Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tempos . Are the songs a bit slower ?
Posted by: jonnylamar ()
Date: September 14, 2017 12:43

Are the songs slower this tour . It feels like it . On Previous tour set lists the BPM can be seen for each song, Not anymore. Maybe it's me that's slow.

Re: Tempos . Are the songs a bit slower ?
Date: September 14, 2017 13:11

Slower than what?

This is a song people claim was very slow. Judge for yourself, compared to the original studio version:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anitapal82 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 13:14

Slower than usual. Rambler and JJF seemed very slow in Munich

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 13:43

I dont think IORR is slower then the original on the LP from 1974.

Date: September 14, 2017 13:46

I don't think ANY song is slower than on the LPs. Then again, none of them are faster, either, and that might be what people are noticing.

MR is suffering a bit because of Chuck's beats per minute-count, I guess. Apart from that, it's how they play within that beat that will make it swing or not - not the tempo in itself, imo.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: September 14, 2017 13:47

Do you really have to ask that question? All songs are slower than they used to be in concerrt. If you play Jumping Jack Flash from Hamburg 2017 on youtube and put it on 1.25 speed it will sound like how it was played 10 years ago.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-14 13:48 by TheBlockbuster.

Date: September 14, 2017 13:53

TheBlockbuster
Do you really have to ask that question? All songs are slower than they used to be in concerrt. If you play Jumping Jack Flash from Hamburg 2017 on youtube and put it on 1.25 speed it will sound like how it was played 10 years ago.

JJF 2007 and 2017:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 14, 2017 13:59

they used to be off to the races live, haha. the chemical make up may have had something to do with that. now it's more of a stroll in the park. not necessarily a bad thing in some cases.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 14, 2017 15:46

Yes they are slower. I noticed that on the last tour.

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: September 14, 2017 16:34

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

JJF 2007 and 2017:

[www.youtube.com]

Seems likely they've dialed back the BPM to accommodate Keith (or possibly Charlie).

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: September 14, 2017 17:28

DandelionPowderman

I don't think ANY song is slower than on the LPs.

Paint it black is slower then the original
It was difficult in Hamburg

Date: September 14, 2017 17:41

AntoineParis
DandelionPowderman

I don't think ANY song is slower than on the LPs.

Paint it black is slower then the original
It was difficult in Hamburg

Here's the original vs Hamburg-comparison:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 18:38

jonnylamar
Are the songs slower this tour . It feels like it . On Previous tour set lists the BPM can be seen for each song, Not anymore. Maybe it's me that's slow.

Yes, I think it was done deliberately. I also think it is nice for a change. I remember people complaning way back in the 70s, when Ron Wood joined the band on tour. The Stones became an up-tempo band in comparison with the "Mick Taylor" period ( Although? 1973? Brussels?). As an "oldie" I think I can swing during the whole concert (Amsterdam/Arnhem) at the "Hamburg pace" cool smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: September 14, 2017 18:47

Not qualified to comment musically on the tempo, other to note that their tempos have varied in the past and it is something that either comes naturally or, more likely in this case, it is something that the band decides (however they decide these things today. In the past it was probably just Keith and how he felt like playing, but today it probably with input from Mick and Charlie and even Chuck.
Another aside: Isn't the technology incredible that we can hear these concerts in our homes and then discuss them with fellow Stones fans? Whether we disagree or not, just the fact that we can have these conversations and see such sharp pictures is incredible.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: September 14, 2017 20:08

I noticed they were slower a couple of years ago, when playing Rocks Off.

1973 versions are way faster and dynamic than a couple of years ago, but thats logical, isn't it ?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2017 20:28

Is it possible they're playing to a pre-determined click track?
It's obvious with Sympathy with the pre-recorded drum loop, but maybe the rest are also set and then possibly fed to other members via an earpiece??

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 14, 2017 20:31

As someone who got into the Stones back when they used to speed up everything live, them playing at the correct tempos is something I'm still getting used. It is what it is. They're not young and amped up on coke anymore either.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: September 14, 2017 21:39

Hairball
Is it possible they're playing to a pre-determined click track?
It's obvious with Sympathy with the pre-recorded drum loop, but maybe the rest are also set and then possibly fed to other members via an earpiece??

Most likely not... Otherwise, why would Charlie be wearing headphones only on Symphony? That's the only time he's following a track (be it click or just drum loop) and thus, the only time he needs to follow a click. The rest of the time, Chuck counts (or Keith plays) and they all follow... each other.

Having worked with click tracks many times myself, the only way I could see for a click to be used with the Stones on anything other than Symphony, would be if Chuck had the click in an in-ear and everyone was following him. I'm not saying that isn't happening but I'm 99.99% sure it's not and would be absolutely AMAZED if I were to ever find out that it was.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 14, 2017 22:04

DandelionPowderman

I don't think ANY song is slower than on the LPs. Then again, none of them are faster, either, and that might be what people are noticing.

MR is suffering a bit because of Chuck's beats per minute-count, I guess. Apart from that, it's how they play within that beat that will make it swing or not - not the tempo in itself, imo.

JJF is definitely slower than the original. You don't even need to compare the two versions, it's so obvious. I don't understand why they would do that.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 23:16

I think the only song suffering is Brown Sugar, it drags a bit and doesn't have it's trademark groove.

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: September 14, 2017 23:29

I noticed it right away and think it's awesome. I wish they slowed them down years ago -

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: September 14, 2017 23:52

maybe people playing the lps at 45 smiling smiley

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-06 00:31 by MononoM.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 15, 2017 04:10

TheBlockbuster

Your response made me laugh!

Many people commented about the IORR being slower tempo on the tour opener.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: September 15, 2017 04:12

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: September 15, 2017 08:30

HonkeyTonkFlash
They're not young and amped up on coke anymore either.

The coke has been changed to valium.smoking smiley

Date: September 15, 2017 08:35

drbryant
DandelionPowderman

JJF is definitely slower than the original. You don't even need to compare the two versions, it's so obvious. I don't understand why they would do that.

Yeah, some of the songs Keith starts tend to be slower.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: September 15, 2017 09:56

They've started slowing songs down since 2002/3 in comparison to 1997, but maybe that was to create a different vibe. Don't know.

These last tours songs are slowed down to help the core members to play the changes in some songs correct.

Don't think Keith kan play rocks off anymore at it's original BPM, not that it should matter, smiling smiley, that's age

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 15, 2017 11:24

And by the way, I dont think the slower tempo has to be a problem. Bill would have shined now.

Date: September 15, 2017 11:26

Redhotcarpet
And by the way, I dont think the slower tempo has to be a problem. Bill would have shined now.

That's a good point, as it always is down to how they play a song within its tempo.

Listen to JJF from Altamont, for instance. The slowest ever, but still great.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 15, 2017 11:36

jonnylamar

What's BPM? Is that beats per minute? I thought only hearts had beats per minute.

Look on the bright side -- at least the song lasts that much longer.

The only thing sadder than the end of a good song is that last sip from a bottle, can, or glass of beer.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1808
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home