the Leeds University gig from 71 has gone down as a classic gig in their history (was only 10 years old so missed that one, although my older brother went) .

It's about time the North of England had a visit, and as I haven't seen them since Glastonbury it would be good to only have to travel a few miles to the gig.

FD arena is fabulous (seen Bruce, Cohen, Jack White, Vampire Weekend, etc there and about 20 miles for me) but can't see the economics working at 13000 capacity :-/
Roundhay would be great but suspect it'll be etihad in Manchester if there's a northern gig. Edging my bets and off to Arnhem in 3 weeks tho!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 24, 2017 18:35

LongBeachArena72

Excellent! Plz give us a detailed review of all the upcoming 2018 shows!

Date: September 24, 2017 19:12

dcba
LongBeachArena72

Excellent! Plz give us a detailed review of all the upcoming 2018 shows!

Nothing would give me greater pleasure ... alas, my dog ate the Moleskine notebook into which I jotted all my 2018 Stones-related reportage!

If memory serves, though, I can relay the following brace of anecdotes:

--In Liverpool, Charlie missed the Uber the band all shared for the ride to the arena; as a result, one Richard Starkey (in town visiting his great-aunt Matilda) was pressed into service and regaled the crowd with a sterling version of "It Don't Come Easy" sandwiched between Keith's two numbers.

--At the impromptu "club gig" at Slane Castle, Ireland, Mick and the band sang/played "She Was Hot," while Keith strummed along to "She's So Cold;" the confluence of meteorological opposites in the same "song" created a thunderstorm that cut short an otherwise memorable show.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: September 24, 2017 20:42

LongBeachArena72
--At the impromptu "club gig" at Slane Castle, Ireland, Mick and the band sang/played "She Was Hot," while Keith strummed along to "She's So Cold;" the confluence of meteorological opposites in the same "song" created a thunderstorm that cut short an otherwise memorable show.

Presumably a reference to Richards playing a different song to the rest of the band at a show on the Bang tour. I'd be interested in viewing that again but can't find it on YouTube. Does anybody have a link?

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 127

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1934
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home